Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Eternal September

Is Eternal September usenet server down or is just me??

TIA

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/09/2017 19:55, Bob Minchin wrote:
Is Eternal September usenet server down or is just me??

Still flaky for me - seems to go OK for a few posts then gives a
connection error. Using aioe for now.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH wrote:
On 21/09/2017 19:55, Bob Minchin wrote:
Is Eternal September usenet server down or is just me??

Still flaky for me - seems to go OK for a few posts then gives a
connection error. Using aioe for now.

Thanks,
More than flaky here - refusing multiple attempts to connect.
using Virgin for this enquiry.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/09/2017 19:55, Bob Minchin wrote:
Is Eternal September usenet server down or is just me??

Been flaky for me ever since they swamped servers a week or so ago.

I thought it was getting better but it isn't working again today.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Minchin
writes
Is Eternal September usenet server down or is just me??

The only time I noticed a problem was the beginning of last week, when I
could not connect for a whole morning. After that, it settled, and I
did not experience any of the problems others mentioned.

Today, however, no problem connecting, but I notice from replies that I
am not receiving all articles. I did not, for example, see the initial
question about white hardboard for a boat, but have seen the replies.
--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/09/2017 21:01, Graeme wrote:
In message , Bob Minchin
writes
Is Eternal September usenet server down or is just me??

The only time I noticed a problem was the beginning of last week, when I
could not connect for a whole morning.Â* After that, it settled, and I
did not experience any of the problems others mentioned.

Today, however, no problem connecting, but I notice from replies that I
am not receiving all articles.Â* I did not, for example, see the initial
question about white hardboard for a boat, but have seen the replies.

If you use ES I commend the ES support group for news on the server.
Ray Banana posted there re timeout issues at 19:37

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/09/2017 19:55, Bob Minchin wrote:
Is Eternal September usenet server down or is just me??

TIA

Bob

I could not even post that question, and at one point could not view
other posts.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 19:55:21 +0100, Bob Minchin
wrote:

Is Eternal September usenet server down or is just me??

Is there a more reliable supplier that members would recommend? I
have no objection to paying a reasonable subscription in return for
reliable service.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
aa aa is offline

https://news.individual.net/

--
aa
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/09/2017 21:46, Robin wrote:
On 21/09/2017 21:01, Graeme wrote:
In message , Bob Minchin
writes
Is Eternal September usenet server down or is just me??

The only time I noticed a problem was the beginning of last week, when
I could not connect for a whole morning.Â* After that, it settled, and
I did not experience any of the problems others mentioned.

Today, however, no problem connecting, but I notice from replies that
I am not receiving all articles.Â* I did not, for example, see the
initial question about white hardboard for a boat, but have seen the
replies.

If you use ES I commend the ES support group for news on the server. Ray
Banana posted there re timeout issues at 19:37

The problem is that I can't see this support group from my alternate
newsserver so when eternal-september is down I can't see the support
messages explaining why it is down.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It was flakey for a while yesterday. Not checked today yet.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
Is Eternal September usenet server down or is just me??

TIA

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I tend to alternate between albersani and Eternal September. One has to
remember with the latter that the server was only replaced a couple of weeks
ago and they are still working on some bits of the installation.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
news
wrote:

Is Eternal September usenet server down or is just me??

Is there a more reliable supplier that members would recommend? I
have no objection to paying a reasonable subscription in return for
reliable service.

https://news.individual.net/

--
aa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nick" wrote in message
news
[...]

there don't seem to be support messages explaining why it is down

just random users complaining that it is (which may, or may not, get
answered by support staff with an explanation)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Is Eternal September usenet server down or is just me??

Is there a more reliable supplier that members would recommend? I
have no objection to paying a reasonable subscription in return for
reliable service.

I use Eternal September *and* News.Individual.NET (which is the
University of Berlin's paid, 10 Euros/year server). I collect the
news using leafnode which acts as a local news server. Leafnode runs
at intervals in the background to collect the news. Hence, while I
have had a few errors mailed to me by leafnode due to the problems at
Eternal September, my newsreader never notices any issues at all
because it just connects to the local (same machine) leafnode server.

So, as a recommendation, try News.Individual.NET, I've had no errors
using that for months, if not years.

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Is Eternal September usenet server down or is just me??

Is there a more reliable supplier that members would recommend? I
have no objection to paying a reasonable subscription in return for
reliable service.

https://news.individual.net/

I paid $50.00 3 0r 4 years ago for astraweb for1000 Gb and at the rate I
am using it I will be dead for 50 years before it runs out
Look under astraweb membership plans
not that astraweb does not have problems
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Robin" wrote in message
On 22/09/2017 08:39, tim... wrote:
snip

there don't seem to be support messages explaining why it is down

just random users complaining that it is (which may, or may not, get
answered by support staff with an explanation)

The "support staff" is Ray Banana. AIUI he eats, sleeps, works, defecates
etc. And possibly doesn't devote every minute they leave him to ES

well obviously he does

As others have said, if you don't like ES there are other servers which
can be used instead or in parallel.

I didn't say that I didn't like it

I am saying that pointing people to the support group as a panacea is bogus,
cos all it (mostly) is, is a bunch of users taking to each other

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
Is Eternal September usenet server down or is just me??

TIA

Bob

as usual when digital things are improved they get worse .......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Nick wrote:
The problem is that I can't see this support group from my alternate
newsserver so when eternal-september is down I can't see the support
messages explaining why it is down.

My free alternative is AIOE. They do carry uk.d-i-y and has never been
down at the same time as ES here.

--
*Learn from your parents' mistakes - use birth control.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Nick
writes
[...]

Go to their website.
--
bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Is Eternal September usenet server down or is just me??

Is there a more reliable supplier that members would recommend? I
have no objection to paying a reasonable subscription in return for
reliable service.

https://news.individual.net/

According to https://news.individual.net/register/step1.php

"Due to changes in European tax law coming into force on 01.01.2015,
we can only offer our service to users which have their tax domicile
in Germany."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott wrote:

According to https://news.individual.net/register/step1.php

"Due to changes in European tax law coming into force on 01.01.2015,
we can only offer our service to users which have their tax domicile
in Germany."

I first subscribed in 2016.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Is Eternal September usenet server down or is just me??

Is there a more reliable supplier that members would recommend? I
have no objection to paying a reasonable subscription in return for
reliable service.

https://news.individual.net/

According to https://news.individual.net/register/step1.php

"Due to changes in European tax law coming into force on 01.01.2015,
we can only offer our service to users which have their tax domicile
in Germany."

That was just a temporary glitch.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
aa aa is offline

wrote:

Is Eternal September usenet server down or is just me??

Is there a more reliable supplier that members would recommend? I
have no objection to paying a reasonable subscription in return for
reliable service.

https://news.individual.net/

According to https://news.individual.net/register/step1.php

"Due to changes in European tax law coming into force on 01.01.2015,
we can only offer our service to users which have their tax domicile
in Germany."

I queried the tax domicile point with them last week and they replied thus:

"At News.Individual.NET, we don't collect information about a user's
residential address, tax domicile, social security number and so on.

We need an e-mail address to get in touch and e.g. send a password to,
and we like to have a name so we know how to address or refer to people.

And we'd like to keep it that way.

The new European VAT regulations mean a lot more bureaucracy for
providers of digital services. We hope for a workable solution in the
medium term, and until then, try to keep providing our service as it
stands, as far as possible. If we should be forced to make more tangible
changes in the future, we would notify all affected users individually
via e-mail.

Regards, Individual.NET Administration"
--
aa