Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Or not. tower fire...

On 15/06/2017 01:36, wrote:
On Wednesday, 14 June 2017 20:59:10 UTC+1, Max Demian wrote:
On 14/06/2017 19:39, tabbypurr wrote:
On Wednesday, 14 June 2017 14:59:30 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
tabbypurr wrote in message
On Wednesday, 14 June 2017 14:35:49 UTC+1, Martin Brown wrote:
On 14/06/2017 13:54, tabbypurr wrote:
On Wednesday, 14 June 2017 11:21:08 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:

Though lets be honest, fire appliances have front "bumpers" made from
steel box girders, so would soon bump a transit out of the way if
necessary ...

but too afraid to get sued out of everything to ever do it. Might
require a legal change.

The only time I have seen the situation arise. Car parked on a fire
access point and fire engine wanting access for a 999 call the guy
engaged low gear inched up to the cars bumper and shunted it ahead of
him doing surprisingly little damage to the car in the process.

In this situation I'd support them totalling the obstructing car to
enable high pressure water pumping to the dry risers. It is only bent
metal against dozens of lives of people trapped in a burning building.

Of course. But I bet the law would cause the fire truck driver to be sued
for the damage.

NT
the merrycans don't mess about ......

I don't know what the legal position is here, but we ought to have a law permitting fire & ambulance to damage things if necessary to access life saving measures. I'd bet no such provision exists.

Possibly this, though I'm not sure how it applies under English law:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necessity_(criminal_law)

How about this for a possible solution?
A sign on the access road saying:
CRUSH ZONE
You may park here for 20 minutes max
If emergency access is required your vehicle may be damaged or destroyed without recompense.

Then all you need is a ramming fire truck. People can park there if they want, and they know the price.

NT

All New Zealand motorway patrol cars have 'rubber-faced roo bars'
on the front, which they use to push damaged cars off the
highway.