Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default CCTV networking problem

I've set up a Hikvision DS-7608NI-E2/8P/A NVR with four Hikvision
DS-2CD2042WD-I cameras plugged directly into and running on it. They're
all currently in the same room as I wanted to get them working before I
started running cable.

However, once they're installed outside, I will need to be able to plug
them into a TP-Link TL-SG1008P eight port PoE switch in the garage which
is connected to a router inside the house and next to where the NVR will
live. Problem is, as soon as I remove the cameras from the direct
connection into the NVR, plug them into the switch and then plug the
switch into the NVR, they can no longer be found by the NVR.

The house network has addresses in the range 192.168.178.***

The NVR is on the network at 192.168.178.50 but has an 'internal NIC
address' of 192.168.254.1 and has allocated the cameras with
192.168.254.22/26/28/11.

Is that where the problem is? If it is, what do I need to change?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/03/2017 20:44, F wrote:
[...]

Not quite accurate... when I run the cameras through the switch, camera
1 is detected and the image shown. The other three are not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:
[...]

OK, you've got two networks here. When you plug the cameras into the
recorder directly, the recorder configures them automatically on its
internal network of 192.168.254.0 - and since it does this, it knows
about the cameras and adds them automatically. When you plug into the
switch, the cameras are on the house network. They'll get an IP address
from the router, and since the recorder doesn't know about them you'll
have to add them manually. The process is in chapter 9 of the manual -
see
https://www.surveillance-video.com/m...ies-Manual.pdf
if you haven't got it. You might have to look at the router interface to
see what IP address the cameras got.
The alternative, if you don't have anything else in the garage, is to
unplug the garage switch from the router and plug it into a port on the
recorder. This should then configure the cameras automatically the same
as when they're connected directly.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 9 Mar 2017 21:05:24 +0000, F news@nowhere wrote:

On 09/03/2017 20:44, F wrote:
[...]

Are you saying that the DVR has its own DHCP server in addition to
your router?

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Mike
Humphrey escribió:

OK, you've got two networks here.

I'm wondering if he could just change the netmask to 255.255.0.0 on
everything (and configure DHCP on the router to hand out that netmask).
That would bring it all (his existing LAN and the camera LAN) within one
network.

Since the 192.168.0.0 range isn't publicly routable, I don't see there
being a problem.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It does sound a little strange this.
I wonder if the problem is that now everyone has fixed their addresses and
so only one agrees. Be interesting to see if any one on its own works as
well. Also all the data from all the cameras is now going to just one port
on the router from the switch and some switches and some routers find it
lets say a challenge to cope.

I've seen this with multiple computers as well. Strangely the dumbest of
network switches seem to be far less hassle in this respect.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!

On 09/03/2017 20:44, F wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2017 07:16, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo , Mike
Humphrey escribió:

OK, you've got two networks here.

I'm wondering if he could just change the netmask to 255.255.0.0 on
everything (and configure DHCP on the router to hand out that netmask).
That would bring it all (his existing LAN and the camera LAN) within one
network.

Since the 192.168.0.0 range isn't publicly routable, I don't see there
being a problem.

The only time I have seen similar symptoms was when someone put the same
MAC address into multiple instances of a device (by mistake?).
Then the switch will only route to one port for that mac address and you
only see one of them.
Without the switch (using a hub) they appeared to work fine as each
devices stack would just throw away the wrong IP address packets after
receiving them.
Needless to say when investigated the test setup used a hub and not a
switch.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 Mar 2017 07:16:11 +0000, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

OK, you've got two networks here.

I'm wondering if he could just change the netmask to 255.255.0.0 on
everything (and configure DHCP on the router to hand out that netmask).
That would bring it all (his existing LAN and the camera LAN) within one
network.

sub-net BWTH. You'll then have two DHCP servers (router and recorder)
in the same sub-net. When a bit of kit comes online it'll be a race
as to which one it gets it's configuration from. I don't think there
is anyway of forcing a device to use a given DHCP server.

The obvious solution is to give the cameras static address's within
the sub-net range of the recorder. Hopefully the recorder can also be
told that Cam 1 is 192.168.x.y, Cam 2 is 192.168.x.z, etc

Also is there an assumption that the recorder can take multiple
cameras over a single ethernet connection. Perhaps there has to be a
direct camera to port connection.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
idual.net...
[...]

Yes I'd go for static IP addresses, either configured at each camera or else
(if the router will do it) by address reservation in DHCP so the camera
still uses DHCP but always gets the same address. That's what I've done with
our cameras and also our wifi printer.

Then I know which IP addresses to browse to when I want to look at or
control a camera. If I had recording software I'm sure it would be
configured to know which IP addresses to record.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/03/2017 21:41, Mike Humphrey wrote:
F wrote:
[...]

Thanks for this. I didn't have that version of the manual and I've now
got it all working by setting the cameras up manually. What didn't help,
was that the monitor I was using had defaulted to a resolution that
omitted the menu on the left so I couldn't see, and wasn't aware of, the
options there!

All I need to do now is add in my ageing collection of indoor IP
cameras: a Foscam F18918W, a Storage Options SON-IPC1, and a Panasonic
BL-C131. The NVR can see them once I've added them manually but there's
no picture. Each one is on the 192.168.178.*** network and each one is
port forwarded so I can check it remotely. Odd that I can see their
output through a browser both inside and outside the house but not on
the NVR. Presumably there's some subtle tweak needed...?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2017 13:31, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 10 Mar 2017 07:16:11 +0000, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

OK, you've got two networks here.

I'm wondering if he could just change the netmask to 255.255.0.0 on
everything (and configure DHCP on the router to hand out that netmask).
That would bring it all (his existing LAN and the camera LAN) within one
network.

sub-net BWTH. You'll then have two DHCP servers (router and recorder)
in the same sub-net. When a bit of kit comes online it'll be a race
as to which one it gets it's configuration from. I don't think there
is anyway of forcing a device to use a given DHCP server.

The obvious solution is to give the cameras static address's within
the sub-net range of the recorder. Hopefully the recorder can also be
told that Cam 1 is 192.168.x.y, Cam 2 is 192.168.x.z, etc

And it worked! And the router is set to give them static addresses.

Also is there an assumption that the recorder can take multiple
cameras over a single ethernet connection. Perhaps there has to be a
direct camera to port connection.

No, the four cameras are available through the switch.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2017 13:43, NY wrote:
[...]

Static addresses set up on the router and the NVR can see the cameras!
I've got everything else set up like this so it seemed sensible. But
thanks for the confirmation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 Mar 2017 13:54:51 +0000, F wrote:

All I need to do now is add in my ageing collection of indoor IP
cameras: a Foscam F18918W, a Storage Options SON-IPC1, and a Panasonic
BL-C131. The NVR can see them once I've added them manually but there's
no picture. Each one is on the 192.168.178.*** network and each one is
port forwarded so I can check it remotely. Odd that I can see their
output through a browser both inside and outside the house but not on
the NVR. Presumably there's some subtle tweak needed...?

What codec(s) can he NVR handle? What codec(s) can the cameras use?
If there isn't one in common it'll be difficult requiring realtime
transcoding.

--
Cheers
Dave.

(OT) Home networking problem News UK diy 20 August 28th 14 11:04 PM
Win 7 networking Karl Townsend Metalworking 6 June 16th 14 12:57 PM
OT - Win XP Networking Adrian Brentnall[_2_] UK diy 15 April 14th 12 09:42 PM
OT home networking Graeme UK diy 46 April 15th 09 12:55 AM
cctv, dvr, kamera cctv bisnis online Home Repair 2 August 4th 08 04:37 PM