Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default (OT) Home networking problem

This is driving me insane. A desktop PC running W7, and a Tosh Netbook
running XP. All my docts are on the desktop, but frequently accessed
(read/write) from the netbook. All worked perfectly until a week ago,
when I moved a folder (A) on the desktop from root to within another
folder (B). Folder (A) was not shared, but folder (B) was shared. From
that point, I could not access (B) across the network. I could see it,
but trying to access it resulted in access is denied message. I moved
(A) back to root, but still cannot access either (A) or (B).

Sitting at the desktop, I have right clicked the two folders, set
sharing, rebooted both machines but still access is denied. I must be
missing something obvious, but what?

I should mention that there are other folders on the desktop which I can
access via the netbook, so there seems to be nothing wrong with the
network itself.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/2014 11:02, News wrote:

[...]

If you want to know why, ask Billysoft.

File sharing under 'Doze can be a nightmare.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John Williamson
writes

File sharing under 'Doze can be a nightmare.

Yes, thank you John :-)

I've been attempting to run little networks ever since Windows for
Workgroups, and, although it usually works eventually, I have never felt
entirely confident that I can just go through a known procedure, and it
will work. It has never been that simple. I think I was most confident
with 98 and XP. 7 is an utter nightmare with, as has been said, myriad
permissions to sort and understand.

My current problem has, I think, happened before, but eventually (days),
it has suddenly started working again, with absolutely no intervention
from me. This time it is more than a week, and nothing.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/14 11:02, News wrote:

[...]

Do this,

1. From a command prompt, type "NET USE" and check paths shown are what
you believe shared.

2. Find a folder that does share OK (C) and list on a scrap of paper the
following
a) Folder Security Permissions
b) Folder Sharing Permissions

3. Compare A, B with C - take particular note on permissions set for
'Users' - and make corrective changes where lacking permissions in A & B

I only use professional versions of Windows. On home versions some of
the access to sharing permisions may be dumbed out, or replaced with
their equally dumb homegroups & libraries mess.

In that case, shift to Linux..... chmod / chown anybody?

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adrian C
writes
On 26/08/14 11:02, News wrote:

I should mention that there are other folders on the desktop which I can
access via the netbook, so there seems to be nothing wrong with the
network itself.

Do this,

1. From a command prompt, type "NET USE" and check paths shown are what
you believe shared.

Thanks Adrian. I have done that from the netbook, and, interestingly,
the two that do not work are listed, status OK, but the other four,
which do work, are not listed.

I will repeat the test from the desktop end, and see what that says.

--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/14 12:45, News wrote:

1. From a command prompt, type "NET USE" and check paths shown are
what you believe shared.

Thanks Adrian. I have done that from the netbook, and, interestingly,
the two that do not work are listed, status OK, but the other four,
which do work, are not listed.

I will repeat the test from the desktop end, and see what that says.

Desktop end is where I would start in all of this

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adrian C
writes

Do this,

1. From a command prompt, type "NET USE" and check paths shown are what
you believe shared.

I'm now sitting in front of the desktop. Typing NET USE at the command
prompt (root) says 'There are no entries in the list'. Changing from
root to any of the folders that are available over the network produces
the same result.

All of these are on G: not C:

Changing from G: to C: produces the same result.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/2014 12:10, Adrian C wrote:
On 26/08/14 11:02, News wrote:

[...]

But then he would need to add in options to get the same ACLs that
windows uses. ACLs are more secure than the linux standard stuff.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/14 13:55, News wrote:
In message , Adrian C
writes

Do this,

1. From a command prompt, type "NET USE" and check paths shown are
what you believe shared.

I'm now sitting in front of the desktop. Typing NET USE at the command
prompt (root) says 'There are no entries in the list'. Changing from
root to any of the folders that are available over the network produces
the same result.

All of these are on G: not C:

Changing from G: to C: produces the same result.

Sorry, on the desktop, NET SHARE will list them.

Windows has built in help for NET commands - they show results and act
at the machine root scope. Changing C: or G: beforehand does not make a
difference to the invocation of these commands.

More interested you checking out permissions on the folders on that
machine. And checking out Folder A,B has the same/similar settings to C.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adrian C
writes

This is all on one drive G:, on the desktop, under which there are 6
folders, and multiple sub folders. All should be shared. Looking at G:
from the netbook, I can see all 6, but only four are accessible.

1. From a command prompt, type "NET USE" and check paths shown are what
you believe shared.

OK. Using NET SHARE on the desktop, I can see all 6 listed.

2. Find a folder that does share OK (C) and list on a scrap of paper
the following
a) Folder Security Permissions

I hope I'm looking in the correct place. Right click the folder name,
Properties, Security and Sharing tabs.

Security permissions show my name with 7 options, with 6 ticks. The
only one not ticked is Special permissions.

b) Folder Sharing Permissions

Again, under my name, Permission Level is Read/Write. Same for Everyone
and Homegroup.

3. Compare A, B with C - take particular note on permissions set for
'Users' - and make corrective changes where lacking permissions in A & B

I must be missing the obvious. They all look exactly the same.

Just realised that I cannot access the netbook from the desktop, either.
I can see it, but not access it.
--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/14 17:10, News wrote:

Just realised that I cannot access the netbook from the desktop, either.
I can see it, but not access it.

Are you using the same username / password combination on both?

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adrian C
writes
On 26/08/14 17:10, News wrote:

Just realised that I cannot access the netbook from the desktop, either.
I can see it, but not access it.

Are you using the same username / password combination on both?

Yes.

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/14 17:44, News wrote:
In message , Adrian C
writes
On 26/08/14 17:10, News wrote:

Just realised that I cannot access the netbook from the desktop, either.
I can see it, but not access it.

Are you using the same username / password combination on both?

Yes.

Over Draconian Firewall software?

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/14 17:54, Adrian C wrote:

Over Draconian Firewall software?

sorry - Scrap that.....

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adrian C
writes
On 26/08/14 17:54, Adrian C wrote:

Over Draconian Firewall software?

sorry - Scrap that.....

Getting back to the user name, I should have qualified that. Both
machines have the same user name, but the netbook has a password,
whereas the desktop does not. Should I add the password to the desktop,
too? I'm sure I removed it for a good reason, ages ago.

--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , News
writes
In message , John Williamson
writes

File sharing under 'Doze can be a nightmare.

Yes, thank you John :-)

I've been attempting to run little networks ever since Windows for
Workgroups, and, although it usually works eventually, I have never
felt entirely confident that I can just go through a known procedure,
and it will work. It has never been that simple. I think I was most
confident with 98 and XP. 7 is an utter nightmare with, as has been
said, myriad permissions to sort and understand.

My current problem has, I think, happened before, but eventually
(days), it has suddenly started working again, with absolutely no
intervention from me. This time it is more than a week, and nothing.

Have you been to Advanced sharing options and set Permissions to
everyone and ticked Full Control?
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

bert wrote:
In message , News
writes
In message , John Williamson
writes

File sharing under 'Doze can be a nightmare.

Yes, thank you John :-)

I've been attempting to run little networks ever since Windows for
Workgroups, and, although it usually works eventually, I have never
felt entirely confident that I can just go through a known procedure,
and it will work. It has never been that simple. I think I was most
confident with 98 and XP. 7 is an utter nightmare with, as has been
said, myriad permissions to sort and understand.

My current problem has, I think, happened before, but eventually
(days), it has suddenly started working again, with absolutely no
intervention from me. This time it is more than a week, and nothing.

Have you been to Advanced sharing options and set Permissions to
everyone and ticked Full Control?

I am intrigued by seeing other peoples network experiences. I find that
only the Linux and Android machines which I have, set themselves up and
behave reliably in the network. Windows I regard as having deteriorated
seriously since W95 and XP is a real pain to keep network connected.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Capitol
writes
bert wrote:
In message , News
writes
In message , John Williamson
writes

[...]

Well the more complicated the more control you actually have. Perhaps
Windows is aimed at larger networks and so defaults to a more secure
setting.
Without wanting to defend M$ in any way much is aimed at those who
actually have time to read the documentation or can afford to go on
courses rather than the home user who relies on the intuitive nature of
the software. Hence the Office 2010 ribbon drives me up the wall!!!
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Huge
writes
On 2014-08-28, bert ] wrote:

Hence the Office 2010 ribbon drives me up the wall!!!

I prefer it. Much easier to use than the previous clutter.

Clutter is exactly the word I would use to describe the ribbon - but
each to his own
--
bert

Win 7 networking Karl Townsend Metalworking 6 June 16th 14 12:57 PM
Home networking Walter E.[_2_] Home Repair 21 December 2nd 13 02:49 AM
OT home networking Graeme UK diy 46 April 15th 09 12:55 AM
Is CAT6 worth it for home networking? Pandora UK diy 36 July 22nd 05 11:30 PM
Home Networking/ Patch Panel Questions nicoll UK diy 16 April 28th 05 03:52 AM