phigham

Default No Indicator of Which is Cold and Hot Taps

Hi

When we moved into our house we found that (for some reason best known
to themselves) the vendor had removed the (ceramic ?) part of the
bathroom taps that say "Hot" and "Cold". The taps are "edwardian" in
style. I'd like to get hold of replacements. Can anyone guide me as to
what these parts are called (indexes springs to mind..) and where I
might get hold of some ?

Thanks

Paul
Mike Tomlinson

In article , phigham
writes

The taps are "edwardian" in
style. I'd like to get hold of replacements. Can anyone guide me as to
what these parts are called (indexes springs to mind..) and where I
might get hold of some ?

Nick 'em from the display models on show at your local DIY shed?

--
A. Top posters.

Ed Sirett

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 22:36:25 +0000, geoff wrote:

In message ,
harrogate writes

"Stuart" wrote in message
. ..
On 22 Nov 2003 03:44:07 -0800, (phigham) wrote:

In the UK hot should always be on the left.

That's a 'should' not an 'is'.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at
www.diyfaq.org.uk

BillR

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
In article , phigham
writes

The taps are "edwardian" in
style. I'd like to get hold of replacements. Can anyone guide me as
to what these parts are called (indexes springs to mind..) and where
I might get hold of some ?

Nick 'em from the display models on show at your local DIY shed?

I like that idea :-)

phigham

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
In the UK hot should always be on the left.

That's a 'should' not an 'is'.

Yes, the bathroom hot taps are on the right (and on the left in the
kitchen). When the house was refurbed by the previous owner, they
moved in mysterious ways...like putting the mains cold feed to the the
bathroom sink and nicking the tap indeces (that's the word I was
searching for). Now, where can I get these ?

Paul
Zymurgy

(phigham) wrote
"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
In the UK hot should always be on the left.

That's a 'should' not an 'is'.

Yes, the bathroom hot taps are on the right (and on the left in the kitchen).

Hmm,

The one i've just plumbed is on the left, but more by good luck than
good judgement ;-)

Where did this convention originate ?

P.
Andrew

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message on.co.uk...
On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 22:36:25 +0000, geoff wrote:

In message ,
harrogate writes

"Stuart" wrote in message
. ..
On 22 Nov 2003 03:44:07 -0800, (phigham) wrote:

In the UK hot should always be on the left.

That's a 'should' not an 'is'.

Why is it even 'should'? I would have said "is often on the left".

geoff

In message , Andy Hall
writes

In the case of bathroom plumbing, my theory is that since the majority
of the population are right handed, they will grab first for the right
hand tap if they are not paying attention. With the hot on the left,
they will not scald themselves.

If you believe that, you'll believe anything :-)

Worse than my reply.

But my argument was better
if you're holding something in your right hand, it leaves the left free
to turn on the cold tap
--
geoff
Andy Hall

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 21:42:45 +0000, geoff wrote:

In message , Andy Hall
writes

In the case of bathroom plumbing, my theory is that since the majority
of the population are right handed, they will grab first for the right
hand tap if they are not paying attention. With the hot on the left,
they will not scald themselves.

If you believe that, you'll believe anything :-)

Worse than my reply.

But my argument was better
if you're holding something in your right hand, it leaves the left free
to turn on the cold tap

Hmmmm.... Maybe that's what the Romans were doing, and it was that
that led to their demise.......

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Ed Sirett

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 20:32:58 +0000, Andy Hall wrote:

On 24 Nov 2003 08:22:50 -0800, (Zymurgy)
wrote:

(phigham) wrote
"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
In the UK hot should always be on the left.

That's a 'should' not an 'is'.

Yes, the bathroom hot taps are on the right (and on the left in the kitchen).

Hmm,

The one i've just plumbed is on the left, but more by good luck than
good judgement ;-)

Where did this convention originate ?

P.

Probably with the Romans who had plumbing long before Sir Twyford
Adamant and Lord Vitreous of China were on the scene.

The theory was, like driving on the left, that the right hand would
always be available for the sword.

In the case of bathroom plumbing, my theory is that since the majority
of the population are right handed, they will grab first for the right
hand tap if they are not paying attention. With the hot on the left,
they will not scald themselves.

If you believe that, you'll believe anything :-)

I think there may be more truth in that. What I heard was that when there
were only cold taps they were on the right for the reason you stated so
the hot went on the left when H&C became the standard.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at
www.diyfaq.org.uk

geoff

In message , Andy Hall
writes
On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 21:42:45 +0000, geoff wrote:

In message , Andy Hall
writes

In the case of bathroom plumbing, my theory is that since the majority
of the population are right handed, they will grab first for the right
hand tap if they are not paying attention. With the hot on the left,
they will not scald themselves.

If you believe that, you'll believe anything :-)

Worse than my reply.

But my argument was better
if you're holding something in your right hand, it leaves the left free
to turn on the cold tap

Hmmmm.... Maybe that's what the Romans were doing, and it was that
that led to their demise.......

I really can't think what you're talking about
--
geoff
Christian McArdle

they moved in mysterious ways...like putting the mains cold
feed to the the bathroom sink

You don't like having drinking water from the tap when brushing your teeth
then? You prefer water from a grotty tank with dead rats floating within?

All my taps are direct from the mains, unstored and drinkable, even the hot
taps.

Christian.

Christian McArdle

I am very irritated by this 'standard practice' particularly
in the kitchen, where I pick up the kettle in my right hand
and have to cross my left over it to fill it

You could always pick up the kettle with your left hand. That way your right
hand to free to manipulate the taps and the lid, which requires greater
dexterity.

Christian.

geoff

In message , Christian
McArdle writes
they moved in mysterious ways...like putting the mains cold
feed to the the bathroom sink

You don't like having drinking water from the tap when brushing your teeth
then? You prefer water from a grotty tank with dead rats floating within?

All my taps are direct from the mains, unstored and drinkable, even the hot
taps.

Christian.

I thought that the regs said that any tap from which you might drink had
to be fed directly from the mains
--
geoff
geoff

In message , Christian
McArdle writes
I am very irritated by this 'standard practice' particularly
in the kitchen, where I pick up the kettle in my right hand
and have to cross my left over it to fill it

You could always pick up the kettle with your left hand.

Why ? I am right handed, I naturally pick up a kettle / toothbrush /
whatever with my right hand

That way your right
hand to free to manipulate the taps and the lid, which requires greater
dexterity.

Hardly precision engineering - don't talk a load of wank

--
geoff
phigham

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message .net...
they moved in mysterious ways...like putting the mains cold
feed to the the bathroom sink

You don't like having drinking water from the tap when brushing your teeth
then? You prefer water from a grotty tank with dead rats floating within?

All my taps are direct from the mains, unstored and drinkable, even the hot
taps.

Christian.

Good point about the rats...

Perhaps I should have added

"....whilst feeding the kitchen cold tap from the tank..."
Dave Liquorice

On 8 Dec 2003 02:54:17 -0800, phigham wrote:

You prefer water from a grotty tank with dead rats floating within?

I wish I'd taken some pics of the main tanks here before I cleaned
them out and fitted proper covers. Moderately random collection of
drowned wood lice, beetles, centipedes and one mouse combined with a
good layer of brick dust/mortar etc.

We have never had any problems that could even be remotely linked to
"poor water".

All my taps are direct from the mains, unstored and drinkable, even
the hot taps.

And when there is a major mains failure and your water is off for
maybe 24hrs? How do you make a cup of tea or, prehaps more important,
flush the loo. Using bottle water for that seems a tad excessive,
always assuming the local supermarket had any left, 'cause every one
else will have been rushing out to buy whatever water they can...

Ours was scheduled to be off for 6hrs last month as they messed about
with the main. In the end it was nearer 24hrs we used about half of
our stored supply. We didn't use the w/mc and the kids shared their
bath water but other than that we didn't control our water useage.

I would not be happy living in a place without stored water.

Good point about the rats...

I wouldn't worry that much about it. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 23:32:21 +0000, "Ed Sirett"
wrote:

I can't think where I found out that it was a 'should' rather than an
'is', but I beleive it to be so, but welcome to be corrected.

I was told it was so that blind people would know which was which. I
don't know how they are supposed to know if it has been plumbed
incorrectly though....

Abdullah Eyles

not completely on-thread (like most of my posts), but maybe a laugh
for you all

I went to stay in a four-star (it was when it was built) hotel in the
Thrace region of Turkey.

As I was grubby after a hard days work, I was pleased to see that hot
water was available for a bath - in fact too hot to touch...

So I opened the cold tap, lo and behold, that was running scaldingly
hot as well...

Had to leave the full bath about an hour to cool down before I could
get in!!!