Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Trigonometry vs. woodworking - How far is too far?

It's interesting to see someone taking something that I try to avoid
where possible - basing my cuts on measurements and calculations, heavy
reliance on perfectly dimensioned stock - and going over the top with
it. The guy wants to make some simple stacking sawhorses:

http://pervivere.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-stuff.html

Of course, he did get just the product he wanted, and obviously this is
fun for him.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Gordon Airporte wrote:
Of course, he did get just the product he wanted, and obviously this is
fun for him.

I think it's fun too. Thanks for posting.

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 22:33:30 -0400, Gordon Airporte
wrote:

It's interesting to see someone taking something that I try to avoid
where possible - basing my cuts on measurements and calculations, heavy
reliance on perfectly dimensioned stock - and going over the top with
it. The guy wants to make some simple stacking sawhorses:

http://pervivere.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-stuff.html

Of course, he did get just the product he wanted, and obviously this is
fun for him.

He's too in love with his math to see it was a waste of time even when
someone pointed it out to him, and doesn't seem to quite grasp what
parallel means.

But that's the beauty of woodworking, you can go about things all
ass-backwards and not see the forest through the trees and still end
up with something right. There's just usually more cursing and fixing
that this guy had to go through. Not that I would know anything about
that.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

http://pervivere.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-stuff.html

Of course, he did get just the product he wanted, and obviously this is
fun for him.

I've yet to see a metric 2x4. Where did he get them? Or are they
really 2x4 (1 1/2 x 3 1/2 nominal) . Every time I buy wood in inches,
I lay it all out in inches particularly when my tooling is in inches .

It is a neat simple design though.

Pete
Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

wrote in message ...

I've yet to see a metric 2x4. Where did he get them?

Look at the pictures. Ever seen Parfix glue around here? Look at the box in
the background. Healthy choice cholesterol free something. 13mm strait cut.
Look at the text. Do you spell mitre or miter? Rebate or rabbet? Could be
the UK going by the above but he stated prices in dollars. That says
Australia.

Or are they
really 2x4 (1 1/2 x 3 1/2 nominal) . Every time I buy wood in inches,
I lay it all out in inches particularly when my tooling is in inches .

It is a neat simple design though.

Pete

Posted to rec.woodworking

I do not think it is a very good design.
There is very little wood left between where the legs are attached to
the horizontal member.
The cleat strengthens that up a bit. It would be a much better build if
a piece of 2x6 was used for the horizontal bit.

Just a hunch.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 23 Sep 2006 03:06:50 -0700, "Robatoy" wrote:

I do not think it is a very good design.
There is very little wood left between where the legs are attached to
the horizontal member.
The cleat strengthens that up a bit. It would be a much better build if
a piece of 2x6 was used for the horizontal bit.

Just a hunch.

I worked with a crew once that used a similar design that used 1x6
pine for the legs, and a 1/4" ply gusset on each end. Like you, I
thought it was a poor design, but I saw a whole lot of lumber piled on
those things time after time, and they seemed to hold up ok. As with
anything, the older ones were a little rough looking, but for the cost
of materials and the average use a saw horse gets, the design is a
good balance of cost and value.

That being said, my personal horses are all the steel folding type.
$20 apeice doesn't seem excessive for the convenience and load rating
on them. Having a small stack of steel boxes with 2x4s screwed to the
top takes up a whole lot less space than any other design I've seen.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Prometheus wrote:
snip
That being said, my personal horses are all the steel folding type.
$20 apeice doesn't seem excessive for the convenience and load rating
on them. Having a small stack of steel boxes with 2x4s screwed to the
top takes up a whole lot less space than any other design I've seen.

I've had good luck with Trojans.
http://www.trojantools.com/sawhorse/index.htm

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

It's interesting to see someone taking something that I try to avoid
where possible - basing my cuts on measurements and calculations, heavy
reliance on perfectly dimensioned stock - and going over the top with
it. The guy wants to make some simple stacking sawhorses:

http://pervivere.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-stuff.html

Of course, he did get just the product he wanted, and obviously this is
fun for him.

He's too in love with his math to see it was a waste of time even when
someone pointed it out to him, and doesn't seem to quite grasp what
parallel means.

Most of hobby woodworking is a waste of time, depending on your definition
of waste. For some of us the math IS as much fun as the woodworking,
especially when both are done together and done right. (Done wrong and it
can be a nightmare!)

I did the same thing when I built my shed, since I didn't have clue one how
to build a roof. It was blazing hot outside so I spent the time before
breakfast indoors, deriving all the angles and measurements I'd need for the
day. Then I went outside and made the cuts and assembled them. My father,
who was there to help, told me my brother-in-law carpenter school graduate
was taught to make a template by trial and error. I wasted time, not wood,
and my birdsmouths were in the correct spot and correct angle, and I kept my
trigonometry fresh for the next project. I wasn't trying to impress anyone,
just get the job done. I learned later that my father was really impressed
and that meant more to me than anything.

- Owen -

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
I've had good luck with Trojans.

Good for you. Carried a Trojan in my wallet all through high school unused.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 08:27:54 -0400, "Owen Lawrence"
wrote:

[...]

And he should be. It's one thing to say, well there's probably an
easier way of doing this, but I'm going to stick with what I know and
it'll get done right the first time. It's another thing entirely to
make a false assumption at the beginning, come up with an elegant
solution to a non-existent problem and then be so in love with your
solution that you miss the obvious. And it need not be a math
solution that gets you in trouble. You could, for example, and I'm
just making this up mind you, think that there's going to be a problem
with a joint somewhere in a project and then come up with a really
cool solution to avoid the problem. And then when you go put the
thing together it doesn't actually meet the way you thought it was
going to and your elegant solution that you spent hours coming up with
is actually weaker than if you'd just butted the pieces together and
nailed it. Not that that has ever happened to me. Nope, not ever.

-Leuf

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Yeah, me neither. Like the time I didn't plan all these extra corner braces
for my drill press stand. I didn't start to put it together to find that
there just wasn't room for them. (That was back before scale drawings had
been invented.) Nope, I just went ahead and built it without them, having
not even thought about putting them in, and found that it was strong enough
to hold three drillpresses without them. It took less time to build and
design than if I had ever considered such a thing, which I didn't, because
that would have been an embarrassing waste of time.

- Owen -

Posted to rec.woodworking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Jay Pique" wrote in message
I've had good luck with Trojans.

Good for you. Carried a Trojan in my wallet all through high school unused.

....and like me, you were prepared to roll it onto your finger at a
moment's notice?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 23 Sep 2006 05:09:48 -0700, "Jay Pique"
wrote:

Prometheus wrote:
snip
That being said, my personal horses are all the steel folding type.
$20 apeice doesn't seem excessive for the convenience and load rating
on them. Having a small stack of steel boxes with 2x4s screwed to the
top takes up a whole lot less space than any other design I've seen.

I've had good luck with Trojans.
http://www.trojantools.com/sawhorse/index.htm

Mine are similar to these:
http://www.amazon.com/HTC-PM3300-Fol...3?ie=UTF8&s=hi
but they have adjustable legs.

I guess I must have bought them on sale- Amazon wants a lot more for
them than $20, anyhow.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

It's interesting to see someone taking something that I try to avoid
where possible - basing my cuts on measurements and calculations, heavy
reliance on perfectly dimensioned stock - and going over the top with
it. The guy wants to make some simple stacking sawhorses:

http://pervivere.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-stuff.html

Of course, he did get just the product he wanted, and obviously this is
fun for him.

Nice. Math was my strongest subject in college and it comes in handy
at times in the shop. My two sawhorses were made from ShopNotes. They
are collapsible and adjustable, made from 2x6 and 2x4 lumber, knobs,
and some hardware. I use them a lot.

The Woodworking Channel gary in virginia Woodworking 19 April 16th 06 08:48 AM
The Woodworking Channel? Arch Woodturning 18 March 29th 06 03:29 PM
FA; eBay: Woodworking books videos Zak Woodturning 9 October 23rd 04 04:38 AM
FAQ Marlene & John Schwab Woodworking 2 October 23rd 03 01:47 AM
SF Bay Area Woodworking Open House Jeff Woodworking 1 August 3rd 03 01:10 AM