Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default AC - DC adapter

On Friday, 15 December 2017 15:52:05 UTC, NY wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Friday, 15 December 2017 14:23:11 UTC, Max Demian wrote:
On 15/12/2017 10:53, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 15 December 2017 10:33:16 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:
On 15/12/2017 09:29, Brian Gaff wrote:

If its ac then why the polarised connections though?
Brian

It about the cheapest nastiest connector ever made.

They used to be used for speaker connections IIRC, and few have such
speakers now so they probbaly got a good deal on them from a suplier
or scrap merchant

Look up 2 pin DIN, if that's what is shown in the picture.

they have been used as speaker connectors for years and most poeple know
what they are. They are speaker connectors.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sp...i69Q4N2v-vG8M:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIN_co...aker_connector

European audio equipment almost always used circular 5-pin 180 degree DIN
connectors for mic and line level inputs, and line level outputs, and used
the 2-pin connector for each speaker.

Yes I know, that;s why most refer to that connector as a speaker connector.

My Phillips cassette recorder used it,
as did my dad's B&O record deck and his cine projector (for playing sound
through external amp or for dubbing onto the soundtrack).

It was even fitted on Japanese equipment such as Sony radio-cassette
players.

It was only in the 1980s that I first saw phono plugs for line-level
connections between equipment (eg record deck, cassette deck, CD player,
graphic equalizer to amplifier). Phono plugs require more plugs (separate
for left and right) whereas DIN combines both in one plug. ON the other
hand, DIN plugs are more difficult to solder wires onto because the pins are
very close together.

Yes although compared to the mini DINs I've used on the early macs they are **** easy to connect in comparision.

I remember that a lot of equipment had three-pin speaker sockets which would
allow a two-pin plug to be plugged in either way round (ie spade connector
always in the centre hole but pin in either of the holes). I'm not sure what
the thinking was there, because as far as I could tell, the two pins were
connected together so you didn't get phase-reversal buy reversing the plug.

This was for speakers wasn't it not christmas tree lights.
I didn't use them on my speakers I used 4mm plugs.

Apparently human ears can't detect the differnt phase so it shouldn;t make a differnce.