Grant Erwin

WoofWoof wrote:

Can anyone direct me to a chart for chuck-key dimensions. I want to
order a few but the catalog lists about ten or a dozen sizes and I've no
idea what mine is. Besides, a chart would look good on the shop wall (:-).

I've done google searches till I'm blue in the face and even located a
website for Jacobs ( http://www.jacobschuck.com/ ).... possibly the most
useless site I've ever seen.

If you have a Jacobs chuck you can just look in any catalog to see what
key it takes. If you don't then even if you had a table of all the Jacobs
key sizes what good would it do?

GWE
Jim Stewart

WoofWoof wrote:
Can anyone direct me to a chart for chuck-key dimensions. I want to
order a few but the catalog lists about ten or a dozen sizes and I've no
idea what mine is. Besides, a chart would look good on the shop wall (:-).

I've done google searches till I'm blue in the face and even located a
website for Jacobs ( http://www.jacobschuck.com/ ).... possibly the most
useless site I've ever seen.

I had the same problem. The best I could
come up with was a chuck-to-chuck-key chart
in the Enco catalog. Don't know if it's
still there.
Karl Townsend

It's a Jacobs-type (not genuine Jacobs) and has no number.

I'll just co-miserate here. I bought a small drill chuck with 40 taper
holder. No numbers. Bought two of the four way keys and still didn't get a
fit. Ended up turning the closest key down so it fit the pilot hole. There
must be a dozen standard sizes and then a zillion non-standard.

Karl

Pete & sheri

I found myself in a similar situation a couple of months ago. I did all
the stuff you did, buying the 4 way key that didn't work, looking stuff
up in the catalogs, Machinery's handbook, etc.
In the end, the "Key" was simply to measure the diameter of the key
hole in the chuck. I then looked it up in (I think) the MSC catalog and
bought it. It fit.
Of course I now have enough other chuck keys so I could go into
business for myself!

Pete Stanaitis
----------------

WoofWoof wrote:

Can anyone direct me to a chart for chuck-key dimensions. I want to
order a few but the catalog lists about ten or a dozen sizes and I've no
idea what mine is. Besides, a chart would look good on the shop wall (:-).

I've done google searches till I'm blue in the face and even located a
website for Jacobs ( http://www.jacobschuck.com/ ).... possibly the most
useless site I've ever seen.

Lew Hartswick

WoofWoof wrote:
Tom wrote:

WoofWoof wrote:

Can anyone direct me to a chart for chuck-key dimensions. I want to
order a few but the catalog lists about ten or a dozen sizes and I've no
idea what mine is. Besides, a chart would look good on the shop wall
(:-).

Better to search for your chuck # to find the correct key.

It's a Jacobs-type (not genuine Jacobs) and has no number.

Measure the hole diameter.
...lew...

Jeff Wisnia

WoofWoof wrote:
Can anyone direct me to a chart for chuck-key dimensions.

snipped

Dimensions? We don't need no stinkin' dimensions!

Do what real men do..... Just stick the back end of an appropriate sized
drill bit in the chuck key pilot hole to use as a fulcrum. Then pry
against the gear teeth with a BF slot screwdriver.

Jeff (It woiks, but don't take me seriously. G)

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"

DoN. Nichols

In article . net,
Lew Hartswick wrote:
WoofWoof wrote:

[ ... ]

It's a Jacobs-type (not genuine Jacobs) and has no number.

Measure the hole diameter.

And be prepared to consider the diameter as metric as well as
fractional inch. Depending on where it was made, either is possible.

Is a country of origin stamped on the chuck somewhere? That
might give a clue as to which set of units it should be measured in.

I presume that it is not necessary to say this -- but just
in case:

You can convert an inch dimension to Metric (in mm) by
multiplying the decimal size by 25.4. Converting the other way
involves dividing by the same value, of course.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564