Posted to uk.d-i-y
F[_2_] F[_2_] is offline

Default CCTV networking problem

On 10/03/2017 13:31, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 10 Mar 2017 07:16:11 +0000, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

OK, you've got two networks here.

I'm wondering if he could just change the netmask to 255.255.0.0 on
everything (and configure DHCP on the router to hand out that netmask).
That would bring it all (his existing LAN and the camera LAN) within one
network.

sub-net BWTH. You'll then have two DHCP servers (router and recorder)
in the same sub-net. When a bit of kit comes online it'll be a race
as to which one it gets it's configuration from. I don't think there
is anyway of forcing a device to use a given DHCP server.

The obvious solution is to give the cameras static address's within
the sub-net range of the recorder. Hopefully the recorder can also be
told that Cam 1 is 192.168.x.y, Cam 2 is 192.168.x.z, etc

And it worked! And the router is set to give them static addresses.

Also is there an assumption that the recorder can take multiple
cameras over a single ethernet connection. Perhaps there has to be a
direct camera to port connection.

No, the four cameras are available through the switch.