Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default coffee grinders

On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 07:29:14 +0000, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

When I was a wean I was terrified by big cast iron coffee grinders in
shop windows with two big cast iron wheels and the smell was
overpowering....they seemed to be massive but probably were like the one
in this picture.......was the early 50's anybody else remember these?
....and did you grind your own coffee beans or did the shop keeper do it
for you...anybody know if there are any still in use in shops? ...

Not any more, H&S!

I remember those shops. We had two in Brighton and at least one in Hove.
It was a widely distributed chain called simply "Importers". When I moved
to Canterbury for university, there was one ther as well. I also saw a
few round London.

One was by a bus stop in Brighton that I used frequently. Bliss to wait
for the bus when they were roasting.