Posted to uk.d-i-y
F[_2_] F[_2_] is offline

Default CCTV networking problem

On 09/03/2017 21:41, Mike Humphrey wrote:
F wrote:
I've set up a Hikvision DS-7608NI-E2/8P/A NVR with four Hikvision
DS-2CD2042WD-I cameras plugged directly into and running on it. They're
all currently in the same room as I wanted to get them working before I
started running cable.

However, once they're installed outside, I will need to be able to plug
them into a TP-Link TL-SG1008P eight port PoE switch in the garage which
is connected to a router inside the house and next to where the NVR will
live. Problem is, as soon as I remove the cameras from the direct
connection into the NVR, plug them into the switch and then plug the
switch into the NVR, they can no longer be found by the NVR.

The house network has addresses in the range 192.168.178.***

The NVR is on the network at 192.168.178.50 but has an 'internal NIC
address' of 192.168.254.1 and has allocated the cameras with
192.168.254.22/26/28/11.

Is that where the problem is? If it is, what do I need to change?

OK, you've got two networks here. When you plug the cameras into the
recorder directly, the recorder configures them automatically on its
internal network of 192.168.254.0 - and since it does this, it knows
about the cameras and adds them automatically. When you plug into the
switch, the cameras are on the house network. They'll get an IP address
from the router, and since the recorder doesn't know about them you'll
have to add them manually. The process is in chapter 9 of the manual -
see
https://www.surveillance-video.com/m...ies-Manual.pdf
if you haven't got it. You might have to look at the router interface to
see what IP address the cameras got.
The alternative, if you don't have anything else in the garage, is to
unplug the garage switch from the router and plug it into a port on the
recorder. This should then configure the cameras automatically the same
as when they're connected directly.

Thanks for this. I didn't have that version of the manual and I've now
got it all working by setting the cameras up manually. What didn't help,
was that the monitor I was using had defaulted to a resolution that
omitted the menu on the left so I couldn't see, and wasn't aware of, the
options there!

All I need to do now is add in my ageing collection of indoor IP
cameras: a Foscam F18918W, a Storage Options SON-IPC1, and a Panasonic
BL-C131. The NVR can see them once I've added them manually but there's
no picture. Each one is on the 192.168.178.*** network and each one is
port forwarded so I can check it remotely. Odd that I can see their
output through a browser both inside and outside the house but not on
the NVR. Presumably there's some subtle tweak needed...?