Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default So far OT - cheque books

On 2017-07-06, Davey wrote:
On 6 Jul 2017 10:31:17 GMT David wrote:

On Wed, 05 Jul 2017 23:54:07 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:

On Thu, 06 Jul 2017 00:23:58 +0100, Davey wrote:

On Thu, 6 Jul 2017 07:20:11 +1000 "Rod Speed"
wrote:

I needed to write a cheque so rarely it isnt worth the cost of a
new book of cheques.

What's that all about? Cheque books in the UK are free. They cost
money in the US, but that's a dubious place anyway.

I remember a time when they weren't free. You had to pay stamp duty
on every cheque, and there was an embossed 'stamp' (circular) on
each cheque.
The duty was 2d (two old pence) per cheque, so a book of 25 cheques
was charged at 50 old pence (4 shillings and two pence).

I got my first cheque book just before I went to university in
October 1970. The UK went over to decimal currency in February 1971,
and the stamp duty on cheques was abolished a few days earlier - so
I didn't pay much! Of course, I had already paid for my current and
spare cheque books...

History:
https://goo.gl/SvJQZj

I got my first proper bank account in 1969 (IIRC) but I can't
remember having to pay for cheques.

I did have a special deal for students (got a free clipboard as well,
I think) so perhaps free cheques were part of the deal.

Then again, 1969........my detailed memory of that year is not 100%
for some reason....

Cheers

Dave R

Pretty much the same here, except 1968 instead of 1969. Maybe free
cheques were indeed part of the deal for students.

Hmmm. I got my first bank account in 1970 and don't recall paying for
cheques. Pretty sure students got free banking to encourage loyalty. It
kinda worked because I still have that account, although don't use it
for much; given the problems Banks regularly have with IT these days,
having accounts at two separate institutions has proven useful in the
past.

I don't recall having to buy a cheque book either. As the stamp duty was
not really due until you issued the cheque, it may simply have been
incorporated into the cheque transaction fee.

They just knocked it off your account.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06-Jul-17 6:22 PM, Mark Allread wrote:

On 2017-07-06, Mark Allread wrote:
On Thu, 06 Jul 2017 04:23:54 -0700, spuorgelgoog wrote:

I used to get the NatWest ones with British birds on specially
ordered.

I still get those - they send them out on repeat order to me even
though a rarely use cheques other than to pay the monthly bill for the
newspapers we have delivered.

Just wrote a cheque for the boiler service man. It's what he wanted!

I had the choice of cash or cheque for paying the drain clearing company
last week. Cheque was 20% dearer than cash :-)

Lemme think, how much is VAT these days? Or how about the personal tax
thresholds?

Did you get a receipt? :-)

I was mildly surprised that I did.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

no, you paid it when the cheque book was issued.

As I said,that is not my recollection. It would mean that anybody who
accidentally spoiled a cheque could reclaim the 2d stamp duty under the
Stamp Duties Management Act 1891, which I also don't recall happening.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/07/2017 08:18, Jamie Adams wrote:
On 05/07/2017 21:48, David wrote:
I keep a cheque book for the rare occasion where a small group needs
money
but doesn't handle electronic cash.

I have always had a cheque book since {mumble} long before the Internet
existed, or credit/debit cards and ATMs.

Back in the day you used cheques for everything including drawing
cash, so
you could keep track of your money using the little area on the LHS where
you had your cheque amount and your running balance.

I haven't been offered a cheque book from a bank in many years, though I
do remember the benefits of being able to pay for stuff by cheque in the
knowledge that it wouldn't come out of my account for 5-7 days. Very
useful close to pay day when money was short.

I have a few things that can ONLY be paid by cheque, one of which is my
ground rent - they offer no other option. They are also a requirement of
a couple of payments to the secondary school in preparation for children
starting there (reserving a locker, paying for a trip that happens in
the first weeks of September, etc.) where payment has to be made in
June/July, but your child won't be on the on-line payment system until
they start there in September and they won't accept cash. I suppose it
is possible that they'd accept a postal order (assuming that those still
exist).

We do still have a cheque book, but of course they are only a
convenience and you can write a cheque on any old piece of paper, as
long as all the details are there.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 06 Jul 2017 15:11:37 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
On Thursday, 6 July 2017 12:08:48 UTC+1, Davey wrote:
Pretty much the same here, except 1968 instead of 1969. Maybe free
cheques were indeed part of the deal for students.

I'm not quite as, um, old, but I've never paid for cheques, even before
I was a "student" in banking terms.

You only IIRC paid for them when there was stamp duty. Abolished not
long after I got a bank account, so early '60s.

No, early 1971. Your bank might have stopped charging for the stamps
earlier. See my link upthread.

Ah - right. That must be it. I do remember being charged for a cheque book
early on.

I now get rather annoyed if sent a cheque - or have to send one.

--
*The modem is the message *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 6 Jul 2017 12:14:51 +0100, Nightjar wrote:

I keep a cheque book for the rare occasion where a small group

needs
money but doesn't handle electronic cash.

Most accounts can accept a bank transfer (BACS) even if the account
holder has no electronic banking facility.

I probably write 3 or 4 a year, tops.

I last wrote one in May 2016.

Oct 2015, before that Dec 2012.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 6 July 2017 22:47:47 UTC+1, Steve Walker wrote:
We do still have a cheque book, but of course they are only a
convenience and you can write a cheque on any old piece of paper, as
long as all the details are there.

You could under the old Bills of Exchange Act, but most banks' T&Cs will require you to use printed cheques from them (or an approved supplier for business accounts).

Board of Inland Revenue v Haddock is of course the leading case on the matter. See also

https://www.theguardian.com/notesand...-20434,00.html

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Steve Walker
wrote:

I have a few things that can ONLY be paid by cheque, one of which is my
ground rent - they offer no other option. They are also a requirement of
a couple of payments to the secondary school in preparation for children
starting there (reserving a locker, paying for a trip that happens in
the first weeks of September, etc.) where payment has to be made in
June/July, but your child won't be on the on-line payment system until
they start there in September and they won't accept cash. I suppose it
is possible that they'd accept a postal order (assuming that those still
exist).

Those going on about cheques being no longer needed should explain how,
for example, in our village, the local church, or village hall, or
Gardeners' Society can accept payment *other* than by cheque.

cash?

Especially when some fraction of those attending, booking, or being
members of these entities do not have and are not interested in having,
access to the Internet.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 7 July 2017 10:09:49 UTC+1, charles wrote:
Those going on about cheques being no longer needed should explain how,
for example, in our village, the local church, or village hall, or
Gardeners' Society can accept payment *other* than by cheque.

cash?

That requires people (who might not be the Treasurer etc) to receive cash on behalf of the group, keep it safe, account for its receipt, and eventually pay it into the bank -- which might be miles away.

Cheques can be paid into many bank accounts through the Post Office, but I think not cash.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Friday, 7 July 2017 10:09:49 UTC+1, charles wrote:
Those going on about cheques being no longer needed should explain
how, for example, in our village, the local church, or village hall,
or Gardeners' Society can accept payment *other* than by cheque.

cash?

That requires people (who might not be the Treasurer etc) to receive cash
on behalf of the group, keep it safe, account for its receipt, and
eventually pay it into the bank -- which might be miles away.

Indeed so, but thats what a great mny small organisations do, particularly
at monthly meetings. People don't write out cheques for the £4 entry fee,
nor for the few pounds they might pay for the odd plant.

Cheques can be paid into many bank accounts through the Post Office, but
I think not cash.

So, you write out your own cheque and pay that in ( keeping the cash and
saving a personal trip to the bank).

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
Those going on about cheques being no longer needed should explain how,
for example, in our village, the local church, or village hall, or
Gardeners' Society can accept payment *other* than by cheque.

Do they have bank accounts? If so, all sorts of options.

Especially when some fraction of those attending, booking, or being
members of these entities do not have and are not interested in having,
access to the Internet.

Cash is the obvious one. Anyone who uses cheques will still be very
familiar with it.

--
*This message has been ROT-13 encrypted twice for extra security *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
Those going on about cheques being no longer needed should explain how,
for example, in our village, the local church, or village hall, or
Gardeners' Society can accept payment *other* than by cheque.

Do they have bank accounts? If so, all sorts of options.

Especially when some fraction of those attending, booking, or being
members of these entities do not have and are not interested in having,
access to the Internet.

Cash is the obvious one. Anyone who uses cheques will still be very
familiar with it.

Yes but many people don't use cash for things as much as they used to,
because shops etc will accept plastic. I'm unusual that because I get paid
in cash, I tend to have more on me than many people (because of the
difficulty of getting to the bank). Many people would have to withdraw cash
specially to pay those bills. And it's very unwise to send cash by post
whereas cheque is a lot more secure if you can't pay the bill in person.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
NY wrote:
Especially when some fraction of those attending, booking, or being
members of these entities do not have and are not interested in having,
access to the Internet.

Cash is the obvious one. Anyone who uses cheques will still be very
familiar with it.

Yes but many people don't use cash for things as much as they used to,
because shops etc will accept plastic.

True. And in many of those shops, they'd once have paid by cheque, with a
bank card.

I'm unusual that because I get
paid in cash, I tend to have more on me than many people (because of the
difficulty of getting to the bank).

The difficulty in getting to a bank these days means electronic payment
even more attractive.

Many people would have to withdraw
cash specially to pay those bills.

Is that a problem anywhere? I can't see many living in a village etc able
to live without cash.

And it's very unwise to send cash by
post whereas cheque is a lot more secure if you can't pay the bill in
person.

Sending a cheque by post adds to the cost.

--
*All generalizations are false.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking Dave Plowman (News) wrote :
Is that a problem anywhere? I can't see many living in a village etc able
to live without cash.

Most/all places now have access to an ATM for cash. They put them in
pubs, garages and shops etc..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

After serious thinking Dave Plowman (News) wrote :
Is that a problem anywhere? I can't see many living in a village etc
able to live without cash.

Most/all places now have access to an ATM for cash. They put them in
pubs, garages and shops etc..

Our village has no pub, no garage, no shop.

how about getting one in the Church hall?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 7 July 2017 15:18:49 UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Most/all places now have access to an ATM for cash. They put them in
pubs, garages and shops etc..

And some of them charge over £1.50, which makes getting a tenner out now and then extraordinarily expensive.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 07 Jul 2017 10:26:32 +0100, NY wrote:
[...]

The main problem with BACS and CHAPS is the poor security. AFAICR, they
need Windows Vista (of all systems!) to run on and that hasn't been
supported and patched for quite a while now. It's a **** poor state of
affairs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/7/2017 3:18 PM, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
After serious thinking Dave Plowman (News) wrote :
Is that a problem anywhere? I can't see many living in a village etc able
to live without cash.

Most/all places now have access to an ATM for cash. They put them in
pubs, garages and shops etc..

My nearest ATM is about 40 miles away...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
On 2017-07-07, charles wrote:
wrote:

After serious thinking Dave Plowman (News) wrote :
Is that a problem anywhere? I can't see many living in a village etc
able to live without cash.

Most/all places now have access to an ATM for cash. They put them in
pubs, garages and shops etc..

Our village has no pub, no garage, no shop.

how about getting one in the Church hall?

No church hall.

Is there a church? If not, you live in a hamlet not a village. is there
any public building? Parish room? Village Hall?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

After serious thinking Dave Plowman (News) wrote :
Is that a problem anywhere? I can't see many living in a village etc able
to live without cash.

Most/all places now have access to an ATM for cash. They put them in
pubs, garages and shops etc..

Our village has no pub, no garage, no shop.

You could ask the EU for a grant to get some of these essentials.

--
*A woman drove me to drink and I didn't have the decency to thank her

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2017 02:05, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 6 Jul 2017 12:14:51 +0100, Nightjar wrote:

I keep a cheque book for the rare occasion where a small group

needs
money but doesn't handle electronic cash.

Most accounts can accept a bank transfer (BACS) even if the account
holder has no electronic banking facility.

I probably write 3 or 4 a year, tops.

I last wrote one in May 2016.

Oct 2015, before that Dec 2012.

I wrote one to myself and posted it to Santander, this being the only
way to open a bond (apparently)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08-Jul-17 7:43 AM, Stuart Noble wrote:
On 07/07/2017 02:05, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 6 Jul 2017 12:14:51 +0100, Nightjar wrote:

I keep a cheque book for the rare occasion where a small group

needs
money but doesn't handle electronic cash.

Most accounts can accept a bank transfer (BACS) even if the account
holder has no electronic banking facility.

I probably write 3 or 4 a year, tops.

I last wrote one in May 2016.

Oct 2015, before that Dec 2012.

I wrote one to myself and posted it to Santander, this being the only
way to open a bond (apparently)

Mine was similarly to my bank to open a bond. It seems they can't do an
electronic transfer to an account that does not yet exist.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Nightjar wrote:
On 08-Jul-17 7:43 AM, Stuart Noble wrote:
On 07/07/2017 02:05, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 6 Jul 2017 12:14:51 +0100, Nightjar wrote:

I keep a cheque book for the rare occasion where a small group
needs
money but doesn't handle electronic cash.

Most accounts can accept a bank transfer (BACS) even if the account
holder has no electronic banking facility.

I probably write 3 or 4 a year, tops.

I last wrote one in May 2016.

Oct 2015, before that Dec 2012.

I wrote one to myself and posted it to Santander, this being the only
way to open a bond (apparently)

Mine was similarly to my bank to open a bond. It seems they can't do an
electronic transfer to an account that does not yet exist.

last autumn, I opened an account with BoS and once I received the details,
was able to transfer money to it electronically.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 08 Jul 2017 09:21:46 +0100, Nightjar wrote:

On 08-Jul-17 7:43 AM, Stuart Noble wrote:
On 07/07/2017 02:05, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 6 Jul 2017 12:14:51 +0100, Nightjar wrote:

I keep a cheque book for the rare occasion where a small group
needs
money but doesn't handle electronic cash.

Most accounts can accept a bank transfer (BACS) even if the account
holder has no electronic banking facility.

I probably write 3 or 4 a year, tops.

I last wrote one in May 2016.

Oct 2015, before that Dec 2012.

I wrote one to myself and posted it to Santander, this being the only
way to open a bond (apparently)

Mine was similarly to my bank to open a bond. It seems they can't do an
electronic transfer to an account that does not yet exist.

Hmmm. I opened an account with Kent Reliance last week. Created the
account, got the details and transferred in the initial deposit. Took
about ten minutes in all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .

Our village has no pub, no garage, no shop.

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .

Yes to church and Village Hall. I already indicated the unsuitability
of our VH to host an ATM. You could break in with a tin opener.

Stone me.

If a village has no pub, no garage, and no shop WTF does it need an ATM for ?

As I very much doubt that the High Street in Midsomer Streater, or wherever it
is, is lined with drug dealers or prozzies, somehow.

Normal business practice is to locate ATMs in places where people are
are most likely to need cash, or put the other way round, the places where
people are likely to need cash are the most likely places to find
an ATM.

There are ptobably laboratory chimpanzees capable of working that
one for themselves, if you could actually design the experiment and had
enough bananas.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/07/2017 10:46, michael adams wrote:
[...]

The trouble is that you often find that you need cash when you are at
home - kids need money for the bus ticket to school; window or
wheelie-bin cleaner needs paying; kids need cash for some event
happening at school the next day, etc.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default So far OT - cheque books 1

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
news
[...]

Well yes. Maybe I didn't express myself very clearly. When I said
places where "people" are likely to need cash I wasn't really
referring to particular individuals who might run out of cash at
home. As obviously banks aren't going to install ATM's outside
of people's houses.

And another problem with ATM's is they only dispense notes. Usually
£20's but ocassionally £10's if you're lucky. The problem with
paying window cleaners wheelie bin cleaners etc is they expect
payment when the job is done. But there's no guarentee that
they'll have change for your £10 or £20 note. Which can create
an awkward situation which is best avoided if at all possible.
Obviously if they charge less, say £6, and you've only got
£4 in change then a tenner out of an ATM is no real help.

Same with the school bus, although a lot of its done on line
nowadays with the child picking up passes at the school. As to
individual tickets most drivers won't give change for a tenner.
But neither will they abandon the child by the bus stop but
will probably take their details and possibly recover the fare
from the parents through the school. Which obviously places
unnecessary stress on the child, by again placing it in an
awkward situation.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 08/07/2017 10:46, michael adams wrote:
"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .

Our village has no pub, no garage, no shop.

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .

Yes to church and Village Hall. I already indicated the unsuitability
of our VH to host an ATM. You could break in with a tin opener.

Stone me.

If a village has no pub, no garage, and no shop WTF does it need an ATM for ?

Good question. But then it wasn't me suggesting it. Do keep up.

Yes, but the reasons for not having one are the ones you yourself already stated.

Our village has no pub, no garage, no shop

So WTF have tin openers got to do with it ?

In the matter of ATM's It doesn't really matter whether your Village Hall is a corrugated
iron
shack or is built like Fort Knox. Does it ?

Do keep up.

I am keeping up. I read the first post of yours which gave the reasons why your village
has no ATM. And then I read a subsequent post where seemingly having forgotten all
about that you then launch into a totally irrelevent aside about the unsuitability of
your
village hall owing to its vulnerability to tin openers.

Basically the chimpanzee experiment, which you won't know about of course
could easily simulate this this using big coloured buttons and logic gates. Not
forgetting the bananas.

michael adams

michael adams

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , michael
adams wrote:

[...]

our window cleaner expects to be paid by BACS. It helps his accounting.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08-Jul-17 10:13 AM, Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

Was that an investment bond account though?

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles posted
And another problem with ATM's is they only dispense notes. Usually £20's
but ocassionally £10's if you're lucky. The problem with paying window
cleaners

our window cleaner expects to be paid by BACS. It helps his accounting.

How is it more helpful than a cheque in that respect?

--
Jack
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Handsome Jack wrote:
charles posted
And another problem with ATM's is they only dispense notes. Usually
£20's but ocassionally £10's if you're lucky. The problem with paying
window cleaners

our window cleaner expects to be paid by BACS. It helps his accounting.

How is it more helpful than a cheque in that respect?

A BACS payment is itemised with references on a bank statement - a cheque
is simply listed by number; further reference documents are needed to see
where it originated. Also, cheques cost nearly £1 to process on a business
account.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
michael adams wrote:
And another problem with ATM's is they only dispense notes. Usually
£20's but ocassionally £10's if you're lucky. The problem with
paying window cleaners wheelie bin cleaners etc is they expect
payment when the job is done. But there's no guarentee that
they'll have change for your £10 or £20 note. Which can create
an awkward situation which is best avoided if at all possible.
Obviously if they charge less, say £6, and you've only got
£4 in change then a tenner out of an ATM is no real help.

Perhaps we need a DIY Wiki on cash and how to manage it.

Things like remembering to get some when running low. Every supermarket
I've seen has an ATM. Keeping change at home for when it may be needed.

Of course I am assuming most on here ain't on the breadline. Where they
can't afford to have a few quid in cash lying around for when it's needed.

--
*You! Off my planet!

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 09 Jul 2017 15:33:34 +0100
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

Things like remembering to get some when running low. Every
supermarket I've seen has an ATM.

And will give Cash Back if you buy something and use a card. Then you
can avoid the things they slip into ATM slots to steal your card
information.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote:
And another problem with ATM's is they only dispense notes. Usually
£20's but ocassionally £10's if you're lucky. The problem with paying
window cleaners wheelie bin cleaners etc is they expect payment when
the job is done. But there's no guarentee that they'll have change for
your £10 or £20 note. Which can create an awkward situation which is
best avoided if at all possible. Obviously if they charge less, say £6,
and you've only got £4 in change then a tenner out of an ATM is no real
help.

Perhaps we need a DIY Wiki on cash and how to manage it.

Things like remembering to get some when running low. Every supermarket
I've seen has an ATM. Keeping change at home for when it may be needed.

Depends how often you go to the supermarket. Not often, if out in the
sticks, and many have theor groceries delivered.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 9 July 2017 15:43:14 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Of course I am assuming most on here ain't on the breadline. Where they
can't afford to have a few quid in cash lying around for when it's needed..

It's people on the breadline who most need an emergency reserve, but they'd probably spend it on beer and fags, then go to a payday loan company.

I had a neighbour ask if they could borrow a phone as theirs had no credit.

They then proceeded to phone a takeaway for a home delivery munchie box.

I always keep a spare £20 tucked into the driving licence :-)

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote:
And another problem with ATM's is they only dispense notes. Usually
£20's but ocassionally £10's if you're lucky. The problem with paying
window cleaners wheelie bin cleaners etc is they expect payment when
the job is done. But there's no guarentee that they'll have change for
your £10 or £20 note. Which can create an awkward situation which is
best avoided if at all possible. Obviously if they charge less, say £6,
and you've only got £4 in change then a tenner out of an ATM is no real
help.

Perhaps we need a DIY Wiki on cash and how to manage it.

Things like remembering to get some when running low. Every supermarket
I've seen has an ATM. Keeping change at home for when it may be needed.

Depends how often you go to the supermarket. Not often, if out in the
sticks, and many have theor groceries delivered.

There are systems that allow you to pay to any mobile number,
very widely used in the 3rd world instead of cash, and they work
fine in the first and second world too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 09/07/17 17:13, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sun, 09 Jul 2017 15:33:34 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Things like remembering to get some when running low. Every supermarket
I've seen has an ATM. Keeping change at home for when it may be needed.

Depends how often you go to the supermarket. Not often, if out in the
sticks, and many have theor groceries delivered.

Out in the sticks here the village shop does cash-back.

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

Things like remembering to get some when running low. Every
supermarket I've seen has an ATM.

And will give Cash Back if you buy something and use a card.

Ours are happy to just give cash, no purchase required and
the supermarket self checkouts even have two separate initial
buttons on the screen, shopping and cash withdrawal only.

Then you can avoid the things they slip into
ATM slots to steal your card information.

And there are a lot more machines in the selfcheckout
area than with ATMs too, so there is more likely to be
a free machine available and so no queue too.