Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster Lobster is offline

Default Aldi grinders - for wood chisels?

newshound grunted in
news
On 09/10/2017 20:17, Brian Reay wrote:
On 09/10/2017 19:53, Lobster wrote:
I do already have a small bench grinder, but could really do with
something
that would grind wood chisel and plane blades.* I notice that one of
these
Aldi items (the "Wet and Dry Bench Grinder") is depicted with a
chisel next
to it, suggesting it might fit the bill?
https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-wet-...er/p/095057174
724501

The one with the wet wheel is the way to go for chisels etc.

The thing to watch out for with "high speed" grinders and also belt
sanders is heating up anything carbon steel (like a chisel)
sufficiently for it to "lose its temper". "Softened" tools can be
re-hardened and tempered, google and (no doubt YouTube) will have
plenty of details.

The low speed wet wheel is your best bet, or just an oil or water
stone, or a diamond lap, with a honing jig

https://www.screwfix.com/p/forge-ste...?kpid=1675C&ds
_rl=1245250&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvOzOBRDGARIsAICjxoflivUC VKiqZ40keGiyLEltmRjOK
WkILIhesgdJLUmnVV_F3bhjzEsaAl9VEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw. ds&dclid=CLKT2c2t5NYC
FSelUQodwkIAYA

Thanks a lot for the replies - really helpful.

I do currently have an oilstone and honing guide, which I'll still be
using for honing.

The loss of temper due to overheating hadn't occurred to me, I must
admit, so the 'wet' aspect of the Aldi machine would be good. As far as
I can see there's no way of getting a reasonably precise angle with that,
I guess you just have to hold the blade against the wheel?

I was also just looking at this Clarke item:
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clar...se-sharpening-
tool/
That does have a guide, but no water cooling.
It's also dearer, 50 GBP delivered vs 30 for the Aldi; but still do-able.

Hmm...?