Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Disposing of old petrol (or diesel for that matter)

On Sun, 5 Nov 2017 16:16:01 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 05/11/17 15:14, Iggy wrote:
replying to The Natural Philosopher, Iggy wrote:
Oh look, a

Iggy

Dont be a ******, theres a good chap.

You ******* I've got an earworm now.

Iggy don't be a ****** to the tune of Paper Laces Don't be Hero.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 05 Nov 2017 15:14:02 GMT, Iggy wrote:

don't even know what a pan or log burner is and likely think cigarettes
ignite petrol.

IIRC a pan burner is full of sand, it is not an open pan with a pool
of petrol in it.

My direct experience is of using about a tablespoon of petrol as an
accelerant on a small camp fire. The lit match was a few inches away
when the vapours went WHUMPFF and the entire fire lifted a couple of
inches and fell back, the fire ball got my fringe and only half the
length of my eye brows.

I won#t be doing that again. Well I might but from some what further
away and as a demostration to the kids of the very different
behaviour of petrol, parafin and diesel.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 5 Nov 2017 12:31:10 +0000, ARW wrote:

Agreed, what do we pay Council Tax for?

Cutting down good trees if you live in Sheffield.

Link? No.1 Daughter is at Sheffield Uni and some what of a

political
activist. Apparently was on (front row of the fancy dress

marchers)
the recent demo about Orgreave.

Orgreave is in Rotherham.

snip

The trees are in Sheffield and there is a court injunction against
everyone in the world from stopping them cutting them down.

There was also a rally/demostration in Sheffield on the 31st Oct to
mark 12 months since the Government said no enquiry into the events
at Orgreave.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-40936522

Ta, the use of the words "persons unknown" in the injunction is
deeply worrying. That could keep the lawyers in gravy for years,
should some one appear to be breaking the injunction but is wearing a
badge with their name/address on they can't be "persons unknown"...

And reading between the lines it looks like the Council agreed a
contract somewhere with excessive penalty clauses if the "Streets
Ahead" work overruns.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 05 Nov 2017 17:05:39 +0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sun, 05 Nov 2017 15:14:02 GMT, Iggy wrote:

don't even know what a pan or log burner is and likely think cigarettes
ignite petrol.

IIRC a pan burner is full of sand, it is not an open pan with a pool of
petrol in it.

My direct experience is of using about a tablespoon of petrol as an
accelerant on a small camp fire. The lit match was a few inches away
when the vapours went WHUMPFF and the entire fire lifted a couple of
inches and fell back, the fire ball got my fringe and only half the
length of my eye brows.

Just Google for Uncle Rob videos. Find out how to *really* do it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, November 5, 2017 at 12:44:05 AM UTC, Iggy wrote:
replying to David, Iggy wrote:
I'd vote for burning it. Pour it into a very wide pan like a pizza pan or make
one out of aluminum foil and light it...a wide open pan means you aren't
restricting the flames or fumes, so no explosion or hazard.

Have you actually tried this? My experience is that if you do something like that you create a cloud of evaporated petrol in the air as you pour and when you strike the match there is an enormous boomph! Maybe it depends on how hot and still the air is as you pour. It is not a constrained explosion but it is, nevertheless, rather like what those MOAB bombs do isn't it?

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to rmlaws54, Iggy wrote:
Yep, at least a half dozen times, from a few mm's to a tennis ball deep. I've
put the pan on the ground, a patio, logs, bricks and cinder blocks. I've done
it by throwing a match, a lit cloth, a lit napkin, a lit ball of newspaper,
and even a Bic lighter held below the pan's edge. No big deal at all and just
a momentary WOOF as the pool caught. This place is just full of babies and
fools. I've even smoked while filling my car and mower cans, just to amaze the
sea of idiots known as society.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...r-1247289-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/17 22:16, Roger Hayter wrote:
Rob Morley wrote:

On Sun, 5 Nov 2017 11:28:30 -0800 (PST)
wrote:

On Sunday, November 5, 2017 at 12:44:05 AM UTC, Iggy wrote:
replying to David, Iggy wrote:
I'd vote for burning it. Pour it into a very wide pan like a pizza
pan or make one out of aluminum foil and light it...a wide open pan
means you aren't restricting the flames or fumes, so no explosion
or hazard.

Have you actually tried this? My experience is that if you do
something like that you create a cloud of evaporated petrol in the
air as you pour and when you strike the match there is an enormous
boomph!

Petrol vapour is a bit heavier than air, so it will run downhill and
collect in hollows. If you just pour a litre of old petrol into a
saucepan and light it seconds later then not much vapour will get out
and it won't travel far. If it's a warm day the vapour will form
faster, if it's a still day the vapour will collect more. Pour petrol
onto an unlit bonfire and you provide it with a massive wick so there's
a lot more vapour and nothing to constrain it.
I'd still use a rag on a broomstick to light the saucepan, just in
case, although "stale" petrol will have lost some of the lighter
fractions through evaporation so will be less volatile anyway.

I'd endorse the broomstick recommendation. Arms' length is Not Enough.
From experience.

neither is a broomstick. I was 10 feet away crouching down striking a
match....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 7 November 2017 05:32:46 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 07/11/17 03:44, Iggy wrote:
replying to rmlaws54, Iggy wrote:

Yep, at least a half dozen times, from a few mm's to a tennis ball deep.
I've
put the pan on the ground, a patio, logs, bricks and cinder blocks. I've
done
it by throwing a match, a lit cloth, a lit napkin, a lit ball of newspaper,
and even a Bic lighter held below the pan's edge. No big deal at all and
just
a momentary WOOF as the pool caught. This place is just full of babies and
fools. I've even smoked while filling my car and mower cans, just to
amaze the
sea of idiots known as society.

Liar.

*plonk*

I wonder if there's any chance if with a suitable wind he might have got away with it. I guess youtube could answer that. The answer might not be pleasant though.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Tim Streater, Iggy wrote:
I'll save both of us the trouble, know nothing crybaby. Lighting a bowl of
gasoline on fire https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S72519yOTGg

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...r-1247289-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to The Natural Philosopher, Iggy wrote:
Not that truth and proof matters to a fraud like you, but enjoy. Movie Myth:
Cigarettes and Gasoline! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMrj9VFl2cY and if
you ever grow balls or a spine LiveLeak Cigarette igniting Gasoline Mythbust
Challenge... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RbjLMFBOpY

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...r-1247289-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Rob Morley, Iggy wrote:
You might enjoy this Lighting a bowl of gasoline on fire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S72519yOTGg

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...r-1247289-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:

You can stub a cigarette our in a dish of petrol without igniting
it. All those scenes in films with petrol being ignored are
faked.

Feck. ...petrol being ignited...

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/11/17 12:46, Tim+ wrote:
The Natural Philosopher Wrote in message:
On 07/11/17 03:44, Iggy wrote:
replying to rmlaws54, Iggy wrote:
Yep, at least a half dozen times, from a few mm's to a tennis ball deep.
I've
put the pan on the ground, a patio, logs, bricks and cinder blocks. I've
done
it by throwing a match, a lit cloth, a lit napkin, a lit ball of newspaper,
and even a Bic lighter held below the pan's edge. No big deal at all and
just
a momentary WOOF as the pool caught. This place is just full of babies and
fools. I've even smoked while filling my car and mower cans, just to
amaze the
sea of idiots known as society.

Liar.

*plonk*

Mostly liar I suspect, but it is true that a smoldering cigarette
won't ignite petrol.

You can stub a cigarette our in a dish of petrol without igniting
it. All those scenes in films with petrol being ignored are
faked.

Indeed. a naqked flame will ignite any petrol vapour but a smoldering
fag probably wont.

Probably.

OTOH I have lit paper froma smoldering fag, and paper when lit will
ignite petrol

Tim

--
Of what good are dead warriors? Warriors are those who desire battle
more than peace. Those who seek battle despite peace. Those who thump
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/11/2017 17:27, Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

The contract is a closely guarded secret.

And where is our ex Sheffield councillor that used to post here when you
want him?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/11/17 15:14, Iggy wrote:
replying to The Natural Philosopher, Iggy wrote:
Oh look, another wazzock liar (got what it deserved) like tabbypurr, Dave
Liquorice and Chris B...that lit a match and then put it in his/her
teeth to
burn a container of petrol and petrol poured on the ground. Prat
trolls, don't
even know what a pan or log burner is and likely think cigarettes ignite
petrol.

Iggy

Dont be a ******, theres a good chap.

:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/11/17 18:42, pamela wrote:
On 13:42 7 Nov 2017, Tim+ wrote:

Tim+ wrote:

You can stub a cigarette our in a dish of petrol without
igniting it. All those scenes in films with petrol being
ignored are faked.

Feck. ...petrol being ignited..

Tim

Are you sure? This post suggests the temp of cigarette is
easily sufficient to trigger autoignition in petrol....

http://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae1.cfm

Some of us have actually done it, pamela.

As trhe article says, if there is a lot of vapour, you wont even get to
throw the cigarette away.

If there isn't, you can toss it into a dish of cold petrol and it will
go out

windows of my apartment. (I live on the twenty-first floor.) "

Alan Sokal
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Tim Streater, Iggy wrote:
Explain what? That "magically" physics, math, astronomy and engineering by
computer are wrong? LAUGHABLE! ALL OF THOSE have been beaten to a pulp by
reality (including mine) for thousands of years! I'll trump stupid physics
(the only kind there is) with 1 final PROOF, then you all can go sit on your
thumbs again.

...the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms research laboratory in
Beltsville, Maryland...In more than 2,000 attempts the petrol did not ignite.
See - Petrol lit with a cigarette? Only in the movies
https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2007/feb/27/smoking.film = you're stuffed.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...r-1247289-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/11/2017 22:44, Iggy wrote:
replying to Tim Streater, Iggy wrote:
Explain what? That "magically" physics, math, astronomy and engineering by
computer are wrong? LAUGHABLE! ALL OF THOSE have been beaten to a pulp by
reality (including mine) for thousands of years! I'll trump stupid physics
(the only kind there is) with 1 final PROOF, then you all can go sit on
your
thumbs again.

..the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms research laboratory in
Beltsville, Maryland...In more than 2,000 attempts the petrol did not
ignite.
See - Petrol lit with a cigarette? Only in the movies
https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2007/feb/27/smoking.film = you're stuffed.

I once had the fuel tank fall off my car and it was dragged along by the
fuel line so was leaking.
When i got back from the phone box to call the AA someone had chucked
three fag ends in the pool of petrol, nothing happened.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 07 Nov 2017 12:44:03 GMT
Iggy m wrote:

replying to Tim Streater, Iggy wrote:
I'll save both of us the trouble, know nothing crybaby. Lighting a
bowl of gasoline on fire https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S72519yOTGg

This is quite amusing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNjOaAIz_ZY

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 05 Nov 2017 15:09:41 +0000, David wrote:

On Sat, 04 Nov 2017 16:42:52 +0000, David wrote:

As part of the ongoing clear up I have a small amount of petrol in a
green can. It is old (probably from when we had a petrol lawnmower).

I've just looked up the details of how to dispose of it and it seems to
be classes as a "hazardous waste" which is not handled by the local
recycling centre.

"Hazardous waste collection

A special hazardous waste collection can be arranged for items
including paints, oils, weed/pest killers and other hazardous household
waste. There is a minimum charge of £45.60 for this service.

Collection, treatment and disposal costs of hazardous waste are
expensive for the council (approx. £80 per collection). For this
reason,
residents are urged to follow the advice as set out in these pages and
to use this service only when absolutely necessary."

O.K. I have always thought that it is crazy to charge a high price for
disposal of asbestos because that just encourages people to dump it.

To effectively charge £45.60 to dispose of a litre of old petrol or a
spray bottle of weed killer will just mean that the waste product is
dumped. Nobody is going to detect a bit of Roundup (for example)
flushed down the sewers. Petrol might be a bit of a give away by the
smell.

My current thought is to (very carefully) mix the petrol with sawdust
and light it from a safe distance in the garden log burner thingie
(mmmm....flames!!). Or just mix it with a bit of cat litter then let it
evaporate into the atmosphere then chuck the dry remains. Much as you
are advised to do with paint.

My general complaint is that making it almost impossible to dispose of
fairly common household or garden waste does little if anything to
protect the environment.

Quite the contrary.

Darned if I haven't just found another one.

This time in a red plastic 5 litre can so presumably dating back to the
time of leaded petrol (I am assuming that is when they started flogging
green cans for unleaded).

A lot of name calling and rattles out of prams on some parts of this
discussion.

One thing nobody has so far mentioned; external temperature.

I imagine that the results of combustion experiments could be vastly
different in mid-summer and mid-winter.

A lot might also depend on the strength of any breeze/wind and the
direction.

A qualifier of "upwind on a cold day with a medium breeze" could radically
change the chance of an adverse result.

Of course a real DIY solution would be to create an igniter from a spark
gap and about 20 foot of cable with a 12V car battery.

Or a spark gap and a 240V extension lead if you are feeling more
adventurous. :-)

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Nov 2017 09:44:38 GMT, David wrote:

Of course a real DIY solution would be to create an igniter from a spark
gap and about 20 foot of cable with a 12V car battery.

We used a spare magneto from Dads Fordson tractor , very effective.
The spark gap was a spare C5 spark plug intended for the same tractor.

After the test firings of a drop of petrol worked successfully we
drilled a hole near the bottom of an old milk churn and found a nut
in one of Dads tins that fitted the spark plug and with a washer or
two fixed it place. A happy afternoon ensued playing flying saucers
by putting a spoonful of petrol or two in the churn whacking down the
lid rolling the churn around and then from behind the 6" block wall
of an unfinished cow shed giving the magneto a crank.
The lid flew a fair distance accompanied by a satisfying whumpphh
sound and a fireball from the churn itself that did nothing to endear
ourselves to the postman when we fired it from the other side of a
hedge where he parked up.

Dad was furious but only because we used a lot petrol from his can
intended for the Mower and Chainsaw.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, November 7, 2017 at 6:01:04 PM UTC, ARW wrote:
[...]

and what happened the man with brillo pad hair ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Reminds me of this episode from The secret lives of machines by Tim
Hunkin.

https://youtu.be/iS_2JD5whRY

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 13:47:28 -0000 (UTC), Tim+

On 10 Nov 2017 09:44:38 GMT, David wrote:

Of course a real DIY solution would be to create an igniter from a spark
gap and about 20 foot of cable with a 12V car battery.

We used a spare magneto from Dads Fordson tractor , very effective.
The spark gap was a spare C5 spark plug intended for the same tractor.

Reminds me of this episode from The secret lives of machines by Tim
Hunkin.

https://youtu.be/iS_2JD5whRY

Interesting , about 20 years later than us looking up the production
date of that series. We did build a mortar or two out various bits
of drain pipe but the propellant we used was hair spray, had to steal
stuff from both parents to avoid favouritism.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Reminds me of this episode from “The secret lives of machines” by Tim
Hunkin.

https://youtu.be/iS_2JD5whRY

Interesting , about 20 years later than us looking up the production
date of that series. We did build a mortar or two out various bits
of drain pipe but the propellant we used was hair spray, had to steal
stuff from both parents to avoid favouritism.

G.Harman

Your dad used hair spray? Probably quite unusual 20 years ago. ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls