Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Win 7 networking

Lightening hit the house last night... Got everything fixed, except
the office computer.

I lost the SSD boot drive on this W7 box. It is the central computer
for the 7 boxes on the place and used to backup all the other ones.
Peer to peer FWIW.

I had made a brand new SSD boot drive last winter for just this
occasion so the computer is running again. BUT, had a totally awful
terrible time networking the first time and didn't try to do it
again. What a shame, networking in XP is easy.

Anyway, I need help to set up networking on this box. Need peer to
peer but permissions set so this box can copy and modify files
everywhere. If somebody is willing to hold my hand I will gulp pay
for this sevice.

Right now my honey is looking for tutorials but I do remember totally
hosing things up before. may be easier to get help up front.

karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , Karl Townsend
wrote:

[...]

Can't help much with gluing the wreckage back into working computers,
but I do have a suggestion for future prevention: Get some LARGE surge
arrestors, the kind that one installs at the AC power panel:

...http://www.deltala.com/index.htm

I have a pair of type 300 cans, bought from the local electric supply
house, installed. Far better than the little surge-arrestor strips,
but still won't survive a direct hit.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 16:12:34 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Karl Townsend
wrote:

[...]

And when lightning is in the area..unplug the boxes from the power and
each other.

On the rare occasion we have lightening (every 4-5 yrs)..we pull the
plug on everything valuable here, as years ago in Michigan and when we
first moved to California, we lost a considerable amount of
electronics, one from a powerline strike, the other from a CB radio
antenna strike (and we had "lightning protectors" on the coax)

Gunner

"Libertarianism IS fascism... Fascism is corporate government – a Libertarian’s wet dream"
Tala Brandeis
Owner at Tala Brandeis Associates"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 16:12:34 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Karl Townsend
wrote:

Lightening hit the house last night... Got everything fixed, except
the office computer.

I lost the SSD boot drive on this W7 box. It is the central computer
for the 7 boxes on the place and used to backup all the other ones.
Peer to peer FWIW.

I had made a brand new SSD boot drive last winter for just this
occasion so the computer is running again. BUT, had a totally awful
terrible time networking the first time and didn't try to do it
again. What a shame, networking in XP is easy.

Anyway, I need help to set up networking on this box. Need peer to
peer but permissions set so this box can copy and modify files
everywhere. If somebody is willing to hold my hand I will gulp pay
for this sevice.

If you know someone who could easily solve the problem you can use
Team Viewer to allow remote fixing by them. My son has fixed problems
on my computer several times. He lives several states away from me and
takes over my computer from his home.

http://www.download-4-free.com/listi...MT7AodoHk AQA
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 16:12:34 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Karl Townsend
wrote:

[...]

====================
Your best bet may be an UPS [uninterruptable power supply]
This not only filters the surges [may blow UPS so still need
HD surge protector] but this also protects against power
line "stutter" which can be even more damaging, as it won't
trip the surge protector, but will kill your drives.

I have good service from this unit [three years so far] for
a single desk top with peripherals such as router and UBS
splitter. Has phone/fax line surge protection and has
outlets with both UPS and only surge protection, e.g.
printer. Software included for automatic shutdown that
saves any open files if computer is unattended and battery
gets low.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/CyberPower...p-UPS/10250450

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 21:06:52 -0500, F. George McDuffee
wrote:

On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 16:12:34 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Karl Townsend
wrote:

[...]

I paid $40 for my CyberPower 450va, but I don't think either one of
these would prevent damage from a direct lightning strike.

UPSes are absolutely mandatory for safe file writing and continued
running with the lousy electrical service we get nowadays. Before I
got my first one, the computer shut itself off several times a day on
bad days. If it weren't for the blink of the lights at the same time,
I'd have taken the damned thing apart and/or troubleshot it.

--
There is s no such thing as a hyphenated American who is
a good American.* The only man who is a good American is
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

UPSes are absolutely mandatory for safe file writing and continued
running with the lousy electrical service we get nowadays. Before I
got my first one, the computer shut itself off several times a day
on
bad days. If it weren't for the blink of the lights at the same
time,
I'd have taken the damned thing apart and/or troubleshot it.

That's a good reason to use a laptop with its built-in battery. Mine
has an external keyboard and mouse on the pull-out shelf and a larger
second display above it, which cure its limitations.

It consumes less than 1/4 of the power my desktop needs and can run
much longer on the UPS or a 12V jump-start pack.

The VGA output isn't noticeably less sharp on an HDTV than on the
built-in screen. I can expand the I/O with CardBus COM and USB2 ports
or an ExpressCard USB3 and plug a second hard drive into the CD bay.

-jsw

Home networking Walter E.[_2_] Home Repair 21 December 2nd 13 02:49 AM
OT - Win XP Networking Adrian Brentnall[_2_] UK diy 15 April 14th 12 09:42 PM
OT home networking Graeme UK diy 46 April 15th 09 12:55 AM
Networking Question Buck Turgidson Electronics Repair 4 October 13th 07 04:01 AM
Wireless Networking Roger_N Metalworking 15 August 22nd 07 04:11 PM