Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Darwin Award

ARW explained on 19/03/2017 :
OK so this is what I got at 500V.

https://youtu.be/wipfPEhacmU

2Megs and still falling as the insulation breaks down, possibly unused
for a while so reasonably dry down there.

That rather proves what I said. I wouldn't want to be wet and connected
to 240v, with less than 2Megs of dubious insulation between and earth.

My apologies consist of my middle finger and a go **** yourself.

Why be so offensive?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 14:14:40 +0000, ARW wrote:

On 18/03/2017 20:18, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
ARW submitted this idea :
Unlikely my arse. You are talking ********.

The way to prove it, assuming you have a plastic bath and I would
further assume a Meggar, would be to check the insulation resistance
between the metal plug plug hole and an electrical earth. Then you can
report back with your apologies.

My bath is all metal, so not possible for me to do it.

OK so this is what I got at 500V.

https://youtu.be/wipfPEhacmU

My apologies consist of my middle finger and a go **** yourself.

It looked like you'd managed to get the megger readings down to just
under two megohms. BTW, **** video (VVS). This might help you improve the
quality of your next one... assuming you're not the 2nd type of perp
mentioned in that excellent YouTube video. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt9zSfinwFA

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-03-18, Graeme wrote:
In message , Nightjar
writes

I suspect that those who need them are also among those who won't
bother to read them.

Which begs the question - Are the warnings there for the benefit of the
consumer, or the protection of the manufacturer? The latter seems
obvious.

The latter, of course. Most of these warnings are there because some
anencephalic has done something stupid in the past and complained/sued
about it. So, if it happens again, the manufacturer can point at the
warning,
shrug and hang up the 'phone.

If this 'tard was indeed using a mains extension lead in the bath, we
can but hope that he hasn't managed to reproduce.

If he has managed to produce any progeny (even a viable embryo is quite
sufficient), he or she[1] is automatically disqualified from receiving
the award. Hope doesn't enter into it, meeting the full requirements for
a Darwin Award precludes the existence of progeny.

Sadly, what this often means is that many such stupid deaths fail to
qualify for this much vaunted award (IOW, it's a life wasted in a futile
attempt to receive such honour). :-(

[1] Obviously, in this case, neither a viable embryo nor foetus is likely
to suffice as a disqualifying condition.

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I could not give a ****.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Dunno, still can't really see how he managed to fry himself that way.

Even if he somehow managed to get metal at 240V onto the skin of his
chest, hard to see how that would produce the arcing the article claims.

"He suffered severe burns on his chest, arm and hand when the charger
touched the water and died on 11 December, the newspaper said."

"Wife Tanya found him when she returned home and first thought
he had been attacked because his injuries were so bad."

Corse it was the Sun...

Yes, probably overstated to help sell papers.

Dunno why the BBC at least didn't get off their arse and actually
quoted from the transcripts of the inquest even if they don't
bother to have anyone show up at the inquest itself. Maybe
they have decided its too downmarket for them and that
all they need to do is quote the Sun at no cost to the BBC.

I have though seen the results of dry 3ph bus-bar contact,
there were definite signs of burning, from time very limited
contact. I can imagine wet contact, over a more prolonged
time due to a static body, would do much more damage.

I'm not so sure given the poor conductivity of water.

Even if he did **** the bath in the process of
dying and it was a full metal bath thoroughly
grounded and no RCD in the house at all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/2017 16:16, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
ARW explained on 19/03/2017 :
OK so this is what I got at 500V.

https://youtu.be/wipfPEhacmU

2Megs and still falling as the insulation breaks down, possibly unused
for a while so reasonably dry down there.

That rather proves what I said. I wouldn't want to be wet and connected
to 240v, with less than 2Megs of dubious insulation between and earth.

My apologies consist of my middle finger and a go **** yourself.

Why be so offensive?

2 Megs at 500V in a wet bath. ffs.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
dennis@home laid this down on his screen :
If it is earthed!
If its modern plastic plumbing the chances of it being earth is quite
low.
Tap water has a resistivity about 100 times that of sea water so it
wouldn't take much plastic pipe to give a few hundred thousand ohms
resistance in the path.

Isn't there a requirement for them to be earthed anyway if they are
metal? A 'few hundred ohms' is not nearly enough to protect you anyway.

I got fairly hefty tingle from the aerial socket of a TV.

I had various devices connected to the TV: PC via TV aerial socket, VCR
via aerial and phono audio, hifi via audio phono.

One day I unplugged the aerial lead from the PC (which was the only thing
that was earthed) with one hand on the metal aerial plug and the other
holding the PC case. And the jolt as the aerial plug was no longer
connected to earth was very noticeable.

It took a long time with my voltmeter going round to each suspect device
in turn until I found it was the TV. There was about 130 VAC between the
TV's aerial socket screen and mains earth, as measured with a
high-resistance volt meter. Even with about 100 kilohm resistor in
parallel with the meter to simulate my body resistance (I didn't fancy a
repeat shock, even for scientific purposes!) there was about 50 V - not
dangerous but enough to be painful.

Trading Standards and Panasonic didn't seem at all interested and said
that it was "within safety specifications".

My water pipes in my house are all copper. Even the rising main is metal -
lead pipe between the house and the pipes in the street (which would be
either plastic or cast iron depending on age). So even without the
statutory earth strap, the taps would be well earthed and so present a
nice route to earth from any mains device in the bath. The only plastic
pipes I've seen were the rising main in my previous house, but everything
from the stop tap onwards was standard 15 or 22 mm copper pipe. Do some
modern houses have plastic pipes between rising main, bath taps, boiler,
hot water cylinder etc.

Yep, plenty do now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/03/17 15:11, ARW wrote:
On 18/03/2017 13:00, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo , ARW aXXXwadsworth@blueyond
er.co.uk escribió:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EViyccc2t9w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIUJWIT9GrU

2:30 onwards.

I have a travel iron that works on that electrode heater principle.

It killed me last year, I'm now a ghost.

urm, the friendly ghost, I'm kinda related :-)

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Mar 2017 08:56:44 +0000, ARW wrote:

Naw it ought to made mandatory to have "life lessons" in the 1st

year
of Primary school. Show by demonstration and actually let the kids
find out that the mains fing hurts, petrol will have your eyebrows

if
used as a fire lighter... Just a few additions to the bit of the
curriculem that includes how to cross the road, cycling

proficency,
stranger danger, safe surfing and so on.

Of course it's also possible that this sort of thing need not be taught
in school. Parents could give a little education to their kids instead
of expecting school teachers to bring up their brats.

Agree with that as well. Our kids learnt the (mostly controlled) hard
way about hot, cold, sharp, etc. Saying "hot don't touch" and
stopping kid touching the hot thing doesn't teach anything. "Hot,
don't touch" touchesbawls "I told you it was hot"comforts
teaches an awful lot more than what hot is. It teaches that a warning
is given for a reason, that parent isn't going to wrap 'em in cotton
wool, so pay heed to what parent says. Obviously if the hot object
was hot enough to cause more than minor injury they'd be stopped but
there is nothing like a bit of pain or cut finger to teach ...

The hardest part of parenting is being consistent(*), not threating
something that you can't carry through and never ever give in to a
tantrum in fact a tantrum ought to be ignored as almost any attention
is a "reward" as far as the kid is concerned.

(*) That's across both parents as the little beggers will play one
against the other.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/2017 10:53, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
dennis@home laid this down on his screen :
If it is earthed!
If its modern plastic plumbing the chances of it being earth is quite
low.
Tap water has a resistivity about 100 times that of sea water so it
wouldn't take much plastic pipe to give a few hundred thousand ohms
resistance in the path.

Isn't there a requirement for them to be earthed anyway if they are
metal? A 'few hundred ohms' is not nearly enough to protect you anyway.

The few hundred *thousand* ohms I said is though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 17 March 2017 19:50:01 UTC, GMM wrote:
On 17/03/2017 18:34, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Fri, 17 Mar 2017 17:40:43 +0000, Roger Mills wrote:

Could this be the latest candidate?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39307418

There's a reason you don't find power points in bathrooms.

Undoubtedly true but I've just come back from France and couldn't help
noticing they have power points in all their bathrooms, as do other
countries I've visited. Do they have a special safe form of
electricity, or simply fewer idiots?

I've heard they don't earth the pipes in barthrooms in france so it's not a problem as deaths are caused when the curent goes through the water to earth.

as Either seems unlikely, so maybe
they just accept Darwin. It would be interesting to now what the
fatality rate from these causes is in such countries.

probbly on wiki somewhere.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

====snip====

It looked like you'd managed to get the megger readings down to just
under two megohms. BTW, **** video (VVS). This might help you improve
the quality of your next one... assuming you're not the 2nd type of
perp mentioned in that excellent YouTube video. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt9zSfinwFA

I could not give a ****.

An honest, straight to the point response. Saves any further pointless
discussion over the matter of VVS. :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Friday, 17 March 2017 19:50:01 UTC, GMM wrote:
On 17/03/2017 18:34, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Fri, 17 Mar 2017 17:40:43 +0000, Roger Mills wrote:

Could this be the latest candidate?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39307418

There's a reason you don't find power points in bathrooms.

Undoubtedly true but I've just come back from France and couldn't help
noticing they have power points in all their bathrooms, as do other
countries I've visited. Do they have a special safe form of
electricity, or simply fewer idiots?

I've heard they don't earth the pipes in barthrooms in france so it's not
a problem
as deaths are caused when the curent goes through the water to earth.

In the days before plastic plumbing became common, our pipes
are normally earthed and we have power points in the bathroom
and no electrocutions.

as Either seems unlikely, so maybe
they just accept Darwin. It would be interesting to now what the
fatality rate from these causes is in such countries.

probbly on wiki somewhere.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 20 March 2017 19:21:15 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
[...]

Provided they have a RCD and are more than 2 metres away from water IIRC.

as Either seems unlikely, so maybe
they just accept Darwin. It would be interesting to now what the
fatality rate from these causes is in such countries.

probbly on wiki somewhere.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Not when mine were done and not now either.

and are more than 2 metres away from water IIRC.

That is just plain wrong. All of mine are closer than that.

as Either seems unlikely, so maybe
they just accept Darwin. It would be interesting to now what the
fatality rate from these causes is in such countries.

probbly on wiki somewhere.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 21 March 2017 16:26:25 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
[...]

Maybe yuo should check the what the regualtions are NOW.
I suppose you don't have zones either or IP specifications.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

No need, still not required NOW.

I suppose you don't have zones either

Nope, not in bathrooms, we arent that stupid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 22 March 2017 18:47:43 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message

Maybe yuo should check the what the regualtions are NOW.

No need, still not required NOW.

I suppose you don't have zones either

Nope, not in bathrooms, we arent that stupid.

http://www.homeimprovementpages.com....n_the_bathroom

Bathroom Safety Zones

Bathrooms are divided into 4 zones:

No electrical outlets are permitted in Zone 1. Zone 2 extends another .6 metre from the horizontal radius of Zone 1 and to ceiling height or 2.25 metres above the floor, whichever is lower. The only electrical outlets allowed in Zone 2 a

Sockets fitted with Residual Current Detectors (RCD) with fixed ratings of no greater than 30mA.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
GMM wrote:
On 17/03/2017 18:34, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Fri, 17 Mar 2017 17:40:43 +0000, Roger Mills wrote:

Could this be the latest candidate?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39307418

There's a reason you don't find power points in bathrooms.

Undoubtedly true but I've just come back from France and couldn't help
noticing they have power points in all their bathrooms, as do other
countries I've visited.

Just got back from Spain. Hotel bathroom had a power outlet very close to
the hand basin (for electric shaver?) - but more interestingly, a network
socket beside the WC.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Friday, 17 March 2017 20:32:31 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
My IAM (advance driving) observer asked me why I was slowing down on
bends last week. His argument was: if the bend is bad, it would have a
sign.

Signs can be stolen or vandalised.

Just because there was a sign there last week and not one this week
doesn't mean they've realigned the road.

near us there's a sign before a bend saying "Max 50mph". The road itself
has a 50mph limit.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 22 March 2017 18:47:43 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message

Maybe yuo should check the what the regualtions are NOW.

No need, still not required NOW.

I suppose you don't have zones either

Nope, not in bathrooms, we arent that stupid.

http://www.homeimprovementpages.com....n_the_bathroom

There is no universal standard that applys to the entire country on that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , charles
escribió:

Just got back from Spain. Hotel bathroom had a power outlet very close to
the hand basin (for electric shaver?)

Same here, but at least it smells nice.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u1t3f95um2..._6817.JPG?dl=0

Yes, the hand dryer is plugged into that socket.

Taken by me last December.

- but more interestingly, a network
socket beside the WC.

--
(\_/)
(")_(") the one I never tried before." - Mae West

Darwin award GB UK diy 211 March 4th 16 11:05 PM
Off Topic: Darwin Award Lee Michaels Woodworking 62 March 5th 10 11:02 PM
DIY Darwin Award candidate Dave Baker UK diy 10 March 28th 08 10:28 PM
OT ish Darwin Award The Medway Handyman UK diy 46 May 30th 07 07:01 PM
Darwin Award Nominee? Howard Eisenhauer Metalworking 116 March 13th 06 01:18 AM