Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Aldi grinders - for wood chisels?

On 10/10/2017 12:54, John Rumm wrote:
On 10/10/2017 10:52, Lobster wrote:

Thanks a lot for the replies - really helpful.

I do currently have an oilstone and honing guide, which I'll still be
using for honing.

The loss of temper due to overheating hadn't occurred to me, I must
admit, so the 'wet' aspect of the Aldi machine would be good.* As far as
I can see there's no way of getting a reasonably precise angle with that,
I guess you just have to hold the blade against the wheel?

I was also just looking at this Clarke item:
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clar...se-sharpening-
tool/
That does have a guide, but no water cooling.
It's also dearer, 50 GBP delivered vs 30 for the Aldi; but still do-able.

Not as convinced by the machines like that...

If going the wet stone route, then its worth considering something that
has the Tormek style tool holding rails, but none of them are
particularly cheap.

These are cheaper than some:

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+woodwor...utlands+dk7180

https://www.screwfix.com/p/scheppach...ine-230v/40540

I have often thought about retro-fitting my "wet and dry" which, I
think, came from Wickes with suitable guides. Should not really be a
major job especially as it is already mounted on a base for fitting to a
Workmate.