Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default So far OT - cheque books 2

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Things like remembering to get some when running low. Every supermarket
I've seen has an ATM. Keeping change at home for when it may be needed.

Supermarkets are double handy as you get the notes out of
ATM outside and then break one or two up by buying single
bananas or whatever, on one of their EPOS machines inside.

I'm of an age where getting actual money out of a hole in
the wall by simply pressing a few buttons still seems a
bit magical. Even if it is my own money.

The *******s have somewhat spoiled the illusion of late
by filling the things with worn out notes, not crisp
ones like before.

"Would you like new notes sir ?"

Those were the days.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default So far OT - cheque books

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
news
On 08/07/2017 10:46, michael adams wrote:
"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .

Our village has no pub, no garage, no shop.

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .

Yes to church and Village Hall. I already indicated the unsuitability
of our VH to host an ATM. You could break in with a tin opener.

Stone me.

If a village has no pub, no garage, and no shop WTF does it need an ATM
for ?

As I very much doubt that the High Street in Midsomer Streater, or
wherever it
is, is lined with drug dealers or prozzies, somehow.

Normal business practice is to locate ATMs in places where people are
are most likely to need cash, or put the other way round, the places
where
people are likely to need cash are the most likely places to find
an ATM.

There are ptobably laboratory chimpanzees capable of working that
one for themselves, if you could actually design the experiment and had
enough bananas.

michael adams

The trouble is that you often find that you need cash when you are at
home - kids need money for the bus ticket to school;

Not with a well organised public transport system that has
an electronic card you just wave at the post at the bus stop.

window or wheelie-bin cleaner needs paying;

The 3rd world has systems that allow any mobile phone to pay
any other mobile phone anything you like, no cash required.

Works fine in the first world too.

kids need cash for some event happening at school the next day, etc.

No reason why that can't be done with a card which can
only be used for a specific type of payment like that. Time
the first world got its act into gear on that stuff.

We already have that for benefits, what you can buy is
restricted so you can't buy fags and grog etc, just food etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar" wrote in message
On 08-Jul-17 7:43 AM, Stuart Noble wrote:
On 07/07/2017 02:05, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 6 Jul 2017 12:14:51 +0100, Nightjar wrote:

I keep a cheque book for the rare occasion where a small group
needs
money but doesn't handle electronic cash.

Most accounts can accept a bank transfer (BACS) even if the account
holder has no electronic banking facility.

I probably write 3 or 4 a year, tops.

I last wrote one in May 2016.

Oct 2015, before that Dec 2012.

I wrote one to myself and posted it to Santander, this being the only way
to open a bond (apparently)

Mine was similarly to my bank to open a bond. It seems they can't do an
electronic transfer to an account that does not yet exist.

But with ours, you open the account using your phone,
get the account number immediately, so you have an
account to do an electronic transfer to in a minute or two.

Ours do the online ID verification immediately too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2017 21:20, Rod Speed wrote:

[...]

That is no use for this purpose - one of the things my younger children
do at school is called Enterprise day. The children make things and
bring in old toys, books and DVDs, which they then sell to each other
with the money being split between school funds and charity. As they are
from the age of 4 to 11, they don't have bank accounts with payment
cards, mobile phones or other facilities. They need cash and it needs to
be small denominations.

We obviously know about these in advance, but sometimes the day suddenly
changes.

Similarly they can be given a pound by the school and told to try and
use it to make some money - our middle son bought polish at the pound
shop and polished family's shoes for a small payment. How else do family
and friends pay a small amount to a young child for passing on to the
school?

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default So far OT - cheque books 1

On Sun, 9 Jul 2017 10:00:54 +0100, "michael adams"
wrote:

The problem with
paying window cleaners wheelie bin cleaners etc is they expect
payment when the job is done. But there's no guarentee that
they'll have change for your £10 or £20 note. Which can create
an awkward situation which is best avoided if at all possible.
Obviously if they charge less, say £6, and you've only got
£4 in change then a tenner out of an ATM is no real help.

Never had any problems tending notes to my window cleaner, who also
accepts cheques without complaint.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Wrong.

- one of the things my younger children do at school is called Enterprise
day. The children make things and bring in old toys, books and DVDs, which
they then sell to each other with the money being split between school
funds and charity. As they are from the age of 4 to 11, they don't have
bank accounts with payment cards, mobile phones or other facilities. They
need cash and it needs to be small denominations.

No they dont, the card can have that as a
category so the brats can only spend on that.

We obviously know about these in advance, but sometimes the day suddenly
changes.

And when the card has categorys that it can only be
spent on it will work fine whenever it happens to be.

Similarly they can be given a pound by the school and told to try and use
it to make some money - our middle son bought polish at the pound shop and
polished family's shoes for a small payment. How else do family and
friends pay a small amount to a young child for passing on to the school?

Same way, have the school as a category the card the kid gets can
only spend at. So your account can have a number of cards, the
kids get one each and those cards can only be spent at the school.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 9 Jul 2017 21:05:36 +0100, DJC wrote:

On 09/07/17 17:13, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sun, 09 Jul 2017 15:33:34 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Things like remembering to get some when running low. Every supermarket
I've seen has an ATM. Keeping change at home for when it may be needed.

Depends how often you go to the supermarket. Not often, if out in the
sticks, and many have theor groceries delivered.

Out in the sticks here the village shop does cash-back.

We are fortunate enough to still have a reasonably successful
village pub, they do cash back as well.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
michael adams wrote:
The *******s have somewhat spoiled the illusion of late
by filling the things with worn out notes, not crisp
ones like before.

"Would you like new notes sir ?"

Those were the days.

In those days with me it would have been 'would you like a new note, sir?'

--
*Suicidal twin kills sister by mistake.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
Handsome Jack wrote:
charles posted
And another problem with ATM's is they only dispense notes. Usually
£20's but ocassionally £10's if you're lucky. The problem with paying
window cleaners

our window cleaner expects to be paid by BACS. It helps his accounting.

How is it more helpful than a cheque in that respect?

A BACS payment is itemised with references on a bank statement - a cheque
is simply listed by number; further reference documents are needed to see
where it originated. Also, cheques cost nearly £1 to process on a business
account.

In funny accounting money perhaps

but not in real money

most banks charge businesses on a total deposit basis not on a per cheque
basis

tim

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2017 22:03, Rod Speed wrote:

[...]

Do you really think that the school would want hundreds of kids making
thousands of small tranactions over the space of an hour on a single
card machine? Or do you expect them to buy multiple machines for them to
have at least one on each "stall"?

How is the child supposed to collect the money onto the card when doing
their "bob-a-job" type tasks? Are you expecting every family member,
friend and neighbour who takes part to go to the hassle of setting up an
online payment to the card just to pay 50p or so?

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Steve Walker wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Steve Walker wrote
michael adams wrote
Tim Streater wrote

[...]

Yes, particularly with a contactless machine
that the brats just wave the card at.

Leaves counting all that cash for dead.

And I used to work at one of the relos small shops back
in the early 50 when there were no cards at all and almost
all of the transactions were done with cash in a similar way
to what your kids do now. And cash counting at the end of
the day and the banking was a complete pain in the arse.

Or do you expect them to buy multiple machines for them to have at least
one on each "stall"?

I expect that if that sort of system was universal you
could just get a few from the bank on enterprise day etc.

How is the child supposed to collect the money onto the card when doing
their "bob-a-job" type tasks?

Pay to their mobile phone like the 3rd world does right now.

Are you expecting every family member, friend and neighbour who takes part
to go to the hassle of setting up an online payment to the card just to
pay 50p or so?

I expect almost everyone but the worst dinosaurs to
have a mobile phone and it will be even easier to just
pay to that than fart around with change in cash etc.

Yes, that might have a few minor downsides like fewer
situations where the kid is handed the smallest note
that the person the job was done for has to hand
and told to not worry about the change etc.

And yes, one year I blitzed the entire close suburbs
doing bob a job jobs and produced much more
cash than anyone else in the scout troop did that year.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/2017 22:39, Rod Speed wrote:
Steve Walker wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Steve Walker wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Steve Walker wrote
michael adams wrote
Tim Streater wrote

[...]

I've already said that these are primary school children, very few of
them have a mobile phone at all. My own children are 13, 11 and 9. Only
the 13 year old has a mobile and that is because he has an hour journey
each way to and from school and we want him to be able to tell us if the
bus is late, he's missed it or he's lost his ticket, any other problem
or just that he's going to be late back 'cos he's going into town with
his mates. The 11 year old will get one in September when he moves to
secondary school and has the same journey.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

No reason why they can't have a family one
when doing that sort of bob a job type work.

My own children are 13, 11 and 9. Only the 13 year old has a mobile and
that is because he has an hour journey each way to and from school and we
want him to be able to tell us if the bus is late, he's missed it or he's
lost his ticket, any other problem or just that he's going to be late back
'cos he's going into town with his mates. The 11 year old will get one in
September when he moves to secondary school and has the same journey.

The younger ones can borrow the 13 year
old's one when doing the bob a job type work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/2017 00:05, Rod Speed wrote:

[...]

Far easier just to use cash!

Cash also has a great advantage that as a tangible object, they can see
how much they have, how much things cost, etc. I feel that there would
be far fewer problems with debt if people actually used cash (or even
cheques) to pay for things instead of just swiping a card or having
money automatically taken from their account.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Not when everyone but real dinosaurs get into the habit of
paying mobile to mobile and when the kids show up offering
to do simple work, there is no other easy way to pay them.

Cash also has a great advantage that as a tangible object, they can see
how much they have, how much things cost, etc.

Clearly not a major consideration for those who buy stuff
at the supermarkets etc now with cards and their phones.

Its now only the local aldi where you see many paying with
cash anymore and ours accept any type of card with a 0.5%
surcharge if you use a card to pay for the stuff you buy.

I feel that there would be far fewer problems with debt if people actually
used cash (or even cheques) to pay for things instead of just swiping a
card or having money automatically taken from their account.

Sure, but thats a long lost argument now. And I can't see
that a cheque is any different to a card in that regard anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 23:48:31 +0100, Steve Walker wrote:

I've already said that these are primary school children, very few of
them have a mobile phone at all. My own children are 13, 11 and 9. Only
the 13 year old has a mobile and that is because he has an hour journey
each way to and from school and we want him to be able to tell us if the
bus is late, he's missed it or he's lost his ticket, any other problem
or just that he's going to be late back 'cos he's going into town with
his mates. The 11 year old will get one in September when he moves to
secondary school and has the same journey.

Same here. They had a 2 minute walk to the station, about 30 minutes on
the train, and a 10 minute walk the other end. It wasn't uncommon for
there to be fairly major train problems (it's the coastal terminus for
the main North Kent line from London).

Older son got his phone when he went to secondary school. Younger one got
his two years later (very important for him as he had just been diagnosed
as diabetic, and it made him feel safer).

We paid the basic monthly charge until they got jobs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
Cash also has a great advantage that as a tangible object, they can see
how much they have, how much things cost, etc. I feel that there would
be far fewer problems with debt if people actually used cash (or even
cheques) to pay for things instead of just swiping a card or having
money automatically taken from their account.

+1

--
*Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/2017 04:28, Rod Speed wrote:
"Steve Walker" wrote in message
news

Cash also has a great advantage that as a tangible object, they can
see how much they have, how much things cost, etc.

Clearly not a major consideration for those who buy stuff
at the supermarkets etc now with cards and their phones.

Its now only the local aldi where you see many paying with
cash anymore and ours accept any type of card with a 0.5%
surcharge if you use a card to pay for the stuff you buy.

You have to *pay* to use a card in Aldi? I'd definitely pay cash in that
case.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Max Demian wrote:
On 11/07/2017 04:28, Rod Speed wrote:
"Steve Walker" wrote in message
news

Cash also has a great advantage that as a tangible object, they can
see how much they have, how much things cost, etc.

Clearly not a major consideration for those who buy stuff
at the supermarkets etc now with cards and their phones.

Its now only the local aldi where you see many paying with
cash anymore and ours accept any type of card with a 0.5%
surcharge if you use a card to pay for the stuff you buy.

You have to *pay* to use a card in Aldi? I'd definitely pay cash in that
case.

Not that long ago Lidl didn't accept credit cards. Debit cards or cash.

--
* What do they call a coffee break at the Lipton Tea Company? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 11/07/2017 04:28, Rod Speed wrote:
"Steve Walker" wrote in message
news

Cash also has a great advantage that as a tangible object, they can see
how much they have, how much things cost, etc.

Clearly not a major consideration for those who buy stuff
at the supermarkets etc now with cards and their phones.

Its now only the local aldi where you see many paying with
cash anymore and ours accept any type of card with a 0.5%
surcharge if you use a card to pay for the stuff you buy.

You have to *pay* to use a card in Aldi?

Yep.

I'd definitely pay cash in that case.

Seems rather silly to bother when its only 0.5%

Thats 50c in $100 and I hardly ever spend over $50, let alone $100.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
[...]

We have a few plans with no monthly charge at all, you only
pay for the calls or texts or data you actually use and pay
peanuts for those usages charges too, 12c for 1 minute
calls and for texts. Ideal for those emergency phones.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 15:48:41 +0100, Max Demian wrote:

On 11/07/2017 04:28, Rod Speed wrote:
"Steve Walker" wrote in message
news

Cash also has a great advantage that as a tangible object, they can
see how much they have, how much things cost, etc.

Clearly not a major consideration for those who buy stuff at the
supermarkets etc now with cards and their phones.

Its now only the local aldi where you see many paying with cash anymore
and ours accept any type of card with a 0.5% surcharge if you use a
card to pay for the stuff you buy.

You have to *pay* to use a card in Aldi? I'd definitely pay cash in that
case.

I use credit card and debit card in Aldi and there is no surcharge. I
just checked yesterday's bill (and asked my son, who works there)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 15:48:41 +0100, Max Demian wrote:

On 11/07/2017 04:28, Rod Speed wrote:
"Steve Walker" wrote in message
news

Cash also has a great advantage that as a tangible object, they can
see how much they have, how much things cost, etc.

Clearly not a major consideration for those who buy stuff at the
supermarkets etc now with cards and their phones.

Its now only the local aldi where you see many paying with cash anymore
and ours accept any type of card with a 0.5% surcharge if you use a
card to pay for the stuff you buy.

You have to *pay* to use a card in Aldi? I'd definitely pay cash in that
case.

I use credit card and debit card in Aldi and there is no surcharge. I
just checked yesterday's bill (and asked my son, who works there)

Who the hell needs credit cards?
I'm almost 70 and never needed/wanted one.
I prefer to buy what i want, if i can.
If i can't, tough ****.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote
Max Demian wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Steve Walker wrote

Cash also has a great advantage that as a tangible object,
they can see how much they have, how much things cost, etc.

Clearly not a major consideration for those who buy stuff
at the supermarkets etc now with cards and their phones.

Its now only the local aldi where you see many paying with
cash anymore and ours accept any type of card with a 0.5%
surcharge if you use a card to pay for the stuff you buy.

You have to *pay* to use a card in Aldi?
I'd definitely pay cash in that case.

I use credit card and debit card in Aldi and there is no surcharge.
I just checked yesterday's bill (and asked my son, who works there)

Different country.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"bm" wrote in message
web.com...

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 15:48:41 +0100, Max Demian wrote:

On 11/07/2017 04:28, Rod Speed wrote:
"Steve Walker" wrote in message
news
Cash also has a great advantage that as a tangible object, they can
see how much they have, how much things cost, etc.

Clearly not a major consideration for those who buy stuff at the
supermarkets etc now with cards and their phones.

Its now only the local aldi where you see many paying with cash anymore
and ours accept any type of card with a 0.5% surcharge if you use a
card to pay for the stuff you buy.

You have to *pay* to use a card in Aldi? I'd definitely pay cash in that
case.

I use credit card and debit card in Aldi and there is no surcharge. I
just checked yesterday's bill (and asked my son, who works there)

Who the hell needs credit cards?

Its not needs so much as they can be quite useful.

I have one with no fee which can be handy when you come
across something that isnt cheap and so costs more than
you choose to keep in your main transaction account while
you earn a decent interest rate on your substantial cash.

They are also handy for avoiding needing to have a float
in your transaction account and pay the credit card off in
full every month from the account that has a substantial
amount of cash in it at the highest interest rate you can find.

And that can be completely automated too, much
more convenient than farting around maintaining
an adequate float in the transaction account.

Can also be handy for when the bank's system
goes flat on its face for a few hours or even a
day or so as all bank systems do occasionally.

I'm almost 70 and never needed/wanted one.

Just another silly senile old dinosaur.

I prefer to buy what i want, if i can.
If i can't, tough ****.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2017 01:52, bm wrote:

Who the hell needs credit cards?

Anybody who want to hire a car for one. Very difficult (although maybe
possible) to do without.

I have never used the "credit" facility of a credit card, but having one
has made life simpler on numerous occasions.

I'm almost 70 and never needed/wanted one.
I prefer to buy what i want, if i can.
If i can't, tough ****.

I'm with you there in general, but a bit tricky buying a house (not that
a credit card would help in that case)

--
Chris B (News)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"bm" wrote in message
web.com...

Who the hell needs credit cards?

Anyone who wants to "easily" buy things mail order
for one.

Before the internet really took off Maplin catalogues
were available in the magazine section of W.H.Smith.
Can't remember the price. As I lived near one of
their early branches this didn't really affect me.
But for anyone else who wanted to buy something, it
meant either fannying around writing a letter and maybe
enclosing one of the order forms they'd sent with
your first order, and either writing a cheque and
posting it in the letterbox round the corner,
assuming you had a stamp, or trotting off to the post
office and joining the queue to buy a postal order
and a stamp.

With a credit card you simply called the number on the
back of the catalogue gave them all your details
and that was it.

Same with a lot of mail order businesses that
advertised in specialist/trade/hobby magazines.

That was a good reason for first applying for one,
and after that the other advanatages soon became
clear.

I'm almost 70 and never needed/wanted one.

Kids today eh ? What would they know ?

I prefer to buy what i want, if i can.

But not being able to buy at a distance puts you at a real
diadvantage where price is concerned - even without the
internet and price comparison sites. Just by comparing
catalogues or adverts in the back of magazines.

Not everybody with a credit card goes berserk and loses
thousands of pounds on poker sites. Without checking
ISTR most people pay them off every month. For the less
well organised who don't spend hours bent over spreadsheets
the detailed statement they send every month at no extra
cost, in addition to the PDF can be a useful way of
keeping track of spending

If i can't, tough ****.

You really shouldn't be so hard on yourself. There's a whole
world of internet shopping out there, just waiting to fulfil
your every earthly desire. Same as the Argos catalogue really
only with ten times more stuff.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Jul 2017 08:26:59 +0100, Chris B wrote:

On 12/07/2017 01:52, bm wrote:

Who the hell needs credit cards?

Anybody who want to hire a car for one. Very difficult (although maybe
possible) to do without.

And also to get the statutory consumer protection on larger purchases.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Chris B
writes
On 12/07/2017 01:52, bm wrote:

Who the hell needs credit cards?

Anybody who want to hire a car for one. Very difficult (although maybe
possible) to do without.

I have never used the "credit" facility of a credit card, but having
one has made life simpler on numerous occasions.

I'm almost 70 and never needed/wanted one.
I prefer to buy what i want, if i can.
If i can't, tough ****.

I'm with you there in general, but a bit tricky buying a house (not
that a credit card would help in that case)

I once witnessed a guy buy an £80k motor home with his credit card - and
he didn't complain when the salesman very apologetically said they would
have to charge him and additional 2.5% to cover the fee.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim Streater
writes
In article , Chris B
wrote:

On 12/07/2017 01:52, bm wrote:

Who the hell needs credit cards?

Anybody who want to hire a car for one. Very difficult (although
maybe possible) to do without.

I have never used the "credit" facility of a credit card, but having
one has made life simpler on numerous occasions.

+1

No need to go into debt just because you have a credit card.

Has the advantage of giving better consumer protection
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"bert" wrote in message
In article , Chris B writes
On 12/07/2017 01:52, bm wrote:

Who the hell needs credit cards?

Anybody who want to hire a car for one. Very difficult (although maybe
possible) to do without.

I have never used the "credit" facility of a credit card, but having one
has made life simpler on numerous occasions.

I'm almost 70 and never needed/wanted one.
I prefer to buy what i want, if i can.
If i can't, tough ****.

I'm with you there in general, but a bit tricky buying a house (not that a
credit card would help in that case)

I once witnessed a guy buy an £80k motor home with his credit card - and
he didn't complain when the salesman very apologetically said they would
have to charge him and additional 2.5% to cover the fee.

I bought a brand new car using a debit card a full 10 years ago now
and the dealer principal was a bit surprised that I wanted to do that
but was quite happy to do it when he realised it wouldn't cost him a
cent to do it like that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"bert" wrote in message
In article , Tim Streater
writes
In article , Chris B
wrote:

On 12/07/2017 01:52, bm wrote:

Who the hell needs credit cards?

Anybody who want to hire a car for one. Very difficult (although maybe
possible) to do without.

I have never used the "credit" facility of a credit card, but having one
has made life simpler on numerous occasions.

+1

No need to go into debt just because you have a credit card.

Has the advantage of giving better consumer protection

Not here it doesn't, identical consumer protection with debit and credit
cards.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
..

I bought a brand new car using a debit card a full 10 years ago now
and the dealer principal was a bit surprised that I wanted to do that
but was quite happy to do it when he realised it wouldn't cost him a
cent to do it like that.

Course he was. Because if the wheels fell off before you got to the
end of the street, there was no possibility of a chargeback.

Possesion is nine tenths of the law, and your money was safe
in his bank account earning interest.

What's not for him to like ?

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 09 Jul 2017 21:56:45 +0100, Peter Johnson wrote:

Never had any problems tending notes to my window cleaner, who
also accepts cheques without complaint.

uk.d-i-y, hire window cleaners?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote
Rod Speed wrote

I bought a brand new car using a debit card a full 10 years ago now and
the dealer principal was a bit surprised that I wanted to do that but was
quite happy to do it when he realised it wouldn't cost him a cent to do
it like that.

Course he was. Because if the wheels fell off before you got to the end of
the street, there was no possibility of a chargeback.

Even more pig ignorant than you usually manage. It’s a Visa
with identical chargeback rights as their credit cards here.

And that was a brand new car with a 5 year warranty,
the longest available in this country at that time so
even if the wheels had fallen off, it would have been
stupid to do a chargeback in the circumstances anyway.

And its such a reliable brand that I didn’t have even a
single warranty claim or even quibble in the 5 years either.

Possesion is nine tenths of the law,

Like hell it is with consumer transactions like that.

and your money was safe in his bank account earning interest.

And would have been if I had used the more traditional way of
paying for a new car which hadn't been financed, a bank cheque.

What's not for him to like ?

Even sillier and more pig ignorant than you
usually manage, and that’s saying something.