Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robin Robin is offline

Default Removing a fan light.

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
Stick it together with plenty of sticky tape when you break it.

That does seem the logical way. But was hoping someone had done something
similar where they wanted to make sure shards of glass couldn't damage the
surrounding area, and would have chapter and verse on how to.

Perhaps I'd have got a better answer on a group called 'UK Politics' or
whatever. ;-)

The houses around here are mostly not as grand as yours so the fanlights
above the doors are mostly rectangular and unassuming. Over the years
I've seen the glass removed in a few ways[1]. FWIW the one that
impressed me most was an old bloke who (a) put tape on both sides of the
glass, (b) put down drop sheets and then loads of old newspaper on them
inside and out, (c) then put a large cardboard box on that, outside the
door, (d) donned visor and hard hat and (e) applied punch from inside
(with the door shut). But then I subscribe to the "but am I paranoid
enough?" school.

[1] though so far not with an angle grinder: do you fancy adding to the
Wiki a report on how a disc for cutting glass tiles works on window glass?
--
Robin