Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default B&Q oddity

Lamp batten with switch £1.50

Lamp batten without switch £2.50

Eh!?

and to make things even worse:

Lamp batten (w/o switch) plus flex and ceiling rose £2.50

I went to Wickes (didn't save anything 1.59 - I could have bought the B&Q
switched version and just left the switch permanently on!)

And boy are these things a bugger to fit - standing on a chair with your
arms at full stretch :-(

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Sep 2017 20:19:40 +0100, tim... wrote:

Lamp batten with switch £1.50

Lamp batten without switch £2.50

Eh!?

and to make things even worse:

Lamp batten (w/o switch) plus flex and ceiling rose £2.50

I went to Wickes (didn't save anything 1.59 - I could have bought the
B&Q switched version and just left the switch permanently on!)

And boy are these things a bugger to fit - standing on a chair with your
arms at full stretch :-(

I know it doesn't help much with the original fitting, but I have fitted
these, which makes subsequent work easier.

https://goo.gl/pH7mu7

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tim...
writes

And boy are these things a bugger to fit - standing on a chair with
your arms at full stretch :-(

One of the most useful tools in my armoury is a small step ladder. Only
two steps plus platform and handrail, but perfect for all those just out
of reach jobs like light bulbs and fittings, curtain rails and just
reaching up. I use it almost daily, and because it is light, I can grab
and carry it with one hand, where I probably wouldn't bother with a
larger ladder. About the size of an ironing board when closed, and kept
with the ironing board. Indispensable. Seriously.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Huge
writes

All true, but I have discovered that a "jump-up", aka "work platform" is
even more useful.

I do have a platform which is useful for painting ceilings and stuff,
but, not being a fan of ladders in general, I really like the small step
ladder with raised handrail. I suppose it gives me a feeling of
security. Yes, I know I'm only a couple of feet off floor level, and
no, I don't lean against the rail as such, but I just know the rail is
there. Daft, I know.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/09/2017 22:28, Huge wrote:

All true, but I have discovered that a "jump-up", aka "work platform" is
even more useful.

Unless you have high ceilings. I have a couple of these and they are
too short for comfortable ceiling work (by around 150mm)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Sep 2017 22:21:57 +0100, Graeme wrote:

In message , tim...
writes

And boy are these things a bugger to fit - standing on a chair with your
arms at full stretch :-(

One of the most useful tools in my armoury is a small step ladder. Only
two steps plus platform and handrail, but perfect for all those just out
of reach jobs like light bulbs and fittings, curtain rails and just
reaching up. I use it almost daily, and because it is light, I can grab
and carry it with one hand, where I probably wouldn't bother with a
larger ladder. About the size of an ironing board when closed, and kept
with the ironing board. Indispensable. Seriously.

Yes. We keep a similar thing in the utility room.

In the workshop I have a library stool, for those high shelves!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-09-13, Graeme wrote:
In message , tim...
writes

And boy are these things a bugger to fit - standing on a chair with
your arms at full stretch :-(

One of the most useful tools in my armoury is a small step ladder.
Only two steps plus platform and handrail, but perfect for all those
just out of reach jobs like light bulbs and fittings, curtain rails and
just reaching up. I use it almost daily, and because it is light, I
can grab and carry it with one hand, where I probably wouldn't bother
with a larger ladder. About the size of an ironing board when closed,
and kept with the ironing board. Indispensable. Seriously.

All true, but I have discovered that a "jump-up", aka "work platform" is
even more useful. Bought one on a whim recently from Screwfix;

http://www.screwfix.com/p/work-platf...um-900mm/6409p

It wasn't bloody £35, either. They must have been on offer, or
something. I have no idea how I ever managed without one.

That's the 900mm one. The 600mm one is 25 quid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Sep 2017 21:28:33 GMT, Huge wrote:

All true, but I have discovered that a "jump-up", aka "work platform" is
even more useful. Bought one on a whim recently from Screwfix;

http://www.screwfix.com/p/work-platf...um-900mm/6409p

It wasn't bloody £35, either. They must have been on offer, or something. I
have no idea how I ever managed without one.

Mine were free when I took early retirement by walking out and the
******s I had been tuped to did not know we had a lock up store in
another location.
I'm glad I got two as the missus has invariably commandeered one as a
plant stand in her green house when she has filled all the
shelves,occasionally things get fractious when I find she has used
both.
I've found having two supporting a staging board is useful when
painting a ceiling as you can reach quite a large area before having
to move them.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

You know it is funny as many many years ago, Tandy sold a 5 amp variable
voltage power supply, both in kit form and ready built. the kit cost five
pounds more than the built one. This is just one way that hobby electronics
was killed!
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"tim..." wrote in message
news
Lamp batten with switch £1.50

Lamp batten without switch £2.50

Eh!?

and to make things even worse:

Lamp batten (w/o switch) plus flex and ceiling rose £2.50

I went to Wickes (didn't save anything 1.59 - I could have bought the B&Q
switched version and just left the switch permanently on!)

And boy are these things a bugger to fit - standing on a chair with your
arms at full stretch :-(

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/09/2017 08:31, Brian Gaff wrote:
You know it is funny as many many years ago, Tandy sold a 5 amp variable
voltage power supply, both in kit form and ready built. the kit cost five
pounds more than the built one. This is just one way that hobby electronics
was killed!

It was almost always the case that building something electronics from
scratch wasn't that cost effective compared to buying the finished item
unless you worked in the industry and components could be "borrowed"
from the company stock

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/09/17 09:25, alan_m wrote:
On 14/09/2017 08:31, Brian Gaff wrote:
You know it is funny as many many years ago, Tandy sold a 5 amp variable
voltage power supply, both in kit form and ready built. the kit cost five
pounds more than the built one. This is just one way that hobby
electronics
was killed!

It was almost always the case that building something electronics from
scratch wasn't that cost effective compared to buying the finished item
unless you worked in the industry and components could be "borrowed"
from the company stock

johnny cash - one piece at a time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWHniL8MyMM

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/09/2017 22:28, Huge wrote:

All true, but I have discovered that a "jump-up", aka "work platform" is
even more useful. Bought one on a whim recently from Screwfix;

http://www.screwfix.com/p/work-platf...um-900mm/6409p

It wasn't bloody £35, either. They must have been on offer, or something. I
have no idea how I ever managed without one.

They do a 600mm version for 24.99
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
You need a taller chair.

but then it wouldn't fit under the table when I sat on it :-(

(I did look around the room to see if there was anything I could place on
the chair to raise me up a little bit, but I decided that was likely to be a
short trip to ending up in a pile on the floor)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim..." wrote:

Lamp batten with switch £1.50

Lamp batten without switch £2.50

Eh!?

and to make things even worse:

Lamp batten (w/o switch) plus flex and ceiling rose £2.50

ITYM "pendant lamp holder" - a batten fixture screws to e.g. the
back of a cupboard.

I went to Wickes (didn't save anything 1.59 - I could have bought the
B&Q switched version and just left the switch permanently on!)

And boy are these things a bugger to fit - standing on a chair with
your arms at full stretch :-(

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Youngman-5-T...adder/p/170002

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/09/2017 22:38, Graeme wrote:
I do have a platform which is useful for painting ceilings and stuff,
but, not being a fan of ladders in general, I really like the small step
ladder with raised handrail.Â* I suppose it gives me a feeling of
security.Â* Yes, I know I'm only a couple of feet off floor level, and
no, I don't lean against the rail as such, but I just know the rail is
there.Â* Daft, I know.

Same here, I think it's a case of the handrail providing a nearby fixed
point of reference rather than actually needing to lean on it.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/09/2017 13:38, tim... wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
You need a taller chair.

but then it wouldn't fit under the table when I sat on it :-(

So stand on the table instead :-(

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Clarke" wrote in message
news
On 14/09/2017 13:38, tim... wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
You need a taller chair.

but then it wouldn't fit under the table when I sat on it :-(

So stand on the table instead :-(

Yeah, thats what I did when I needed to do that to a pendant light.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 13 September 2017 21:55:22 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 13 Sep 2017 20:19:40 +0100, tim... wrote:

I know it doesn't help much with the original fitting, but I have fitted
these, which makes subsequent work easier.

https://goo.gl/pH7mu7

I used these with my last light fighting.

https://www.rapidonline.com/elkay-13...y-plug-21-1155

https://www.rapidonline.com/elkay-13...socket-21-1185

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 03:04:47 -0700, whisky-dave wrote:

On Wednesday, 13 September 2017 21:55:22 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 13 Sep 2017 20:19:40 +0100, tim... wrote:

I know it doesn't help much with the original fitting, but I have
fitted these, which makes subsequent work easier.

https://goo.gl/pH7mu7

I used these with my last light fighting.

https://www.rapidonline.com/elkay-13...uded-terminal-

block-3-way-plug-21-1155

https://www.rapidonline.com/elkay-13...uded-terminal-

block-3-way-socket-21-1185

Yes, but they don't by themselves take the weight of a ceiling fitting.

(and they are DISCONTINUED)

As it happens, I've used some of those for concealed strip lighting in an
enormous wall unit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 15 September 2017 14:52:46 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 03:04:47 -0700, whisky-dave wrote:

On Wednesday, 13 September 2017 21:55:22 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 13 Sep 2017 20:19:40 +0100, tim... wrote:

I know it doesn't help much with the original fitting, but I have
fitted these, which makes subsequent work easier.

https://goo.gl/pH7mu7

I used these with my last light fighting.

https://www.rapidonline.com/elkay-13...uded-terminal-

block-3-way-plug-21-1155

https://www.rapidonline.com/elkay-13...uded-terminal-

block-3-way-socket-21-1185

Yes, but they don't by themselves take the weight of a ceiling fitting.

For what I was doing they didn't need to as my light fitting was teh cieling fitting and already had a termnial block inside.

(and they are DISCONTINUED)

By rapid which was an extra advantage for me as I had 3 'sets' at work.

But I would have thought there might be other suppliers.

As it happens, I've used some of those for concealed strip lighting in an
enormous wall unit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/09/2017 13:38, tim... wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
You need a taller chair.

but then it wouldn't fit under the table when I sat on it :-(

It depends on the chair, here is one I made earlier:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Library_chair

(although if standing on the very top I tend to feel more secure when
there is a substantial bookcase in front to steady against, just in case!)

(I did look around the room to see if there was anything I could place
on the chair to raise me up a little bit, but I decided that was likely
to be a short trip to ending up in a pile on the floor)

--
Cheers,

John.

GU10 oddity Iain UK diy 21 February 22nd 13 12:41 PM
Internet oddity ... Jethro_uk[_2_] UK diy 12 November 19th 12 08:06 PM
Doorbell Oddity Charles Bishop[_2_] Home Repair 5 October 9th 08 06:36 AM
Antec Smartpower PSU mains wiring oddity Les Matthew Electronics Repair 7 March 10th 08 08:16 AM
switch wiring oddity Witchy UK diy 5 September 13th 04 11:12 PM