Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Or not. tower fire...

they are going on about "did it have sprinklers now"....can you imagine
sprinklers in X kooncil flats? .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 14 June 2017 08:13:10 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
they are going on about "did it have sprinklers now"....can you imagine
sprinklers in X kooncil flats? .....

The building doesn't appear to even have had fire alarms

Only last November residents were still concerned.

https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpres...ing-with-fire/

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Wednesday, 14 June 2017 08:13:10 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
they are going on about "did it have sprinklers now"....can you imagine
sprinklers in X kooncil flats? .....

The building doesn't appear to even have had fire alarms

Only last November residents were still concerned.

https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpres...ing-with-fire/

Owain

I don't think any high flats had fire alarms just mains powered smoke
alarms ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/06/2017 08:13, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
they are going on about "did it have sprinklers now"....can you imagine
sprinklers in X kooncil flats? .....

Why not?

are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Andy Burns
escribió:

It has a dry riser that requires a fire tender to park directly at the
base of the tower to pressurise hydrants on each floor, but presumably
that requires fire fighters to enter the building and fight it from inside?

Which may have been difficult:

https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpres...8/fire-safety-
scandal-at-lancaster-west/

--
(\_/)
(")_(") the one I never tried before." - Mae West
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

It has a dry riser that requires a fire tender to park directly at the
base of the tower to pressurise hydrants on each floor

Which may have been difficult:

https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpres...8/fire-safety-
scandal-at-lancaster-west/

Yes I saw that, in a building where there's a single entrance/exit
that's required for emergency access, it's no use slapping wrists and
issuing parking tickets, get a tow-truck there *every* time someone
blocks the access.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
news
On 14/06/2017 08:13, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
they are going on about "did it have sprinklers now"....can you imagine
sprinklers in X kooncil flats? .....

Why not?

Council tenants don't appreciate their rented properties in general and
would use the damage caused by such convnient damage causing devices to
achieve their ultimate goal which is..."want own front and back door"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Andy Burns
escribió:

It has a dry riser that requires a fire tender to park directly at the
base of the tower to pressurise hydrants on each floor, but presumably
that requires fire fighters to enter the building and fight it from inside?

following on from that, and after looking at the community action group
website, it's perfectly clear that in about 2013 emergency access to the
north side of the tower from Lancaster Road/Silchester Road, a small car
park and three football pitches, was blocked by removal of the car park
and courts and construction of an "academy".

The Grenfell residents' association complained about this to no effect,
their main concern being that access to the tower in emergencies was now
only possible from the narrow Grenfell Road which was frequently
obstructed by illegal parking.

Google Earth's historical view facility makes this /very/ clear.

--
(\_/)
(")_(") the one I never tried before." - Mae West
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson wrote:

The Grenfell residents' association complained about this to no effect,
their main concern being that access to the tower in emergencies was now
only possible from the narrow Grenfell Road which was frequently
obstructed by illegal parking.

Though lets be honest, fire appliances have front "bumpers" made from
steel box girders, so would soon bump a transit out of the way if
necessary ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Andy Burns
escribió:

Though lets be honest, fire appliances have front "bumpers" made from
steel box girders, so would soon bump a transit out of the way if
necessary ...

Grauniad (I know...) report from someone who was the

"A car had been left in the middle of the road and nobody knew who the
driver was, so the fire engines and ambulances couldn't get through"

maybe there was just no space to shove it into.

--
(\_/)
(")_(") the one I never tried before." - Mae West
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 14 June 2017 11:21:08 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
Mike Tomlinson wrote:

The Grenfell residents' association complained about this to no effect,
their main concern being that access to the tower in emergencies was now
only possible from the narrow Grenfell Road which was frequently
obstructed by illegal parking.

Though lets be honest, fire appliances have front "bumpers" made from
steel box girders, so would soon bump a transit out of the way if
necessary ...

but too afraid to get sued out of everything to ever do it. Might require a legal change.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson wrote:

The Grenfell residents' association complained about this to no effect,
their main concern being that access to the tower in emergencies was now
only possible from the narrow Grenfell Road which was frequently
obstructed by illegal parking.

Though lets be honest, fire appliances have front "bumpers" made from
steel box girders, so would soon bump a transit out of the way if
necessary ...

but too afraid to get sued out of everything to ever do it. Might require a legal change.

The only time I have seen the situation arise. Car parked on a fire
access point and fire engine wanting access for a 999 call the guy
engaged low gear inched up to the cars bumper and shunted it ahead of
him doing surprisingly little damage to the car in the process.

In this situation I'd support them totalling the obstructing car to
enable high pressure water pumping to the dry risers. It is only bent
metal against dozens of lives of people trapped in a burning building.

Of course. But I bet the law would cause the fire truck driver to be sued for the damage.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson wrote:

[...]

the merrycans don't mess about ......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 6/14/2017 2:45 PM, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Martin Brown" wrote in message
news
Mike Tomlinson wrote:

[...]

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bl...w=1280&bih=601

Not strictly necessary to go through two windows in most cases, I would
have thought. One rather suspects that the firemen enjoy doing that. And
so would I.

they obviously have good taste as they spared that mustang ...

http://1y4yclbm79aqghpm1xoezrdw.wpen...26-620x370.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 14 June 2017 14:59:30 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
tabbypurr wrote in message
[...]

I don't know what the legal position is here, but we ought to have a law permitting fire & ambulance to damage things if necessary to access life saving measures. I'd bet no such provision exists.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/06/2017 11:25, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artÃ*culo , Andy Burns
escribió:

Though lets be honest, fire appliances have front "bumpers" made from
steel box girders, so would soon bump a transit out of the way if
necessary ...

Grauniad (I know...) report from someone who was the

"A car had been left in the middle of the road and nobody knew who the
driver was, so the fire engines and ambulances couldn't get through"

maybe there was just no space to shove it into.

Then a bunch of firemen will bounce it or even pick it up and move it -
I've seen it done. No excuse for parking in a way that blocks a road though.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote in message
[...]

Possibly this, though I'm not sure how it applies under English law:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necessity_(criminal_law)

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote in message
[...]

That would make it not criminal, but doesn't remove liability.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 14 June 2017 21:14:27 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:

I don't know what the legal position is here, but we ought to have a
law permitting fire & ambulance to damage things if necessary to
access life saving measures. I'd bet no such provision exists.

Thankfully, you lose :-P

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2004/21/section/44

An employee of a fire and rescue authority who is authorised in writing
by the authority for the purposes of this section may do anything he
reasonably believes to be necessary

if he reasonably believes a fire to have broken out or to be about to
break out, for the purpose of extinguishing or preventing the fire or
protecting life or property;

In particular, an employee of a fire and rescue authority who is
authorised as mentioned in subsection (1) may under that subsection

move or break into a vehicle without the consent of its owner;

That doesn't cut it. What's needed is a law that permits
a) a vehicle to be damaged (eg rammed out the way)
b) no liability for doing it.
Until those are there, almost no firefighter wold want to bankrupt themselves to save lives by doing this.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote in message
[...]

How about this for a possible solution?
A sign on the access road saying:
CRUSH ZONE
You may park here for 20 minutes max
If emergency access is required your vehicle may be damaged or destroyed without recompense.

Then all you need is a ramming fire truck. People can park there if they want, and they know the price.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote:

[...]

A fully laden fire engine just engages a low gear and moves forward
slowly it doesn't need to ram anything to move it out of the way. A few
scratches and bumper dints was all they did to the one I saw.

b) no liability for doing it.
Until those are there, almost no firefighter wold want to bankrupt themselves to save lives by doing this.

ISTR firemen of my acquaintance reckon they are already immune if they
are doing what they deem necessary to save lives or put out a fire.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote:

[...]

That doesn't fly in a narrow access road as at Grenfell tower. Lack of space means cars would inevitably get seriously damaged if the fire tender is to get through.

And how long does it take to very slowly push tens of cars out the way? Not that there is anywhere to push them to with Grenfell, one would have to squash them out the way or push them through the railings, with obviously considerable damage.

b) no liability for doing it.
Until those are there, almost no firefighter wold want to bankrupt themselves to save lives by doing this.

ISTR firemen of my acquaintance reckon they are already immune if they
are doing what they deem necessary to save lives or put out a fire.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote:

[...]

c) Immunity from murder charge if there is a driver in the vehicle who
refuses to move.

I can't see what that has to do with it. Unless you're proposing ramming be done at high speed en masse! Running speed ought to be enough.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 14 June 2017 08:35:05 UTC+1, wrote:
On Wednesday, 14 June 2017 08:13:10 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
they are going on about "did it have sprinklers now"....can you imagine
sprinklers in X kooncil flats? .....

The building doesn't appear to even have had fire alarms

Only last November residents were still concerned.

https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpres...ing-with-fire/

Owain

One of my first jobs when I moved to Stoke was o claad a roof with celotex and mdf. I don't think that fire precautions ever occurred to anyone.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/17 05:06, Weatherlawyer wrote:
On Wednesday, 14 June 2017 08:35:05 UTC+1, wrote:
On Wednesday, 14 June 2017 08:13:10 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
they are going on about "did it have sprinklers now"....can you imagine
sprinklers in X kooncil flats? .....

The building doesn't appear to even have had fire alarms

Only last November residents were still concerned.

https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpres...ing-with-fire/

Owain

One of my first jobs when I moved to Stoke was o claad a roof with celotex and mdf. I don't think that fire precautions ever occurred to anyone.

celotex is not flammable. Polyethylene foam faced with thin zinc or
aluminium is very flammable

--
€œit should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
about their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and

Vaclav Klaus
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

celotex is not flammable. Polyethylene foam faced with thin zinc or
aluminium is very flammable

And the flames from the PE will burn away the PIR foam, generating huge
volumes of nasty smoke ... would the alu get hot enough to burn, or
would it have melted and fallen away before then?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote in message
[...]

All New Zealand motorway patrol cars have 'rubber-faced roo bars'
on the front, which they use to push damaged cars off the
highway.