Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Grub screw question

I need a replacement grub screw for a door handle (okay - I don't need
one but I'm a perfectionist). I see I can get a pack containing M3,
M4, M5 and M6 very cheaply. Can I assume one of these sizes will fit?
It is a fairly new door handle so I assume it is metric. Is M2 so
small as to be excludable? I assume it's 'cup point'. Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott wrote:

I need a replacement grub screw for a door handle (okay - I don't need
one but I'm a perfectionist). I see I can get a pack containing M3,
M4, M5 and M6 very cheaply. Can I assume one of these sizes will fit?

My newish handles take what would appear to be M6 grub screws (actually
they measure as 5.9mm OD but I assume that's intended to be 6mm rather
than 15/64") with a 3mm allen key

It is a fairly new door handle so I assume it is metric. Is M2 so
small as to be excludable? I assume it's 'cup point'. Thanks.

Mine are cone point, the square bar through the latch is split at both
ends, with a V-groove which the grub screw tightens into and spreads the
split end, forcing it against the edges of the hole in the handle.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott wrote:
I need a replacement grub screw for a door handle (okay - I don't need
one but I'm a perfectionist). I see I can get a pack containing M3,
M4, M5 and M6 very cheaply. Can I assume one of these sizes will fit?
It is a fairly new door handle so I assume it is metric. Is M2 so
small as to be excludable? I assume it's 'cup point'. Thanks.

Can't you measure the existing one, or at least guess its size.

The M sizes are simply outside diameter in mm.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ERm are these for the square spindle things with the tapped holes in them,
if so its the square bit that needs to be newish. Mine are imperial here.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Scott" wrote in message
I need a replacement grub screw for a door handle (okay - I don't need
one but I'm a perfectionist). I see I can get a pack containing M3,
M4, M5 and M6 very cheaply. Can I assume one of these sizes will fit?
It is a fairly new door handle so I assume it is metric. Is M2 so
small as to be excludable? I assume it's 'cup point'. Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

ERm are these for the square spindle things with the tapped holes in them,
if so its the square bit that needs to be newish. Mine are imperial here.

I changed the door handles here, that required changing the square bar
from imperial to metric, the new handles expected to be able to have
bolts running through the door where the metal body of the latch was in
the way, so I had to refit the latches and then the strike plates ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 23:00:33 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

Scott wrote:

I need a replacement grub screw for a door handle (okay - I don't need
one but I'm a perfectionist). I see I can get a pack containing M3,
M4, M5 and M6 very cheaply. Can I assume one of these sizes will fit?

My newish handles take what would appear to be M6 grub screws (actually
they measure as 5.9mm OD but I assume that's intended to be 6mm rather
than 15/64") with a 3mm allen key

It is a fairly new door handle so I assume it is metric. Is M2 so
small as to be excludable? I assume it's 'cup point'. Thanks.

Thanks.

Mine are cone point, the square bar through the latch is split at both
ends, with a V-groove which the grub screw tightens into and spreads the
split end, forcing it against the edges of the hole in the handle.

My square bar has no groove. I think that's why the other type of
grub screw is used.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Mar 2017 08:49:11 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

Scott wrote:
I need a replacement grub screw for a door handle (okay - I don't need
one but I'm a perfectionist). I see I can get a pack containing M3,
M4, M5 and M6 very cheaply. Can I assume one of these sizes will fit?
It is a fairly new door handle so I assume it is metric. Is M2 so
small as to be excludable? I assume it's 'cup point'. Thanks.

Can't you measure the existing one, or at least guess its size.

The M sizes are simply outside diameter in mm.

That was the missing link! I have measured and it will be M5 or M6 so
I will just order up the pack of 40 assorted. Thanks for your help.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Scott" wrote in message
I need a replacement grub screw for a door handle (okay - I don't need
one but I'm a perfectionist). I see I can get a pack containing M3,
M4, M5 and M6 very cheaply.

oh you can get them

when I needed one I couldn't find one anywhere

I had to take this item back for a refund claiming it wasn't supplied (and
this wasn't one required for perfection, the item fell off the wall without
it)

I didn't actually know if I had lost it or if it really wasn't supplied, but
the 20 mile round trip to take it back was more than the costs of buying one
(if I could find one) so I was prepared to suffer the costs...

and then a couple of years later I found a random grub screw on the floor in
the corner of the room - did I feel guilty!

(I'm a bloke you can take it as read that I am useless at vacuuming)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 20:57:04 +0000, Scott
wrote:

I need a replacement grub screw for a door handle (okay - I don't need
one but I'm a perfectionist). I see I can get a pack containing M3,
M4, M5 and M6 very cheaply. Can I assume one of these sizes will fit?
It is a fairly new door handle so I assume it is metric. Is M2 so
small as to be excludable? I assume it's 'cup point'. Thanks.

Thanks to all who commented. An entirely satisfactory outcome ensued
here. I ordered the 40 pack for £2.50 (including postage) and the
first one I tried fitted!

I can even repair the handle on the gents at the office. I feel
tempted to invoice the management £35 !!!