Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What key for *old* Jacobs chuck 33B?

Neighbour has just returned my old Wolf Sapphire drill without the chuck
key and with a cheery "sorry but they're all the same and I know you've
others". It's a Jacobs Chuck 33B, 5/64"-1/2", made in Sheffield. I see
that _current_ Jacobs 33BA chucks made in the USA use a K32 key [1] and
that places like Cromwell Tools sell K32 keys. But are the current
versions going to be the same size as mine, and the same both sides of
the pond please?

I know it's only a few quid even with postage to take a punt from
Cromwell but I only use the drill to mix small amounts of muck &
plaster, and keep it mainly from nostalgia.

[1]http://www.michiganpneumatic.com/customer/mipnto/extrahtm/jacobsref.htma

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 07 Aug 2017 16:44:23 +0100, Robin wrote:

Neighbour has just returned my old Wolf Sapphire drill without the chuck
key and with a cheery "sorry but they're all the same and I know you've
others".

Dear Neighbour, as you will be aware you borrowed an antique tool from me
and have returned it in an incomplete state.

As the tool is irreplaceable I now require you to buy me a modern
equivalent (state spec) for same or, if you prefer, to compensate me in
the amount of £xx.

Oh, and next time you want to borrow something, unless you provide me
with a deposit bond in the sun of £xx, you can sod off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/2017 16:44, Robin wrote:

Neighbour has just returned my old Wolf Sapphire drill without the chuck
key and with a cheery "sorry but they're all the same and I know you've
others". It's a Jacobs Chuck 33B, 5/64"-1/2", made in Sheffield. I see
that _current_ Jacobs 33BA chucks made in the USA use a K32 key [1] and
that places like Cromwell Tools sell K32 keys. But are the current
versions going to be the same size as mine, and the same both sides of
the pond please?

I know it's only a few quid even with postage to take a punt from
Cromwell but I only use the drill to mix small amounts of muck &
plaster, and keep it mainly from nostalgia.

Not quite the same but I have a B&D D720 drill which is at least 40
years old and probably a similar vintage to your Wolf. It has a 1/2"
chuck marked 'Jacob's Multi-craft chuck Sheffield England U83041 1/16 -
1/2'

The Key has 10 teeth and the "pin" which goes into the holes on the side
of the chuck is 15/64" diameter .

https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/spin.../p/JAC4412803L
shows the K30B as having 10 teeth and a pilot size of 15/64" - if the
pilot refers to what I described as the pin then it looks like it would
fit my chuck.

They describe the K32 key as having 10 teeth and a 1/4" pilot, this
would definitely be too big to fit the holes on my chuck,

I'd be surprised if 1/2" chucks on UK drills of that era used different
sized keys so my guess is that you'd need the K30B key but check the
diameter of the holes.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Mike Clarke, Zip Cosmic wrote:
I have a perfectly working 1970's Wolf drill here in the UK with a Jacobs 33B
chuck and I lost the key myself. The 1/4" pilot, is definitely the one for
the holes on my 33B chuck so I am ordering a K32 key

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...b-1230358-.htm