Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

Default Mr.Clutch?

"Fredxxx" wrote in message news ..

Do you understand that an increase in a car's speed requires an increase in kinetic
energy?

And the kinetic energy of a stationary vehicle is what exactly ?

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On 07/10/2017 13:10, michael adams wrote:

snip

And the kinetic energy of a stationary vehicle is what exactly ?

michael adams

Are you drunk, high on something, or is that a serious question?
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

"Fredxxx" wrote in message news
On 07/10/2017 13:10, michael adams wrote:

snip

And the kinetic energy of a stationary vehicle is what exactly ?

michael adams

Are you drunk, high on something, or is that a serious question?

It's a serious question

It was posted in response to this claim of yours.

Which for some reason you chose to snip.

"Fredxxx" wrote in message news ..

Do you understand that an increase in a car's speed requires an increase in kinetic
energy?

So I can only ask you again

And the kinetic energy of a stationary vehicle is what exactly ?

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

michael adams wrote:

snip

"Fredxxx" wrote in message
news

Do you understand that an increase in a car's speed requires an increase
in kinetic energy?

So I can only ask you again

And the kinetic energy of a stationary vehicle is what exactly ?

If you have no apples is there any particular problem in increasing the
number of apples you have? Compared with already having some apples. I
can see that negative apples would create a problem, but not one that a
vector quantity would share. For aeroplanes in particular, acceleration
in one direction may be necessary despite velocity being in another.
The behaviour of kinetic energy in this case is harder to calculate, but
follows rules.

--

Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

"Roger Hayter" wrote in message
michael adams wrote:

snip

"Fredxxx" wrote in message
news

Do you understand that an increase in a car's speed requires an increase
in kinetic energy?

So I can only ask you again

And the kinetic energy of a stationary vehicle is what exactly ?

If you have no apples is there any particular problem in increasing the
number of apples you have?

Not if the apples can self generate, no.

(Which is equivalent to applying Fred's definition to a stationary
vehicle)

It might be the foundation of a very profitable business
in fact.

But otherwise it would require an outside agency to provide the
apples.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 7 October 2017 15:07:02 UTC+1, Robin wrote:
On 07/10/2017 14:31, tabbypurr wrote:
On Saturday, 7 October 2017 14:01:48 UTC+1, michael adams wrote:
"Fredxxx" wrote in message news On 07/10/2017 13:10, michael adams wrote:

snip

And the kinetic energy of a stationary vehicle is what exactly ?

Are you drunk, high on something, or is that a serious question?

It's a serious question

need one say more

I assume he has in mind the way

dv/dt=p/(mv)

begs the question "does this mean you get infinite acceleration when the
vehicle is stationary"? And I assume he is looking for the answer "no
because the *useful* power delivered is also nil when the vehicle is
stationary".

I do not know if he is deliberately trolling by starting a new thread
without quoting the relevant preceding post(s) or just striving to be
seen as too clever by half.

Having read Michael before I doubt he has put a moment of thought into either point. Or any other.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

michael adams wrote:

"Roger Hayter" wrote in message
michael adams wrote:

snip

"Fredxxx" wrote in message
news
Do you understand that an increase in a car's speed requires an increase
in kinetic energy?

So I can only ask you again

And the kinetic energy of a stationary vehicle is what exactly ?

If you have no apples is there any particular problem in increasing the
number of apples you have?

Not if the apples can self generate, no.

(Which is equivalent to applying Fred's definition to a stationary
vehicle)

It might be the foundation of a very profitable business
in fact.

But otherwise it would require an outside agency to provide the
apples.

michael adams

If you accelerate a moving car in the direction of its motion, its
kinetic energy increases. If you accelerate a stationary[1] car, it
acquires kinetic energy. I think I am missing the problem.

[1] Stationary only in our local frame of reference, of course, but
that has no relevance at the sort of speeds we are talking about.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/2017 15:25, michael adams wrote:

Who would have thought that one simple question could cause
so much fuss ?

"Hey Gavrilo, I'm bored. Fancy coming out and taking a few pot shots at
the Archduke Ferdinand?"

"Have you put on a bit of weight darling?"

"Fancy one for the road?"

"Fancy a quickie?"

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/2017 15:39, Roger Hayter wrote:

But it is also true
that in any real car the acceleration at low speed is very much limited
by the traction the tyre can achieve rather than the power the engine
can produce.

Not in my car.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:

On 07/10/2017 15:25, michael adams wrote:

Who would have thought that one simple question could cause
so much fuss ?

"Hey Gavrilo, I'm bored. Fancy coming out and taking a few pot shots at
the Archduke Ferdinand?"

"Have you put on a bit of weight darling?"

"Fancy one for the road?"

"Fancy a quickie?"

Bill

First treated as one conversation, this mystified me.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 7 October 2017 15:39:40 UTC+1, Roger Hayter wrote:
Robin wrote:
On 07/10/2017 14:31, tabbypurr wrote:
On Saturday, 7 October 2017 14:01:48 UTC+1, michael adams wrote:
"Fredxxx" wrote in message
news wrote:
snip

And the kinetic energy of a stationary vehicle is what exactly ?

michael adams

Are you drunk, high on something, or is that a serious question?

It's a serious question

need one say more

I assume he has in mind the way

dv/dt=p/(mv)

begs the question "does this mean you get infinite acceleration when the
vehicle is stationary"? And I assume he is looking for the answer "no
because the *useful* power delivered is also nil when the vehicle is
stationary".

We are also talking about cars, and we know that in practice moving off
from stationary is a rather discontinuous process. But it is also true
that in any real car the acceleration at low speed is very much limited
by the traction the tyre can achieve rather than the power the engine
can produce.

I had no idea so many road cars were unreal.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On 07/10/2017 14:28, michael adams wrote:
"Roger Hayter" wrote in message
michael adams wrote:

snip

"Fredxxx" wrote in message
news
Do you understand that an increase in a car's speed requires an increase
in kinetic energy?

So I can only ask you again

And the kinetic energy of a stationary vehicle is what exactly ?

If you have no apples is there any particular problem in increasing the
number of apples you have?

Not if the apples can self generate, no.

You might receive a more meaningful answer in uk.rec.gardening
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On 07/10/2017 14:02, michael adams wrote:
"Fredxxx" wrote in message news
On 07/10/2017 13:10, michael adams wrote:

snip

And the kinetic energy of a stationary vehicle is what exactly ?

michael adams

Are you drunk, high on something, or is that a serious question?

It's a serious question

It was posted in response to this claim of yours.

Which for some reason you chose to snip.

Because you asked a question, presumably posed to DP, to my question.
This would have been some time ago.

snip an old post

And the kinetic energy of a stationary vehicle is what exactly ?

I find it most disturbing you need to ask twice. Google is your friend.

If you want to make a point then make it, don't ask a stupid question a
child would ask, and more likely know the answer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

michael adams wrote:

"Roger Hayter" wrote in message
michael adams wrote:

snip

"Fredxxx" wrote in message
[...]

I don't believe you're missing any problem. Mr Adams is trying to make a
point and failing handsomely in the process.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/2017 17:02, Roger Hayter wrote:
Bill Wright wrote:

On 07/10/2017 15:25, michael adams wrote:

Who would have thought that one simple question could cause
so much fuss ?

"Hey Gavrilo, I'm bored. Fancy coming out and taking a few pot shots at
the Archduke Ferdinand?"

"Have you put on a bit of weight darling?"

"Fancy one for the road?"

"Fancy a quickie?"

Bill

First treated as one conversation, this mystified me.

They are all valid answers to the question "How many surrealists does it
take to change a light bulb?"

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On 07/10/2017 13:10, michael adams wrote:
"Fredxxx" wrote in message news .

Do you understand that an increase in a car's speed requires an increase in kinetic
energy?

And the kinetic energy of a stationary vehicle is what exactly ?

At what temperature?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On 07/10/17 14:02, michael adams wrote:
"Fredxxx" wrote in message news
On 07/10/2017 13:10, michael adams wrote:

snip

And the kinetic energy of a stationary vehicle is what exactly ?

michael adams

Are you drunk, high on something, or is that a serious question?

It's a serious question

It was posted in response to this claim of yours.

Which for some reason you chose to snip.

"Fredxxx" wrote in message news .

Do you understand that an increase in a car's speed requires an increase in kinetic
energy?

So I can only ask you again

And the kinetic energy of a stationary vehicle is what exactly ?

Depends on the frame of reference.,

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:

On 07/10/2017 15:25, michael adams wrote:

Who would have thought that one simple question could cause
so much fuss ?

"Hey Gavrilo, I'm bored. Fancy coming out and taking a few pot shots at
the Archduke Ferdinand?"

"Have you put on a bit of weight darling?"

"Fancy one for the road?"

"Fancy a quickie?"

Bill

First treated as one conversation, this mystified me.

They are all valid answers to the question "How many surrealists does it
take to change a light bulb?"

No, they are all invalid answers to the question 'What caused causality?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/17 16:47, Bill Wright wrote:
On 07/10/2017 15:39, Roger Hayter wrote:

But it is also true
that in any real car the acceleration at low speed is very much limited
by the traction the tyre can achieve rather than the power the engine
can produce.

Not in my car.

I dont think we are talking about Noddy's pedal car, Big Ears...

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 7 October 2017 18:38:52 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 07/10/17 16:47, Bill Wright wrote:
On 07/10/2017 15:39, Roger Hayter wrote:

But it is also true
that in any real car the acceleration at low speed is very much limited
by the traction the tyre can achieve rather than the power the engine
can produce.

Not in my car.

I dont think we are talking about Noddy's pedal car, Big Ears...

It was a remarkably unrealistic claim.

I borrowed a new car recently, flooring it on the motorway made no noticeable difference.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 07/10/17 16:47, Bill Wright wrote:
On 07/10/2017 15:39, Roger Hayter wrote:

But it is also true that in any real car the acceleration at low
speed is very much limited by the traction the tyre can achieve
rather than the power the engine can produce.

Not in my car.

I dont think we are talking about Noddy's pedal car, Big Ears...

It was a remarkably unrealistic claim.

I borrowed a new car recently, flooring it on the motorway made no
noticeable difference.

It obviously wasn't a diesel

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

"michael adams" wrote in message
o.uk...

"Fredxxx" wrote in message
news .

Do you understand that an increase in a car's speed requires an increase
in kinetic energy?

And the kinetic energy of a stationary vehicle is what exactly ?

You're increasing that from zero, stupid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"michael adams" wrote in message
o.uk...

"Fredxxx" wrote in message news .

Do you understand that an increase in a car's speed requires an increase in kinetic
energy?

And the kinetic energy of a stationary vehicle is what exactly ?

You're increasing that from zero, stupid.

How can you increase the speed of a stationary car if, according
to Fred, you first require an increase in kinetic energy ?

The only way you could do that would be to push start the
car, or get a tow.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On 07/10/2017 20:51, michael adams wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"michael adams" wrote in message
o.uk...

"Fredxxx" wrote in message news .

Do you understand that an increase in a car's speed requires an increase in kinetic
energy?

And the kinetic energy of a stationary vehicle is what exactly ?

You're increasing that from zero, stupid.

How can you increase the speed of a stationary car if, according
to Fred, you first require an increase in kinetic energy ?

The only way you could do that would be to push start the
car, or get a tow.

You seem to have little grasp on the subject of Newtonian / Classical
mechanics.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

"Fredxxx" wrote in message
news .

Do you understand that an increase in a car's speed requires an
increase in kinetic energy?

And the kinetic energy of a stationary vehicle is what exactly ?

You're increasing that from zero, stupid.

How can you increase the speed of a stationary car if, according
to Fred, you first require an increase in kinetic energy ?

By getting the engine to increase the speed of the stationary car, stupid.

The only way you could do that would be to push start the
car, or get a tow.

Stop snorting that dog ****.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

"Fredxxx" wrote in message
news Do you understand that an increase in a car's speed requires an
increase in kinetic energy?

And the kinetic energy of a stationary vehicle is what exactly ?

You're increasing that from zero, stupid.

How can you increase the speed of a stationary car if, according
to Fred, you first require an increase in kinetic energy ?

The only way you could do that would be to push start the
car, or get a tow.

michael adams

I suppose the idea of a self-propelled vehicle must have come as a bit
of a surprise with the first traction engines. Indeed, I believe some
of the more inflexible sections of the 19th century population did
suspect something not quite natural, and a bit magical, about a vehicle
moving without being pulled or pushed. I would have thought we would
be used to it by now, though.

The speed and the kinetic energy are not different things, neither is
prior, they are different descriptions of the same thing.

--

Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

"Fredxxx" wrote in message
[...]

Careful, he'll implode between the ears if you don’t watch out.

On second thoughts...

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On 07/10/17 20:51, michael adams wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"michael adams" wrote in message
o.uk...

"Fredxxx" wrote in message news .

Do you understand that an increase in a car's speed requires an increase in kinetic
energy?

And the kinetic energy of a stationary vehicle is what exactly ?

You're increasing that from zero, stupid.

How can you increase the speed of a stationary car if, according
to Fred, you first require an increase in kinetic energy ?

The only way you could do that would be to push start the
car, or get a tow.

I see that a fundamental understanding of science does not exist in what
passes for your mind...

....a fairly typical remoaner, it would seem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

"Fredxxx" wrote in message
news .

Do you understand that an increase in a car's speed requires an
increase in kinetic
energy?

And the kinetic energy of a stationary vehicle is what exactly ?

You're increasing that from zero, stupid.

How can you increase the speed of a stationary car if, according
to Fred, you first require an increase in kinetic energy ?

The only way you could do that would be to push start the
car, or get a tow.

You seem to have little grasp on the subject of Newtonian / Classical
mechanics.

None at all, I suspect.
Worse, he seems unable to distinguish scientific models from reality,

Probably believes in 'climate change' then...

too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Ryobi Strimmer? Clutch or no clutch? john UK diy 4 April 13th 05 07:56 AM
Drill's Clutch Torque Setting? [email protected] Home Repair 8 January 12th 05 02:49 AM
Dyson DC04 clutch Wainscotting UK diy 4 January 1st 05 05:54 PM
Clutch master cylinder rebuild kits? Gunner Metalworking 49 August 17th 04 02:11 AM
Replacing clutch on cordless drill? Chris Woodworking 3 September 30th 03 06:50 PM