Never Enough Money

Default Grinders: Recommendations wanted & 2 questions

I'm going to buy a slow speed grinder. Any recomendations?

How's the new one from Garrett Wade that runs at 1120 RPM? The
"Ultra-slow 1120 Rpm Vertical Grinder"
http://www.garrettwade.com/jump.jsp?...emType=PRODUCT

Is 1120 RPM a big advantage over 1700-1800 or is it a "who cares?"

Sure would be nice to have a variable speed grinder -- are there any?

Mike in Mystic

I've heard good things about this one:
http://www.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/p...7EE689A4478982

For $95 it seems a great value. As for the difference between 1120 RPM and
1750 RPM - I doubt it matters all that much. I'm sure you know the
reasoning - the slower speeds are less likely to build up excessive heat and
detemper your tools. I've read several times that as long as you take your
time and are careful, that even high speed grinders work fine, and are
actually better in cases where you're reshaping tools due to the ability to
remove material more quickly.

Mike

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
om...
I'm going to buy a slow speed grinder. Any recomendations?

How's the new one from Garrett Wade that runs at 1120 RPM? The
"Ultra-slow 1120 Rpm Vertical Grinder"
http://www.garrettwade.com/jump.jsp?...emType=PRODUCT

Is 1120 RPM a big advantage over 1700-1800 or is it a "who cares?"

Sure would be nice to have a variable speed grinder -- are there any?

Fly-by-Night CC

In article ,
(Never Enough Money) wrote:

I'm going to buy a slow speed grinder. Any recomendations?

How's the new one from Garrett Wade that runs at 1120 RPM? The
"Ultra-slow 1120 Rpm Vertical Grinder"
http://www.garrettwade.com/jump.jsp?...emType=PRODUCT

Is 1120 RPM a big advantage over 1700-1800 or is it a "who cares?"

Sure would be nice to have a variable speed grinder -- are there any?

You might want to do a google archive search on the
rec.crafts.woodturning group since most turners use grinders on a daily
basis. On that note, the Woodcraft branded grinder has gotten very good
reviews.

____

as 100% Americanism." -- Huey P. Long