Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Need adapter USB to PATA laptop hard drive adapter.

I have a Vaio PCG-K23 laptop. The hard drive uses a parallel ATA interface.
The laptop will not boot. I need to transfer the files on the hard drive to
my desktop pc so I can back them up before I try to replace the hard drive.
Presently, I use this kind of adapter
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-PATA-IDE...-/191261117857
to transfer the files. It works but it's inconvenient to use as it must be
hooked up internally to the IDE ribbon cables and power plugs. I found this
package
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SATA-PATA-ID...-/161150149509
which I think will work. However I'm not sure if just plugging in the 44 pin
connector to the hard drive will supply power to the unit. I've tried using
the ask a question link on eBay but something is getting lost in the
translation. Can someone please advise me if the set of cords and adapters
listed in this package is enough to get the PATA drive powered up and
working?

Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

David Farber wrote:

[...]

Spend a couple dollars more and get the AC power supply. I use this
style, which works wit 2.5", 3.5" PATA or any SATA drive. One thing that
may cause you problems: Some PATA drives exceed the current available
from a USB port. I use an external drive housing with a power supply for
those. You can buy a USB cable with two connectors for the computer end,
to get more current.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150505362908

For the later PATA drives, the USB adapter cable will work fine.

You didn't give a model number for the hard drive. Do a search for
it's specs. USB2 ports will supply up to 1A.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"David Farber" wrote in message ...

[...]

I've used these kind of things in the past.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-IDE-AT...-/180674691132

You can get various types, PATA, SATA.
The one I have will interface with both ESATA and USB connections. And even
though they are supplied with a double USB power connection and a wall wart,
the one I have will actually power the drive from the USB data connector
alone.

Its a good way of converting any old laptop drive to an external backup
drive.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

David Farber wrote:

[...]

The hard drive is a Samsung HM160HC. The specs say 2.1 watts for typical
seek. 900mA for maximum spin-up current. Was you link above supposed to show
two USB connectors on one cable? I didn't see that.

My other question was is there any point in having the external AC power
supply that comes with the kit for a PATA drive? I can't see any way to
connect it to the drive once the drive is hooked up to the 44 pin adapter.

Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, July 29, 2014 4:36:36 PM UTC-7, David Farber wrote:
My other question was is there any point in having the external AC
power supply that comes with the kit for a PATA drive? I can't see
any way to connect it to the drive once the drive is hooked up to
the 44 pin adapter.

Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

The external power supply is to provide power for a 3.5" drive (it needs +12V which is not available from your USB port).

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, July 29, 2014 9:24:27 PM UTC-7, David Farber wrote:
Hi Matt,

Would this device have the same capabilities (specifically PATA
mode) as the one you mentioned?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331250999094

Thanks for your reply.

David Farber

Los Osos, CA

I bought this (maybe from a different eBay seller). It works well.

The cable in the upper right corner is the USB-to-IDE/SATA adapter. The SATA drive is connected, via the red SATA cable (top row middle), to the oval thingy at the top of the rectangle. One of the long edges is the IDE (PATA) connector for 2.5" drives, and the other edge is the one for 3.5" drives.. I think this setup is the same as the one in your original listing, plus the power supply and power cord.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

David Farber wrote:

[...]

No, the supply is for SATA drives. PATA are going away fast, so why
buy something that has limited use?

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, July 29, 2014 10:45:04 PM UTC-7, Michael Terrell wrote:
No, the supply is for SATA drives. PATA are going away fast,
so why buy something that has limited use?

On mine, the triangular thing in the lower left corner is the four pin power connector that works with the 3.5" PATA drives (plus most desktop CD/DVD drives, 5.25" and 8" floppy drives, and 5.25" hard drives). The cable in the upper left is the power adapter for SATA drives: plug the white Molex connector onto the black traingular connector from the power supply, and then plug the square black connector onto the power connector of your SATA drive.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

David Farber wrote:
Would this device have the same capabilities (specifically PATA mode)
as the one you mentioned?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331250999094

That device can easily do PATA for a 3.5" drive. In that case, the
provided AC power supply would plug directly into the drive.

That device can do PATA for a 2.5" drive, *as long as the drive draws
less power than is available from a single USB port* - 2.5 W.

If your drive draws more than 2.5 W, that device may not be able to
power it. I don't think it has a way to plug the AC adapter into the
device, to supply more power to the 44-pin 2.5" PATA connector than the
USB port can provide.

There's a chance that there is a place for the AC adapter on the back
side of the "pod" on the end of the USB cable, but there is no picture
in the ad, and I haven't seen this style of device with such a connector
on the "pod" before.

Most laptop hard drives probably draw less than 2.5 W, so this shouldn't
be an issue very often.

Matt Roberds

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

" wrote:

On Tuesday, July 29, 2014 10:45:04 PM UTC-7, Michael Terrell wrote:
No, the supply is for SATA drives. PATA are going away fast,
so why buy something that has limited use?

On mine, the triangular thing in the lower left corner is the four pin power connector that works with the 3.5" PATA drives (plus most desktop CD/DVD drives, 5.25" and 8" floppy drives, and 5.25" hard drives). The cable in the upper left is the power adapter for SATA drives: plug the white Molex connector onto the black traingular connector from the power supply, and then plug the square black connector onto the power connector of your SATA drive.

8" floppy drives were 50 pin. They were rarely used with PCs, and
pretty much obsolete in the '80s. Most of the 8" drives I worked with
had AC motors, and ran from a +24 volt power supply. There were few
half height 8" drives that were DC only, but they operated from +24 VDC
to be compatible with existing hardware.

I have two of these adapters, with the cables and AC power supplies
that I use to troubleshoot old computers and recover data.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
David Farber wrote:
[...]

I ordered the kit with the external power supply and the multiple adapters.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331250999094

I'll report back and let you know how it works.

Thanks to everyone for their replies.
--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, July 30, 2014 6:05:47 PM UTC-7, David Farber wrote:

I ordered the kit with the external power supply and the multiple
adapters.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331250999094

As I think about it, I am convinced that I got exactly this set from the same vendor (acturally, more than once). The first time, I mistakenly thought they had forgotten to include the SATA data cable (the middle top, red with rectangular black connectors on both ends). I overloloked the flat black cable withe the SATA data connectors. The cable was red (I think this is the "standard" color) in the most recent set.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
On Wednesday, July 30, 2014 6:05:47 PM UTC-7, David Farber wrote:

I ordered the kit with the external power supply and the multiple
adapters.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331250999094

As I think about it, I am convinced that I got exactly this set from
the same vendor (acturally, more than once). The first time, I
mistakenly thought they had forgotten to include the SATA data cable
(the middle top, red with rectangular black connectors on both ends).
I overloloked the flat black cable withe the SATA data connectors.
The cable was red (I think this is the "standard" color) in the most
recent set.

I received the kit yesterday. The USB port is the only source of power for
the PATA drive. If you have a SATA drive or the older type ATA drive with
the big power connector, then you can use the external power supply that
comes with the kit. Anyway, my PATA drive worked fine with the USB adapter.

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 8/6/2014 5:59 PM, David Farber wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I had a similar problem.
I fixed it with a jumper that lets me get the power from the usb
or the external power supply.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, August 6, 2014 5:59:11 PM UTC-7, David Farber wrote:
I received the kit yesterday.

Did the connector on the power supply have four round pins (PATA style) like the one I received, or was it a slotted socket (SATA style)?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
On Wednesday, August 6, 2014 5:59:11 PM UTC-7, David Farber wrote:
I received the kit yesterday.

Did the connector on the power supply have four round pins (PATA style)
like the one I received, or was it a slotted socket (SATA style)?

The connector from the power supply has a cord that has the four round pins
which will plug directly into the drive. It is unnecessary for the notebook
style drive. The kit also comes with an adapter so you can plug the power
into a SATA drive as well.

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA