Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Win 7 networking

On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 16:12:34 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Karl Townsend
wrote:

Lightening hit the house last night... Got everything fixed, except
the office computer.

I lost the SSD boot drive on this W7 box. It is the central computer
for the 7 boxes on the place and used to backup all the other ones.
Peer to peer FWIW.

I had made a brand new SSD boot drive last winter for just this
occasion so the computer is running again. BUT, had a totally awful
terrible time networking the first time and didn't try to do it
again. What a shame, networking in XP is easy.

Anyway, I need help to set up networking on this box. Need peer to
peer but permissions set so this box can copy and modify files
everywhere. If somebody is willing to hold my hand I will gulp pay
for this sevice.

Right now my honey is looking for tutorials but I do remember totally
hosing things up before. may be easier to get help up front.

Can't help much with gluing the wreckage back into working computers,
but I do have a suggestion for future prevention: Get some LARGE surge
arrestors, the kind that one installs at the AC power panel:

..http://www.deltala.com/index.htm

I have a pair of type 300 cans, bought from the local electric supply
house, installed. Far better than the little surge-arrestor strips,
but still won't survive a direct hit.

Joe Gwinn

And when lightning is in the area..unplug the boxes from the power and
each other.

On the rare occasion we have lightening (every 4-5 yrs)..we pull the
plug on everything valuable here, as years ago in Michigan and when we
first moved to California, we lost a considerable amount of
electronics, one from a powerline strike, the other from a CB radio
antenna strike (and we had "lightning protectors" on the coax)

Gunner

"Libertarianism IS fascism... Fascism is corporate government – a Libertarian’s wet dream"
Tala Brandeis
Owner at Tala Brandeis Associates"