Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default lever type taps constant dripping.

Hi all, all the taps were changed in my Housing Association flat from
the normal screw open type to lever type, which are easier to use.

But the tap I use most, the cold water one in the kitchen is
constantly dripping, they have fitted new tops to it several times
now.

Is this normal these days with water meters ?
Mick.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2015 17:17, Mick IOW wrote:
Hi all, all the taps were changed in my Housing Association flat from
the normal screw open type to lever type, which are easier to use.

But the tap I use most, the cold water one in the kitchen is
constantly dripping, they have fitted new tops to it several times
now.

Is this normal these days with water meters ?
Mick.

Quarter turn taps have ceramic cartridges (instead of rubber washers)
which are prone to wear & limescale. Classic example of design over
practicality.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 25/02/2015 17:17, Mick IOW wrote:
Hi all, all the taps were changed in my Housing Association flat from
the normal screw open type to lever type, which are easier to use.

But the tap I use most, the cold water one in the kitchen is
constantly dripping, they have fitted new tops to it several times
now.

Is this normal these days with water meters ?
Mick.

Quarter turn taps have ceramic cartridges (instead of rubber washers)
which are prone to wear & limescale. Classic example of design over
practicality.

I've got one here in the kitchen. Many years old and never had a problem
with it. Hard water area too.

--
*Why can't women put on mascara with their mouth closed?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/15 17:17, Mick IOW wrote:
Hi all, all the taps were changed in my Housing Association flat from
the normal screw open type to lever type, which are easier to use.

But the tap I use most, the cold water one in the kitchen is
constantly dripping, they have fitted new tops to it several times
now.

Is this normal these days with water meters ?
Mick.

I have one out of 6 1/4 turn taps that weepy - it lets by perhaps an egg
cup full of water in a day. We get a lot of broken pipes in the village
with resultant crud coming out the taps and I think it got some grit in
it once and scratched the ceramic.

Once I have better access behind it (it's the bath one) I'll take it off
and fix it (cartridge was installed by Geoff Capes, I am not risking
taking a pole to it until I can get behind it in case it twists and
causes the main tape connector to leak).

However, if you've change the cartridge (I assume you meant that) it
should not be leaking.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2015 17:17, Mick IOW wrote:
Hi all, all the taps were changed in my Housing Association flat from
the normal screw open type to lever type, which are easier to use.

But the tap I use most, the cold water one in the kitchen is
constantly dripping, they have fitted new tops to it several times
now.

Is this normal these days with water meters ?
Mick.

Quarter turn taps have ceramic cartridges (instead of rubber washers)
which are prone to wear & limescale. Classic example of design over
practicality.

True - but I do like them - you can see at a glance they are properly
off and you don't get people trying to screw them down hard.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 Feb 2015 18:29:33 +0000, Tim Watts
wrote:

[...]

Thank you everybody for your help.

I have not tried to do anything with them as when they were put in, I
was told there were no washers to change, and to call the Housing Ass
repairman with any problems.
This one is dripping a pint an hour.
So I will call them again.

I did not want to call them if dripping was the norm!
Thanks,
Mick.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/15 20:41, Mick IOW wrote:

I have not tried to do anything with them as when they were put in, I
was told there were no washers to change, and to call the Housing Ass
repairman with any problems.
This one is dripping a pint an hour.
So I will call them again.

A pint an hour is unacceptable in anyone's books - they need to change
the cartridge or the whole tap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 25/02/2015 17:17, Mick IOW wrote:
Hi all, all the taps were changed in my Housing Association flat from
the normal screw open type to lever type, which are easier to use.

But the tap I use most, the cold water one in the kitchen is
constantly dripping, they have fitted new tops to it several times
now.

Is this normal these days with water meters ?
Mick.

Quarter turn taps have ceramic cartridges (instead of rubber washers)
which are prone to wear & limescale. Classic example of design over
practicality.

My 1/4 turn taps use rubber washers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2015 18:30, Tim Watts wrote:
On 25/02/2015 17:17, Mick IOW wrote:
Hi all, all the taps were changed in my Housing Association flat from
the normal screw open type to lever type, which are easier to use.

But the tap I use most, the cold water one in the kitchen is
constantly dripping, they have fitted new tops to it several times
now.

Is this normal these days with water meters ?
Mick.

Quarter turn taps have ceramic cartridges (instead of rubber washers)
which are prone to wear & limescale. Classic example of design over
practicality.

True - but I do like them - you can see at a glance they are properly
off and you don't get people trying to screw them down hard.

Limescale isn't the problem with the ceramic types, they wear when tiny
bits of grit get trapped in them from the water supply. All our taps are
the ceramic types and are now 11 years old and don't drip.
Ours is a very hard water area.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mick IOW wrote in
:

Hi all, all the taps were changed in my Housing Association flat from
the normal screw open type to lever type, which are easier to use.

But the tap I use most, the cold water one in the kitchen is
constantly dripping, they have fitted new tops to it several times
now.

Is this normal these days with water meters ?
Mick.

People are jumping to conclusions about it being a ceramic cartridge.
Pehaps we should ask for confimation. Some quarter turn taps have a coarse
thread and a conventional rubber washer. Some people use too much pressure
when turning them off and ruin the washer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

And maybe the threads have been stripped and need regrinding. My plumber did that after I had changed the washer 3 times...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2015 20:53, Tim Watts wrote:
On 25/02/15 20:41, Mick IOW wrote:

I have not tried to do anything with them as when they were put in, I
was told there were no washers to change, and to call the Housing Ass
repairman with any problems.
This one is dripping a pint an hour.
So I will call them again.

A pint an hour is unacceptable in anyone's books - they need to change
the cartridge or the whole tap.

Probably. However, when conventional innards are replace by a ceramic
cartridge, the rubber washer at the bottom of the cartridge has to seal
on the original tap seat when the cartridge is screwed in. The thought
occurs to me that if the seat is worn, the cartridge's rubber washer may
not seal properly - so the tap will drip even if the cartridge itself is
perfectly ok. Re-cutting the seat may fix this.

This is maybe something to consider.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/15 22:55, Roger Mills wrote:
On 25/02/2015 20:53, Tim Watts wrote:
On 25/02/15 20:41, Mick IOW wrote:

I have not tried to do anything with them as when they were put in, I
was told there were no washers to change, and to call the Housing Ass
repairman with any problems.
This one is dripping a pint an hour.
So I will call them again.

A pint an hour is unacceptable in anyone's books - they need to change
the cartridge or the whole tap.

Probably. However, when conventional innards are replace by a ceramic
cartridge, the rubber washer at the bottom of the cartridge has to seal
on the original tap seat when the cartridge is screwed in. The thought
occurs to me that if the seat is worn, the cartridge's rubber washer may
not seal properly - so the tap will drip even if the cartridge itself is
perfectly ok. Re-cutting the seat may fix this.

This is maybe something to consider.

I had not considered conversions...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 25/02/2015 17:17, Mick IOW wrote:
Hi all, all the taps were changed in my Housing Association flat from
the normal screw open type to lever type, which are easier to use.

But the tap I use most, the cold water one in the kitchen is
constantly dripping, they have fitted new tops to it several times
now.

Is this normal these days with water meters ?
Mick.

Quarter turn taps have ceramic cartridges (instead of rubber washers)
which are prone to wear & limescale. Classic example of design over
practicality.

I've got one here in the kitchen. Many years old and never had a problem
with it. Hard water area too.

I change loads of cartridges for people.

Tap drips;
Old technology; replace washer or head gear. Minimal cost, minimal labour.
New technology; Leave customer without water while I drive to plumbers
merchant, pay up to £30 for set of cartridges, drive back, fit cartridges.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway Handyman
writes
In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

Well, it's a bit of a swings and roundabout thing really I think.

On the whole I think I prefer ceramic ones, - taps in the old bathroom
Ideal Standard ceramic ones - at least 20 years old and were till
working fine when we decommissioned it very hard water area)

But yes the downside is the more expensive repair if necessary, but then
taps with washers seem to need more regular maintenance

--
Chris French