Posted to uk.d-i-y
Malcolm Race[_2_] Malcolm Race[_2_] is offline

Default Removing a fan light.

On 26/05/2017 14:40, Clive George wrote:
I'm replacing the fanlight above the front door with new frosted glass
with the house number engraved on it.

Suggestions on how to remove the old glass safely. I'm not an experience
glazier.

The obvious way is to just smash it out - but am concerned with damage to
surrounding things by the falling glass.

Isn't the obvious way to remove the putty or whatever is holding the
glass in then remove the glass in one piece?

Have you ever tried removing years old putty with a hacking knife? - #it
is very hard.

Try scoring the glass with a glass cutter and then as sugessted in
another post cover with tape (gasffer tape? before trying to break i9t
out. The scoring should give you some control pver the lies of breakage

Malcolm