Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing a fan light.

I'm replacing the fanlight above the front door with new frosted glass
with the house number engraved on it.

Suggestions on how to remove the old glass safely. I'm not an experience
glazier.

The obvious way is to just smash it out - but am concerned with damage to
surrounding things by the falling glass.

--
*Horn broken. - Watch for finger.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm replacing the fanlight above the front door with new frosted glass
with the house number engraved on it.

Suggestions on how to remove the old glass safely. I'm not an experience
glazier.

The obvious way is to just smash it out - but am concerned with damage to
surrounding things by the falling glass.

Isn't the obvious way to remove the putty or whatever is holding the
glass in then remove the glass in one piece?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 May 2017 14:34:38 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The obvious way is to just smash it out - but am concerned with damage
to surrounding things by the falling glass.

If you must smash it out, stick parcel tape all over it first and put a
dust sheet down to catch it.

--
TOJ.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Other John wrote:
On Fri, 26 May 2017 14:34:38 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The obvious way is to just smash it out - but am concerned with damage
to surrounding things by the falling glass.

If you must smash it out, stick parcel tape all over it first and put a
dust sheet down to catch it.

I was wondering about using tape. But I'd still rather it couldn't fall
some 3 metres or so.

--
*On the other hand, you have different fingers*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Clive George wrote:
I'm replacing the fanlight above the front door with new frosted glass
with the house number engraved on it.

Suggestions on how to remove the old glass safely. I'm not an
experience glazier.

The obvious way is to just smash it out - but am concerned with damage
to surrounding things by the falling glass.

Isn't the obvious way to remove the putty or whatever is holding the
glass in then remove the glass in one piece?

It's the obvious way, but my guess is the glass will break when hacking it
out. And since I'll be up a step ladder, would rather not have large
chunks of it flying around.

--
*Letting a cat out of the bag is easier than putting it back in *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/2017 14:40, Clive George wrote:
I'm replacing the fanlight above the front door with new frosted glass
with the house number engraved on it.

Suggestions on how to remove the old glass safely. I'm not an experience
glazier.

The obvious way is to just smash it out - but am concerned with damage to
surrounding things by the falling glass.

Isn't the obvious way to remove the putty or whatever is holding the
glass in then remove the glass in one piece?

Have you ever tried removing years old putty with a hacking knife? - #it
is very hard.

Try scoring the glass with a glass cutter and then as sugessted in
another post cover with tape (gasffer tape? before trying to break i9t
out. The scoring should give you some control pver the lies of breakage

Malcolm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

This can be a great alternative for a house number:

https://www.purlfrost.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote in
2.222:

This can be a great alternative for a house number:

https://www.purlfrost.com/

Specifically:

https://www.purlfrost.com/house-number-stickers/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clive George" wrote in message
o.uk...
I'm replacing the fanlight above the front door with new frosted glass
with the house number engraved on it.

Suggestions on how to remove the old glass safely. I'm not an experience
glazier.

The obvious way is to just smash it out - but am concerned with damage to
surrounding things by the falling glass.

Isn't the obvious way to remove the putty or whatever is holding the glass
in then remove the glass in one piece?

Assuming it was originally properly fitted with putty even if you spent all
week trying to remove it

the glass would still not come out without breaking.

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:

This can be a great alternative for a house number:

https://www.purlfrost.com/

I think Dave asked the "etched glass" question a couple of months ago

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mark wrote:

"Clive George" wrote in message
o.uk...
I'm replacing the fanlight above the front door with new frosted glass
with the house number engraved on it.

Suggestions on how to remove the old glass safely. I'm not an
experience glazier.

The obvious way is to just smash it out - but am concerned with
damage to surrounding things by the falling glass.

Isn't the obvious way to remove the putty or whatever is holding the
glass in then remove the glass in one piece?

Assuming it was originally properly fitted with putty even if you spent
all week trying to remove it

the glass would still not come out without breaking.

As I said I'm anything but a glazing expert, but this is what I'm
expecting.

Any other glass I've replaced before was easily accessible and already
broken.

-

--
*One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
DerbyBorn wrote:

This can be a great alternative for a house number:

https://www.purlfrost.com/

I think Dave asked the "etched glass" question a couple of months ago

And I've already bought the new glass with number 'etched' in. Think it
was sandblasted. It looks very nice.

I'm sure something you just stick on works for some. Here, it would fall
off the next day. Or I'd break the glass when fitting it. ;-)

--
*WHERE DO FOREST RANGERS GO TO "GET AWAY FROM IT ALL?"

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/17 17:08, DerbyBorn wrote:
DerbyBorn wrote in
2.222:

This can be a great alternative for a house number:

https://www.purlfrost.com/

Specifically:

https://www.purlfrost.com/house-number-stickers/

How are they an alternative to house numbers?

They ARE ****ing house numbers FFS!

Lucas Bergkamp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 26/05/2017, Dave Plowman (News) supposed :
I'm sure something you just stick on works for some. Here, it would fall
off the next day. Or I'd break the glass when fitting it. ;-)

I did the hall side window and stair top window with some patterned
frosted film, because they were over looked. I did them 12 months ago,
with some film from China and they are fine.

Idea was to avoid having to draw curtains all the time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Brian Gaff
writes
Stick it together with plenty of sticky tape when you break it.

Yes, if I couldn't get it out in one piece, I would cover the outside
with parcel tape then 'it it wiv me 'ammer from the inside, with a large
dust sheet or (better) plastic tarpaulin outside, to catch the bits.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
Stick it together with plenty of sticky tape when you break it.

That does seem the logical way. But was hoping someone had done something
similar where they wanted to make sure shards of glass couldn't damage the
surrounding area, and would have chapter and verse on how to.

Perhaps I'd have got a better answer on a group called 'UK Politics' or
whatever. ;-)

--
*Failure is not an option. It's bundled with your software.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
Stick it together with plenty of sticky tape when you break it.

That does seem the logical way. But was hoping someone had done something
similar where they wanted to make sure shards of glass couldn't damage the
surrounding area, and would have chapter and verse on how to.

Perhaps I'd have got a better answer on a group called 'UK Politics' or
whatever. ;-)

The houses around here are mostly not as grand as yours so the fanlights
above the doors are mostly rectangular and unassuming. Over the years
I've seen the glass removed in a few ways[1]. FWIW the one that
impressed me most was an old bloke who (a) put tape on both sides of the
glass, (b) put down drop sheets and then loads of old newspaper on them
inside and out, (c) then put a large cardboard box on that, outside the
door, (d) donned visor and hard hat and (e) applied punch from inside
(with the door shut). But then I subscribe to the "but am I paranoid
enough?" school.

[1] though so far not with an angle grinder: do you fancy adding to the
Wiki a report on how a disc for cutting glass tiles works on window glass?
--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 27 May 2017 10:38:11 UTC+1, Graeme wrote:
In message , Brian Gaff
writes
Stick it together with plenty of sticky tape when you break it.

Yes, if I couldn't get it out in one piece, I would cover the outside
with parcel tape then 'it it wiv me 'ammer from the inside, with a large
dust sheet or (better) plastic tarpaulin outside, to catch the bits.

Sharp bits of broken glass will evade all cleanup attempts whatever you do, so a second cleanup a day or 2 later is required.

FWIW I'm not seeing much upside in tape.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/05/17 10:27, Graeme wrote:
In message , Brian Gaff
writes
Stick it together with plenty of sticky tape when you break it.

Yes, if I couldn't get it out in one piece, I would cover the outside
with parcel tape then 'it it wiv me 'ammer from the inside, with a large
dust sheet or (better) plastic tarpaulin outside, to catch the bits.

Fablon is your friend

too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Robin wrote:
In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
Stick it together with plenty of sticky tape when you break it.

That does seem the logical way. But was hoping someone had done something
similar where they wanted to make sure shards of glass couldn't damage the
surrounding area, and would have chapter and verse on how to.

Perhaps I'd have got a better answer on a group called 'UK Politics' or
whatever. ;-)

The houses around here are mostly not as grand as yours so the fanlights
above the doors are mostly rectangular and unassuming.

That's all mine is at present. But since I'm recorating, I'm just copying
what I've seen elsewhere and liked - an 'engraved' number in the glass.
I'm saving about 2 grand by DIYing the decorating, so feel quite justified
to splash out on some nice bits. ;-)

Over the years
I've seen the glass removed in a few ways[1]. FWIW the one that
impressed me most was an old bloke who (a) put tape on both sides of the
glass, (b) put down drop sheets and then loads of old newspaper on them
inside and out, (c) then put a large cardboard box on that, outside the
door, (d) donned visor and hard hat and (e) applied punch from inside
(with the door shut). But then I subscribe to the "but am I paranoid
enough?" school.

I'd have thought there could be a number of occasions where you'd want to
remove glass in an ultra safe manner - so surprised I've not been given
chapter and verse. Given many on here seem to know how to generate nuclear
energy efficiently and safely. Of course, they could just be bull****ting.

[1] though so far not with an angle grinder: do you fancy adding to the
Wiki a report on how a disc for cutting glass tiles works on window
glass?

;-) I'm one of those where an angle grinder is the last resort.

--
*We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 27 May 2017 14:18:50 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Robin wrote:
In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
[...]

Of course you can apply safety film, but what's the point?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 27/05/17 10:27, Graeme wrote:

Yes, if I couldn't get it out in one piece, I would cover the
outside with parcel tape then 'it it wiv me 'ammer from the inside,
with a large dust sheet or (better) plastic tarpaulin outside, to
catch the bits.

Fablon is your friend

I like that idea. Better yet, both sides of the glass, then whack it.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm replacing the fanlight above the front door with new frosted glass
with the house number engraved on it.

Suggestions on how to remove the old glass safely. I'm not an experience
glazier.

A cranked blade[1] in a multimaster type tool will let you cut the putty
away, and also to free the pane from any putty it was bedded on.

[1] This kind of thing:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...-wideblade.jpg

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

But surely the putty needs to be removed in order to replace the glass - so
isn't it worth trying to remove it with the glass in situ and then the
glass might be left intact.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://www.purlfrost.com/search/fanlight

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/17 10:54, DerbyBorn wrote:
But surely the putty needs to be removed in order to replace the glass - so
isn't it worth trying to remove it with the glass in situ and then the
glass might be left intact.

This is one of the cases where that is how you try the first time you
ever do it.

But never again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 28 May 2017 11:47:05 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 28/05/17 10:54, DerbyBorn wrote:
But surely the putty needs to be removed in order to replace the glass - so
isn't it worth trying to remove it with the glass in situ and then the
glass might be left intact.

This is one of the cases where that is how you try the first time you
ever do it.

But never again.

There's no hope of it coming out in one piece - unless it's bedded in silicone. Tape only delays removing the pieces. This thread seems to me to only achieve delaying the job.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message

I'm replacing the fanlight above the front door with new frosted glass
with the house number engraved on it.

Suggestions on how to remove the old glass safely. I'm not an experience
glazier.

A cranked blade[1] in a multimaster type tool will let you cut the putty
away, and also to free the pane from any putty it was bedded on.

[1] This kind of thing:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...-wideblade.jpg

John, your problem is that there seems to be a slight lack of aggression in
your life and too much constructive thinking.
Why can't you be like the rest and just want to smash it with a brick?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Sunday, 28 May 2017 11:47:05 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 28/05/17 10:54, DerbyBorn wrote:
But surely the putty needs to be removed in order to replace the
glass - so isn't it worth trying to remove it with the glass in situ
and then the glass might be left intact.

This is one of the cases where that is how you try the first time you
ever do it.

But never again.

There's no hope of it coming out in one piece - unless it's bedded in
silicone. Tape only delays removing the pieces. This thread seems to me
to only achieve delaying the job.

I'm not interested in removing it in one piece, as it will be scrap
anyway. Just want to minimise any damage caused by falling glass. Which is
why I asked this question.

--
*Young at heart -- slightly older in other places

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 28 May 2017 12:50:01 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr wrote:
On Sunday, 28 May 2017 11:47:05 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 28/05/17 10:54, DerbyBorn wrote:
But surely the putty needs to be removed in order to replace the
glass - so isn't it worth trying to remove it with the glass in situ
and then the glass might be left intact.

This is one of the cases where that is how you try the first time you
ever do it.

But never again.

There's no hope of it coming out in one piece - unless it's bedded in
silicone. Tape only delays removing the pieces. This thread seems to me
to only achieve delaying the job.

I'm not interested in removing it in one piece, as it will be scrap
anyway. Just want to minimise any damage caused by falling glass. Which is
why I asked this question.

We knew that from the start.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/2017 12:36, Richard wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message

I'm replacing the fanlight above the front door with new frosted glass
with the house number engraved on it.

Suggestions on how to remove the old glass safely. I'm not an experience
glazier.

A cranked blade[1] in a multimaster type tool will let you cut the
putty away, and also to free the pane from any putty it was bedded on.

[1] This kind of thing:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...-wideblade.jpg

John, your problem is that there seems to be a slight lack of aggression
in your life and too much constructive thinking.
Why can't you be like the rest and just want to smash it with a brick?

;-)

Well if you want a more destructive option. Score into sections with a
good glass cutter, then run a blowtorch along the score, followed by a
can of freezer spray. That ought to shear out sections in more
manageable chunks. One of those rubber suckers to pull the cut section
free might help.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Sunday, 28 May 2017 11:47:05 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 28/05/17 10:54, DerbyBorn wrote:
But surely the putty needs to be removed in order to replace the
glass - so isn't it worth trying to remove it with the glass in situ
and then the glass might be left intact.

This is one of the cases where that is how you try the first time you
ever do it.

But never again.

There's no hope of it coming out in one piece - unless it's bedded in
silicone. Tape only delays removing the pieces. This thread seems to me
to only achieve delaying the job.

I'm not interested in removing it in one piece, as it will be scrap
anyway. Just want to minimise any damage caused by falling glass. Which is
why I asked this question.

Getting it out in one piece and carrying it down to the ground seems
like a reasonable way of minimising the damage though.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
[...]

I covered both inside and out with old blankets. Taped up the window with
parcel tape. Got a pal to stand guard ouside on the street. Smashed it
outwards with a broom. Some shards still got as far as the street, about
some 3 metres away.

One real snag is it's very awkward to get at. Interior door and steps to
the outside don't allow a step ladder to be positioned in the ideal place.

And the old putty seems to made of the strongest type known to man.

--
*Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 29 May 2017 11:25:15 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

And the old putty seems to made of the strongest type known to man.

that's why getting it out in one piece doesn't happen.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Monday, 29 May 2017 11:25:15 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

And the old putty seems to made of the strongest type known to man.

that's why getting it out in one piece doesn't happen.

I have a small original conservatory, which was in a bit of a state when I
moved here. Managed to remove the vast majority of that glass intact - and
re-used it. I made the new frames as close a match to the originals as
possible.

--
*When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

And the old putty seems to made of the strongest type known to man.

Carbide rasp on a multimaster (et al) tends to deal with that...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:

And the old putty seems to made of the strongest type known to man.

Carbide rasp on a multimaster (et al) tends to deal with that...

I've got a Bosch electric chisel which worked pretty well. Has a blade
specifically for removing putty.

--
*Who is this General Failure chap anyway - and why is he reading my HD? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The conclusion for those who haven't lost the will to live after watching
TV over the last few days.

Job done and looks very look. Obviously, not painted yet as the putty has
to dry.

Yet another time I don't understand glazier tollerances. It was 4mm wider
at one end than the other, and having a number on it can only be fitted
one way, and of course the frame ran out in the opposite direction. Add to
that a clear border round the frosted part which had to be centralised in
the frame, and what should have been an easy job took much longer.

--
*If they arrest the Energizer Bunny, would they charge it with battery? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 31 May 2017 16:18:01 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
The conclusion for those who haven't lost the will to live after watching
TV over the last few days.

Job done and looks very look. Obviously, not painted yet as the putty has
to dry.

Yet another time I don't understand glazier tollerances. It was 4mm wider
at one end than the other, and having a number on it can only be fitted
one way, and of course the frame ran out in the opposite direction. Add to
that a clear border round the frosted part which had to be centralised in
the frame, and what should have been an easy job took much longer.

glaziers seem to screw up a lot, why I don't know.

NT