Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Aldi grinders - for wood chisels?

Just received my weekly AldiMail, and spotted a couple of bench grinders
coming in.
I do already have a small bench grinder, but could really do with something
that would grind wood chisel and plane blades. I notice that one of these
Aldi items (the "Wet and Dry Bench Grinder") is depicted with a chisel next
to it, suggesting it might fit the bill?
https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-wet-...95057174724501
(My current machine has two grinding wheels, which both look like the
right-hand one on the Aldi machine - it's the left-hand wheel which is
presumably of interest.

There's a second machine (a "Bench Grinder and Sander") which has a belt
sander... would that be of any use for my purpose?
https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-benc...95057157822300

Thanks
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 9 October 2017 19:53:24 UTC+1, Lobster wrote:
Just received my weekly AldiMail, and spotted a couple of bench grinders
coming in.
I do already have a small bench grinder, but could really do with something
that would grind wood chisel and plane blades. I notice that one of these
Aldi items (the "Wet and Dry Bench Grinder") is depicted with a chisel next
to it, suggesting it might fit the bill?
https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-wet-...95057174724501
(My current machine has two grinding wheels, which both look like the
right-hand one on the Aldi machine - it's the left-hand wheel which is
presumably of interest.

There's a second machine (a "Bench Grinder and Sander") which has a belt
sander... would that be of any use for my purpose?
https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-benc...95057157822300

Thanks
David

Any of those and some other types of grinder or sander can sharpen chisels. I do mine on an angle grinder - with suitable care!

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2017 19:53, Lobster wrote:
Just received my weekly AldiMail, and spotted a couple of bench grinders
coming in.
I do already have a small bench grinder, but could really do with something
that would grind wood chisel and plane blades. I notice that one of these
Aldi items (the "Wet and Dry Bench Grinder") is depicted with a chisel next
to it, suggesting it might fit the bill?
https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-wet-...95057174724501
(My current machine has two grinding wheels, which both look like the
right-hand one on the Aldi machine - it's the left-hand wheel which is
presumably of interest.

There's a second machine (a "Bench Grinder and Sander") which has a belt
sander... would that be of any use for my purpose?
https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-benc...95057157822300

Thanks
David

The one with the wet wheel is the way to go for chisels etc.

I have one of the Adli ones, good for the money.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2017 20:17, Brian Reay wrote:
[...]

+1

The thing to watch out for with "high speed" grinders and also belt
sanders is heating up anything carbon steel (like a chisel) sufficiently
for it to "lose its temper". "Softened" tools can be re-hardened and
tempered, google and (no doubt YouTube) will have plenty of details.

The low speed wet wheel is your best bet, or just an oil or water stone,
or a diamond lap, with a honing jig

https://www.screwfix.com/p/forge-ste...FSelUQodwkIAYA

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ch...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2017 21:17, newshound wrote:

The low speed wet wheel is your best bet, or just an oil or water stone,
or a diamond lap, with a honing jig

Scary Sharp technique - Google or Youtube

I found one source for the thick glass required was a toughened glass
shelf from one of the discount sheds.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 9 October 2017 21:17:57 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
On 09/10/2017 20:17, Brian Reay wrote:
On 09/10/2017 19:53, Lobster wrote:
Just received my weekly AldiMail, and spotted a couple of bench grinders
coming in.
I do already have a small bench grinder, but could really do with
something
that would grind wood chisel and plane blades.Â* I notice that one of
[...]

indeed. Keep it light & brief and even an angle grinder can do the job.

"Softened" tools can be re-hardened and
tempered, google and (no doubt YouTube) will have plenty of details.

can, but often impractical.

The low speed wet wheel is your best bet, or just an oil or water stone,
or a diamond lap, with a honing jig

or wet & dry sandpaper

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound grunted in
news
On 09/10/2017 20:17, Brian Reay wrote:
On 09/10/2017 19:53, Lobster wrote:
I do already have a small bench grinder, but could really do with
something
that would grind wood chisel and plane blades.* I notice that one of
these
Aldi items (the "Wet and Dry Bench Grinder") is depicted with a
chisel next
to it, suggesting it might fit the bill?
https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-wet-...er/p/095057174
724501

The one with the wet wheel is the way to go for chisels etc.

The thing to watch out for with "high speed" grinders and also belt
sanders is heating up anything carbon steel (like a chisel)
sufficiently for it to "lose its temper". "Softened" tools can be
re-hardened and tempered, google and (no doubt YouTube) will have
plenty of details.

The low speed wet wheel is your best bet, or just an oil or water
stone, or a diamond lap, with a honing jig

https://www.screwfix.com/p/forge-ste...?kpid=1675C&ds
_rl=1245250&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvOzOBRDGARIsAICjxoflivUC VKiqZ40keGiyLEltmRjOK
WkILIhesgdJLUmnVV_F3bhjzEsaAl9VEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw. ds&dclid=CLKT2c2t5NYC
FSelUQodwkIAYA

Thanks a lot for the replies - really helpful.

I do currently have an oilstone and honing guide, which I'll still be
using for honing.

The loss of temper due to overheating hadn't occurred to me, I must
admit, so the 'wet' aspect of the Aldi machine would be good. As far as
I can see there's no way of getting a reasonably precise angle with that,
I guess you just have to hold the blade against the wheel?

I was also just looking at this Clarke item:
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clar...se-sharpening-
tool/
That does have a guide, but no water cooling.
It's also dearer, 50 GBP delivered vs 30 for the Aldi; but still do-able.

Hmm...?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Lobster wrote:
Just received my weekly AldiMail, and spotted a couple of bench grinders
coming in.
I do already have a small bench grinder, but could really do with something
that would grind wood chisel and plane blades. I notice that one of these
Aldi items (the "Wet and Dry Bench Grinder") is depicted with a chisel next
to it, suggesting it might fit the bill?
https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-wet-...95057174724501
(My current machine has two grinding wheels, which both look like the
right-hand one on the Aldi machine - it's the left-hand wheel which is
presumably of interest.

There's a second machine (a "Bench Grinder and Sander") which has a belt
sander... would that be of any use for my purpose?
https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-benc...95057157822300

I find a combination grinder and belt sander the most useful in my small
workshop.

For sharpening planes etc, a wet wheel would definitely be an asset. But
one large enough to do a plane blade easily might be a problem.

--
*We waste time, so you don't have to *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2017 19:53, Lobster wrote:

Just received my weekly AldiMail, and spotted a couple of bench grinders
coming in.
I do already have a small bench grinder, but could really do with something
that would grind wood chisel and plane blades. I notice that one of these
Aldi items (the "Wet and Dry Bench Grinder") is depicted with a chisel next
to it, suggesting it might fit the bill?
https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-wet-...95057174724501
(My current machine has two grinding wheels, which both look like the
right-hand one on the Aldi machine - it's the left-hand wheel which is
presumably of interest.

Yup, the slower speed and the water bath means its much easier to
control both the rate of grinding, and also prevent unwanted heat build
up in the tool.

Note that the stone on that is 120 grit which is quite coarse - it will
establish a primary bevel quickly, but won't give a particularly refined
edge. You could solve this by either doing a quick manual sharpen on a
fine stone after, or by getting a "stone grader", that you can apply to
the wet stone on the grinder for a few seconds to give it a (temporary)
fine grit for the final stages of grinding. e.g.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/triton-stone-grader/5801R

The second limitation of the machine pictured is that it does not have
any mechanism for clamping and guiding the tool on the stone (in fact it
does not really have a tool rest at all!), so it would all come down to
your skill in getting a consistent and accurate bevel[1]. Most of the
posher wet stone systems seem to have copied the Tormek guide rail
system, which means they can use all the fancy jigs for holding
different types of tool. (this probably does not matter as much if you
are only doing square ended chisel and plane blades, but tou might have
a harder time doing a gouge or skew chisel.

[1] You could probably built a flat top platform to sit inline with the
wheel, to allow you to use a traditional honing guide:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster...g-guide-340147

There's a second machine (a "Bench Grinder and Sander") which has a belt
sander... would that be of any use for my purpose?
https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-benc...95057157822300

Not as much use for your application.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/2017 10:52, Lobster wrote:

Thanks a lot for the replies - really helpful.

I do currently have an oilstone and honing guide, which I'll still be
using for honing.

The loss of temper due to overheating hadn't occurred to me, I must
admit, so the 'wet' aspect of the Aldi machine would be good. As far as
I can see there's no way of getting a reasonably precise angle with that,
I guess you just have to hold the blade against the wheel?

I was also just looking at this Clarke item:
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clar...se-sharpening-
tool/
That does have a guide, but no water cooling.
It's also dearer, 50 GBP delivered vs 30 for the Aldi; but still do-able.

Not as convinced by the machines like that...

If going the wet stone route, then its worth considering something that
has the Tormek style tool holding rails, but none of them are
particularly cheap.

These are cheaper than some:

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+woodwor...utlands+dk7180

https://www.screwfix.com/p/scheppach...ine-230v/40540

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2017 19:53, Lobster wrote:
Just received my weekly AldiMail, and spotted a couple of bench grinders
coming in.
I do already have a small bench grinder, but could really do with something
that would grind wood chisel and plane blades. I notice that one of these
Aldi items (the "Wet and Dry Bench Grinder") is depicted with a chisel next
to it, suggesting it might fit the bill?
https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-wet-...95057174724501
(My current machine has two grinding wheels, which both look like the
right-hand one on the Aldi machine - it's the left-hand wheel which is
presumably of interest.

Looks almost identical to this one:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/energer-enb520grb-150mm-bench-grinder-240v/91494

from Screwfix except for two quid more the Screwfix one comes with a
wheel guard.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/2017 12:54, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

I have often thought about retro-fitting my "wet and dry" which, I
think, came from Wickes with suitable guides. Should not really be a
major job especially as it is already mounted on a base for fitting to a
Workmate.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/2017 12:46, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Not come across them before. Here is a bit more of an explanation

http://www.axminster.co.uk/tormek-sp...-grader-910080

I wonder whether any generic two-sided stone would work. I say that
because I have an old one in my grindstone drawer that I never use.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm grunted in
o.uk:

[...]

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+woodwor...nt-sharpening-
machines-8-wetstone-system-8-wetstone-sharpening-system-rutlands+dk7180

https://www.screwfix.com/p/scheppach...tstone-sharpen
ing-honing-machine-230v/40540

Thanks John; I can see the appeal - look much more like what I'd have
expected for sharpening duties. Though enough dosh to count as a serious
purchase rather than hiding it in the groceries as in the one from Aldi!
Might just wait till Xmas...

Aldi: angle grinders on special!!! F[_2_] UK diy 4 August 23rd 15 06:55 PM
Wood carving chisels for a beginner johno[_2_] UK diy 8 September 27th 11 10:33 AM
Sharpening wood chisels SteveB[_9_] Metalworking 17 October 13th 09 02:55 AM
Wood handled chisels wayne Woodworking 7 June 3rd 08 12:14 AM
SALE: Refurbished Semiconductor Equipment Dicing Saws, Lappers, Cut off, Polishers, Grinders Erik Eich Metalworking 2 August 23rd 03 05:47 AM