Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Washing Machines

On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 02:44:11 -0700, whisky-dave wrote:

On Wednesday, 12 July 2017 21:23:07 UTC+1,
wrote:
On Wednesday, 12 July 2017 21:16:38 UTC+1, DJC wrote:
My parents first washing machine, a single tub English Electric,
had a powered mangle on top.
I remember that kind, but asingle tub Hoover as I remember it.

Like this one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/382152210520

Owain

I reemebr my mum using a dual tub version , where yuo took the washing
out of teh water section then into the spin dryer.

Your mum? We used to have one (well, two).

When we married, we were living in a flat. It didn't come with a washing
machine and it was a very low rent (actual, altruistic landlady, even
gave us a nice wedding present).

One of our professors (well, two actually - the other being his wife)
gave us a secondhand twin tub machine. It lasted about 8 years, and then
was basically unrepairable. It was good because our kitchen was *tiny* -
we kept it under the stairs and wheeled it out for wash days.

When it broke, I managed to find a brand new one - so we got that (there
was *no* room for an automatic).

And we, too, had the wooden tongs for transferring washing to the spinner.