Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Or not. tower fire...

wrote:

I don't know what the legal position is here, but we ought to have a
law permitting fire & ambulance to damage things if necessary to
access life saving measures. I'd bet no such provision exists.

Thankfully, you lose :-P

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2004/21/section/44

An employee of a fire and rescue authority who is authorised in writing
by the authority for the purposes of this section may do anything he
reasonably believes to be necessary

if he reasonably believes a fire to have broken out or to be about to
break out, for the purpose of extinguishing or preventing the fire or
protecting life or property;

In particular, an employee of a fire and rescue authority who is
authorised as mentioned in subsection (1) may under that subsection

move or break into a vehicle without the consent of its owner;