Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim+[_5_] Tim+[_5_] is offline

Default Disposing of old petrol (or diesel for that matter)

wrote:
On 10 Nov 2017 09:44:38 GMT, David wrote:

Of course a real DIY solution would be to create an igniter from a spark
gap and about 20 foot of cable with a 12V car battery.

We used a spare magneto from Dads Fordson tractor , very effective.
The spark gap was a spare C5 spark plug intended for the same tractor.

After the test firings of a drop of petrol worked successfully we
drilled a hole near the bottom of an old milk churn and found a nut
in one of Dads tins that fitted the spark plug and with a washer or
two fixed it place. A happy afternoon ensued playing flying saucers
by putting a spoonful of petrol or two in the churn whacking down the
lid rolling the churn around and then from behind the 6" block wall
of an unfinished cow shed giving the magneto a crank.
The lid flew a fair distance accompanied by a satisfying whumpphh
sound and a fireball from the churn itself that did nothing to endear
ourselves to the postman when we fired it from the other side of a
hedge where he parked up.

Dad was furious but only because we used a lot petrol from his can
intended for the Mower and Chainsaw.

G.Harman

Reminds me of this episode from €śThe secret lives of machines€ť by Tim
Hunkin.

https://youtu.be/iS_2JD5whRY

Tim

--