Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Removing a fan light.

On 28/05/2017 12:36, Richard wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message

I'm replacing the fanlight above the front door with new frosted glass
with the house number engraved on it.

Suggestions on how to remove the old glass safely. I'm not an experience
glazier.

A cranked blade[1] in a multimaster type tool will let you cut the
putty away, and also to free the pane from any putty it was bedded on.

[1] This kind of thing:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...-wideblade.jpg

John, your problem is that there seems to be a slight lack of aggression
in your life and too much constructive thinking.
Why can't you be like the rest and just want to smash it with a brick?

;-)

Well if you want a more destructive option. Score into sections with a
good glass cutter, then run a blowtorch along the score, followed by a
can of freezer spray. That ought to shear out sections in more
manageable chunks. One of those rubber suckers to pull the cut section
free might help.

--
Cheers,

John.