Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electrical safety

Hate to think what dangerous set-ups people make with their outside fairy
lights in their desperation to convice us they are having a happy Xmas
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/11/17 09:16, DerbyBorn wrote:
Hate to think what dangerous set-ups people make with their outside fairy
lights in their desperation to convice us they are having a happy Xmas

Most of them are low voltage these days...

Anyway, you could live opposite this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90oZ52M4IC0
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/11/2017 09:16, DerbyBorn wrote:

Hate to think what dangerous set-ups people make with their outside fairy
lights in their desperation to convice us they are having a happy Xmas

The ones I know actually do quite a good job of waterproofing any
outdoor mains connections. Most of his stuff is hideous animated angels
and santa sleighs. He had one thing that I really did admire.

It was a christmas tree rendered as a equispaced spiral LED light pipe
cone hanging down from an almost invisible vertical Persex pole. Not
unlike this one but in pure green and without the star.

http://media.thepartypeople.com.au/m.../THP-23476.jpg

It swayed very pleasingly in the wind.

These days a lot of outdoor stuff is low voltage.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 Nov 2017 09:19:41 +0000, Tim Watts
wrote:

On 24/11/17 09:16, DerbyBorn wrote:
Hate to think what dangerous set-ups people make with their outside fairy
lights in their desperation to convice us they are having a happy Xmas

Anyway, you could live opposite this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90oZ52M4IC0

Wonder how epileptic get on around this time of year. A lot of news
broadcasts warn that footage may contain flashes from cameras
to warn those who suffer ,what they do around the streets at this time
of year wear sunglasses?

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd imagine a lot of people get away with things though. Much of the modern
stuff is low voltage, but of course its only through use of leds that the
cable sizes have been manageable.
There was one house near here who had to remove a laser from their roof
that shone straight up in the air. I guess we are quite close to Heathrow,
but really a cheapo old stage laser, really?

I do miss seeing the lights though, it used to be interesting to see how
creative people got.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.222...
Hate to think what dangerous set-ups people make with their outside fairy
lights in their desperation to convice us they are having a happy Xmas

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk wrote:

The blue LED craze - especially flashing - makes it very difficult to
spot emergency vehicles ...

I find it's the bright white strobes on ambulances that are a problem,
swamping the indicators, so you don't know if it's trying to turn ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote in news:f7qur2Fk1b2U1
@mid.individual.net:

Jethro_uk wrote:

The blue LED craze - especially flashing - makes it very difficult to
spot emergency vehicles ...

I find it's the bright white strobes on ambulances that are a problem,
swamping the indicators, so you don't know if it's trying to turn ...

Twinkling I can understand - but why woula anyone want manically flashing
lights?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 24 November 2017 17:43:19 UTC, DerbyBorn wrote:
Twinkling I can understand - but why woula anyone want manically flashing
lights?

In my case, to p off the neighbours.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

.222...

Jethro_uk wrote:

The blue LED craze - especially flashing - makes it very difficult to
spot emergency vehicles ...

I find it's the bright white strobes on ambulances that are a problem,
swamping the indicators, so you don't know if it's trying to turn ...

Twinkling I can understand - but why woula
anyone want manically flashing lights?

To try to kill off those that should have
been left to die by the medical system.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 2,
DerbyBorn wrote:
Hate to think what dangerous set-ups people make with their outside
fairy lights in their desperation to convice us they are having a happy
Xmas

Most have long enough leads to allow the PS to be indoors?

--
*Procrastinate now

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote in
news
On 24/11/2017 09:16, DerbyBorn wrote:

Hate to think what dangerous set-ups people make with their outside
fairy lights in their desperation to convice us they are having a
happy Xmas

The ones I know actually do quite a good job of waterproofing any
outdoor mains connections. Most of his stuff is hideous animated
angels and santa sleighs. He had one thing that I really did admire.

It was a christmas tree rendered as a equispaced spiral LED light pipe
cone hanging down from an almost invisible vertical Persex pole. Not
unlike this one but in pure green and without the star.

http://media.thepartypeople.com.au/m...cache/1/image/
1380x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/T/H/THP-23476.jpg

It swayed very pleasingly in the wind.

These days a lot of outdoor stuff is low voltage.

They still need to plug in the control box.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 24 November 2017 17:43:19 UTC, DerbyBorn wrote:

Twinkling I can understand - but why woula anyone want manically flashing
lights?

No-one does. But the Chinese are absolutely convinced we do.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 26 November 2017 10:18:01 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article 2,
DerbyBorn wrote:
Hate to think what dangerous set-ups people make with their outside
fairy lights in their desperation to convice us they are having a happy
Xmas

Most have long enough leads to allow the PS to be indoors?

--
*Procrastinate now

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

I put my transformer on an upturned bucket & then another upturned bucket on top.
Topped off with a brick.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 27 November 2017 08:21:55 UTC, Chris J Dixon wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:
On Friday, 24 November 2017 17:43:19 UTC, DerbyBorn wrote:

Twinkling I can understand - but why woula anyone want manically flashing
lights?

No-one does. But the Chinese are absolutely convinced we do.

Not only that, some of them cannot remember the option (ie
static) that has been selected, so that if they are on a timer
they will always come back on flashing madly.

Chris

I thought they were all that way. I made my christmas lights in the 80s.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/2017 16:52, harry wrote:

I put my transformer on an upturned bucket & then another upturned bucket on top.
Topped off with a brick.

That's a cunning wheeze.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 27 November 2017 17:13:48 UTC, Chris J Dixon wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:
On Monday, 27 November 2017 08:21:55 UTC, Chris J Dixon wrote:

Not only that, some of them cannot remember the option (ie
static) that has been selected, so that if they are on a timer
they will always come back on flashing madly.

I thought they were all that way. I made my christmas lights in the 80s.

The older ones had a rotary selector switch, so naturally
remembered where they had been set.

The next development tended to have a pushbutton which cycled
through the options, and I certainly took some back to B&Q
because they could not be made to stay on "steady".

Clearly this was not universally popular, and some brands now
proclaim that they have a memory, so once more can be set
reliably.

Personally I hate rapid flashing, especially for external
display. Indoors, I find that slow morphing gives a much better
effect.

Chris

slow morphine is certainly popular in hospitals.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 24/11/2017 09:16, DerbyBorn wrote:
Hate to think what dangerous set-ups people make with their outside fairy
lights in their desperation to convice us they are having a happy Xmas

The landlord of a pub in Doncaster broke his arm falling off the ladder
whilst fitting the outside Christmas lights.

He cannot have a wank for 6 weeks:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARW
writes
On 24/11/2017 09:16, DerbyBorn wrote:
Hate to think what dangerous set-ups people make with their outside fairy
lights in their desperation to convice us they are having a happy Xmas

The landlord of a pub in Doncaster broke his arm falling off the ladder
whilst fitting the outside Christmas lights.

He cannot have a wank for 6 weeks:-)

Does he use both hands?

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 27 November 2017 20:04:11 UTC, ARW wrote:
The landlord of a pub in Doncaster broke his arm falling off the ladder
whilst fitting the outside Christmas lights.

Lord Finchley tried to mend the Electric Light
Himself. It struck him dead: And serve him right!
It is the business of the wealthy man
To give employment to the artisan.

He cannot have a wank for 6 weeks:-)

That might improve standards in the kitchen ;-)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/17 20:04, ARW wrote:
On 24/11/2017 09:16, DerbyBorn wrote:
Hate to think what dangerous set-ups people make with their outside fairy
lights in their desperation to convice us they are having a happy Xmas

The landlord of a pub in Doncaster broke his arm falling off the ladder
whilst fitting the outside Christmas lights.

He cannot have a wank for 6 weeks:-)

Can he not try for a pity J Arthur from one of the lady customers?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 27 November 2017 22:06:16 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
He cannot have a wank for 6 weeks:-)

Can he not try for a pity J Arthur from one of the lady customers?

J Arthur Bowers? Golden showers?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 Nov 2017 14:46:11 -0800, spuorgelgoog wrote:

On Monday, 27 November 2017 22:06:16 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
He cannot have a wank for 6 weeks:-)

Can he not try for a pity J Arthur from one of the lady customers?

J Arthur Bowers? Golden showers?

Jeesus! Can you not recognise rhyming slang when you see it? :-)

It's short for "J Arthur Rank (Wank)".

Mind you, I had to ponder it for a whole second before it dawned on me
so I guess the antiquity of the movie enterprise might leave the
Millennials scratching their heads - you weren't born this millennium by
any chance?

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 28 November 2017 17:37:21 UTC, Johnny B Good wrote:
On Mon, 27 Nov 2017 14:46:11 -0800, spuorgelgoog wrote:

On Monday, 27 November 2017 22:06:16 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
He cannot have a wank for 6 weeks:-)
Can he not try for a pity J Arthur from one of the lady customers?

J Arthur Bowers? Golden showers?

Jeesus! Can you not recognise rhyming slang when you see it? :-)

It's short for "J Arthur Rank (Wank)".

When I was at school, it was go for a Panzer.

as in Panzer tank, wank, but then again I was in east London, sarf london have their own rhyming slang, bloody soft southerners ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/2017 14:19, whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 28 November 2017 17:37:21 UTC, Johnny B Good wrote:
On Mon, 27 Nov 2017 14:46:11 -0800, spuorgelgoog wrote:

On Monday, 27 November 2017 22:06:16 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
He cannot have a wank for 6 weeks:-)
Can he not try for a pity J Arthur from one of the lady customers?

J Arthur Bowers? Golden showers?

Jeesus! Can you not recognise rhyming slang when you see it? :-)

It's short for "J Arthur Rank (Wank)".

When I was at school, it was go for a Panzer.

as in Panzer tank, wank, but then again I was in east London, sarf london have their own rhyming slang, bloody soft southerners ;-)

Kenneth Williams spoke of "going for a Barclays".

--
Max Demian

Consumer Product Safety Comm. to discuss proposed SawStop technology safety rule George Max Woodworking 256 September 16th 06 06:03 PM
Shop electrical safety designs Brett A. Thomas Woodworking 18 December 10th 04 07:45 AM
Electrical Safety signs (small)& Pump delay info. Tom UK diy 15 October 6th 04 10:06 AM
Electrical Safety peter UK diy 8 May 19th 04 06:19 PM
Electrical safety under bathroom floor Bill Gardener UK diy 11 December 2nd 03 05:33 PM