Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The Reason Hot Taps Are On The Left And Cold Taps Are On The Right

It is so when you wake up on a Sunday morning in the wrong house with a
splitting headache and you stagger into the bathroom for a nice cold drink
of water you do not burn your mouth because the taps are the wrong way
around.

Or is there another reason why hot is usually on the left?

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Or is there another reason why hot is usually on the left?

Adam

The explanation I had from my grandfather some 50 years ago was:

a. people used to have just one tap - for cold water - which was on
the right as most people are right-handed;
b. when this new-fangled running hot water came along (from, for
example, the gas geyser) the tap for that was added to the left; and
c. so a convention (of sorts) was born.

Should I put this on Wikipedia so it must be true?

By the way, in our house they are the other way around. On the other
hand, as we do not have any water tanks in the loft you could at least
be confident of not drinking an infusion of drowned rat.

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
.uk...
It is so when you wake up on a Sunday morning in the wrong house with a
splitting headache and you stagger into the bathroom for a nice cold drink
of water you do not burn your mouth because the taps are the wrong way
around.

Or is there another reason why hot is usually on the left?

Adam

Maybe it's because when we say 'hot and cold' , hot is left and cold is
right?

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark" wrote in message

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
.uk...
It is so when you wake up on a Sunday morning in the wrong house with a
splitting headache and you stagger into the bathroom for a nice cold
drink of water you do not burn your mouth because the taps are the wrong
way around.

Or is there another reason why hot is usually on the left?

Adam

Maybe it's because when we say 'hot and cold' , hot is left and cold is
right?

mark

Of course, in Spain "C" stands for calor, hot.
--
Graham

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

On 28/10/2007 11:14 Robin wrote:

By the way, in our house they are the other way around.

And when we moved into our house they varied from room to room!

Now that I've rebuilt most of the rooms they are all consistent: hot,
left; cold right.

If I ever come across the plumber (and his mate the joiner, not
forgetting also his mate the plasterer) who worked on this place when it
was built...

Some blame also on the original owners who accepted the pipes that bang
when you turn them off, doorways that are miles out of square and walls
that have 2" of plaster at the top and 0.5" at the bottom to create a
truly original 'Leaning Tower of Pisa' effect on a chimney breast!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-10-28 18:59:39 +0000, F said:

On 28/10/2007 11:14 Robin wrote:

By the way, in our house they are the other way around.

And when we moved into our house they varied from room to room!

Now that I've rebuilt most of the rooms they are all consistent: hot,
left; cold right.

If I ever come across the plumber (and his mate the joiner, not
forgetting also his mate the plasterer) who worked on this place when
it was built...

You're on a hiding to nothing there.

Everybody in the construction industry has the name of "mate". I am
not sure whether they are christened with it or change it by deed poll.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:
You're on a hiding to nothing there.

Everybody in the construction industry has the name of "mate". I am
not sure whether they are christened with it or change it by deed poll.

I call everyone "mate" especially when apologising. That gets me into
further problems when after the sorry event I discover the victim is
female...

OK .... who is going to register a business as "The{District}HandyMate" ?

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:
And when we moved into our house they varied from room to room!

My office has 3 "kitchenettes" for making tea, coffee, etc.

One of them has the tap on the other side to the other two.

Just to prove the plumber's abilities they all have different taps,
oriented in different directions, and in the case of the one with the
long easy-use levers you can't turn the taps on full because the levers
hit the wall.

But he did a *far* better job than the aircon installers...

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Adrian C
scribeth thus
Andy Hall wrote:
You're on a hiding to nothing there.

Everybody in the construction industry has the name of "mate". I am
not sure whether they are christened with it or change it by deed poll.

I call everyone "mate" especially when apologising. That gets me into
further problems when after the sorry event I discover the victim is
female...

"Mates" an OK term, what does sound offensive is "Pal"..

Even when spoken from someone up north!..

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
.uk...
It is so when you wake up on a Sunday morning in the wrong house with a
splitting headache and you stagger into the bathroom for a nice cold drink
of water you do not burn your mouth because the taps are the wrong way
around.

Or is there another reason why hot is usually on the left?

Adam

That depends what way you're looking at the taps?

Could of sworn the hot is usually on the right. :-P

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/10/2007 09:38, George wrote:

Or is there another reason why hot is usually on the left?

That depends what way you're looking at the taps?

Fallen asleep in the bath again? Best to place feet at the end with the taps
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Robin" wrote in message
. uk...

Or is there another reason why hot is usually on the left?

Adam

The explanation I had from my grandfather some 50 years ago was:

a. people used to have just one tap - for cold water - which was on
the right as most people are right-handed;

But the tap was in the center of the sink 50 years ago,so that rules that
out.

b. when this new-fangled running hot water came along (from, for
example, the gas geyser) the tap for that was added to the left; and
c. so a convention (of sorts) was born.

Should I put this on Wikipedia so it must be true?

No.

By the way, in our house they are the other way around. On the other
hand, as we do not have any water tanks in the loft you could at least
be confident of not drinking an infusion of drowned rat.

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
It is so when you wake up on a Sunday morning in the wrong house with a
splitting headache and you stagger into the bathroom for a nice cold drink
of water you do not burn your mouth because the taps are the wrong way
around.

Or is there another reason why hot is usually on the left?

Adam

IIRC, US regs requires hot on the left. It may be possible to dig out
the original reason for this ...
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-10-29 15:30:51 +0000, sm_jamieson said:

ARWadsworth wrote:
It is so when you wake up on a Sunday morning in the wrong house with a
splitting headache and you stagger into the bathroom for a nice cold drink
of water you do not burn your mouth because the taps are the wrong way
around.

Or is there another reason why hot is usually on the left?

Adam

IIRC, US regs requires hot on the left. It may be possible to dig out
the original reason for this ...
Simon.

It'll be in an amendment to the constitution.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...
On 29 Oct,
"George" wrote:

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
.uk...

Or is there another reason why hot is usually on the left?

Adam

That depends what way you're looking at the taps?

Could of sworn the hot is usually on the right. :-P

Isn't it so the hot has the shortest pipe run? I'm sure it used to be.

That will depend upon where your boiler or hot water tank is located. Might
save a few cm

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 16:22:22 +0000, Andy Hall wrote:

snip
... Or is there another reason why hot is usually on the left?
... Adam

snip/

Perhaps it would help people with restricted eyesight knowing which
tap is which.

Mike P
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mike P
writes
On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 16:22:22 +0000, Andy Hall wrote:

snip
.. Or is there another reason why hot is usually on the left?
..
.. Adam

snip/

Perhaps it would help people with restricted eyesight knowing which
tap is which.

good use for Braille then

--
Si
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Si" $3o&m wrote in message
In message , Mike P
writes
On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 16:22:22 +0000, Andy Hall wrote:

snip
.. Or is there another reason why hot is usually on the left?
..
.. Adam

snip/

Perhaps it would help people with restricted eyesight knowing which
tap is which.

good use for Braille then

--
Si

Or learning not to swear.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Oct, 10:27, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
It is so when you wake up on a Sunday morning in the wrong house with a
splitting headache and you stagger into the bathroom for a nice cold drink
of water you do not burn your mouth because the taps are the wrong way
around.

Or is there another reason why hot is usually on the left?

Adam

I always thought that the hot tap was nearest the wall, i.e. furthest
away from the small child to avoid scalding. Most houses I've had were
plumbed like that.

Jonathan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-10-29 15:30:51 +0000, sm_jamieson said:

ARWadsworth wrote:
It is so when you wake up on a Sunday morning in the wrong house with a
splitting headache and you stagger into the bathroom for a nice cold drink
of water you do not burn your mouth because the taps are the wrong way
around.

Or is there another reason why hot is usually on the left?

Adam

IIRC, US regs requires hot on the left. It may be possible to dig out
the original reason for this ...
Simon.

It'll be in an amendment to the constitution.

The amendment might refer to 'red blooded americans' and 'cold hearted
commies'

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur 51 wrote:

The amendment might refer to 'red blooded americans' and 'cold hearted
commies'

Nah. 'Commies' are red, and 'patriotic Americans' are true blue......
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-10-30 17:11:52 +0000, S Viemeister said:

Arthur 51 wrote:

The amendment might refer to 'red blooded americans' and 'cold hearted
commies'

Nah. 'Commies' are red, and 'patriotic Americans' are true blue......

I always get confused by that. At election times the maps always seem
to show blue around the edges and red in the middle. However,
somehow that doesn't seem to match the political leanings

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-10-30 17:11:52 +0000, S Viemeister said:

Arthur 51 wrote:

The amendment might refer to 'red blooded americans' and 'cold hearted
commies'

Nah. 'Commies' are red, and 'patriotic Americans' are true blue......

I always get confused by that. At election times the maps always seem
to show blue around the edges and red in the middle. However,
somehow that doesn't seem to match the political leanings

For some reason, the Democrats are associated with blue, and the
Republicans with red. The thing to remember is that the Democrats and
Conservatives are at about the same point on the political spectrum -
it's just that the same cannot be said of their respective opponennts!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Bonner wrote:

For some reason, the Democrats are associated with blue, and the
Republicans with red. The thing to remember is that the Democrats and
Conservatives are at about the same point on the political spectrum -
it's just that the same cannot be said of their respective opponennts!

I'm surprised you should say that.
"New Labour" and the Democrat party seem to me more or less interchangeable.
But I don't see David Cameron singing at a Baptist convention.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 31, 1:34 pm, Timothy Murphy
wrote:
Martin Bonner wrote:
For some reason, the Democrats are associated with blue, and the
Republicans with red. The thing to remember is that the Democrats and
Conservatives are at about the same point on the political spectrum -
it's just that the same cannot be said of their respective opponennts!

I'm surprised you should say that.
"New Labour" and the Democrat party seem to me more or less interchangeable.

and how does that conflict with what I said?

But I don't see David Cameron singing at a Baptist convention.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-10-30 17:11:52 +0000, S Viemeister said:

Arthur 51 wrote:

The amendment might refer to 'red blooded americans' and 'cold hearted
commies'

Nah. 'Commies' are red, and 'patriotic Americans' are true blue......

I always get confused by that. At election times the maps always seem
to show blue around the edges and red in the middle. However,
somehow that doesn't seem to match the political leanings

For some reason, the Democrats are associated with blue, and the
Republicans with red. The thing to remember is that the Democrats and
Conservatives are at about the same point on the political spectrum -
it's just that the same cannot be said of their respective opponennts!

A sad reflection. A generation ago, the Conservatives and Republicans
were quite closely aligned, as were their respective leaders. It was
very clear that one was getting what it said on the tin, whether one
liked that or not.
These days, both the contents and the packaging are all over the place.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-10-30 17:11:52 +0000, S Viemeister said:

Arthur 51 wrote:

[...]

That's because both major parties are fighting for the same ground. And as for
the Liberals...

That's just fighting for a ground that doesn't exist, so has no consequence.