Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Washing Machines

On Thursday, 13 July 2017 12:59:53 UTC+1, Graeme wrote:
In message ,
whisky-dave writes

I reemebr my mum using a dual tub version , where yuo took the washing
out of teh water section then into the spin dryer.

Twin Tub. Yes, I had one when I bought my first house in 75. Great fun
having to remove the wet stuff from one tub, and dump in the spin tub.
I had a pair of wooden tongs for that job.

Yes I remmebr that and my mum doing it I found it fasinating for some reason the steam the smell, the noises I stood there watching while my mum tried to get me to go and do something else, she was always worried about the clothes falling back and making a big splash of hot water.
I kepp takiong the rubber spiders web that went in the spinner took it out into the garden to use it as a frizbee sort of thing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 13 July 2017 12:59:53 UTC+1, Graeme wrote:
Twin Tub. Yes, I had one when I bought my first house in 75. Great fun
having to remove the wet stuff from one tub, and dump in the spin tub.
I had a pair of wooden tongs for that job.

I had one in a rented property in the 1980s.

If one can ignore the floor flooding and the windows steaming up, it was actually quite an efficient way of getting a lot of washing done.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 13 July 2017 15:55:13 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
I kepp takiong the rubber spiders web that went in the spinner took it
out into the garden to use it as a frizbee sort of thing.

One of my jobs was to sit on the spin-dryer to stop it waltzing round the kitchen, and pull the lid up to stop it when the washing-up bowl on the floor was getting full of water. (We had the economy model with a spout instead of a hose.)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 02:44:11 -0700, whisky-dave wrote:

On Wednesday, 12 July 2017 21:23:07 UTC+1,
wrote:
On Wednesday, 12 July 2017 21:16:38 UTC+1, DJC wrote:
My parents first washing machine, a single tub English Electric,
had a powered mangle on top.
I remember that kind, but asingle tub Hoover as I remember it.

Like this one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/382152210520

Owain

I reemebr my mum using a dual tub version , where yuo took the washing
out of teh water section then into the spin dryer.

Your mum? We used to have one (well, two).

When we married, we were living in a flat. It didn't come with a washing
machine and it was a very low rent (actual, altruistic landlady, even
gave us a nice wedding present).

One of our professors (well, two actually - the other being his wife)
gave us a secondhand twin tub machine. It lasted about 8 years, and then
was basically unrepairable. It was good because our kitchen was *tiny* -
we kept it under the stairs and wheeled it out for wash days.

When it broke, I managed to find a brand new one - so we got that (there
was *no* room for an automatic).

And we, too, had the wooden tongs for transferring washing to the spinner.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/07/2017 12:58, Graeme wrote:
In message ,
whisky-dave writes

I reemebr my mum using a dual tub version , where yuo took the washing
out of teh water section then into the spin dryer.

Twin Tub. Yes, I had one when I bought my first house in 75. Great fun
having to remove the wet stuff from one tub, and dump in the spin tub. I
had a pair of wooden tongs for that job.

My parents had one (when the single tub one with power mangle packed
up). A peculiarity was that you filled the wash tub through the drain
hose - there was a tethered rubber ball thing that sealed it when you
were running it as the pump worked all the time the impeller was
operating - probably the same motor. There must have been a separate
pump for the spin dryer tub, presumably from the spinner motor. It had a
water heater so you could keep the wash water hot - you used the same
water for multiple batches of laundry, starting with the cleaner items.

--
Max Demian