peter

Default Electrical Safety

I have just bought an electrical keyboard synthersiser online, but the AC
Adapter takes a 120Volt input. I am just wondering whether the following
arrangement would be safe or not?

Mains Socket Supply- 240V-to-120V transformer-120V-to-12V Adapter for the
keyboard-Electrical Keyboard synthersiser

Also, is it safe to plug the 120V input AC Adapter directly into the 120V
socket of the "Shavers Transformer" which was marked "Shavers Only"? Why is
it that "Shavers point" are for shavers only?

Lurch

On Wed, 19 May 2004 00:43:14 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "peter"
strung together this:

I have just bought an electrical keyboard synthersiser online, but the AC
Adapter takes a 120Volt input. I am just wondering whether the following
arrangement would be safe or not?

Does it just take a 120v input or will it take a wider range of
voltages. Some PSUs accept 120-250v ish.

Mains Socket Supply- 240V-to-120V transformer-120V-to-12V Adapter for the
keyboard-Electrical Keyboard synthersiser

Yep, that'd work, all in a suitable box of course.

Also, is it safe to plug the 120V input AC Adapter directly into the 120V
socket of the "Shavers Transformer" which was marked "Shavers Only"? Why is
it that "Shavers point" are for shavers only?

Yes, it'll work in the socket. The "shavers only" refers to the fact
that it is a double insulated transformer that has no earth
connection, it is also only a low powered transformer, typically about
20VA.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Al Reynolds

"peter" wrote in message
I have just bought an electrical keyboard synthersiser online, but the AC
Adapter takes a 120Volt input. I am just wondering whether the following
arrangement would be safe or not?

Mains Socket Supply- 240V-to-120V transformer-120V-to-12V Adapter for

the
keyboard-Electrical Keyboard synthersiser

Also, is it safe to plug the 120V input AC Adapter directly into the 120V
socket of the "Shavers Transformer" which was marked "Shavers Only"? Why

is
it that "Shavers point" are for shavers only?

Just go and buy a cheap 240V to 12V transformer
of the appropriate rating and with an appropriate plug.

Al

troubleinstore

peter wrote:

I have just bought an electrical keyboard synthersiser online, but the AC
Adapter takes a 120Volt input. I am just wondering whether the following
arrangement would be safe or not?

Mains Socket Supply- 240V-to-120V transformer-120V-to-12V Adapter for the
keyboard-Electrical Keyboard synthersiser

Also, is it safe to plug the 120V input AC Adapter directly into the 120V
socket of the "Shavers Transformer" which was marked "Shavers Only"? Why is
it that "Shavers point" are for shavers only?

Why not buy a 240V to 12V adaptor for the keyboard...?

What is the Keyboard and 12 adaptor is it...?

I have a spare 240V - 12V 850mA adaptor for a Yamaha. It has a +
center pin. the plug on the end has a ring on the outside and a small
pin in the middle.

If it is of use to you, go to my website and send me a message via the
contact button with your name and address details. It won't cost you a
penny.

--
troubleinstore
www.tuppencechange.co.uk

BigWallop

"peter" wrote in message ...
I have just bought an electrical keyboard synthersiser online, but the AC
Adapter takes a 120Volt input. I am just wondering whether the following
arrangement would be safe or not?

Mains Socket Supply- 240V-to-120V transformer-120V-to-12V Adapter for the
keyboard-Electrical Keyboard synthersiser

Also, is it safe to plug the 120V input AC Adapter directly into the 120V
socket of the "Shavers Transformer" which was marked "Shavers Only"? Why is
it that "Shavers point" are for shavers only?

As others have said, why not just buy a 240 volts AC transformer that gives an output
of 12 Volts DC or AC whatever the keyboard takes ? The 120 V is for the US market and
the UK market uses 240 V. Your keyboard should take either as long as the output from
the transformer is supplied at 12 V with the appropriate ampage, or slightly higher.
The most important part of the 12 V supply output is the ampage rating from the
transformer. Without the correct ampage the keyboard won't work properly because it
draws a certain amount of load current from the supply (ampage) so check that any
transformer you buy can supply that ampage or slightly more.

BigWallop

"BigWallop" wrote in message

"peter" wrote in message ...
[...]

As an example, this one:
http://www.eurobatteries.com/images/...00-MWS8211.jpg
costs £12.99 and has a variable output voltage at 1 amp, and it comes with different
adaptor heads for different socket connections.

Dave Plowman

In article ,
peter wrote:
Also, is it safe to plug the 120V input AC Adapter directly into the
120V socket of the "Shavers Transformer" which was marked "Shavers
Only"? Why is it that "Shavers point" are for shavers only?

They should really change this given electric toothbrushes etc.

You'd also need to be certain the transformer in the shaver socket is up
to supplying the required current, but I'd guess it would.

--
*If horrific means to make horrible, does terrific mean to make terrible?

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Derek

On Wed, 19 May 2004 09:29:43 +0100, Dave Plowman wrote:

In article ,
peter wrote:
Also, is it safe to plug the 120V input AC Adapter directly into the
120V socket of the "Shavers Transformer" which was marked "Shavers
Only"? Why is it that "Shavers point" are for shavers only?

They should really change this given electric toothbrushes etc.

You'd also need to be certain the transformer in the shaver socket is up
to supplying the required current, but I'd guess it would.

Maybe I'm missing something here, nobody seemed to think that it would be
odd that he would be plugging an electrical synthesiser into a shaving
socket in the bathroom? If the cable was long enough he could sit on the
bog and play a tune - or sing in the shower with accompaniment! You would
have to limit your audiences and the size of your band! :-)

N. Thornton

Dave Plowman wrote in message ...
In article ,
peter wrote:
Also, is it safe to plug the 120V input AC Adapter directly into the
120V socket of the "Shavers Transformer" which was marked "Shavers
Only"? Why is it that "Shavers point" are for shavers only?

2 more points to consider: is the present PSU regulated or
unregulated? If its reg, you'll need the replacement to be reg as
well.

If you use the shaver socket option, is the socket rated for 20VA
continuous? I wouldnt be surprised if it were rated 20VA intermittent,
and fried when run 20VA continuous.

Regards, NT

Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
Requirement for safety checks for household electricity & gas? York Muppet UK diy 3 December 24th 03 11:39 AM
Electrical safety under bathroom floor Bill Gardener UK diy 11 December 2nd 03 05:33 PM
Unvented cylinder safety Christian McArdle UK diy 1 September 5th 03 09:57 PM
Safety spectacles, why so difficult? [email protected] UK diy 33 July 24th 03 10:55 PM