Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default coffee grinders

When I was a wean I was terrified by big cast iron coffee grinders in shop
windows with two big cast iron wheels and the smell was overpowering....they
seemed to be massive but probably were like the one in this
picture.......was the early 50's anybody else remember these? ....and did
you grind your own coffee beans or did the shop keeper do it for
you...anybody know if there are any still in use in shops? ...

https://p1.liveauctioneers.com/209/4...pjpg&auto=webp

Posted to uk.d-i-y

There used to be one in Putney. You could smell it a mile away.
I like the smell but the taste of coffee never really appealed to me. I've
been told many times I am peculiar. I agree but that is nothing to do with
coffee!
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
When I was a wean I was terrified by big cast iron coffee grinders in shop
windows with two big cast iron wheels and the smell was
overpowering....they seemed to be massive but probably were like the one
in this picture.......was the early 50's anybody else remember these?
....and did you grind your own coffee beans or did the shop keeper do it
for you...anybody know if there are any still in use in shops? ...

https://p1.liveauctioneers.com/209/4...pjpg&auto=webp

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
There used to be one in Putney. You could smell it a mile away.
I like the smell but the taste of coffee never really appealed to me. I've
been told many times I am peculiar. I agree but that is nothing to do
with coffee!
Brian

the coffee culture is one big con .......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 07:29:14 +0000, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

When I was a wean I was terrified by big cast iron coffee grinders in
shop windows with two big cast iron wheels and the smell was
overpowering....they seemed to be massive but probably were like the one
in this picture.......was the early 50's anybody else remember these?
....and did you grind your own coffee beans or did the shop keeper do it
for you...anybody know if there are any still in use in shops? ...

https://p1.liveauctioneers.com/209/4...99674_1_x.jpg?

version=1368212324&width=1600&format=pjpg&auto=web p

There used to be a shop in Ealing called "Importers" that roasted coffee
on the premises.

I think they had a few branches. There was one in Guildford, too.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 07:29:14 +0000, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

When I was a wean I was terrified by big cast iron coffee grinders in
shop windows with two big cast iron wheels and the smell was
overpowering....they seemed to be massive but probably were like the one
in this picture.......was the early 50's anybody else remember these?
....and did you grind your own coffee beans or did the shop keeper do it
for you...anybody know if there are any still in use in shops? ...

Not any more, H&S!

I remember those shops. We had two in Brighton and at least one in Hove.
It was a widely distributed chain called simply "Importers". When I moved
to Canterbury for university, there was one ther as well. I also saw a
few round London.

One was by a bus stop in Brighton that I used frequently. Bliss to wait
for the bus when they were roasting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/17 09:47, Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 07:29:14 +0000, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

When I was a wean I was terrified by big cast iron coffee grinders in
shop windows with two big cast iron wheels and the smell was
overpowering....they seemed to be massive but probably were like the one
in this picture.......was the early 50's anybody else remember these?
....and did you grind your own coffee beans or did the shop keeper do it
for you...anybody know if there are any still in use in shops? ...

Not any more, H&S!

I remember those shops. We had two in Brighton and at least one in Hove.
It was a widely distributed chain called simply "Importers". When I moved
to Canterbury for university, there was one ther as well. I also saw a
few round London.

Top of Guildford high street. You could smell it halfway down the high
street....

....before the brewery at the bottom took over!

Friary Meux. Now long gone...

One was by a bus stop in Brighton that I used frequently. Bliss to wait
for the bus when they were roasting.

--
Theres a mighty big difference between good, sound reasons and reasons
that sound good.

Burton Hillis (William Vaughn, American columnist)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

When I was a wean I was terrified by big cast iron coffee grinders in shop
windows with two big cast iron wheels and the smell was overpowering....they
seemed to be massive but probably were like the one in this
picture.......was the early 50's anybody else remember these? ....and did
you grind your own coffee beans or did the shop keeper do it for
you...anybody know if there are any still in use in shops? ...

https://p1.liveauctioneers.com/209/4...pjpg&auto=webp

Rave Coffee in Cirencester is an interesting place to visit.

https://ravecoffee.co.uk/

They import, grind, roast and blend coffees. If you call in they have a
tiny cafe with a glass wall so you can look down into the work area and see
it all going on.

https://goo.gl/Txi44e

The smell, or course, is amazing. You can buy their coffees there or they
post them free for orders over £25. I don't have any commercial connection
- I'm just a satisfied customer.

--
Bob
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, England

Cat - a partially domesticated animal who keeps you as a pet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm sure you are right. What stuff tastes like is often influenced by the
mind, so if you see blue coffee you don't like it even if its exactly the
same as the normal coloured stuff.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
There used to be one in Putney. You could smell it a mile away.
I like the smell but the taste of coffee never really appealed to me.
I've been told many times I am peculiar. I agree but that is nothing to
do with coffee!
Brian

the coffee culture is one big con .......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote:

When I was a wean I was terrified by big cast iron coffee grinders in
shop windows with two big cast iron wheels and the smell was
overpowering....they seemed to be massive but probably were like the
one in this picture.......was the early 50's anybody else remember
these? ....and did you grind your own coffee beans or did the shop
keeper do it for you...anybody know if there are any still in use in
shops? ...

https://p1.liveauctioneers.com/209/4...pjpg&auto=webp

There was a proper traditional delicatessen in the little town where I
grew up, owned by an old chap called Mr.Furneaux. He had one of those
grinders, as well as chests of loose tea, hams and sausages hanging from
rails, whole cheeses - the smell was amazing. My parents considered
buying the place when he retired, but it turned out the building was
actually falling down.
Similar story with Mr.Collins the cobbler - I guess they only needed
to make enough to get by, as they owned and lived in the buildings
since the forties or earlier, but there was no way the business would
support an incoming owner with the repairs needed.
Back to the present day and they might have been viable again, with
increased interest for all things "artisan".

grinders Vrstull Metalworking 6 December 29th 04 02:39 AM
Bench Grinders Michael Billings Woodworking 9 December 27th 04 03:30 PM
surface grinders Charles Morrill Metalworking 10 December 15th 04 07:11 AM
Grinders: Recommendations wanted & 2 questions Never Enough Money Woodworking 4 November 7th 04 12:45 PM
SALE: Refurbished Semiconductor Equipment Dicing Saws, Lappers, Cut off, Polishers, Grinders Erik Eich Metalworking 2 August 23rd 03 05:47 AM