Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default So far OT - cheque books

I keep a cheque book for the rare occasion where a small group needs money
but doesn't handle electronic cash.

I have always had a cheque book since {mumble} long before the Internet
existed, or credit/debit cards and ATMs.

Back in the day you used cheques for everything including drawing cash, so
you could keep track of your money using the little area on the LHS where
you had your cheque amount and your running balance.

I just realised that the same fields are there today but the number of
people who could make use of this running total must be few to none.

Nearly all transactions are electronic, as far as I know.

Anyway, so far off topic....

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 05 Jul 2017 20:48:16 +0000, David wrote:

I keep a cheque book for the rare occasion where a small group needs
money but doesn't handle electronic cash.

I have always had a cheque book since {mumble} long before the Internet
existed, or credit/debit cards and ATMs.

Back in the day you used cheques for everything including drawing cash,
so you could keep track of your money using the little area on the LHS
where you had your cheque amount and your running balance.

I just realised that the same fields are there today but the number of
people who could make use of this running total must be few to none.

Nearly all transactions are electronic, as far as I know.

I feel your pain, mate. The bankers' long-term plan to take over the
world is really coming together now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Jul 2017 20:48:16 GMT, David wrote:

I keep a cheque book for the rare occasion where a small group needs money
but doesn't handle electronic cash.

I have always had a cheque book since {mumble} long before the Internet
existed, or credit/debit cards and ATMs.

Back in the day you used cheques for everything including drawing cash, so
you could keep track of your money using the little area on the LHS where
you had your cheque amount and your running balance.

I just realised that the same fields are there today but the number of
people who could make use of this running total must be few to none.

Nearly all transactions are electronic, as far as I know.

Anyway, so far off topic....

Cheers

Dave R

Life's too short for that, I think our American cousins learnt
"Balancing the check (sic) book" at grade school.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote

I keep a cheque book for the rare occasion where a small
group needs money but doesn't handle electronic cash.

I used to have just one blank check in my wallet for the
very rare occasion where I didnt have enough cash and
cards arent accepted. I used that so rarely that by the
time I found a need to use one, it was so battered that he
was rather dubious about accepting it, but it worked fine.

I no longer have that account and havent bothered to
get a cheque book from one of the others I can still get
one from because I needed to write a cheque so rarely
it isnt worth the cost of a new book of cheques.

I have always had a cheque book since {mumble} long
before the Internet existed, or credit/debit cards and ATMs.

Yeah, me too, ever since before I started
working, more than half a century ago now.

Back in the day you used cheques for everything including drawing cash,

Yeah, even for buying stuff at the supermarket and I did that quite a bit.

so you could keep track of your money using the little area on the
LHS where you had your cheque amount and your running balance.

I didnt bother, just recorded the details, didnt bother with the balance.

I just realised that the same fields are there today but the number of
people who could make use of this running total must be few to none.

Nearly all transactions are electronic, as far as I know.

Still most garage/yard/boot sale transactions are with cash.

I do almost everything with my phone now, dont even use cards.

Anyway, so far off topic....

I'd have you publicly flogged if you hadn't enjoyed that so much the last
time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-07-05, David wrote:
I keep a cheque book for the rare occasion where a small group needs
money
but doesn't handle electronic cash.

AOL

I probably write 3 or 4 a year, tops.

I know I write 1 a decade, tops.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/07/2017 21:48, David wrote:
I keep a cheque book for the rare occasion where a small group needs money
but doesn't handle electronic cash.

I have always had a cheque book since {mumble} long before the Internet
existed, or credit/debit cards and ATMs.

Back in the day you used cheques for everything including drawing cash, so
you could keep track of your money using the little area on the LHS where
you had your cheque amount and your running balance.

I just realised that the same fields are there today but the number of
people who could make use of this running total must be few to none.

I stopped using that method as there was nowhere to put standing orders
or direct debits. Debit cards to pay bills go back a long way too -
Barclays started theirs in 1987, and cash cards before then.

I started keeping a separate, written record of my bank account in 1987.
I still do, as I can just glance at it without having to go online, and
don't have to waste paper printing out statements every time there's a
change.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 6 Jul 2017 07:20:11 +1000
"Rod Speed" wrote:

I needed to write a cheque so rarely
it isnt worth the cost of a new book of cheques.

What's that all about? Cheque books in the UK are free. They cost money
in the US, but that's a dubious place anyway.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 5 Jul 2017 22:42:26 +0100
Max Demian wrote:

I started keeping a separate, written record of my bank account in
1987. I still do, as I can just glance at it without having to go
online, and don't have to waste paper printing out statements every
time there's a change.

I have a simple but effective spreadsheet that does the calculations
for me when I enter debits or credits on the next clear line. I also
have a list of direct Debits etc which highlights an approaching event
a few days beforehand.
Occasionally, I check the balance against what the bank says, and
correct any errors, such as missed events, etc.
It works fine.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I needed to write a cheque so rarely it isnt worth the cost of a new
book of cheques.

What's that all about? Cheque books in the UK are free. They cost money
in the US, but that's a dubious place anyway.

I remember a time when they weren't free. You had to pay stamp duty on
every cheque, and there was an embossed 'stamp' (circular) on each cheque.
The duty was 2d (two old pence) per cheque, so a book of 25 cheques was
charged at 50 old pence (4 shillings and two pence).

I got my first cheque book just before I went to university in October
1970. The UK went over to decimal currency in February 1971, and the
stamp duty on cheques was abolished a few days earlier - so I didn't pay
much! Of course, I had already paid for my current and spare cheque
books...

History:
https://goo.gl/SvJQZj

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davey wrote
Rod Speed wrote

I needed to write a cheque so rarely it isnt
worth the cost of a new book of cheques.

What's that all about?

That's the way many places do it.

Cheque books in the UK are free.

But you pay for them in the bank charges anyway.

They cost money in the US

And in plenty of other places too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/07/2017 21:48, David wrote:
I keep a cheque book for the rare occasion where a small group needs money
but doesn't handle electronic cash.

I have always had a cheque book since {mumble} long before the Internet
existed, or credit/debit cards and ATMs.

Back in the day you used cheques for everything including drawing cash, so
you could keep track of your money using the little area on the LHS where
you had your cheque amount and your running balance.

I haven't been offered a cheque book from a bank in many years, though I
do remember the benefits of being able to pay for stuff by cheque in the
knowledge that it wouldn't come out of my account for 5-7 days. Very
useful close to pay day when money was short.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Davey wrote:
On Thu, 6 Jul 2017 07:20:11 +1000
"Rod Speed" wrote:

I needed to write a cheque so rarely
it isnt worth the cost of a new book of cheques.

What's that all about? Cheque books in the UK are free. They cost money
in the US, but that's a dubious place anyway.

we used to have to pay for them, since there waas "Stamp Duty" levied on
every cheque.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Jul 2017 20:48:16 GMT, David wrote:

Back in the day you used cheques for everything including drawing cash, so
you could keep track of your money using the little area on the LHS where
you had your cheque amount and your running balance.

I just realised that the same fields are there today but the number of
people who could make use of this running total must be few to none.

I found it useful in a rough, ballpark sort of way: a drawn check might not be
presented for a while, so that would throw things off. But that would be money
not available to me, so not really a problem.

I found "interest checking" to kill any accuracy, as there would be interest
paid into the account which would throw off any manual calculation, And I never
got an automatic calculation of interest to match the bank's reliably...

This was back in the day when one could get a checking account that would pay
interest on the balance, if certain conditions were met.

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 06 Jul 2017 09:01:58 +0100, charles wrote:

wrote:

I needed to write a cheque so rarely it isnt worth the cost of a new
book of cheques.

What's that all about? Cheque books in the UK are free. They cost money
in the US, but that's a dubious place anyway.

we used to have to pay for them, since there waas "Stamp Duty" levied on
every cheque.

But (as I noted in my earlier post) that was over 46 years ago!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I started keeping a separate, written record of my bank account in
1987. I still do, as I can just glance at it without having to go
online, and don't have to waste paper printing out statements every
time there's a change.

I have a simple but effective spreadsheet that does the calculations for
me when I enter debits or credits on the next clear line. I also have a
list of direct Debits etc which highlights an approaching event a few
days beforehand.
Occasionally, I check the balance against what the bank says, and
correct any errors, such as missed events, etc.
It works fine.

Yep, same here. Works well as an annual forecast for the next year once
I've added a bit for inflation. I then know just how much I need to set
aside on a regular monthly basis to cover expenditure and just how much I
will have to play with.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David has brought this to us :
Back in the day you used cheques for everything including drawing cash, so
you could keep track of your money using the little area on the LHS where
you had your cheque amount and your running balance.

I have two cheque books with two different accounts. Recently I have
used one cheque per decade, though I found I used around eight cheques
recently - this dealing as an Executor with settling an Estate. It was
just so much easier to write cheques and hand them over or post them,
than any other payment option.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 06 Jul 2017 10:19:11 +0200, Thomas Prufer wrote:

This was back in the day when one could get a checking account that
would pay interest on the balance, if certain conditions were met.

Yes, but such a derisory amount which didn't offset the extra trouble
caused in attempting to check balances, as you say.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom was thinking very hard :
On Thu, 06 Jul 2017 10:19:11 +0200, Thomas Prufer wrote:

This was back in the day when one could get a checking account that
would pay interest on the balance, if certain conditions were met.

Yes, but such a derisory amount which didn't offset the extra trouble
caused in attempting to check balances, as you say.

I have 7 accounts and use a single facility approved by the banks, to
keep an eye on them. It lists all the credits and debits from each
account, shows me the sum of them and graphs the result daily, monthly
or going back to when I first added the accounts. It also shows which
sector the spend has been in and lists up and coming regular
transactions.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/07/2017 00:27, Davey wrote:
On Wed, 5 Jul 2017 22:42:26 +0100
Max Demian wrote:

I started keeping a separate, written record of my bank account in
1987. I still do, as I can just glance at it without having to go
online, and don't have to waste paper printing out statements every
time there's a change.

I have a simple but effective spreadsheet that does the calculations
for me when I enter debits or credits on the next clear line. I also
have a list of direct Debits etc which highlights an approaching event
a few days beforehand.
Occasionally, I check the balance against what the bank says, and
correct any errors, such as missed events, etc.
It works fine.

That sounds like a good idea. I might set one up, but I would want it to
work on my Android tablet instead of/as well as my Windows laptop.

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/07/2017 09:25, Brian Gaff wrote:
No I'm not sure but many people still use cheques, mostly elderly folk I
find.

I still have one but perversely, I have to get somebody to do the writing
for me.
The other option is a nice cheque printing software package that is around.
You need a printer that can handle small bits of paper though.

If I was blind I wouldn't trust the software not to be hacked: you might
be signing cheques in favour of the hacker.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 06 Jul 2017 09:25:59 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

No I'm not sure but many people still use cheques, mostly elderly folk I
find.

I still have one but perversely, I have to get somebody to do the
writing for me.
The other option is a nice cheque printing software package that is
around.
You need a printer that can handle small bits of paper though.
Brian

I think I probably qualify as elderly folk but my Yoga teacher also caters
for some younger folk and people mostly pay by cheque.

The payment which prompted the musings was a small amount to my local
cycling group.

There is still a significant group of small local organisations which
aren't large enough, with enough turn over, to justify setting up
electronic/credit/debit card payments.

AIUI this is one reason that cheque books are still with us, although the
banks would love to get rid of them.

Just remembered that corporate payments and refunds also sometimes come as
cheques. Presumably because they can't mandate that (a) you must have a
bank account and (b) that you must tell them the details.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I got my first proper bank account in 1969 (IIRC) but I can't remember
having to pay for cheques.

I did have a special deal for students (got a free clipboard as well, I
think) so perhaps free cheques were part of the deal.

Then again, 1969........my detailed memory of that year is not 100% for
some reason....

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/07/17 11:28, David wrote:
On Thu, 06 Jul 2017 09:25:59 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

No I'm not sure but many people still use cheques, mostly elderly folk I
find.

I still have one but perversely, I have to get somebody to do the
writing for me.
The other option is a nice cheque printing software package that is
around.
You need a printer that can handle small bits of paper though.
Brian

I think I probably qualify as elderly folk but my Yoga teacher also caters
for some younger folk and people mostly pay by cheque.

Anyone who reads the daily mail is conditioned to believe that cheques
are safer to use than electronic means, and the film 'catch me if you
can' was an item of pure fantasy?

http://www.paym.co.uk

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Pretty much the same here, except 1968 instead of 1969. Maybe free
cheques were indeed part of the deal for students.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 6 Jul 2017 10:24:59 +1000
"Rod Speed" wrote:

Davey wrote
Rod Speed wrote

I needed to write a cheque so rarely it isnt
worth the cost of a new book of cheques.

What's that all about?

That's the way many places do it.

Identify 'many' of these places. I know about the US, then there's......

Cheque books in the UK are free.

But you pay for them in the bank charges anyway.

I haven't paid a bank charge for years, I keep my accounts in the black.

They cost money in the US

And in plenty of other places too.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-07-05, David wrote:
I keep a cheque book for the rare occasion where a small group needs money
but doesn't handle electronic cash.

AOL

I probably write 3 or 4 a year, tops.

I last wrote one in May 2016.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 6 July 2017 12:08:48 UTC+1, Davey wrote:
Pretty much the same here, except 1968 instead of 1969. Maybe free
cheques were indeed part of the deal for students.

I'm not quite as, um, old, but I've never paid for cheques, even before I was a "student" in banking terms.

I used to get the NatWest ones with British birds on specially ordered. Much nicer than their usual pink-ish offering, and raised a few eyebrows from people who mistakenly thought they were something special.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davey wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Davey wrote
Rod Speed wrote

I needed to write a cheque so rarely it isnt
worth the cost of a new book of cheques.

What's that all about?

That's the way many places do it.

Identify 'many' of these places.

Virtually everywhere except Britain.

I know about the US, then there's......

Cheque books in the UK are free.

But you pay for them in the bank charges anyway.

I haven't paid a bank charge for years,
I keep my accounts in the black.

And you pay for the cheque book in the
derisory interest they pay on that black.

They cost money in the US

And in plenty of other places too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 06 Jul 2017 04:23:54 -0700, spuorgelgoog wrote:

I used to get the NatWest ones with British birds on specially ordered.

I still get those - they send them out on repeat order to me even though
a rarely use cheques other than to pay the monthly bill for the
newspapers we have delivered.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 6 Jul 2017 21:38:48 +1000
"Rod Speed" wrote:

Identify 'many' of these places.

Virtually everywhere except Britain.

That sounds like a win for Britain, then.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Thursday, 6 July 2017 12:08:48 UTC+1, Davey wrote:
Pretty much the same here, except 1968 instead of 1969. Maybe free
cheques were indeed part of the deal for students.

I'm not quite as, um, old, but I've never paid for cheques, even before
I was a "student" in banking terms.

You only IIRC paid for them when there was stamp duty. Abolished not long
after I got a bank account, so early '60s.

At one time, you had to add a postage stamp to a receipt and sign across
it - for it to be legal. Cheques the same sort of thing.

--
*They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Thursday, 6 July 2017 12:08:48 UTC+1, Davey wrote:
Pretty much the same here, except 1968 instead of 1969. Maybe free
cheques were indeed part of the deal for students.

I'm not quite as, um, old, but I've never paid for cheques, even before
I was a "student" in banking terms.

Until 1st Feb 1971 banks had to pay the government 2d (ie old pence) stamp
duty on all issued cheques, so, although each customer was not charged
separately for each cheque, some of the profits made from you giving your
money to the bank to "look after" or from overdraft fees or from bank
account charges went to pay the stamp duty.

eg see:
https://www.chequeandcredit.co.uk/in...and-stamp-duty
or:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stamp_...United_Kingdom

Alan

--

Using an ARMX6
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-07-06, Mark Allread wrote:
On Thu, 06 Jul 2017 04:23:54 -0700, spuorgelgoog wrote:

I used to get the NatWest ones with British birds on specially ordered.

I still get those - they send them out on repeat order to me even though
a rarely use cheques other than to pay the monthly bill for the
newspapers we have delivered.

Just wrote a cheque for the boiler service man. It's what he wanted!

I had the choice of cash or cheque for paying the drain clearing company
last week. Cheque was 20% dearer than cash :-)

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-07-06, Davey wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Hmmm. I got my first bank account in 1970 and don't recall paying for
cheques. Pretty sure students got free banking to encourage loyalty.
It kinda worked because I still have that account, although don't use
it for much; given the problems Banks regularly have with IT these
days, having accounts at two separate institutions has proven useful
in the past.

I don't recall having to buy a cheque book either. As the stamp duty was
not really due until you issued the cheque, it may simply have been
incorporated into the cheque transaction fee.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

no, you paid it when the cheque book was issued.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-07-06, Mark Allread wrote:
On Thu, 06 Jul 2017 04:23:54 -0700, spuorgelgoog wrote:

I used to get the NatWest ones with British birds on specially
ordered.

I still get those - they send them out on repeat order to me even
though a rarely use cheques other than to pay the monthly bill for the
newspapers we have delivered.

Just wrote a cheque for the boiler service man. It's what he wanted!

I had the choice of cash or cheque for paying the drain clearing company
last week. Cheque was 20% dearer than cash :-)

Lemme think, how much is VAT these days? Or how about the personal tax
thresholds?

Did you get a receipt? :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 06 Jul 2017 15:11:37 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
On Thursday, 6 July 2017 12:08:48 UTC+1, Davey wrote:
Pretty much the same here, except 1968 instead of 1969. Maybe free
cheques were indeed part of the deal for students.

I'm not quite as, um, old, but I've never paid for cheques, even before
I was a "student" in banking terms.

You only IIRC paid for them when there was stamp duty. Abolished not
long after I got a bank account, so early '60s.

No, early 1971. Your bank might have stopped charging for the stamps
earlier. See my link upthread.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 06 Jul 2017 15:14:34 +0100, Alan Dawes wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
On Thursday, 6 July 2017 12:08:48 UTC+1, Davey wrote:
Pretty much the same here, except 1968 instead of 1969. Maybe free
cheques were indeed part of the deal for students.

I'm not quite as, um, old, but I've never paid for cheques, even before
I was a "student" in banking terms.

Until 1st Feb 1971 banks had to pay the government 2d (ie old pence)
stamp duty on all issued cheques, so, although each customer was not
charged separately for each cheque, some of the profits made from you
giving your money to the bank to "look after" or from overdraft fees or
from bank account charges went to pay the stamp duty.

eg see:
https://www.chequeandcredit.co.uk/in...-cheque/taxes-

and-stamp-duty

Yes, I posted that link earlier, with a summary. I don't think Dave read
it.