Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default bloody Ikea

On 15/11/2017 15:01, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 15 Nov 2017 14:14:47 +0000, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

joined Costco in about '95 never covered the £30 fee over the years I
was a member......great if you want to stuff your face american style
with buns but not much else ......waste of money supermarkets are
cheaper...same with makro .....

Actually, supermarkets are not cheaper - not for the household goods and
food we buy. I did a very careful analysis, and we easily cover the cost
of membership, fuel and more.

We buy large packs of loo rolls, tissues, kitchen rolls (but not blue
rool, Nisbets are cheaper). Plus catering packs of meat (mince, chicken,
bacon, etc.) which we split up and freeze. Then there is the cat food,
soup, Marmite, olive oil, etc.

I have to say that on our second visit we bought a load of storage
shelving...

Typical spend for us is £500-£600 a visit - perhaps five times a year.

It isn't just covering the cost of membership, the quality of the meat
is outstanding. We certainly do cover the cost of the membership (and
some) but then there is the convenience. We still have to do a regular
shopping run for fresh stuff but having stocked up on bulk items means
less to carry etc.

We've not used them for TVs etc but their prices look pretty good. Ditto
white goods.

I did buy a laser printer from them, the price was better than I could
find online etc.

Their batteries (AA, AAA etc) are good value and seem to have a good name.

are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/11/2017 15:04, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Bob Eager" wrote in message
[...]

...and their Kirkland batteries leak ........

Which batteries don't? If you are daft enough to neglect equipment, what
do you expect? Accept responsibility Jim.

are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:
In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:
As for Jim's problem, there is a company that makes doors to order for
those trying to do things on the cheap and use old units.

Why is it doing it 'on the cheap' if all you want to do is change the
look of the kitchen with new doors?

Because it is probably cheaper than replacing the whole kitchen. Say 10
doors at the £90/door someone mentioned. Where can you get a complete
kitchen for £900 ?

I'd hope it would be cheaper than buying a complete new kitchen. But I
can't see the point in replacing the lot if it is just the doors that need
replacing. Doing something 'on the cheap' suggests a bodge.

It also wasn't clear if Jim was replacing all his doors or just some
damaged ones- there was mention of hinge repair etc. If you only need a
few doors to replace damaged ones but match the others, using the custom
door makers (even at the £90 /door some have mentioned) may well be
attractive.

When I came to update my home made kitchen by fitting hew doors, the sizes
had changed from Imperial to Metric. ;-) The doors and drawer fronts I got
from one of the sheds - IIRC B&Q - are still good as new, though, after
quite a few years.

I 'scratch built' a kitchen back in about 1982. I'm not sure it was cost
effective but it was certainly built to last. Since then I've either
bought units or, in the current one, had someone do it. Although I did
'rearrange' the kitchen in the current house shortly after we moved it.
It had an expensive kitchen which was ok and 'did' until we replaced it.
It must have been 20+ years old when it was removed and someone took it
to reuse. I think it was a Roseby. It was just a bit 'dated'.

are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
"Bob Eager" wrote in message
[...]

Ieka ones are better but not going in there again .......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
news
[...]

their "restaurant" is disgusting but cheap with huge American portions

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
"Bob Eager" wrote in message
[...]

https://www.consumerreports.org/prod...9038/overview/

https://www.amazon.com/Kirkland-Sign...ews/B0015UVOJU

One star......great so they are...tee hee

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
"Bob Eager" wrote in message
[...]

I expect them not to leak the way they do ...be responsible and don't buy
them ......a large pack was the last thing I bought from Costo and they were
so bad I didn't re-join........

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
[...]

well I went for a couple of new tyres in a rwd car that wouldn't be driven
by a woman and they insisted that they put them on the rear.....so they had
to move all four wheels and I had to move them back again when I got home

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:
When I came to update my home made kitchen by fitting hew doors, the
sizes had changed from Imperial to Metric. ;-) The doors and drawer
fronts I got from one of the sheds - IIRC B&Q - are still good as new,
though, after quite a few years.

I 'scratch built' a kitchen back in about 1982. I'm not sure it was cost
effective but it was certainly built to last.

One reason I built my own is I really couldn't see just why you had to
have a cupboard side every place you needed a hinge for a door, or drawer
runner - just wastes available space.

--
*Errors have been made. Others will be blamed.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Nov 2017 15:53:04 +0000, Brian Reay wrote:

Their batteries (AA, AAA etc) are good value and seem to have a good
name.

I get mine from CPC! Duracell or Energiser.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Rob Morley, Iggy wrote:
I'm not sure I like it's adhesive properties from past experience, but it's
definitely worth a shot and very much better than any wood putty.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...a-1249549-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
news
On 15/11/2017 12:56, tim... wrote:

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
news
On 14/11/2017 16:47, tim... wrote:

"I hate Ikea" wrote in message
In 2009 I installed a complete Ikea Faktum System kitchen....I now
find I need new doors on most of the units.....went to Ikea tody and
found all their base and wall units are now 800mm high instead of the
old 700mm hight...*******S!......does anybody know if any place can
supplt new door fronts that will fit ?

Ouch a kitchen that only lasts 8 years

I think I'd be looking for another supplier

tim

Buy cheap/poor quality and you live to regret it. The kitchen we
replaced must have been 20 years old but it was still in good condition,
just 'dated'. Someone short on cash took it and reused it- I expect they
will get another decade plus out of it. It was a Roseby - I assume the
previous owners had fitted it. I swapped some of the units around when
we bought the house then we changed it about 8 years ago. The
replacement still looks new.

As for Jim's problem, there is a company that makes doors to order for
those trying to do things on the cheap and use old units.

ITYF it's not particularly "on the cheap"

I wasn't suggesting changing doors was cheap-

IKEA should be flogging doors separately so thats its
easy for those who want to update the appearance of their
kitchens as cheaply as possible to just replace the doors.

he should have bought a kitchen which would last.

He may have decided that with a 25
year warranty, those were likely to.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/11/2017 18:59, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 15 Nov 2017 15:53:04 +0000, Brian Reay wrote:

Their batteries (AA, AAA etc) are good value and seem to have a good
name.

I get mine from CPC! Duracell or Energiser.

+1

Their bulk packs of Philips batteries are also fine. Try to avoid the GP
ones though.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/11/2017 20:44, Iggy wrote:
replying to Rob Morley, Iggy wrote:
I'm not sure I like it's adhesive properties from past experience, but it's
definitely worth a shot and very much better than any wood putty.

The two part wood fillers to all intents and purposes *are* car body
filler...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 16 Nov 2017 08:36:05 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

On 15/11/2017 18:59, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 15 Nov 2017 15:53:04 +0000, Brian Reay wrote:

Their batteries (AA, AAA etc) are good value and seem to have a good
name.

I get mine from CPC! Duracell or Energiser.

+1

Their bulk packs of Philips batteries are also fine.

I'll remember that.

Try to avoid the GP ones though.

I do! Except for short term throwaways.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
On 15/11/2017 18:59, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 15 Nov 2017 15:53:04 +0000, Brian Reay wrote:

Their batteries (AA, AAA etc) are good value and seem to have a good
name.

I get mine from CPC! Duracell or Energiser.

+1

Their bulk packs of Philips batteries are also fine. Try to avoid the GP
ones though.

I've never had problems with those, but CPC seem to have dropped them in
favour of "Pro-Elec" which is one of their own brand names.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
On 15/11/2017 20:44, Iggy wrote:
replying to Rob Morley, Iggy wrote:
I'm not sure I like it's adhesive properties from past experience, but it's
definitely worth a shot and very much better than any wood putty.

The two part wood fillers to all intents and purposes *are* car body
filler...

At a very large premium. ;-)

--
*The more I learn about women, the more I love my car

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/2017 15:52, I hate Ikea wrote:
In 2009 I installed a complete Ikea Faktum System kitchen....I now find I
need new doors on most of the units.....went to Ikea tody and found all
their base and wall units are now 800mm high instead of the old 700mm
hight

Did you ask about replacements? They offered old style replacements to
us just over a year ago when a door became faulty. One faulty door but a
complete door/drawer front replacement across the kitchen in any
available style!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
o.uk...
On 14/11/2017 15:52, I hate Ikea wrote:
In 2009 I installed a complete Ikea Faktum System kitchen....I now find I
need new doors on most of the units.....went to Ikea tody and found all
their base and wall units are now 800mm high instead of the old 700mm
hight

Did you ask about replacements? They offered old style replacements to us
just over a year ago when a door became faulty. One faulty door but a
complete door/drawer front replacement across the kitchen in any available
style!

just said nothing available from june 2017 ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
On 15/11/2017 20:44, Iggy wrote:
replying to Rob Morley, Iggy wrote:
I'm not sure I like it's adhesive properties from past experience, but it's
definitely worth a shot and very much better than any wood putty.

The two part wood fillers to all intents and purposes *are* car body
filler...

At a very large premium. ;-)

Depends on what you get... TS own branded filler is less than half the
price of P38 from Halfords.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
On 15/11/2017 20:44, Iggy wrote:
replying to Rob Morley, Iggy wrote:
I'm not sure I like it's adhesive properties from past experience, but it's
definitely worth a shot and very much better than any wood putty.

The two part wood fillers to all intents and purposes *are* car body
filler...

At a very large premium. ;-)

Depends on what you get... TS own branded filler is less than half the
price of P38 from Halfords.

A bit difficult to compare as TS sell their wood filler by weight -
whereas most body fillers are sold by volume.

--
*Speak softly and carry a cellular phone *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 16 November 2017 09:09:54 UTC, Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 16 Nov 2017 08:36:05 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

On 15/11/2017 18:59, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 15 Nov 2017 15:53:04 +0000, Brian Reay wrote:

Their batteries (AA, AAA etc) are good value and seem to have a good
name.

I get mine from CPC! Duracell or Energiser.

+1

Their bulk packs of Philips batteries are also fine.

I'll remember that.

Try to avoid the GP ones though.

I do! Except for short term throwaways.

I buy GPs here for students use, cheap and work well in the labs, that's the batteies not the students.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

"Dave Plowman (News)" Wrote in message:
In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
On 15/11/2017 20:44, Iggy wrote:
replying to Rob Morley, Iggy wrote:
I'm not sure I like it's adhesive properties from past experience, but it's
definitely worth a shot and very much better than any wood putty.

The two part wood fillers to all intents and purposes *are* car body
filler...

At a very large premium. ;-)

Depends on what you get... TS own branded filler is less than half the
price of P38 from Halfords.

A bit difficult to compare as TS sell their wood filler by weight -
whereas most body fillers are sold by volume.

At that price differential only the stupid wouldn't investigate.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

The two part wood fillers to all intents and purposes *are* car body
filler...

At a very large premium. ;-)

Depends on what you get... TS own branded filler is less than half the
price of P38 from Halfords.

A bit difficult to compare as TS sell their wood filler by weight -
whereas most body fillers are sold by volume.

At that price differential only the stupid wouldn't investigate.
--
Jim K

Something tells me Jim K has not investigated it

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
On 15/11/2017 20:44, Iggy wrote:
replying to Rob Morley, Iggy wrote:
I'm not sure I like it's adhesive properties from past experience, but it's
definitely worth a shot and very much better than any wood putty.

The two part wood fillers to all intents and purposes *are* car body
filler...

At a very large premium. ;-)

Depends on what you get... TS own branded filler is less than half the
price of P38 from Halfords.

A bit difficult to compare as TS sell their wood filler by weight -
whereas most body fillers are sold by volume.

Try these:

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/pai...asy-sand-250ml

250ml vs 500g

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p16873?table=no

(unless the P38 is twice as dense as water, I guess you will get roughly
twice as much of the wood filler in the tin)

Even the Ronseal branded one is probably cheaper per ml:

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p57138?table=no

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, November 15, 2017 at 4:31:21 PM UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:
When I came to update my home made kitchen by fitting hew doors, the
sizes had changed from Imperial to Metric. ;-) The doors and drawer
fronts I got from one of the sheds - IIRC B&Q - are still good as new,
though, after quite a few years.

I 'scratch built' a kitchen back in about 1982. I'm not sure it was cost
effective but it was certainly built to last.

One reason I built my own is I really couldn't see just why you had to
have a cupboard side every place you needed a hinge for a door, or drawer
runner - just wastes available space.

--
*Errors have been made. Others will be blamed.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

So what would you mount the hinges and drawer runers on ?

Kitchens are made up from standard units, little boxes if you will. This eases manufacture and installation.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
fred wrote:
One reason I built my own is I really couldn't see just why you had to
have a cupboard side every place you needed a hinge for a door, or
drawer runner - just wastes available space.

So what would you mount the hinges and drawer runers on ?

A wood frame made for the purpose.

Kitchens are made up from standard units, little boxes if you will. This
eases manufacture and installation.

Which would be fine if room were made to standard units too.

--
*Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/11/2017 10:25, fred wrote:
On Wednesday, November 15, 2017 at 4:31:21 PM UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

One reason I built my own is I really couldn't see just why you had to
have a cupboard side every place you needed a hinge for a door, or drawer
runner - just wastes available space.

So what would you mount the hinges and drawer runers on ?

A face frame would be the usual way to deal with the doors. Drawer
runners can be either suspended from the cabinet top, or separate drawer
boxes can be fixed where required.

Kitchens are made up from standard units, little boxes if you will. This eases manufacture and installation.

Indeed - if you need to produce a standard product that will mostly fit
any location. If building a bespoke installation, then you can make it
fit exactly.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

The two part wood fillers to all intents and purposes *are* car body
filler...

At a very large premium. ;-)

Depends on what you get... TS own branded filler is less than half the
price of P38 from Halfords.

A bit difficult to compare as TS sell their wood filler by weight -
whereas most body fillers are sold by volume.

At that price differential only the stupid wouldn't investigate.
--
Jim K

Something tells me Jim K has not investigated it

Sad sick trolling ****...

thought so
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
One reason I built my own is I really couldn't see just why you had to
have a cupboard side every place you needed a hinge for a door, or
drawer runner - just wastes available space.

So what would you mount the hinges and drawer runers on ?

A wood frame made for the purpose.

Steel frame welded from 12mm rhs in my case.

Vastly better than a series of particle board boxes stacked side by side.

Kitchens are made up from standard units, little boxes
if you will. This eases manufacture and installation.

But wastes rather more spade, wastes double or more the
space between them.

Which would be fine if room were made to standard units too.

Need black leather cleaner for an Ikea chair (for fancy leather £200 chair), but Ikea don't deliver! spencer[_2_] UK diy 6 November 23rd 08 10:25 PM
Bloody Ebay Dan Caster Metalworking 6 July 24th 04 02:33 PM
bloody Russian/Chinese Gangsters Michael Mcneil UK diy 5 May 18th 04 12:52 AM
A pestilence upon my bloody boiler! (help please) JB UK diy 14 December 1st 03 09:47 PM
Bloody cap screws... Robin S. Metalworking 21 November 21st 03 11:41 PM