Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dripping ceramic disc taps.

My son has a standard kitchen tap with separate hot and cold valves on
either side of the tap. I took a look at it today because it has developed a
steady drip.

The valves are ceramic disc with a quarter turn to full off/full on.

I removed each 'cartridge' and took it apart. I could not see any problem at
all with the ceramic discs they did not appear to be scratched or damaged,
nor was there any grit present. The various seals were in good condition.

After cleaning and rinsing all components, I put them all back together,
replaced them in the tap and............. drip drip drip!

Anyone any suggestions?

--
Kev

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Ret.
writes
My son has a standard kitchen tap with separate hot and cold valves on
either side of the tap. I took a look at it today because it has
developed a steady drip.

The valves are ceramic disc with a quarter turn to full off/full on.

I removed each 'cartridge' and took it apart. I could not see any
problem at all with the ceramic discs they did not appear to be
scratched or damaged, nor was there any grit present. The various seals
were in good condition.

After cleaning and rinsing all components, I put them all back
together, replaced them in the tap and............. drip drip drip!

Anyone any suggestions?

Yes.

I had trouble with a mixer tap, like this:
http://www.google.co.uk/products/cat...ceramic&hl=en&
prmd=ivns&resnum=2&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&um=1&ie= UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=5156
296188300295797&sa=X&ei=AhrdTZajF9Kr8AOygLEB&ved=0 CGsQ8gIwAA&biw=1280&bih
=835#

Do you know which insert is the culprit? Hot or cold? If you can, try
and work out which it is. [Possibly turn off the incoming cold water,
turn cold tap on to drain residual water in pipes, then turn cold tap
off?]

#1: Remove and immerse the insert(s) in Killrock K for (say) half an
hour (occasionally rotating the 'works'. This will get rid of any scale
which is preventing a perfect seal.
#2: Buy replacement inserts (if you can find correct type!).

My tap responded to treatment for a few months, but started to drip
again. Fortunately, Homebase (where I had originally bought the tap) had
exactly the right replacement inserts - although I did have to file
about 3mm off the end of the splined spindle.
--
Ian

#1: Remove and immerse the insert(s) in Killrock K for (say) half an hour
#2: Buy replacement inserts (if you can find correct type!).

My tap responded to treatment for a few months, but started to drip again.
Fortunately, Homebase (where I had originally bought the tap) had exactly the
right replacement inserts - although I did have to file about 3mm off the end
of the splined spindle.

We have now reverted back to normal washers, but the above was the
cause/fix for ours when it dripped. I fixed then by simply scratching
the disk free of scale with a thumb nail.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

cold tap off?] #1: Remove and immerse the insert(s) in Killrock K for
(say) half an
#2: Buy replacement inserts (if you can find correct type!).

My tap responded to treatment for a few months, but started to drip
again. Fortunately, Homebase (where I had originally bought the tap)
had exactly the right replacement inserts - although I did have to
file about 3mm off the end of the splined spindle.

We have now reverted back to normal washers, but the above was the
cause/fix for ours when it dripped. I fixed then by simply scratching
the disk free of scale with a thumb nail.

So far as I can see, there is no scale present at all. We live in mid
Cheshire which is a very soft water area. I'm really baffled as to why the
'drip' is occurring.

--
Kev

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ret." wrote:
My son has a standard kitchen tap with separate hot and cold valves on
either side of the tap. I took a look at it today because it has developed
a steady drip.

The valves are ceramic disc with a quarter turn to full off/full on.

I removed each 'cartridge' and took it apart. I could not see any problem
at all with the ceramic discs they did not appear to be scratched or
damaged, nor was there any grit present. The various seals were in good
condition.

After cleaning and rinsing all components, I put them all back together,
replaced them in the tap and............. drip drip drip!

Anyone any suggestions?

--
Kev

It is possible that the ceramic valves have worn out. I have had the same
problem, fortunately I had kept the paperwork from when I installed the tap
so was able to order replacement ceramic valves from the manufacturer. If
you don't know the tap model and the manufacturer then you are stuffed
because there is no such thing as standard replacement ceramic valves. The
only solution is to replace the tap. If your son lives in a hard water area
it might be worth soaking the valves in vinegar in case lime scale is the
culprit, but that is probably clutching at straws.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Ret.
writes
[...]

OK - the tap in question is more like this:

http://www.taps.co.uk/contemporary-c...rm-sink-mixer/

but I suspect the 'cartridges' will be similar.

Do you know which insert is the culprit? Hot or cold? If you can, try
and work out which it is. [Possibly turn off the incoming cold water,
turn cold tap on to drain residual water in pipes, then turn cold tap
off?]

Bit of a problem because my son has a combi - so turning off the water turns
off both hot and cold! I have no idea which cartridge is causing the drip.

#1: Remove and immerse the insert(s) in Killrock K for (say) half an
hour (occasionally rotating the 'works'. This will get rid of any
scale which is preventing a perfect seal.

I can certainly try this - although we live in a very soft water area (mid
Cheshire) and, so far as I can see, there is no scale present on either of
the two discs in either of the cartridges. I have completely dissassembled
both cartridges and all four ceramic disks appear perfect to the eye.

#2: Buy replacement inserts (if you can find correct type!).

I think this is what we will have to do - although it is annoying when you
cannot see what is causing the problem!

My tap responded to treatment for a few months, but started to drip
again. Fortunately, Homebase (where I had originally bought the tap)
had exactly the right replacement inserts - although I did have to
file about 3mm off the end of the splined spindle.

OK. I have B&Q and Plumbworld on the doorstep, and Homebase within 20 minute
drive - so this will be the next step I think.

--
Kev

Posted to uk.d-i-y

#2: Buy replacement inserts (if you can find correct type!).

I think this is what we will have to do - although it is annoying when you
cannot see what is causing the problem!

I wonder if the discs have worn dished or domed. Not that the outcome
is changed much either way.

If you have the disks out you could try lapping them on a flat surface
(Eg. A piece of glass) with jewellers rouge or toothpaste even.

OK. I have B&Q and Plumbworld on the doorstep, and Homebase within 20 minute
drive - so this will be the next step I think.

Derek G
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DIY wrote:
"Ret." wrote:
My son has a standard kitchen tap with separate hot and cold valves
on either side of the tap. I took a look at it today because it has
developed a steady drip.

The valves are ceramic disc with a quarter turn to full off/full on.

I removed each 'cartridge' and took it apart. I could not see any
problem at all with the ceramic discs they did not appear to be
scratched or damaged, nor was there any grit present. The various
seals were in good condition.

After cleaning and rinsing all components, I put them all back
together, replaced them in the tap and............. drip drip drip!

Anyone any suggestions?

--
Kev

It is possible that the ceramic valves have worn out.

If my memory serves me correctly, the tap is no more than 6 or 7 years old -
so the discs shouldn't have worn out in that time.

I have had the
same problem, fortunately I had kept the paperwork from when I
installed the tap so was able to order replacement ceramic valves
from the manufacturer. If you don't know the tap model and the
manufacturer then you are stuffed because there is no such thing as
standard replacement ceramic valves. The only solution is to replace
the tap. If your son lives in a hard water area it might be worth
soaking the valves in vinegar in case lime scale is the culprit, but
that is probably clutching at straws.

No hard water. I'll try and get replacement cartridges - but a new tap may
be the only effective solution.

--
Kev

Posted to uk.d-i-y

#2: Buy replacement inserts (if you can find correct type!).

I think this is what we will have to do - although it is annoying
when you cannot see what is causing the problem!

I wonder if the discs have worn dished or domed. Not that the outcome
is changed much either way.

If you have the disks out you could try lapping them on a flat surface
(Eg. A piece of glass) with jewellers rouge or toothpaste even.

Good idea. I'll give that a try first.

--
Kev
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 May 2011 17:38:54 +0100, DIY wrote:

If you don't know the tap model and the manufacturer then you are
stuffed because there is no such thing as standard replacement ceramic
valves.

Maybe I was lucky when I need to replace the ceramic insert in our 20
(at the time) year old kitchen mixer tap... The only thing to be
aware of is the "hand", they are available as clockwise = on or
clockwise = off.

Don't think I've ever seen a ceramic insert in the likes of B&Q,
Homebase etc. I got mine froma builders/plumbers merchant. They had a
box of them on the counter.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Ret.
writes

So far as I can see, there is no scale present at all. We live in mid
Cheshire which is a very soft water area. I'm really baffled as to why
the 'drip' is occurring.

Noted. I certainly know that the water in the Manchester area doesn't
cause any scale, so it's unlikely that that is your problem. You could
try the Kilrock treatment, but it might be easier to replace the
insert(s) (if you can).

Don't forget that, while the H & C inserts screw in the same ('normal')
way, they turn in opposing directions. [NB: I think we established that,
otherwise, the construction is the same and, if you prefer the handles
to open in the opposite direction, you can simply swap the inserts
over.]

I live in the Chiltern water area, and the difference is (almost
literally) chalk and cheese. The chalky water plays havoc with plumbing
- and especially taps.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Ret.
writes

#2: Buy replacement inserts (if you can find correct type!).
I think this is what we will have to do - although it is annoying
when you cannot see what is causing the problem!

I wonder if the discs have worn dished or domed. Not that the
outcome
is changed much either way.
If you have the disks out you could try lapping them on a flat
surface
(Eg. A piece of glass) with jewellers rouge or toothpaste even.

Good idea. I'll give that a try first.

My inserts didn't have discs. The ceramic valve part was rather similar
to a revolving door, and the seals were rubber (coded red for hot, and
blue for cold, to indicate the direction of opening).
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ret. :
My son has a standard kitchen tap with separate hot and cold valves on
either side of the tap. I took a look at it today because it has
developed a steady drip.

The valves are ceramic disc with a quarter turn to full off/full on.

I removed each 'cartridge' and took it apart. I could not see any
problem at all with the ceramic discs they did not appear to be
scratched or damaged, nor was there any grit present. The various seals
were in good condition.

After cleaning and rinsing all components, I put them all back
together, replaced them in the tap and............. drip drip drip!

Anyone any suggestions?

We also live in a very soft water area, where scale simply doesn't
exist, and had the same problem after 14 years. The manufacturer
supplied a replacement cartridge at a reasonable price. The only problem
was that the new cartridge felt a lot stiffer than the old one, which
wasn't a serious problem but it was an irritation.

So I'd recommend getting two new cartridges to make sure they both need
the same operating force. Also if one has reached the end of its life,
the other might be getting near. And it saves you having to work out
which one is dripping. :-)

--
Mike Barnes

#2: Buy replacement inserts (if you can find correct type!).

My tap responded to treatment for a few months, but started to drip
again. Fortunately, Homebase (where I had originally bought the tap)
had exactly the right replacement inserts - although I did have to
file about 3mm off the end of the splined spindle.

We have now reverted back to normal washers, but the above was the
cause/fix for ours when it dripped. I fixed then by simply scratching
the disk free of scale with a thumb nail.

So far as I can see, there is no scale present at all. We live in mid
Cheshire which is a very soft water area. I'm really baffled as to why
the 'drip' is occurring.

Can you stop the dripping by turning the tap a bit more?

I ask as our kitchen tap has a similar problem, but it seems to turn off
fine, but then, if you've been running hot water, things cool and
contract and it starts to drip and will stop with a bit more of a turn.
A design fault or a faulty insert?

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Ret.
writes

So far as I can see, there is no scale present at all. We live in mid
Cheshire which is a very soft water area. I'm really baffled as to
why the 'drip' is occurring.

Noted. I certainly know that the water in the Manchester area doesn't
cause any scale, so it's unlikely that that is your problem. You could
try the Kilrock treatment, but it might be easier to replace the
insert(s) (if you can).

I'm going to try 'lapping' the discs on glass first. If that doesn't work
then I'll hunt for new cartridges.

Don't forget that, while the H & C inserts screw in the same
('normal') way, they turn in opposing directions. [NB: I think we
established that, otherwise, the construction is the same and, if you
prefer the handles to open in the opposite direction, you can simply
swap the inserts over.]

LOL! I discovered this after reassembling the cartridges, replacing them in
the tap, turning the tap handles off, and getting my son to turn on the
water. Although the cold tap was in the 'closed' position - it was actually
fully open - and I got drenched with the splash back! I had to remove the
cartridge again, dissassemble it again, and rotate the disc with the holes
through 45 deg. to re-establish shut off when the tap handle was in the
closed position!

I live in the Chiltern water area, and the difference is (almost
literally) chalk and cheese. The chalky water plays havoc with
plumbing - and especially taps.

Yes - I lived in Sussex for a few years and it was like that down there as
well. Kettles required 'de-furring' quite frequently and it was hard to get
a lather in the shower!

--
Kev

#2: Buy replacement inserts (if you can find correct type!).
I think this is what we will have to do - although it is annoying
when you cannot see what is causing the problem!

I wonder if the discs have worn dished or domed. Not that the
outcome
is changed much either way.
If you have the disks out you could try lapping them on a flat
surface
(Eg. A piece of glass) with jewellers rouge or toothpaste even.

Good idea. I'll give that a try first.

My inserts didn't have discs. The ceramic valve part was rather
similar to a revolving door, and the seals were rubber (coded red for
hot, and blue for cold, to indicate the direction of opening).

The seals on my sons are similarly colour coded - and the discs are as you
describe with 'triangular' holes cut in them that align/unalign, as the
spindle is turned. They are about the size of a 5p piece. If I remove the
coloured 'bungs' from the bottom of the cartridge, then the innards,
including the two ceramic discs, just drop out. They don't appear to be
damaged in any way.

--
Kev

--
Kev

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 25 May 2011 17:38:54 +0100, DIY wrote:

If you don't know the tap model and the manufacturer then you are
stuffed because there is no such thing as standard replacement
ceramic valves.

Maybe I was lucky when I need to replace the ceramic insert in our 20
(at the time) year old kitchen mixer tap... The only thing to be
aware of is the "hand", they are available as clockwise = on or
clockwise = off.

Don't think I've ever seen a ceramic insert in the likes of B&Q,
Homebase etc. I got mine froma builders/plumbers merchant. They had a
box of them on the counter.

Are you referring to the entire ceramic 'cartridge' - or just the ceramic
discs themselves? It never really crossed my mind that I would be able to
buy the latter separately.

--
Kev

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2011 17:41, Ret. wrote:
Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Ret.
writes

#2: Buy replacement inserts (if you can find correct type!).

I think this is what we will have to do - although it is annoying when
you cannot see what is causing the problem!

My tap responded to treatment for a few months, but started to drip
again. Fortunately, Homebase (where I had originally bought the tap)
had exactly the right replacement inserts - although I did have to
file about 3mm off the end of the splined spindle.

OK. I have B&Q and Plumbworld on the doorstep, and Homebase within 20
minute drive - so this will be the next step I think.

Ceramic disc taps are the spawn of Satan. They don't last anything like
as long as they are supposed to.

You would be better off phoning a few independent plumbing supply places
to find one who carries a selection, then take the old cartridge + tap
top & screw to make sure you get the right one.

You are looking at around £20 a pair.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2011 17:38, DIY wrote:
"Ret." wrote:
[...]

True, but some plumbers merchants carry a selection.

Not common granted, there is only 1 in the Medway Towns.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ret." wrote:
If my memory serves me correctly, the tap is no more than 6 or 7 years
old - so the discs shouldn't have worn out in that time.

Believe me, they often wear out sooner than that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 May 2011 19:51:22 +0100, Ret. wrote:

Don't think I've ever seen a ceramic insert in the likes of B&Q,
Homebase etc. I got mine froma builders/plumbers merchant. They

had a
box of them on the counter.

Are you referring to the entire ceramic 'cartridge' - or just the
ceramic discs themselves?

Whole kit and caboodle.

What pushes the discs together? There didn't seem any
(simple/obvious) way of taking the one I had a part to get at the
discs, otherwise I would have... May still have it my "scrap brass"
box.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 May 2011 19:14:41 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:

(coded red for hot, and blue for cold, to indicate the direction of
opening).

Is the colour the only diference? What happens if you want the hot on
opposite side of the tap but still turning the "correct" way say top
away = off.

Does this open "the hot is always on the left" debate?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Wed, 25 May 2011 19:14:41 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:

(coded red for hot, and blue for cold, to indicate the direction of
opening).

Is the colour the only diference? What happens if you want the hot on
opposite side of the tap but still turning the "correct" way say top
away = off.

Does this open "the hot is always on the left" debate?

Some time ago, 'expert opinion' in this NG decided that the colours of
the inserts only served to identify hot and cold (hence which side each
went, hence the direction of turn).

The convention is indeed 'hot on the left', and when the taps 'on', the
levers are parked folded back (ie the levers are pointing left and right
in opposite directions). However, several contributors were of the
opinion that they preferred 'the opposite', so that the water was 'on'
with the lever pointing towards you, and 'off' when folded back.

Whether which side is hot and cold depends on which pipes are connected
from beneath. Swapping the inserts simply determines which way the lever
turns to turn the water on and off. Of course, you will need to fit the
levers on the splines so that they point in the right directions (eg
towards you when 'on', and outwards when 'off'). Obviously, you fit the
lever with the red top on the hot tap, and the blue on the cold -
regardless of which way you have made them turn.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ret. wrote:

My son has a standard kitchen tap with separate hot and cold valves on
either side of the tap. I took a look at it today because it has developed
a steady drip.

The valves are ceramic disc with a quarter turn to full off/full on.

I removed each 'cartridge' and took it apart. I could not see any problem
at all with the ceramic discs they did not appear to be scratched or
damaged, nor was there any grit present. The various seals were in good
condition.

After cleaning and rinsing all components, I put them all back together,
replaced them in the tap and............. drip drip drip!

Anyone any suggestions?

Try this, press down quite hard on the top of the tap when its off
Still dripping ?
if not dismantle and ask yourself what keeps the two discs pressed together.

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ret. wrote:

OK. I have B&Q and Plumbworld on the doorstep,

I took a ceramic cartridge to Plumbcentre (or Plumbbase or whatever) to
find a matching replacement and they looked at is as if I'd presented
them with a stick of roobarb in a sweater.

--
Scott

#2: Buy replacement inserts (if you can find correct type!).

My tap responded to treatment for a few months, but started to drip
again. Fortunately, Homebase (where I had originally bought the tap)
had exactly the right replacement inserts - although I did have to
file about 3mm off the end of the splined spindle.

We have now reverted back to normal washers, but the above was the
cause/fix for ours when it dripped. I fixed then by simply scratching
the disk free of scale with a thumb nail.

So far as I can see, there is no scale present at all. We live in mid
Cheshire which is a very soft water area. I'm really baffled as to why the
'drip' is occurring.

We too live a very soft water area, but none the less they scaled up.
The first time I stripped them down I didn't see it, reassembled, found
they still dripped so tried again. It seems to just need a very thin
film to allow the water through.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 May 2011 19:51:41 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Ceramic disc taps are the spawn of Satan. They don't last anything like
as long as they are supposed to.

No Dave, they're "maintainance-free", i.e. replace entire tap when a problem
occurs.
I deliberately avoid the things in this plac, as the pressure's high and a
quarter turn of a proper tap is adequate - half a turn is messy.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice pretended :
What pushes the discs together? There didn't seem any
(simple/obvious) way of taking the one I had a part to get at the
discs, otherwise I would have... May still have it my "scrap brass"
box.

I think they rely on the water pressure provide the full seal. As I
remember I had to hook the disks out, they were quite a good fit.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2011 20:05, DIY wrote:
"Ret." wrote:
If my memory serves me correctly, the tap is no more than 6 or 7 years
old - so the discs shouldn't have worn out in that time.

Believe me, they often wear out sooner than that.

Seconded.

#2: Buy replacement inserts (if you can find correct type!).

My tap responded to treatment for a few months, but started to drip
again. Fortunately, Homebase (where I had originally bought the
tap) had exactly the right replacement inserts - although I did
have to file about 3mm off the end of the splined spindle.

We have now reverted back to normal washers, but the above was the
cause/fix for ours when it dripped. I fixed then by simply
scratching the disk free of scale with a thumb nail.

So far as I can see, there is no scale present at all. We live in mid
Cheshire which is a very soft water area. I'm really baffled as to
why the 'drip' is occurring.

We too live a very soft water area, but none the less they scaled up.
The first time I stripped them down I didn't see it, reassembled,
found they still dripped so tried again. It seems to just need a very
thin film to allow the water through.

OK - I'll double check on that Harry.

--
Kev

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 25/05/2011 17:41, Ret. wrote:
Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Ret.
writes

#2: Buy replacement inserts (if you can find correct type!).

I think this is what we will have to do - although it is annoying
when you cannot see what is causing the problem!

My tap responded to treatment for a few months, but started to drip
again. Fortunately, Homebase (where I had originally bought the tap)
had exactly the right replacement inserts - although I did have to
file about 3mm off the end of the splined spindle.

OK. I have B&Q and Plumbworld on the doorstep, and Homebase within 20
minute drive - so this will be the next step I think.

Ceramic disc taps are the spawn of Satan. They don't last anything
like as long as they are supposed to.

You would be better off phoning a few independent plumbing supply
places to find one who carries a selection, then take the old
cartridge + tap top & screw to make sure you get the right one.

You are looking at around £20 a pair.

Yes - and it is possible to get a brand new modern kitchen tap for £24.95 !

http://www.tapcentre.com/en/kitchen-...itchen-tap.php

--
Kev

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Ret.
writes

Yes - and it is possible to get a brand new modern kitchen tap for £24.95 !

http://www.tapcentre.com/en/kitchen-...-taps/portabel
lo-kitchen-tap.php

That's a fantastic collection of extremely ugly-looking taps!
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott M wrote:
Ret. wrote:

OK. I have B&Q and Plumbworld on the doorstep,

I took a ceramic cartridge to Plumbcentre (or Plumbbase or whatever)
to find a matching replacement and they looked at is as if I'd
presented them with a stick of roobarb in a sweater.

Better cross them off my list then!

--
Kev
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-05-25, The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 25/05/2011 20:05, DIY wrote:
"Ret." wrote:
If my memory serves me correctly, the tap is no more than 6 or 7
years old - so the discs shouldn't have worn out in that time.

Believe me, they often wear out sooner than that.

Seconded.

Thirded.

I've gone back to "proper" taps with washers.

OK!

--
Kev

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 25 May 2011 19:51:22 +0100, Ret. wrote:

Don't think I've ever seen a ceramic insert in the likes of B&Q,
Homebase etc. I got mine froma builders/plumbers merchant. They had
a box of them on the counter.

Are you referring to the entire ceramic 'cartridge' - or just the
ceramic discs themselves?

Whole kit and caboodle.

What pushes the discs together? There didn't seem any
(simple/obvious) way of taking the one I had a part to get at the
discs, otherwise I would have... May still have it my "scrap brass"
box.

On the ones in my son's tap, there is a coloured rubber washer in the bottom
of the cartridge - and it stands proud of the bottom of the cartridge. This
is resting on a copper disk which also has a rubber seal which presses
against the ceramic discs. When the cartridge is screwed into the tap, the
rubber washer in the bottom of the cartridge is pushed in - and that leads
to the ceramic discs being pressed together.

--
Kev

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark wrote:
Ret. wrote:

My son has a standard kitchen tap with separate hot and cold valves
on either side of the tap. I took a look at it today because it has
developed a steady drip.

The valves are ceramic disc with a quarter turn to full off/full on.

I removed each 'cartridge' and took it apart. I could not see any
problem at all with the ceramic discs they did not appear to be
scratched or damaged, nor was there any grit present. The various
seals were in good condition.

After cleaning and rinsing all components, I put them all back
together, replaced them in the tap and............. drip drip drip!

Anyone any suggestions?

Try this, press down quite hard on the top of the tap when its off
Still dripping ?
if not dismantle and ask yourself what keeps the two discs pressed
together.

I can see what presses the two discs together (explained in another of my
posts on the thread). It may be possible, thinking about it, to add a shim
to increase the pressure on the disks. Good thinking!

--
Kev

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 May 2011 20:05:50 +0100, "DIY" wrote:

"Ret." wrote:
If my memory serves me correctly, the tap is no more than 6 or 7 years
old - so the discs shouldn't have worn out in that time.

Believe me, they often wear out sooner than that.

looks for lucky rabbits foot

I've a ceramic disc mixer that was in the kitchen for a few years then
moved to the utility room and eventually into the garage where its
been for the past few months. It was originally fitted in mid 1986,
and while the white enamel has nearly all come off and the O rings on
the spout pivot are no doubt knackered, it's never been touched
internally.

At the time I fitted it the key thing I was told by an 'expert' was
that plumbing debris and water supply debris rapidly kills them.
Careful flushing and fitting reduces the impact of any plumbing debris
so they should last 'forever' unless the water board have been out
stirring **** up in the pipes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ret." wrote in message
Mark wrote:
Ret. wrote:

[...]

I couldn't find a local plumbers merchant that had a clue about replacement
inserts. In the end I went to "www.shop.lunns.net" and found the correct
one straight away. I was amazed at just how many different styles there
are!

Lawrence

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lawrence wrote:

[...]