Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default GU10 oddity

I have a GU10 4-light fitting in the kitchen, fitted in August last
year. Since then I have gone through 6 replacement bulbs, all but one
have been in the same position in the fitting. Coincidence or What?

Iain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Iain writes:
I have a GU10 4-light fitting in the kitchen, fitted in August last
year. Since then I have gone through 6 replacement bulbs, all but one
have been in the same position in the fitting. Coincidence or What?

Probably not. Two possibilities -

Vibration, e.g. people walking around on the floor above. The fitting
might amplify this in certain positions, which might line up with one
of the lamps.

The replacement lamps you got are shorter life than the originals.

These really are the most awful lights, and usually horribly
inefficient - would suggest you get something better and more
appropriate to a kitchen.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Feb, 12:57, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
In article ,
* * * * Iain writes:

I have a GU10 4-light fitting in the kitchen, fitted in August last
year. Since then I have gone through 6 replacement bulbs, all but one
have been in the same position in the fitting. Coincidence or What?

Probably not. Two possibilities -

Vibration, e.g. people walking around on the floor above. The fitting
might amplify this in certain positions, which might line up with one
of the lamps.

The replacement lamps you got are shorter life than the originals.

These really are the most awful lights, and usually horribly
inefficient *- would suggest you get something better and more
appropriate to a kitchen.

whatever that might be....

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K put finger to keyboard:

Â* Â* Â* Â* Iain writes:

I have a GU10 4-light fitting in the kitchen, fitted in August last
year. Since then I have gone through 6 replacement bulbs, all but one
have been in the same position in the fitting. Coincidence or What?

Probably not. Two possibilities -

Vibration, e.g. people walking around on the floor above. The fitting
might amplify this in certain positions, which might line up with one
of the lamps.

The replacement lamps you got are shorter life than the originals.

These really are the most awful lights, and usually horribly
inefficient Â*- would suggest you get something better and more
appropriate to a kitchen.

whatever that might be....

I ripped the GU10s out of my kitchen and put in fluorescent tubes. Very
happy with them, no more shadows.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-02-14, Scion wrote:

Jim K put finger to keyboard:
On 14 Feb, 12:57, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

These really are the most awful lights, and usually horribly
inefficient Â*- would suggest you get something better and more
appropriate to a kitchen.

whatever that might be....

I ripped the GU10s out of my kitchen and put in fluorescent tubes. Very
happy with them, no more shadows.

I like those, but we're in the process of trying to find good
replacements for the two Ikea fluorescent fittings in the landing with
plastic film that's perished in the cover. I saw some in the TLC
catalogue that I liked but the Planning Committee objected that they
looked like office lights. Then she pointed out the bit of the
description that said "ideal for offices, hospitals, ...".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam Funk put finger to keyboard:

On 2013-02-14, Scion wrote:

Jim K put finger to keyboard:
On 14 Feb, 12:57, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

These really are the most awful lights, and usually horribly
inefficient Â*- would suggest you get something better and more
appropriate to a kitchen.

whatever that might be....

I ripped the GU10s out of my kitchen and put in fluorescent tubes. Very
happy with them, no more shadows.

I like those, but we're in the process of trying to find good
replacements for the two Ikea fluorescent fittings in the landing with
plastic film that's perished in the cover. I saw some in the TLC
catalogue that I liked but the Planning Committee objected that they
looked like office lights. Then she pointed out the bit of the
description that said "ideal for offices, hospitals, ...".

TBH I wouldn't have them on a landing or in a living room. And insects get
in and die so the cover needs removing every quarter or so; how long it's
going to last I don't know as it is less than a year old.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Iain writes:

I have a GU10 4-light fitting in the kitchen, fitted in August last
year. Since then I have gone through 6 replacement bulbs, all but one
have been in the same position in the fitting. Coincidence or What?

Probably not. Two possibilities -

Vibration, e.g. people walking around on the floor above. The fitting
might amplify this in certain positions, which might line up with one
of the lamps.

The replacement lamps you got are shorter life than the originals.

These really are the most awful lights, and usually horribly
inefficient - would suggest you get something better and more
appropriate to a kitchen.

whatever that might be....

Long tube fluoros IMO.

The parents had the same thing with translucent drop in panels over the
entire kitchen ceiling so the whole thing lit up. Quite a decent effect too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Iain writes:

I have a GU10 4-light fitting in the kitchen, fitted in August last
year. Since then I have gone through 6 replacement bulbs, all but
one have been in the same position in the fitting. Coincidence or
What?

Probably not. Two possibilities -

Vibration, e.g. people walking around on the floor above. The fitting
might amplify this in certain positions, which might line up with one
of the lamps.

The replacement lamps you got are shorter life than the originals.

These really are the most awful lights, and usually horribly
inefficient - would suggest you get something better and more
appropriate to a kitchen.

whatever that might be....

Jim K

My kitchen is lit by seven Philips 33W warm white flourescents (individually
switched).
I've recently tried replacing one of them with a pair of chinese 7W LEDs in
a Y-shaped E27 splitter.
I'm sufficiently impressed with the result that I intend shortly to begin
replacing
the others.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Feb 2013 12:52:33 -0000, "Jim Hawkins"
wrote:

I've recently tried replacing one of them with a pair of chinese 7W LEDs in
a Y-shaped E27 splitter.
I'm sufficiently impressed with the result that I intend shortly to begin
replacing
the others.

I have four directed ceiling spots in the back room, used as
wall/ceiling washers, initially fitted with PAR30 tungstens but with
the intention of LED replacement. I recently got two Chinese-made
PAR30 7W dimmable lamps, soak-tested them for a fortnight in two
ordinary fittings, while I went and got a suitable dimmer and fitted
them a few days ago.
The beam is narrower, but not by much and they quite happily live on
the dimmer along with the remaining pair of incandescents (noticebly
different dimming characteristics, though) and will cheerfully send
off for another pair from China, shortly.
Big difference in price - 18usd as opposed to twice that, anywhere
else, and free shipping.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/2013 12:57, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Iain writes:
I have a GU10 4-light fitting in the kitchen, fitted in August last
year. Since then I have gone through 6 replacement bulbs, all but one
have been in the same position in the fitting. Coincidence or What?

Probably not. Two possibilities -

Vibration, e.g. people walking around on the floor above. The fitting
might amplify this in certain positions, which might line up with one
of the lamps.

The replacement lamps you got are shorter life than the originals.

These really are the most awful lights, and usually horribly
inefficient - would suggest you get something better and more
appropriate to a kitchen.

Unfortunately SWMBO chose them and I'm not brave enough to tell her that
it was a bad choice. Maybe once she notices the heat marks on the
ceiling she'll decide to have them changed.
cheers,
Iain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Iain writes:
I have a GU10 4-light fitting in the kitchen, fitted in August last
year. Since then I have gone through 6 replacement bulbs, all but one
have been in the same position in the fitting. Coincidence or What?

Probably not. Two possibilities -

Vibration, e.g. people walking around on the floor above. The fitting
might amplify this in certain positions, which might line up with one
of the lamps.

The replacement lamps you got are shorter life than the originals.

These really are the most awful lights, and usually horribly
inefficient - would suggest you get something better and more
appropriate to a kitchen.

Unfortunately SWMBO chose them and I'm not brave enough to tell her that
it was a bad choice. Maybe once she notices the heat marks on the
ceiling she'll decide to have them changed.
cheers,

If you must use spotlamps, the 12V ones are much more efficient.
However, the EU has it's sights on banning them (probably both
types, but not yet decided).

LEDs are getting there, and if your light can take longer lamps
then your halogen GU10s and they're not enclosed, you might find
some of the larger LED replacements are just about viable now,
and this will improve with time. LEDs won't be susceptable to
vibration, just to excessively optimistic marketing claims ;-)
GU10's spill a lot of light outside the main beam, which you
might be relying on for the general lighting - LEDs have more
controlled beams so you might want to make sure you get wide
angle ones if you are relying on spillage of the GU10s.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/2013 18:09, Sam Plusnet wrote:
No burn marks & (so far) no lamp failures - but it's only been there for
about 4 months.

My son has entirely gone over to LEDs - he got fed up with the weekly
fails, as his kitchen and lounge had IIRC 6 mains halogens each. So far
so good...

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 18:09:42 -0000, Sam Plusnet wrote:

In article ,
says...

LEDs are getting there, and if your light can take longer lamps
then your halogen GU10s and they're not enclosed, you might find
some of the larger LED replacements are just about viable now,
and this will improve with time. LEDs won't be susceptable to
vibration, just to excessively optimistic marketing claims ;-)
GU10's spill a lot of light outside the main beam, which you
might be relying on for the general lighting - LEDs have more
controlled beams so you might want to make sure you get wide
angle ones if you are relying on spillage of the GU10s.

Opinions vary, but for me LEDs have already gotten there.

I bought a cheap & cheerful 4 lamp spot bar for the kitchen from Argos &
replaced the supplied 50W halogens with

"Long Life Lamp Company GU10 5 Watt Super Bright LED with New Chip
Technology, Warm White 50w replacements"

from Amazon.

Initially, I left one 50W Halogen in place for comparison purposes. The
LEDs are a slightly different colour, but it's only really noticeable
when you do a side-by-side comparison. Brightness & beams width seemed
fine to me & the LEDs are the same physical size as the halogens.

No burn marks & (so far) no lamp failures - but it's only been there for
about 4 months.

I had no problems with LED GU10 bulbs while they worked but they were
very expensive and lasted no longer than the halogens. CFLs wouldn't
fit our fittings so we've gone back to halogens :-(
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 14:54:23 +0000, just as I was about to take a
herb, Iain disturbed my reverie and wrote:

Unfortunately SWMBO chose them and I'm not brave enough to tell her that
it was a bad choice

Mine too. I told her about the shadows, but did she listen? She even
has trouble with a sat nav as she won't listen or be told.
--

Cheers

DrT
______________________________
We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
our lives; but we can always choose whether or not
to dance in the puddles (Jewish proverb).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Iain wrote:

I have a GU10 4-light fitting in the kitchen, fitted in August last
year. Since then I have gone through 6 replacement bulbs, all but one
have been in the same position in the fitting. Coincidence or What?

What make?

Used a friend with a similar fitting (bathroom and always being left on)
as a guinea pig for replacement bulbs. Toolstation's cheapy ones lasted
a matter of weeks each. Tesco's own lasted better but not by much. Only
ones worth having were Sylvania (also from TS.) They were put in
probably a year ago and are still going.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Scott M wrote:
Used a friend with a similar fitting (bathroom and always being left on)
as a guinea pig for replacement bulbs. Toolstation's cheapy ones lasted
a matter of weeks each. Tesco's own lasted better but not by much. Only
ones worth having were Sylvania (also from TS.) They were put in
probably a year ago and are still going.

I'd second that. Shed etc ones seem to only last minutes. Sylvania which I
got from TLC have the stated life.

--
*Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.