Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Darwin Award

Could this be the latest candidate?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39307418
--
Cheers,
Roger
____________
checked.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/03/2017 17:40, Roger Mills wrote:
Could this be the latest candidate?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39307418

So the coroner is to write a prevention of future death report to send
to Apple. I hope they ignore him. I do get fed up with stupid safety
instructions that so often come with product these days.

--
Michael Chare

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 17 Mar 2017 17:40:43 +0000, Roger Mills
wrote:

Could this be the latest candidate?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39307418

He had the "extention cord from the hall" (a trailling socket?)
resting on his chest. HTF is the Apple charger implicated?
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/03/2017 18:13, Michael Chare wrote:
On 17/03/2017 17:40, Roger Mills wrote:
Could this be the latest candidate?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39307418

So the coroner is to write a prevention of future death report to send
to Apple. I hope they ignore him. I do get fed up with stupid safety
instructions that so often come with product these days.

I think the coroner should actually be writing to the makers of
extension leads insisting that "do not use in the bath" be stamped on
all new units and milk bottles with "open other end" on the base.

It wasn't the Apple charger that killed him it was the mains on the
input pins to the Apple charger immersed in water. An electric fire or
hair drier plugged in would have made him just as dead.

Definitely a Darwin Award candidate.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 17 Mar 2017 17:40:43 +0000, Roger Mills wrote:

Could this be the latest candidate?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39307418

There's a reason you don't find power points in bathrooms. It just sounds
like this bloke was begging for trouble and I cannot see how you can
prevent idiocy of this magnitude.

And this magnitude: "The underlying message is, although someone can
argue that the cable that's going into your phone is 5V, that's the point
where you're taking too much risk."

WTF is that supposed to mean??

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/03/17 18:25, Martin Brown wrote:
I think the coroner should actually be writing to the makers of
extension leads insisting that "do not use in the bath" be stamped on
all new units and milk bottles with "open other end" on the base.

And all Essex girls to come with a tattooed arrow showing which end they
want to be ****ed.

twenty-first centurys developed world went into hysterical panic over a
globally average temperature increase of a few tenths of a degree, and,
on the basis of gross exaggerations of highly uncertain computer
projections combined into implausible chains of inference, proceeded to
contemplate a rollback of the industrial age.

Richard Lindzen
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/03/2017 18:25, Martin Brown wrote:
On 17/03/2017 18:13, Michael Chare wrote:
On 17/03/2017 17:40, Roger Mills wrote:
Could this be the latest candidate?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39307418

So the coroner is to write a prevention of future death report to send
to Apple. I hope they ignore him. I do get fed up with stupid safety
instructions that so often come with product these days.

I think the coroner should actually be writing to the makers of
extension leads insisting that "do not use in the bath" be stamped on
all new units and milk bottles with "open other end" on the base.

It wasn't the Apple charger that killed him it was the mains on the
input pins to the Apple charger immersed in water. An electric fire or
hair drier plugged in would have made him just as dead.

Maybe.
If it were the pins on the charger then where was the path for the
current through his body?
With pins that close the current would drop off quickly as you moved away.
Maybe the charger didn't have enough isolation and the other end became
part of the path allowing more current through his body?
There isn't enough information to actually know whether the charger
contributed to the death.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 17 Mar 2017 18:34:59 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom
wrote:

On Fri, 17 Mar 2017 17:40:43 +0000, Roger Mills wrote:

Could this be the latest candidate?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39307418

There's a reason you don't find power points in bathrooms. It just sounds
like this bloke was begging for trouble and I cannot see how you can
prevent idiocy of this magnitude.

And this magnitude: "The underlying message is, although someone can
argue that the cable that's going into your phone is 5V, that's the point
where you're taking too much risk."

WTF is that supposed to mean??

That sounds like something Chris Morris might have pursuaded some
gullable/greedy celebraty to say.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare formulated on Friday :
So the coroner is to write a prevention of future death report to send to
Apple. I hope they ignore him. I do get fed up with stupid safety
instructions that so often come with product these days.

It read as if the end of the extension was rested on his chest, so
nothing to do with the Iphone, the charger, or Apple.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/03/17 18:25, Martin Brown wrote:
On 17/03/2017 18:13, Michael Chare wrote:
On 17/03/2017 17:40, Roger Mills wrote:
Could this be the latest candidate?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39307418

So the coroner is to write a prevention of future death report to send
to Apple. I hope they ignore him. I do get fed up with stupid safety
instructions that so often come with product these days.

I think the coroner should actually be writing to the makers of
extension leads insisting that "do not use in the bath" be stamped on
all new units and milk bottles with "open other end" on the base.

It wasn't the Apple charger that killed him it was the mains on the
input pins to the Apple charger immersed in water. An electric fire or
hair drier plugged in would have made him just as dead.

Definitely a Darwin Award candidate.

My old man (electrical engineer) got called as an expert witness to a
coroner's court once (probably in the 50s) - apparently, some bloke had
balanced a mains heater on the side of the bath and it fell in.

Not sure why they wanted an expert opinion... Mains in bathwater is bad
- mmmkay.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Could this be the latest candidate?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39307418

He had the "extention cord from the hall" (a trailling socket?)
resting on his chest. HTF is the Apple charger implicated?

Same logic as exactly halfway through this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLvS_w9gy8g

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare wrote:
On 17/03/2017 17:40, Roger Mills wrote:
Could this be the latest candidate?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39307418

So the coroner is to write a prevention of future death report to send
to Apple. I hope they ignore him. I do get fed up with stupid safety
instructions that so often come with product these days.

I got a laptop battery off ebay yesterday.
The 'instruction manual' was a slip of paper 6 inches by 2.

There were no instructions at all, just 6 or 7 'Nevers'

'Never immerse in water' being the first....the second was a little more
worrying and I had to read it twice to make sure I'd got it right.
'Never hammer nails into the battery'

I carried on reading, hoping for something even better like 'Never insert
into anus' but there weren't any more, although 2 of the others had 'hammer'
in the advice: 'never use a hammer on the battery' and 'Never use the
battery as a hammer'

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/03/2017 17:40, Roger Mills wrote:
Could this be the latest candidate?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39307418

Yup, a priime canddate. It's simply a 21st century variant of Darwin's
natural selection. Jolly sad for the family but good for the global gene
pool.

I bought a new car recently and 2 weeks later am still wading through
the handbook, more than 50% of which is made up of dire warnings that
would have been laughable 30 years ago.

As I age there an increasing number of things that make me despair and
we need to fight back against this creeping PC crap. This guy was dumb
and paid the penalty. End of story.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/03/2017 18:34, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Fri, 17 Mar 2017 17:40:43 +0000, Roger Mills wrote:

Could this be the latest candidate?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39307418

There's a reason you don't find power points in bathrooms.

Undoubtedly true but I've just come back from France and couldn't help
noticing they have power points in all their bathrooms, as do other
countries I've visited. Do they have a special safe form of
electricity, or simply fewer idiots? Either seems unlikely, so maybe
they just accept Darwin. It would be interesting to now what the
fatality rate from these causes is in such countries.

It just sounds
like this bloke was begging for trouble and I cannot see how you can
prevent idiocy of this magnitude.

And this magnitude: "The underlying message is, although someone can
argue that the cable that's going into your phone is 5V, that's the point
where you're taking too much risk."

WTF is that supposed to mean??

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 17 Mar 2017 18:13:11 +0000, Michael Chare wrote:

On 17/03/2017 17:40, Roger Mills wrote:
Could this be the latest candidate?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39307418

So the coroner is to write a prevention of future death report to send
to Apple. I hope they ignore him. I do get fed up with stupid safety
instructions that so often come with product these days.

Well obviously some people need them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 17 Mar 2017 18:25:17 +0000, Martin Brown wrote:

I think the coroner should actually be writing to the makers of
extension leads insisting that "do not use in the bath" be stamped on
all new units and milk bottles with "open other end" on the base.

Naw it ought to made mandatory to have "life lessons" in the 1st year
of Primary school. Show by demonstration and actually let the kids
find out that the mains fing hurts, petrol will have your eyebrows if
used as a fire lighter... Just a few additions to the bit of the
curriculem that includes how to cross the road, cycling proficency,
stranger danger, safe surfing and so on.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/03/17 19:26, wrote:
On 17/03/2017 17:40, Roger Mills wrote:
Could this be the latest candidate?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39307418

Yup, a priime canddate. It's simply a 21st century variant of Darwin's
natural selection. Jolly sad for the family but good for the global gene
pool.

I bought a new car recently and 2 weeks later am still wading through
the handbook, more than 50% of which is made up of dire warnings that
would have been laughable 30 years ago.

As I age there an increasing number of things that make me despair and
we need to fight back against this creeping PC crap. This guy was dumb
and paid the penalty. End of story.

It's getting like road signs... There are so many of them, 1) you get
fazed and fail to notice the important ones; 2) You stop thinking for
yourself.

My IAM (advance driving) observer asked me why I was slowing down on
bends last week. His argument was: if the bend is bad, it would have a
sign. Personally, I regard a sign as a bonus and the absence of which
does not mean the route does not need one. But he was a decent bloke so
I didn't want to argue. But if I get him again, I might...

Same with these stupid "Do not use this angle grinder wire brush
attachment to clean the cheese off your helmet" ********. People now
expect the warnings and if one is not there, they assume it must be OK
to do it.

I don't even think half the warnings are even designed by the experts.
Why does every bloody bathroom fan and central heating component come
with a "must be fused at 3A"??? I bet most would be fine with a 6A Type
B MCB that is the most common on a domestic lighting circuit - and if
not, build a suitable fuse into the sodding unit!

I rang Myson the other day - "your Lo-Line fan coil heater (wet coil):
what is the power consumption of the fan?"

"I don't know: it's hard to say how much it would cost to run, it
depends on how you use it"

"No... I want to know the max (plate) rating. It says it needs a 3A
fuse. I might run it off the CH power - but I have a boiler, another CH
UFH pump and this - it's not a given all of that will be happy on 3A".

"Oh - let me look at the manual".

"Don't bother - I've already downloaded it and read it right through"

*sigh*

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/03/2017 20:32, Tim Watts wrote:

It's getting like road signs... There are so many of them, 1) you get
fazed and fail to notice the important ones; 2) You stop thinking for
yourself.

How many signs do you pass in this 200m bit of road?

https://goo.gl/maps/iUdfGgi6pKk

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/03/2017 19:21, Phil L wrote:
Michael Chare wrote:
[...]

Look at the letter U.

A NSFW link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO8Eod3FSOQ

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/03/17 21:02, ARW wrote:
On 17/03/2017 20:32, Tim Watts wrote:

It's getting like road signs... There are so many of them, 1) you get
fazed and fail to notice the important ones; 2) You stop thinking for
yourself.

How many signs do you pass in this 200m bit of road?

https://goo.gl/maps/iUdfGgi6pKk

And several unnecessary...

But who are the two scallys at the bus stop with a bag of tinnies?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim Watts
writes
[...]

As James Bond would say "Shocking"
Not sure why they wanted an expert opinion... Mains in bathwater is bad
- mmmkay.

--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim Watts
writes
On 17/03/17 19:26, wrote:
On 17/03/2017 17:40, Roger Mills wrote:
Could this be the latest candidate?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39307418

Yup, a priime canddate. It's simply a 21st century variant of Darwin's
natural selection. Jolly sad for the family but good for the global gene
pool.

I bought a new car recently and 2 weeks later am still wading through
the handbook, more than 50% of which is made up of dire warnings that
would have been laughable 30 years ago.

As I age there an increasing number of things that make me despair and
we need to fight back against this creeping PC crap. This guy was dumb
and paid the penalty. End of story.

It's getting like road signs... There are so many of them, 1) you get
fazed and fail to notice the important ones; 2) You stop thinking for
yourself.

To realise just how many there are, try reading them out loud as you
drive along.
Snip
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/03/17 19:26, wrote:
[...]

Bend signs are the one sign that I pay attention to.

--
Michael Chare

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 17 March 2017 23:12:56 UTC, bert wrote:
In article , Tim Watts
writes
[...]

because what is generally acccepted is not always true. Eg if you connect your shower head to live you can shower under it without harm - as long as you don't touch it. Setups along those lines are found in the 3rd world.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

So lets get this staight, rather than leave the socket and charger on the
floor out of reach, heput the live socket bar on his chest?
Well surely anyone would see that this is going to be very dangerous.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"Roger Mills" wrote in message
Could this be the latest candidate?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39307418
--
Cheers,
Roger
____________
checked.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
[...]

Twas the extension cord socket with the charger plugged in
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/03/2017 20:20, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 17 Mar 2017 18:25:17 +0000, Martin Brown wrote:

I think the coroner should actually be writing to the makers of
extension leads insisting that "do not use in the bath" be stamped on
all new units and milk bottles with "open other end" on the base.

Naw it ought to made mandatory to have "life lessons" in the 1st year
of Primary school. Show by demonstration and actually let the kids
find out that the mains fing hurts, petrol will have your eyebrows if
used as a fire lighter... Just a few additions to the bit of the
curriculem that includes how to cross the road, cycling proficency,
stranger danger, safe surfing and so on.

I think you may well have a point. Nothing focusses the mind about being
careful flammable with solvents like the smell of singed eyebrows.

Or as a world class pyrotechnician once put it to me "All the best
fireworkers makers in the world are missing precisely one finger".
Apparently it hurts like hell and you never make the same mistake again.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/03/2017 20:20, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 17 Mar 2017 18:25:17 +0000, Martin Brown wrote:

I think the coroner should actually be writing to the makers of
extension leads insisting that "do not use in the bath" be stamped on
all new units and milk bottles with "open other end" on the base.

Naw it ought to made mandatory to have "life lessons" in the 1st year
of Primary school. Show by demonstration and actually let the kids
find out that the mains fing hurts, petrol will have your eyebrows if
used as a fire lighter... Just a few additions to the bit of the
curriculem that includes how to cross the road, cycling proficency,
stranger danger, safe surfing and so on.

Of course it's also possible that this sort of thing need not be taught
in school. Parents could give a little education to their kids instead
of expecting school teachers to bring up their brats.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/03/2017 07:31, F Murtz wrote:
dennis@home wrote:
[...]

Don't tell the coroner:-)

Basically it was this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EViyccc2t9w

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Cursitor Doom" wrote in message news

On Fri, 17 Mar 2017 17:40:43 +0000, Roger Mills wrote:

Could this be the latest candidate?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39307418

There's a reason you don't find power points in bathrooms. It just sounds
like this bloke was begging for trouble and I cannot see how you can
prevent idiocy of this magnitude.

The outcome prevents idiocy of this magnitude being repeated by the same
idiot.
Very efficient.

And this magnitude: "The underlying message is, although someone can
argue that the cable that's going into your phone is 5V, that's the point
where you're taking too much risk."

WTF is that supposed to mean??

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17-Mar-17 8:03 PM, mechanic wrote:
On Fri, 17 Mar 2017 18:13:11 +0000, Michael Chare wrote:

On 17/03/2017 17:40, Roger Mills wrote:
Could this be the latest candidate?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39307418

So the coroner is to write a prevention of future death report to send
to Apple. I hope they ignore him. I do get fed up with stupid safety
instructions that so often come with product these days.

Well obviously some people need them.

I suspect that those who need them are also among those who won't bother
to read them.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message news

On 17/03/2017 20:20, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 17 Mar 2017 18:25:17 +0000, Martin Brown wrote:

I think the coroner should actually be writing to the makers of
extension leads insisting that "do not use in the bath" be stamped on
all new units and milk bottles with "open other end" on the base.

Naw it ought to made mandatory to have "life lessons" in the 1st year
of Primary school. Show by demonstration and actually let the kids
find out that the mains fing hurts, petrol will have your eyebrows if
used as a fire lighter... Just a few additions to the bit of the
curriculem that includes how to cross the road, cycling proficency,
stranger danger, safe surfing and so on.

Of course it's also possible that this sort of thing need not be taught
in school. Parents could give a little education to their kids instead
of expecting school teachers to bring up their brats.

Errm, http://s428.photobucket.com/user/ada...10001.jpg.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

And I still have not punched the ****** that threw the petrol on the fire.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Nightjar
writes

I suspect that those who need them are also among those who won't
bother to read them.

Which begs the question - Are the warnings there for the benefit of the
consumer, or the protection of the manufacturer? The latter seems
obvious.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 17 March 2017 20:32:31 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
My IAM (advance driving) observer asked me why I was slowing down on
bends last week. His argument was: if the bend is bad, it would have a
sign.

Signs can be stolen or vandalised.

Just because there was a sign there last week and not one this week doesn't mean they've realigned the road.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Mar 2017 05:22:25 +0000, Brian-Gaff wrote:

So lets get this staight, rather than leave the socket and charger on
the floor out of reach, heput the live socket bar on his chest?
Well surely anyone would see that this is going to be very dangerous.

Presumably the warning section of the instructions didn't clearly state
the inadvisability of taking a bath with a mains extension socket on your
chest.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 17 Mar 2017 18:51:17 +0000, Caecilius wrote:

That sounds like something Chris Morris might have pursuaded some
gullable/greedy celebraty to say.

They must read this group cos they've edited that portion of text to make
more sense now.

Darwin award GB UK diy 211 March 4th 16 11:05 PM
Off Topic: Darwin Award Lee Michaels Woodworking 62 March 5th 10 11:02 PM
DIY Darwin Award candidate Dave Baker UK diy 10 March 28th 08 10:28 PM
OT ish Darwin Award The Medway Handyman UK diy 46 May 30th 07 07:01 PM
Darwin Award Nominee? Howard Eisenhauer Metalworking 116 March 13th 06 01:18 AM