Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Decent make of 1/4 turn lever taps?

Hi,

I've had some taps from an online retailer (proper bathroom fittings
vendor, not some misc junk shifter) and I'm not happy with them...

I've had splines work loose (too fine), a cartridge fail and now one is
getting very creaky but the lever screw is seized so impossible to take
apart and grease.

And all are suffering from corrosion and plating failure.

Come later in the summer, I'm going to replace all 4 in the bathroom...

So any recommendations for well made and long lived ones?

Caveats:

1) Yes I like lever taps...

2) The only constraint is the thread length needs to be identical to
marry to the fixed pipework, but I assume that's fairly likely.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/Pegl...51901/p/568212

--
Theres a mighty big difference between good, sound reasons and reasons
that sound good.

Burton Hillis (William Vaughn, American columnist)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/Pegl...51901/p/568212

Thank you...

I have a spare tape (cartridge doner) so I can take that over and check
the thread length.

Another thing occurred too... I am thinking of replacing the bath taps
with a combined unit with spray hose. The original plan was to have a
full shower there, but it's not really practical - so a hose for hair
washing would be good.

I thought of that when drilling he tap holes in the bath and spaced them
according to what seemed to be a universal spacing distance...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/Pegl...51901/p/568212

Thank you...

I have a spare tape (cartridge doner) so I can take that over and check
the thread length.

Another thing occurred too... I am thinking of replacing the bath taps
with a combined unit with spray hose. The original plan was to have a
full shower there, but it's not really practical - so a hose for hair
washing would be good.

I replaced two taps with a combined unit and shower hose, and it works
well (now), but because the pressure of our gravity fed hot water is so
feeble compared to the cold water pressure, it ended up with the cold
water pushing the hot water back into the copper tank and header tank.
If you have gravity fed hot water, you will need to fit a booster pump.

All because the missus wanted continental-style taps :-)

I thought of that when drilling he tap holes in the bath and spaced them
according to what seemed to be a universal spacing distance...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/07/17 14:00, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:

https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/Pegl...51901/p/568212

Thank you...

I have a spare tape (cartridge doner) so I can take that over and check
the thread length.

Another thing occurred too... I am thinking of replacing the bath taps
with a combined unit with spray hose. The original plan was to have a
full shower there, but it's not really practical - so a hose for hair
washing would be good.

I replaced two taps with a combined unit and shower hose, and it works
well (now), but because the pressure of our gravity fed hot water is so
feeble compared to the cold water pressure, it ended up with the cold
water pushing the hot water back into the copper tank and header tank.
If you have gravity fed hot water, you will need to fit a booster pump.

All because the missus wanted continental-style taps :-)

I have an all mains system so no probs there (rather the opposite - I
had to install a pressure reduction valve to deal with the 7.5 bar
incoming!!!)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Watts
writes

https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/Pegl...Quarter-Turn-C
eramic-Disc-Lever-Pair-351901/p/568212

Thank you...

I have a spare tape (cartridge doner) so I can take that over and check
the thread length.

Another thing occurred too... I am thinking of replacing the bath taps
with a combined unit with spray hose. The original plan was to have a
full shower there, but it's not really practical - so a hose for hair
washing would be good.

I thought of that when drilling he tap holes in the bath and spaced
them according to what seemed to be a universal spacing distance...

Thread hijack alert!

For access reasons I am considering an *over side* taps and shower head
arrangement.

The most convenient place for the bath is slotted into an alcove which
may be OK for the waste but awkward for future access to the tap
connections if fitted conventionally.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim Watts
writes
Hi,

I've had some taps from an online retailer (proper bathroom fittings
vendor, not some misc junk shifter) and I'm not happy with them...

I've had splines work loose (too fine), a cartridge fail and now one is
getting very creaky but the lever screw is seized so impossible to take
apart and grease.

And all are suffering from corrosion and plating failure.

Come later in the summer, I'm going to replace all 4 in the bathroom...

So any recommendations for well made and long lived ones?

Caveats:

1) Yes I like lever taps...

2) The only constraint is the thread length needs to be identical to
marry to the fixed pipework, but I assume that's fairly likely.

Mine came from B&Q about 10 years ago and no problems. Of course they've
probably replaced the supplier now with the cheap crap they seem to
stock these days.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

All will suffer from inappropriate cleaning materials. From the head fixing
screw working loose and wearing the splines.

Preventative maintenance and careful cleaning prolongs life.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/07/17 20:40, Tim Lamb wrote:

For access reasons I am considering an *over side* taps and shower head
arrangement.

The most convenient place for the bath is slotted into an alcove which
may be OK for the waste but awkward for future access to the tap
connections if fitted conventionally.

Mine's in a alcove too.

But I have an access panel[1] in the wall at the end so access is easy
from the next room.

[1] Except I was clever and made a little storage box instead of a panel.

Which was OK, except I used MDF.

And it swelled slightly.

Jamming itself in.

So I'll have to take the Fein to that to get at the taps (and the
isolation valves for the whole bathroom).

Then I will make a ply panel, like I should have done the first time!!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/07/17 21:47, DerbyBorn wrote:
All will suffer from inappropriate cleaning materials. From the head fixing
screw working loose and wearing the splines.

Preventative maintenance and careful cleaning prolongs life.

Yep - the screw has sized in this one so I cannot even get the level off
to try a drop of grease.

Do you reckon it's worth greasing the screws and spline in the new taps?
Or is that likley to make the splines slip and wear?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/07/17 12:53, Tim Watts wrote:
Hi,

I've had some taps from an online retailer (proper bathroom fittings
vendor, not some misc junk shifter) and I'm not happy with them...

I've had splines work loose (too fine), a cartridge fail and now one
is getting very creaky but the lever screw is seized so impossible to
take apart and grease.

And all are suffering from corrosion and plating failure.

Come later in the summer, I'm going to replace all 4 in the bathroom...

https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/Pegl...51901/p/568212

Once again, thanks for suggesting Pegler - I did not suspect they made
taps! Usually associate them with functional unpretty plumbing items.

Good news - phoned them and all their bath taps have 50mm long threaded
sections which exactly matches the taps I have, so they should just drop
in onto the fixed pipework without fuss.

(I used "bath" aka 3/4 BSP for the basin too as the tap is similar
anyway but it's a whole lot better fit in the 3/4" basin holes. I tried
a 1/2 initially 8 years ago and it was impossible to get it to stay put
or be centred).

As I also drilled the bath taps on 180mm centres, I think I'll switch to
a combined shower head/filler unit at the same time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote in
:

On 18/07/17 21:47, DerbyBorn wrote:
All will suffer from inappropriate cleaning materials. From the head
fixing screw working loose and wearing the splines.

Preventative maintenance and careful cleaning prolongs life.

Yep - the screw has sized in this one so I cannot even get the level
off to try a drop of grease.

Do you reckon it's worth greasing the screws and spline in the new
taps? Or is that likley to make the splines slip and wear?

I would. Ensure the screw stays tight as well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/07/17 17:45, Tim Watts wrote:
On 18/07/17 21:47, DerbyBorn wrote:
All will suffer from inappropriate cleaning materials. From the head
fixing
screw working loose and wearing the splines.

Preventative maintenance and careful cleaning prolongs life.

Yep - the screw has sized in this one so I cannot even get the level off
to try a drop of grease.

Do you reckon it's worth greasing the screws and spline in the new taps?
Or is that likley to make the splines slip and wear?

use descaler desinged for chrome parts on all taps if you have hard water

I once soaked a whole gold plated shower mechanism for a couple of days
to get it apart.

windows of my apartment. (I live on the twenty-first floor.) "

Alan Sokal
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have Bristan taps throughout the house - good quality, and great
customer service
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/07/17 19:04, rick wrote:

I have Bristan taps throughout the house - good quality, and great
customer service

Cheers!

I have already ordered a pair of Francis Pegler lever taps to try (10
year warranty).

lever type taps constant dripping. Mick IOW UK diy 14 February 26th 15 09:50 AM
bath taps vs. basin taps Stephen[_12_] UK diy 10 January 12th 11 11:21 PM
0-80 Thread forming taps vs. Cutting taps Bud Metalworking 23 December 9th 09 02:37 PM
Full turn v 3/4 turn taps mo UK diy 9 November 3rd 08 02:52 AM
The Reason Hot Taps Are On The Left And Cold Taps Are On The Right ARWadsworth UK diy 29 November 1st 07 10:53 AM