Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Wireless Networking

I have a CNC lathe running with EMC2 under Linux. My home network is on the
East side of my house and my shop is on the West side... the Lathe PC
doesn't get a wireless signal, or at least my laptop doesn't get a reliable
signal when positioned by the lathe. I like having the lathe PC networked
to get updates, look up info, etc. Also it would be nice if in the future I
could get file sharing to work on my network so I can send the CNC files to
the lathe PC. ...And in the future I hope to convert my Anilam Crusader II
CNC Bridgeport to EMC2 control...

Anyway, I've been searching and reading and here's what I have come up with
so far. I can get a wireless bridge that I plug into my lathe PC's Ethernet
port and position it to where it picks up a good signal (by a window). I
like this solution because I know my ethernet card works on my Linux PC, I'm
not sure what would be involved in getting a USB network adapter working
with the Linux I'm running. So if I can configure a wireless bridge and run
a network cable to it, I should be in business.

I have an old wireless router from the 11mbps days that I have been able to
plug into my current wireless router and can connect to either router. The
2nd router is plugged from its WAN port with a Crossover cable to a port on
the current router. I configured the 2nd router on a different channel.
Now I have 2 routers I can connect to, the purpose of this is to position
one as close to the shop as I can needing only an ethernet crossover cable
and a power source (or PoE(power over ethernet)).

Another idea is a long distance wireless link. Get a weatherproof enclosure
to mount the wireless bridge and an outdoor directional antenna (cantenna)
on one end and an wireless access point with a directional antenna at the
other end and you have a long distance connection( I read about a 20mile
wireless link). If you keep the wireless device close to the antenna you
cut down on antenna cable losses you would have if you just lengthened the
antenna cable. This is supposed to be line of sight, so if there are
obstacles, you might have to mount the thing on a roof or tower.

I've been reading up on this lately to try to share my internet connection
with my Linux CNC lathe PC and also to have internet connection sharing out
at a cabin being put up at my pond about 800' away, across a road, and
thought a tree line. Perhaps this info could be useful to others and others
might have info/experience they would want to share.

Thanks!

Roger Neal

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I forgot to put links to one of the better rated products and instructions
for making your own directional antenna.

http://www.techonweb.com/products/pr...=C34537&src=PG

http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 16, 11:34 am, "Roger_N" wrote:
[...]

Ever seen if you can get the 2 routers to cross connect?

Router A in the house Router B in th shop and if router B can connect
to router A then you have 4ish network jacks for all the older
computers in the shop and a Wireless point there too

I have a similar configuration where i use a wireless router ONLY as a
wireless access point and then it forwards the wireless traffic to my
main one

Otherwise your simplest option is toput the 2nd wireless in the other
corner of the house and have an "East" and "West" wireless and ideally
one of the 2 will cover the shop well

In the shop if you have antiquated computers that are NOT wireless
friendly you Could have an old switch or router plugged into a
wireless enabled PC and use the PC as a bridge

if you have an old switch plugged into a wireless pc it gives you the
shop LAN that can share files with all the traffic goping through the
Bridge PC across the wireless to the main LAN then the net

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Roger, can you in any way just get an Ethernet cable to your garage
(like through the basement)? That would be better.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Right now this is sort of a temporary arrangment, I don't have a proper shop
building yet. For now I have been running a 100 foot ethernet cable to my
lathe, trying not to crush it in the door. I could drill a hole through the
East wall and run the cable outdoors around the house and into the shop
(carport). I don't know of any good access under the house, the crawl space
is thinner than I am in places and I have seen bees, snakes, brown recluse
spiders, rats, and ??? under there! It wouldn't take me long to wish I
would have just bought the wireless ethernet converter!

Thanks

Roger Neal

"Ignoramus18364" wrote in message
Roger, can you in any way just get an Ethernet cable to your garage
(like through the basement)? That would be better.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The Buffalo ethernet converter is supposed to be something like a router in
reverse. You can connect multiple computers in the shop to it with ethernet
cables and it will connect to your wireless access point, giving your shop
network access to your wireless router network and internet connection. The
wireless router gives a wired network a wireless access point, the Buffalo
ethernet converter is supposed to connect a wired network to a wireless
access point if I understand it correctly.

Roger Neal

"Brent" wrote in message
ups.com...
snip

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Roger_N" wrote in
:

snip
Anyway, I've been searching and reading and here's what I have come up
with so far. I can get a wireless bridge that I plug into my lathe
PC's Ethernet port and position it to where it picks up a good signal
(by a window). I like this solution because I know my ethernet card
works on my Linux PC, I'm not sure what would be involved in getting a
USB network adapter working with the Linux I'm running. So if I can
configure a wireless bridge and run a network cable to it, I should be
in business.

snip

I just went through something similar with a Thin Client using PClinuxOS,
the original WinCE worked fine with a usb wireless adapter but the version
of explorer was severly limited as to be useless so I went with PClinuxOS
which would run on the limited hardware. For the unit to work so in
desperation I got an AirStation125 High Power Wireless Ethernet Converter,
a wireless bridge, it worked flawlessly and was simple to hook into the
existing wireless system. I got it from Provantage

http://www.provantage.com/buffalo-te...p~7BFLO025.htm

it cost around 55 bucks with 5 shipping. Nice unit and it gave me an easy
way to hook up a networked printer located at the same spot as the thin
client. I have it running WEP with mac address filters on the router it
talks to, that and turning off the 'Hello I'm here' function on the router
gives me enough security. It also does WPA but I have a couple of hand
helds that wont so for now I'm stuck with WEP.

Bill
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I run a Cisco N type router in my office in the East end of the house.
North and a little more east by 300 feet or so is my 15' tall 30x30 metal
building. The computer is in the middle of the shop. The RF gives me
a very good connection. From the shop, I run RF printer. - A 5Simx.
That computer drives my CNC plasma table a few feet from it.

It sounds like you want to upload or put on the shop disk designs,
then go do them. - logical - else get a 4G or 1G USB stick and see if
the Linux supports them (suspect so due to design frame).

Martin
Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

Roger_N wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

According to Roger_N :
Right now this is sort of a temporary arrangment, I don't have a proper shop
building yet. For now I have been running a 100 foot ethernet cable to my
lathe, trying not to crush it in the door. I could drill a hole through the
East wall and run the cable outdoors around the house and into the shop
(carport). I don't know of any good access under the house, the crawl space
is thinner than I am in places and I have seen bees, snakes, brown recluse
spiders, rats, and ??? under there! It wouldn't take me long to wish I
would have just bought the wireless ethernet converter!

However -- an argument in favor of cable vs wireless is that you
don't have to worry about someone driving by looking for a "hot spot"
connecting to your system and interrupting a running machining job.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 16, 11:05 pm, (DoN. Nichols) wrote:
According to Roger_N :

[...]

(too) near Washington D.C. |http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html

I would hope the job would be FTP'ed to the local CNC machine before
it would ever be run

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007, "Roger_N" wrote:
"Ignoramus18364" wrote...

Roger, can you in any way just get an Ethernet cable to your garage
(like through the basement)? That would be better.

Right now this is sort of a temporary arrangment, I don't have a proper shop
building yet. For now I have been running a 100 foot ethernet cable to my
lathe, trying not to crush it in the door. I could drill a hole through the
East wall and run the cable outdoors around the house and into the shop
(carport). I don't know of any good access under the house, the crawl space
is thinner than I am in places and I have seen bees, snakes, brown recluse
spiders, rats, and ??? under there! It wouldn't take me long to wish I
would have just bought the wireless ethernet converter!

It is disgustingly simple and easy to run a semi-permanent wired
Ethernet cable out to your garage - it's one of the things I regularly
do. They sell the solid CAT-5e cable by the foot at The Borg, or you
break down and get a full 500' or 1K' Pop-Box. Two female jacks and a
wall-plate or surface monument for both ends, and a short patch cord
at each end to the lathe computer NIC and the router port.

A punch tool is optional, though it makes it go a lot faster. The
jacks often come with a plastic non-cutting punch tool, and then you
have to clip the wires by hand after terminating them.

If you want to protect the wire from minor hazards you run it in
1/2" PVC conduit (grey) where it's exposed to the weather. And if you
run the conduit underground to a detached shop when you finally build
one, they make the same cable that's gel-filled and rated for
underground use - but you still want it in conduit for physical
protection.

The only thing you have to watch is you can't go more than 300' from
Hub-Computer on regular CAT-5e cable. If it's over 300' you need to
have another hub in the middle to act as a signal repeater, or get a
Media Converter for each end and make the long link on fiber-optics or
with special Long-Haul link equipment.

Wireless Ethernet is not too hard to secure - but I still won't use
it unless it's the absolute last resort. I've heard of way too many
security incidents, some where the users /thought/ they had it
configured and secured properly...

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 10:34:32 -0500, "Roger_N"
wrote:

I have a CNC lathe running with EMC2 under Linux. My home network is on the
East side of my house and my shop is on the West side... the Lathe PC
doesn't get a wireless signal, or at least my laptop doesn't get a reliable
signal when positioned by the lathe. I like having the lathe PC networked
to get updates, look up info, etc. Also it would be nice if in the future I
could get file sharing to work on my network so I can send the CNC files to
the lathe PC. ...And in the future I hope to convert my Anilam Crusader II
CNC Bridgeport to EMC2 control...

snipped
I've been reading up on this lately to try to share my internet connection
with my Linux CNC lathe PC and also to have internet connection sharing out
at a cabin being put up at my pond about 800' away, across a road, and
thought a tree line. Perhaps this info could be useful to others and others
might have info/experience they would want to share.

Thanks!

Roger Neal

If you haven't already, you might try moving your wireless router
around, the lathe PC may be in a radio "shadow". Moving the router
just a few inches could fix it. Wall studs, wiring, concrete & brick
all attenuate the signal between transmitter & receiver. A few inches
shift can radically change the total amount of attenuation.

Or it might be easier to relocate the router in the next room closer
to the lathe than to try to get a bridge setup working.

I have a Cisco wireless certification and have done quite a bit of
this kind of thing.

HTH
Mike
Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I just bought a Belkin "range extender" access point/repeater for $35. I
configured it as a repeater and it gives me some good signal strength in the
shop. Part of the problem is I'm not sure if my wireless PCI card is
compatible with my Linux PC, I haven't messed with it since I got the
repeater working at ~2AM this morning.

For my wireless link to the cabin about ~800' away, would it work to use an
access point with a directional antenna pointed toward the cabin, then that
access point be wired with a crossover cable to a wireless bridge pointed to
my house wireless router? (like a repeater with directional client/AP
antennas pointed in different directions) At the cabin we would have a
Bridge or wireless adapter pointed toward the house.

Thanks!
Roger N

"Mike Patterson" wrote in message
snip

If you haven't already, you might try moving your wireless router
around, the lathe PC may be in a radio "shadow". Moving the router
just a few inches could fix it. Wall studs, wiring, concrete & brick
all attenuate the signal between transmitter & receiver. A few inches
shift can radically change the total amount of attenuation.

Or it might be easier to relocate the router in the next room closer
to the lathe than to try to get a bridge setup working.

I have a Cisco wireless certification and have done quite a bit of
this kind of thing.

HTH
Mike
Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." -
Lily Tomlin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have a CNC lathe running with EMC2 under Linux. My home network is on the
East side of my house and my shop is on the West side... the Lathe PC
doesn't get a wireless signal, or at least my laptop doesn't get a reliable
signal when positioned by the lathe. I like having the lathe PC networked
to get updates, look up info, etc. Also it would be nice if in the future I
could get file sharing to work on my network so I can send the CNC files to
the lathe PC. ...And in the future I hope to convert my Anilam Crusader II
CNC Bridgeport to EMC2 control...

snip

Another option is to use "Homeplug" power line ethernet adapters. My
basement shop has a plaster over expanded metal lath ceiling, which makes
a very effective faraday cage between my wireless access point and my
shop. Running an ethernet cable would be a pain in ass, but I already
have AC wiring.

There are several versions of Homeplug; Homeplug 1 (good for about 5
Megabits/sec real data rate), Turbo (about 2-3 times faster), and
Homeplug AV, which is supposed to get you closer to 80-90 Megabits/sec,
which is a good bit faster than wireless. Homeplug AV is new, and is
designed to be able to ship multiple high quality video streams around
your house. The idea is that every TV, stereo, computer, etc. will have
the Homeplug AV chipset built in, so all you have to do to network them
is plug them into the wall. Intel is going to start putting chips into
some computers fairly soon, and most of the home entertainment companies
are part of the Homeplug alliance. There are a couple of companies
making the AV chipsets now, and they seem to have worked out some
interoperability issues. In theory, any "compliant" device will work
with any other, and they have been running extensive tests before
certifying any new equipment.

The two older standards have wireless extender kits, which consist of an
ethernet box that you plug into the wall connect to your router, and a
combination Homeplug interface/wirless box that you would put in the
shop. It plugs into the wall to talk to the other box, and has a
wireless access point built in.

I've been holding out for Homeplug AV because I will probably end up with
other Homeplug AV widgets in the future, whether I want them or not.
Unfortunately, nobody has a wireless extender setup for Homeplug AV yet.
If all you want is an ethernet connection, Linksys & Netgear both have
kits with two boxes, one of which could go to a wireless access point in
your shop.

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 20:57:13 GMT, (Doug White)
wrote:

[...]

Winblows XP has the capability of acting as a bridge...and its been
claimed it can be used as a router/repeater.

Sticking an old box with a couple network cards in some location that
can be seen from both locations...

Might be a cool task for one of those slims

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

Winblows XP has the capability of acting as a bridge...and its been
claimed it can be used as a router/repeater.

Sticking an old box with a couple network cards in some location that
can be seen from both locations...

Might be a cool task for one of those slims

Gunner

I have a Buffalo high power wireless router and a Buffalo high power
wireless bridge "Ethernet converter" coming in UPS today. I think I can
connect them together without a PC and have a system that could work like a
satellite except be ground based. Also, my Linux PC lathe control is right
next to my West end of the house, which is the direction of the cabin going
in at the pond. I may be able to mount an access point there with a
directional antenna pointed at the cabin and use the linux PC to pass the
connection to my home network. I should be fun and/or frustrating
experimenting with this!

RogerN