Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Keys in both sides of a lock?

On Wednesday, 4 October 2017 17:25:28 UTC+1, Dave W wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 4 October 2017 15:05:02 UTC+1, James Wilkinson
Sword
wrote:
On Wed, 04 Oct 2017 14:45:08 +0100, whisky-dave

wrote:

On Wednesday, 4 October 2017 13:05:15 UTC+1, James
Wilkinson
Sword
wrote:
On Wed, 04 Oct 2017 12:21:28 +0100, whisky-dave
wrote:

On Wednesday, 4 October 2017 00:20:32 UTC+1, James
Wilkinson
Sword
wrote:
On Tue, 03 Oct 2017 23:50:44 +0100, Steve Walker

SNAFU. Situation normal, all ****ed up. Nobody
thinks
before
designing
things.

There may well be a reason - with many traditional
locks
you
can
slide a
button on the inside, which prevents a key being used
from
the
outside.
The "one key prevents another being inserted" may be
deliberate
feature to "replicate" this function.

Never seen the point in that. I have a traditional
Yale
type
lock
and have never used that button. Why would I wish to
prevent
someone (probably myself) with a valid key from
unlocking
the
door?

I wouldn;t want someone breaking into my place when I
was
there
what
would be the point of them doing that unles sit was the
fire
brigade
or a medical emergancy.
People have used bolts on doors and mortice locks been
locked
at
night for years I thought most people locked themselves
in.

But if the lock works properly and cannot be picked, why
do
you
need
extra steps to prevent someone with a valid key from
unlocking
it?

What makes you so sure it's a valid key ? whatever that
means.
Are skeleton keys valid. ?

Which would mean the lock is rubbish. If you're out of your
house,
how
can you lock it from the inside to prevent a key being used?

You can't, but when leaving the house you have to have some
way
of
getting
back in, but when already in the house you don't need a way to
get
in
because you're already in.

Leaving your key in the door when you're inside has advanatges
too,
such
as in a fire you don't have to go find your key and neither
does
anyone
else who might happen to be in your house.
There are disadvantages too if someone broke in or could get
yuor
key
through the letter bix like I did once. (although) that was an
advantage
in my case.

I thought that doors only had one key in general use,

What makes you think that ? I knopw couples that have a key
each some even give a key to thier kids when they are old enough.

Yeah, IMO its stupid not to do it that way for all but the youngest
kids.

Unless you can't trust the kid for some reason

The only real consideration there is that some lose things a lot
and some are mindlessly paranoid about what someone else
might do with a lost key. Unlikely to be much of a problem
with most given that hardly anyone is likely to know what
the key fits, tho I spose you could argue that if the loser is
a teenager, they might have arsehole druggy mates who do.

Or that they are carrying something with their name and address on it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 13 October 2017 17:40:51 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 12 October 2017 17:24:58 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 07:16:26 -0700, whisky-dave wrote:

On Thursday, 12 October 2017 13:55:34 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 05:27:02 -0700, whisky-dave wrote:

On Thursday, 12 October 2017 12:25:58 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 03:19:14 -0700, whisky-dave wrote:

On Wednesday, 11 October 2017 17:25:28 UTC+1, Bob Eager
wrote:
On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 12:21:51 +0100, Dave W wrote:

the other can ring to be let in.

What happens IF that person dies or is taken seriously
ill.

You can't get in, either because you left the house by
slamming
the Yale lock without having its key, or you left the house
via
the key lock we're talking about, and the person put their
own
key in the lock after you'd gone.

Which is why I can unlock our front door from my mobile.

Can others .

No. At least, a vrowbar would be easier. It has 2FA.

So no one else can get into your property ? what happens if
something goes wrong with the phone ?, what if someone such as
the
wife or kids want to get in ?

The normal entry method is a key. Those flat metal things.

So the same problem as anyone else would have with a key from it
getting
lost stolen or broken.

No.

One can get into the house using a key.

can you get into the house using an app on the phone.

If that is lost or stolen, or forgotten, one can use the phone to gain
entry.

I suppose no one else can use a phonme and app to get in either

Corse they can't when they cant do the Touch ID on the phone
or supply the passcode the phone requires to allow it to be used.

Most phones don't have touch ID

Thats a lie with current phones.

and if yuo forget your phone....

You use the RFID instead. Even you should be able to manage that.

reams of your troll**** flushed where it belongs

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

if you're a family you might not all have current phones.

and if yuo forget your phone....

You use the RFID instead. Even you should be able to manage that.

What RFID ?

reams of your troll**** flushed where it belongs

You can't even anser what setup you have.
The problem is spare keys can cost a few quid and the sort of setup you're talking about runs into thousands.
And when losing an RFID cars they cost our students are charged a fiver for a replacement card.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

No big deal, use RFID for the little kids etc.

and if yuo forget your phone....

You use the RFID instead. Even you should be able to manage that.

What RFID ?

The one any decent electronic lock works with as well as phones.

You can't even anser what setup you have.

I have already, repeatedly.

The problem is spare keys can cost a few quid

RFID doesnt.

and the sort of setup you're talking about runs into thousands.

RFID doesnt. And the phone doesnt if you have one already.

And when losing an RFID cars they cost our students
are charged a fiver for a replacement card.

Irrelevant to what even a terminal ****wit like the PHucker
can manage to find on ebay etc for much less than that.

And dont try to claim that RFID is too easy to steal and
use to get into the house, no reason why the system cant
need a combination of RFID are rough person recognition
so that wont work even if the crim grabs the brat, strangles
it, cuts the RFID off, tosses the kid's corpse over the fence
and uses the RFID to get into the house.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Who can get 'tailgated' by just about anyone and it puts the kid at risk.
Why goive a kid a RFID but not a key ?

BTW just had to let a studetn through a door with RFID so he could go to the toilet as he;s not resistared as needing to use that particular door, as it;s realy for staff only, but because of building works this is by far the closest toilet. They don;t ant to give them access as that means they'll be able to get through any staff access door in the department.

and if yuo forget your phone....

You use the RFID instead. Even you should be able to manage that.

What RFID ?

The one any decent electronic lock works with as well as phones.

Whya would yuo carry an RFID and phone, if the phone can do everything the RFID card can ?

You can't even anser what setup you have.

I have already, repeatedly.

The problem is spare keys can cost a few quid

RFID doesnt.

Yeah sure so what was this setup ?
You don;t know miuch about RFID do you.

and the sort of setup you're talking about runs into thousands.

RFID doesnt.

Yes it does.
Just the maglocks on the door costs a few hundred if done properly then you''ll need a comnputer deciding which doors to open with a particyular card.

There's reasons why everyone hasn;t rushed out to buy them like they do iphones.

And when losing an RFID cars they cost our students
are charged a fiver for a replacement card.

Irrelevant to what even a terminal ****wit like the PHucker
can manage to find on ebay etc for much less than that.

Starnge then that not many have them then.

And dont try to claim that RFID is too easy to steal and
use to get into the house,

which they are just like any other card.

no reason why the system cant
need a combination of RFID are rough person recognition
so that wont work even if the crim grabs the brat, strangles
it, cuts the RFID off, tosses the kid's corpse over the fence
and uses the RFID to get into the house.

Then there's little point in RFID to many failure points for the home user to bother with.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Trivial to have a crisis button just inside the door they can hit.

Why goive a kid a RFID but not a key ?

Because its more convenient for the kid to use
and much less risk that a plastic strap thing on
their wrist that isnt easy to remove wont get lost.

and if yuo forget your phone....

You use the RFID instead. Even you should be able to manage that.

What RFID ?

The one any decent electronic lock works with as well as phones.

Whya would yuo carry an RFID and phone, if
the phone can do everything the RFID card can ?

Because the phone can die, the battery can go
flat, it can be left behind somewhere, or stolen.

You can't even anser what setup you have.

I have already, repeatedly.

The problem is spare keys can cost a few quid

RFID doesnt.

and the sort of setup you're talking about runs into thousands.

RFID doesnt.

Yes it does.

Nope. Just the one electronic lock for the front door doesnt.

There's reasons why everyone hasn;t rushed
out to buy them like they do iphones.

Yep, using the exiting key is cheaper.

And when losing an RFID cars they cost our students
are charged a fiver for a replacement card.

Irrelevant to what even a terminal ****wit like the PHucker
can manage to find on ebay etc for much less than that.

Starnge then that not many have them then.

Nope, not when the current key keeps working.

And dont try to claim that RFID is too
easy to steal and use to get into the house,

which they are just like any other card.

Even sillier than you usually manage. The RFID can be on a
plastic wrist strap like the hospitals use. Much harder to lose.

Which might just be why hospitals do it that way.

no reason why the system cant need a combination
of RFID are rough person recognition so that wont
work even if the crim grabs the brat, strangles it,
cuts the RFID off, tosses the kid's corpse over the
fence and uses the RFID to get into the house.

Then there's little point in RFID

Even sillier than you usually manage. Much harder for
little kids to lose, much more convenient for little kids
to have the door open auto when they show up outside.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

But they donlt do it and most of that is down to cost of the hardware &installation.

Just like teh fantastic idea that mobile phones would reduce crime, because if anyone saw a crime they'd call the police, hasn;lt realy, worked out as expected.

and if yuo forget your phone....

You use the RFID instead. Even you should be able to manage that.

What RFID ?

The one any decent electronic lock works with as well as phones.

Whya would yuo carry an RFID and phone, if
the phone can do everything the RFID card can ?

Because the phone can die, the battery can go
flat, it can be left behind somewhere, or stolen.

So what's the advantage over a key ?

You can't even anser what setup you have.

I have already, repeatedly.

The problem is spare keys can cost a few quid

RFID doesnt.

and the sort of setup you're talking about runs into thousands.

RFID doesnt.

Yes it does.

Nope. Just the one electronic lock for the front door doesnt.

what about the rest of the setup, maglocks installed, spply to the maglocks..

There's reasons why everyone hasn;t rushed
out to buy them like they do iphones.

Yep, using the exiting key is cheaper.

and replacing it is quick too.

And dont try to claim that RFID is too
easy to steal and use to get into the house,

which they are just like any other card.

Even sillier than you usually manage. The RFID can be on a
plastic wrist strap like the hospitals use. Much harder to lose.

You can do that with a key if you want.
I have my RFID on a chain and a set of keys on a chain attachet to my belt.
Really old tech, that doesn't require any instalation.

Which might just be why hospitals do it that way.

Hospital can afford it as it;s for multi[ple occpancy like universites and the like.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

But they donlt do it

Those with even half a clue do.

and if yuo forget your phone....

You use the RFID instead. Even you should be able to manage that.

What RFID ?

The one any decent electronic lock works with as well as phones.

Whya would yuo carry an RFID and phone, if
the phone can do everything the RFID card can ?

Because the phone can die, the battery can go
flat, it can be left behind somewhere, or stolen.

So what's the advantage over a key ?

Much harder to lose.

You can't even anser what setup you have.

I have already, repeatedly.

The problem is spare keys can cost a few quid

RFID doesnt.

and the sort of setup you're talking about runs into thousands.

RFID doesnt.

Yes it does.

Nope. Just the one electronic lock for the front door doesnt.

There's reasons why everyone hasn;t rushed
out to buy them like they do iphones.

Yep, using the exiting key is cheaper.

and replacing it is quick too.

True with RFID when you have enough of
a clue to get an extra one or two too.

And dont try to claim that RFID is too
easy to steal and use to get into the house,

which they are just like any other card.

Even sillier than you usually manage. The RFID can be on a
plastic wrist strap like the hospitals use. Much harder to lose.

You can do that with a key if you want.

Nothing like as conveniently when using it daily.

Which might just be why hospitals do it that way.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 12:21:51 +0100, Dave W wrote:

the other can ring to be let in.

What happens IF that person dies or is taken
seriously
ill.

You can't get in, either because you left the
house
by
slamming
the Yale lock without having its key, or you
left the
house
via
the key lock we're talking about, and the
person put
their
own
key in the lock after you'd gone.

Which is why I can unlock our front door from my
mobile.

Can others .

No. At least, a vrowbar would be easier. It has 2FA.

So no one else can get into your propertyÂ* ? what
[...]

the phone can do everything the RFID cardÂ* can ?

Because the phone can die, the battery can go
flat, it can be left behind somewhere, or stolen.

So what's the advantage over a key ?

Much harder to lose.

I'd disagree. It is easy to leave my phone or an RFID access card at
work or elsewhere. I can't leave my key because it is attached to my car
key and I'm not getting home easily without it!

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news

wrote:
[...]

More fool you. An RFID on a plastic strap that you
can't easily get off your wrist without cutting it off
is much harder for a little kid to lose than any key.

It is easy to leave my phone or an RFID access card at work or elsewhere.

But impossible with an RFID on a plastic strap that has
to be removed by cutting if off from your wrist, like
those ones that hospitals put on people, for a reason.

I can't leave my key because it is attached to my car key and I'm not
getting home easily without it!

Pity about little kids that don't drive cars very often at
all and who have been known to walk around at times.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Those with more than half a clue do NOT use them for hosuhold security.

and if yuo forget your phone....

You use the RFID instead. Even you should be able to manage that..

What RFID ?

The one any decent electronic lock works with as well as phones.

Whya would yuo carry an RFID and phone, if
the phone can do everything the RFID card can ?

Because the phone can die, the battery can go
flat, it can be left behind somewhere, or stolen.

So what's the advantage over a key ?

Much harder to lose.

Much easier to lose.

You can't even anser what setup you have.

I have already, repeatedly.

The problem is spare keys can cost a few quid

RFID doesnt.

and the sort of setup you're talking about runs into thousands.

RFID doesnt.

Yes it does.

Nope. Just the one electronic lock for the front door doesnt.

There's reasons why everyone hasn;t rushed
out to buy them like they do iphones.

Yep, using the exiting key is cheaper.

and replacing it is quick too.

True with RFID when you have enough of
a clue to get an extra one or two too.

Same with keys then.

And dont try to claim that RFID is too
easy to steal and use to get into the house,

which they are just like any other card.

Even sillier than you usually manage. The RFID can be on a
plastic wrist strap like the hospitals use. Much harder to lose.

You can do that with a key if you want.

Nothing like as conveniently when using it daily.

Not as secure as, those maglocks arenlt as secure as even a bolt on the door.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Who wants a CC object around their wrist all day long, what a stupid idea, it'd get in the way for all sorts of jobs.

It is easy to leave my phone or an RFID access card at work or elsewhere.

But impossible with an RFID on a plastic strap that has
to be removed by cutting if off from your wrist, like
those ones that hospitals put on people, for a reason.

if yuo used intelgence you'd be able to work out why they use them on the patients and not on the staff as it;s theb staff that need to go through doors many times a day NOT the patients, and they don;t use RFID on the majority of those wrist bands either.