Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default AC - DC adapter

Anyone any thoughts on where I could get a replacement for one of these:
https://www.flickr.com/gp/161457453@N02/iv5D72

I've Googled but not found anything.

Christmas lights: 240v - 4v 1VA with a spade and pin plug.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2017 18:18, F wrote:

Anyone any thoughts on where I could get a replacement for one of these:
https://www.flickr.com/gp/161457453@N02/iv5D72

I've Googled but not found anything.

Christmas lights: 240v - 4v 1VA with a* spade and pin plug.

The logo on the label implies it is AC output. 1VA is very low power.

Try it with 4.5v DC (3x AA cells) and a diode in series and see what
lights up. Then take a look in Maplin if you don't mind paying throught
the nose or eBay if you are not in a hurry. The PSUs that come with a
range of connector fittings are you best bet.

4.5DC might be OK if the LED chain isn't relying on AC power to work
properly. You might get away subverting an old mobile phone charger...

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 Dec 2017 18:18:01 +0000
F news@nowhere wrote:

Anyone any thoughts on where I could get a replacement for one of
these: https://www.flickr.com/gp/161457453@N02/iv5D72

I've Googled but not found anything.

Christmas lights: 240v - 4v 1VA with a spade and pin plug.

1VA is a very low rating. I'd be inclined to try a generic USB charger
and hope it didn't make the lights go bang from moderate over-voltage
or because it's DC instead of AC.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2017 19:55, Martin Brown wrote:
On 14/12/2017 18:18, F wrote:

Anyone any thoughts on where I could get a replacement for one of
these: https://www.flickr.com/gp/161457453@N02/iv5D72

I've Googled but not found anything.

Christmas lights: 240v - 4v 1VA with a* spade and pin plug.

The logo on the label implies it is AC output. 1VA is very low power.

I saw the ~ and ignored it. Amateur hour!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2017 18:18, F wrote:

Anyone any thoughts on where I could get a replacement for one of
these: https://www.flickr.com/gp/161457453@N02/iv5D72

I've Googled but not found anything.

Christmas lights: 240v - 4v 1VA with a spade and pin plug.

The logo on the label implies it is AC output. 1VA is very low power.

I saw the ~ and ignored it. Amateur hour!

Do the light flash or do anything clever? the AC input might be used for
timing purposes?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 14 December 2017 18:18:05 UTC, F wrote:
Anyone any thoughts on where I could get a replacement for one of these:
https://www.flickr.com/gp/161457453@N02/iv5D72

I've Googled but not found anything.

Christmas lights: 240v - 4v 1VA with a spade and pin plug.

5v supply + 2 diodes

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2017 18:18, F wrote:
Anyone any thoughts on where I could get a replacement for one of these:
https://www.flickr.com/gp/161457453@N02/iv5D72

I've Googled but not found anything.

Christmas lights: 240v - 4v 1VA with a* spade and pin plug.

I like the way it says its a "safety isolating transformer" and then
tells you pin 1 is connected to the coil end.
This implies an autotransformer with a single coil and that is *not* an
isolating transformer.
When are you taking it apart to see what's actually inside?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If its ac then why the polarised connections though?
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Martin Brown" wrote in message
news
On 14/12/2017 18:18, F wrote:

Anyone any thoughts on where I could get a replacement for one of these:
https://www.flickr.com/gp/161457453@N02/iv5D72

I've Googled but not found anything.

Christmas lights: 240v - 4v 1VA with a spade and pin plug.

The logo on the label implies it is AC output. 1VA is very low power.

Try it with 4.5v DC (3x AA cells) and a diode in series and see what
lights up. Then take a look in Maplin if you don't mind paying throught
the nose or eBay if you are not in a hurry. The PSUs that come with a
range of connector fittings are you best bet.

4.5DC might be OK if the LED chain isn't relying on AC power to work
properly. You might get away subverting an old mobile phone charger...

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If you are worried, then get an lm317 three terminal regulator and a
suitable pot and get it just right on a charger with more volts out, like
one of those beefier usb ones.
It might get a bit warm. Seems odd to me if its AC though, as leds are most
definitely DC.
Brian

--
----- -

F news@nowhere wrote:

Anyone any thoughts on where I could get a replacement for one of
these:
https://www.flickr.com/gp/161457453@N02/iv5D72

I've Googled but not found anything.

Christmas lights: 240v - 4v 1VA with a spade and pin plug.

1VA is a very low rating. I'd be inclined to try a generic USB charger
and hope it didn't make the lights go bang from moderate over-voltage
or because it's DC instead of AC.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2017 18:18, F wrote:

Anyone any thoughts on where I could get a replacement for one of
these: https://www.flickr.com/gp/161457453@N02/iv5D72

I've Googled but not found anything.

Christmas lights: 240v - 4v 1VA with a* spade and pin plug.

The logo on the label implies it is AC output. 1VA is very low power.

I saw the ~ and ignored it. Amateur hour!

Do the light flash or do anything clever? the AC input might be used for
timing purposes?

Each lamp (three sticks of 12) cycles through different colours.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/12/2017 09:29, Brian Gaff wrote:

If its ac then why the polarised connections though?
Brian

It about the cheapest nastiest connector ever made.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/12/2017 09:33, Brian Gaff wrote:
If you are worried, then get an lm317 three terminal regulator and a
suitable pot and get it just right on a charger with more volts out, like
one of those beefier usb ones.
It might get a bit warm. Seems odd to me if its AC though, as leds are most
definitely DC.
Brian

Not worth the effort for such low power. Dropping 0.6v across a cheap
silicon diode or two in series will bring a 5v supply down to 4v.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/12/2017 09:34, Brian Gaff wrote:

Dangerous unless you know the diodes can take the current though.
Brian

At 1W total power mostly in the LEDs any rectifier diode like 1N4001
(about 2p each) would be well within its rating 1W @ 4v = 250mA.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 15 December 2017 10:33:16 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:
On 15/12/2017 09:29, Brian Gaff wrote:

If its ac then why the polarised connections though?
Brian

It about the cheapest nastiest connector ever made.

They used to be used for speaker connections IIRC, and few have such speakers now so they probbaly got a good deal on them from a suplier or scrap merchant

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 15 December 2017 10:41:59 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:
On 15/12/2017 09:34, Brian Gaff wrote:

Dangerous unless you know the diodes can take the current though.
Brian

At 1W total power mostly in the LEDs any rectifier diode like 1N4001
(about 2p each) would be well within its rating 1W @ 4v = 250mA.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Last month I brought 2,500 of those well the 1N4004A .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2017 18:18, F wrote:

Anyone any thoughts on where I could get a replacement for one of
these: https://www.flickr.com/gp/161457453@N02/iv5D72

I've Googled but not found anything.

Christmas lights: 240v - 4v 1VA with a spade and pin plug.

The logo on the label implies it is AC output. 1VA is very low power.

I saw the ~ and ignored it. Amateur hour!

Do the light flash or do anything clever? the AC input might be used
for timing purposes?

Each lamp (three sticks of 12) cycles through different colours.

OK well try the 3 x 1.5v battery route and it might work or if not, it
is not too hard to knock up a squarewave oscillator at 50hz running from
a DC supply which should bring back the twinkle to your lights.
Also worth opening up the old transformer and see if just the thermal
fuse has failed?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 15 December 2017 09:06:06 UTC, dennis@home wrote:
On 14/12/2017 18:18, F wrote:
Anyone any thoughts on where I could get a replacement for one of these:
https://www.flickr.com/gp/161457453@N02/iv5D72

I've Googled but not found anything.

Christmas lights: 240v - 4v 1VA with aÂ* spade and pin plug.

I like the way it says its a "safety isolating transformer" and then
tells you pin 1 is connected to the coil end.
This implies an autotransformer with a single coil and that is *not* an
isolating transformer.
When are you taking it apart to see what's actually inside?

complete nonsense
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/12/2017 10:53, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 15 December 2017 10:33:16 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:
On 15/12/2017 09:29, Brian Gaff wrote:

If its ac then why the polarised connections though?
Brian

It about the cheapest nastiest connector ever made.

They used to be used for speaker connections IIRC, and few have such speakers now so they probbaly got a good deal on them from a suplier or scrap merchant

Look up 2 pin DIN, if that's what is shown in the picture.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Max Demian wrote:
On 15/12/2017 10:53, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 15 December 2017 10:33:16 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:
On 15/12/2017 09:29, Brian Gaff wrote:

If its ac then why the polarised connections though?
Brian

It about the cheapest nastiest connector ever made.

They used to be used for speaker connections IIRC, and few have such
speakers now so they probbaly got a good deal on them from a suplier
or scrap merchant

Look up 2 pin DIN, if that's what is shown in the picture.

we've a number of Christmas light which use that connector,

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 15 December 2017 14:23:11 UTC, Max Demian wrote:
On 15/12/2017 10:53, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 15 December 2017 10:33:16 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:
On 15/12/2017 09:29, Brian Gaff wrote:

If its ac then why the polarised connections though?
Brian

It about the cheapest nastiest connector ever made.

They used to be used for speaker connections IIRC, and few have such speakers now so they probbaly got a good deal on them from a suplier or scrap merchant

Look up 2 pin DIN, if that's what is shown in the picture.

they have been used as speaker connectors for years and most poeple know what they are. They are speaker connectors.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sp...i69Q4N2v-vG8M:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIN_co...aker_connector

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 15 December 2017 15:39:28 UTC, charles wrote:
In article ,
Max Demian wrote:
On 15/12/2017 10:53, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 15 December 2017 10:33:16 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:
On 15/12/2017 09:29, Brian Gaff wrote:

If its ac then why the polarised connections though?
Brian

It about the cheapest nastiest connector ever made.

They used to be used for speaker connections IIRC, and few have such
speakers now so they probbaly got a good deal on them from a suplier
or scrap merchant

Look up 2 pin DIN, if that's what is shown in the picture.

we've a number of Christmas light which use that connector,

Well I wouldn't use them for that, I can't see the point.

I used a 3 pin DIN for my enlarger timer.

I used 5 pin DIN on a blue circle cement project using fuzzy logic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Friday, 15 December 2017 14:23:11 UTC, Max Demian wrote:
On 15/12/2017 10:53, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 15 December 2017 10:33:16 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:
On 15/12/2017 09:29, Brian Gaff wrote:

If its ac then why the polarised connections though?
Brian

It about the cheapest nastiest connector ever made.

They used to be used for speaker connections IIRC, and few have such
speakers now so they probbaly got a good deal on them from a suplier
or scrap merchant

Look up 2 pin DIN, if that's what is shown in the picture.

they have been used as speaker connectors for years and most poeple know
what they are. They are speaker connectors.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sp...i69Q4N2v-vG8M:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIN_co...aker_connector

European audio equipment almost always used circular 5-pin 180 degree DIN
connectors for mic and line level inputs, and line level outputs, and used
the 2-pin connector for each speaker. My Phillips cassette recorder used it,
as did my dad's B&O record deck and his cine projector (for playing sound
through external amp or for dubbing onto the soundtrack).

It was even fitted on Japanese equipment such as Sony radio-cassette
players.

It was only in the 1980s that I first saw phono plugs for line-level
connections between equipment (eg record deck, cassette deck, CD player,
graphic equalizer to amplifier). Phono plugs require more plugs (separate
for left and right) whereas DIN combines both in one plug. ON the other
hand, DIN plugs are more difficult to solder wires onto because the pins are
very close together.

I remember that a lot of equipment had three-pin speaker sockets which would
allow a two-pin plug to be plugged in either way round (ie spade connector
always in the centre hole but pin in either of the holes). I'm not sure what
the thinking was there, because as far as I could tell, the two pins were
connected together so you didn't get phase-reversal buy reversing the plug.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 15 December 2017 15:52:05 UTC, NY wrote:
[...]

Yes I know, that;s why most refer to that connector as a speaker connector.

Yes although compared to the mini DINs I've used on the early macs they are **** easy to connect in comparision.

I remember that a lot of equipment had three-pin speaker sockets which would
allow a two-pin plug to be plugged in either way round (ie spade connector
always in the centre hole but pin in either of the holes). I'm not sure what
the thinking was there, because as far as I could tell, the two pins were
connected together so you didn't get phase-reversal buy reversing the plug.

This was for speakers wasn't it not christmas tree lights.
I didn't use them on my speakers I used 4mm plugs.

Apparently human ears can't detect the differnt phase so it shouldn;t make a differnce.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Dec 2017 02:53:18 -0800, whisky-dave wrote:

On Friday, 15 December 2017 10:33:16 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:
On 15/12/2017 09:29, Brian Gaff wrote:

If its ac then why the polarised connections though?
Brian

It about the cheapest nastiest connector ever made.

They used to be used for speaker connections IIRC, and few have such
speakers now so they probbaly got a good deal on them from a suplier or
scrap merchant

I have seen a lot of wall warts with these connectors, and *none* have
been DIN speaker connectors (I have some of those, and I compared them).
They may look the same on a photo, but they are quite a bit bigger.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 15 December 2017 16:07:48 UTC, Bob Eager wrote:
On Fri, 15 Dec 2017 02:53:18 -0800, whisky-dave wrote:

On Friday, 15 December 2017 10:33:16 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:
On 15/12/2017 09:29, Brian Gaff wrote:

If its ac then why the polarised connections though?
Brian

It about the cheapest nastiest connector ever made.

They used to be used for speaker connections IIRC, and few have such
speakers now so they probbaly got a good deal on them from a suplier or
scrap merchant

I have seen a lot of wall warts with these connectors, and *none* have
been DIN speaker connectors

I've never seen any on 'wall warts' could you show an example of one ?

Most wall warts come with barrel or jack connectors with some you get a choice but I've yet to see the ones you say you have a wall wart for.

https://www.rapidonline.com/ideal-po...12v-2a-18-1666

(I have some of those, and I compared them).
They may look the same on a photo, but they are quite a bit bigger.

Which are bigger ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Dec 2017 08:15:31 -0800, whisky-dave wrote:

On Friday, 15 December 2017 16:07:48 UTC, Bob Eager wrote:
On Fri, 15 Dec 2017 02:53:18 -0800, whisky-dave wrote:

On Friday, 15 December 2017 10:33:16 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:
On 15/12/2017 09:29, Brian Gaff wrote:

If its ac then why the polarised connections though?
Brian

It about the cheapest nastiest connector ever made.

They used to be used for speaker connections IIRC, and few have such
speakers now so they probbaly got a good deal on them from a suplier
or scrap merchant

I have seen a lot of wall warts with these connectors, and *none* have
been DIN speaker connectors

I've never seen any on 'wall warts' could you show an example of one ?

Most wall warts come with barrel or jack connectors with some you get a
choice but I've yet to see the ones you say you have a wall wart for.

Um....that was what the OP was about. And it included a picture.

(I have some of those, and I compared them).
They may look the same on a photo, but they are quite a bit bigger.

Which are bigger ?

The wall wart ones are bigger than the DINs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 15 December 2017 16:29:02 UTC, Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

doesn't look that big.
And heres what I was talking about speaker connectors.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hi-Fi-Speak...ords=2+pin+din

(I have some of those, and I compared them).
They may look the same on a photo, but they are quite a bit bigger.

Which are bigger ?

The wall wart ones are bigger than the DINs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/12/2017 16:06, whisky-dave wrote:
Apparently human ears can't detect the differnt phase so it shouldn;t make a differnce.

They can certainly tell the difference if the left and right hand
channels are out of phase.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
NY wrote:
European audio equipment almost always used circular 5-pin 180 degree
DIN connectors for mic and line level inputs, and line level outputs,
and used the 2-pin connector for each speaker. My Phillips cassette
recorder used it, as did my dad's B&O record deck and his cine
projector (for playing sound through external amp or for dubbing onto
the soundtrack).

It was even fitted on Japanese equipment such as Sony radio-cassette
players.

It was only in the 1980s that I first saw phono plugs for line-level
connections between equipment (eg record deck, cassette deck, CD player,
graphic equalizer to amplifier). Phono plugs require more plugs
(separate for left and right) whereas DIN combines both in one plug. ON
the other hand, DIN plugs are more difficult to solder wires onto
because the pins are very close together.

Just for information, the Quad II valve equipment used phono connectors.
The later generation 3 Series went over to DIN connectors - a retrograde
step IMHO, as they are nothing like so reliable long term. They have a
habit of oxidising and becoming intermittent. But do have a smaller
footprint on the rear panel.

There are much higher quality connectors made to the same pin layout by
Touchel. Which have locking rings too. Used on some microphones etc. I'd
guess the extra cost ruled them out for domestic gear.

--
*We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
On Fri, 15 Dec 2017 02:53:18 -0800, whisky-dave wrote:

On Friday, 15 December 2017 10:33:16 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:
On 15/12/2017 09:29, Brian Gaff wrote:

If its ac then why the polarised connections though?
Brian

It about the cheapest nastiest connector ever made.

They used to be used for speaker connections IIRC, and few have such
speakers now so they probbaly got a good deal on them from a suplier or
scrap merchant

I have seen a lot of wall warts with these connectors, and *none* have
been DIN speaker connectors (I have some of those, and I compared them).
They may look the same on a photo, but they are quite a bit bigger.

I've got a couple of wall warts - AC - that drove 12v spots. They have
standard DIN speaker connectors.

--
*Dance like nobody's watching.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

If its ac then why the polarised connections though?

Easier to use the same connectors for all their ****.

On 14/12/2017 18:18, F wrote:

Anyone any thoughts on where I could get a replacement for one of these:
https://www.flickr.com/gp/161457453@N02/iv5D72

I've Googled but not found anything.

Christmas lights: 240v - 4v 1VA with a spade and pin plug.

The logo on the label implies it is AC output. 1VA is very low power.

Try it with 4.5v DC (3x AA cells) and a diode in series and see what
lights up. Then take a look in Maplin if you don't mind paying throught
the nose or eBay if you are not in a hurry. The PSUs that come with a
range of connector fittings are you best bet.

4.5DC might be OK if the LED chain isn't relying on AC power to work
properly. You might get away subverting an old mobile phone charger...

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2017 18:18, F wrote:
Anyone any thoughts on where I could get a replacement for one of these:
https://www.flickr.com/gp/161457453@N02/iv5D72

I've Googled but not found anything.

Christmas lights: 240v - 4v 1VA with aÂ* spade and pin plug.

I like the way it says its a "safety isolating transformer" and then
tells you pin 1 is connected to the coil end.
This implies an autotransformer with a single coil and that is *not* an
isolating transformer.
When are you taking it apart to see what's actually inside?

complete nonsense

So what do you think it means?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2017 18:18, F wrote:
Anyone any thoughts on where I could get a replacement for one of these:
https://www.flickr.com/gp/161457453@N02/iv5D72

I've Googled but not found anything.

Christmas lights: 240v - 4v 1VA with aÂ* spade and pin plug.

I like the way it says its a "safety isolating transformer" and then
tells you pin 1 is connected to the coil end.
This implies an autotransformer with a single coil and that is *not* an
isolating transformer.
When are you taking it apart to see what's actually inside?

complete nonsense

So what do you think it means?

It doesn't say what it means. I don't have mind reading powers. However the conclusion that it means the transformer is unisolated is simply nonsense.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
news
On 15/12/2017 09:29, Brian Gaff wrote:

If its ac then why the polarised connections though?
Brian

It about the cheapest nastiest connector ever made.

Nope, jacks are cheaper.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2017 18:18, F wrote:
Anyone any thoughts on where I could get a replacement for
one of these:
https://www.flickr.com/gp/161457453@N02/iv5D72

I've Googled but not found anything.

Christmas lights: 240v - 4v 1VA with a spade and pin plug.

I like the way it says its a "safety isolating transformer" and
then tells you pin 1 is connected to the coil end. This implies
an autotransformer with a single coil and that is *not* an
isolating transformer. When are you taking it apart to see
what's actually inside?

complete nonsense

So what do you think it means?

It doesn't say what it means. I don't have mind reading powers.
However the conclusion that it means the transformer is unisolated is
simply nonsense.

Just as well I didn't say it wasn't isolated then.

However your assumption that it is is based on what it says even though
it contradicts itself.

That makes your assumption nonsense not mine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2017 18:18, F wrote:

[...]

You make even less sense this time, if that's possible
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2017 18:18, F wrote:
Anyone any thoughts on where I could get a replacement for one of these:
https://www.flickr.com/gp/161457453@N02/iv5D72

I've Googled but not found anything.

Christmas lights: 240v - 4v 1VA with a* spade and pin plug.

Delighted to have provided so much pre-Christmas entertainment, but I'm
still trying to find a replacement.