Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New Aerial socket

Just getting around to changing plastic to brushed chrome for all the
sockets and switches in kitchen.
There is a TV Aerial outlet for a small TV. The signal is not great - Would
I be better to use a satellite type of socket rather than traditional Co-
ax?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 12 December 2016 12:29:21 UTC, DerbyBorn wrote:

Just getting around to changing plastic to brushed chrome for all the
sockets and switches in kitchen.
There is a TV Aerial outlet for a small TV. The signal is not great - Would
I be better to use a satellite type of socket rather than traditional Co-
ax?

Maybe you mean F plug? If so, no, a wall socket wants to be unpluggable.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
.222...
Just getting around to changing plastic to brushed chrome for all the
sockets and switches in kitchen.
There is a TV Aerial outlet for a small TV. The signal is not great -
Would
I be better to use a satellite type of socket rather than traditional Co-
ax?

wouldn't make a bit of difference .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 12 December 2016 12:29:21 UTC, DerbyBorn wrote:
Just getting around to changing plastic to brushed chrome for all the
sockets and switches in kitchen.
There is a TV Aerial outlet for a small TV. The signal is not great - Would
I be better to use a satellite type of socket rather than traditional Co-
ax?

won't do any harm, and it gives you the option to shove satellite through the same faceplate at a later date (when matching faceplates might have been discontinued)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:

Just getting around to changing plastic to brushed chrome for all the
sockets and switches in kitchen.
There is a TV Aerial outlet for a small TV. The signal is not great - Would
I be better to use a satellite type of socket rather than traditional Co-
ax?

Probably won't make a detectable difference unless you change the coax
to the aerial as well. At which point you might as well get a better
aerial.

--

Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
DerbyBorn wrote:
Just getting around to changing plastic to brushed chrome for all the
sockets and switches in kitchen. There is a TV Aerial outlet for a small
TV. The signal is not great - Would I be better to use a satellite type
of socket rather than traditional Co- ax?

No. And consider that a Belling Lee type just pulls out easily. A screw in
connection could be a safety hazard.

--
*Who is this General Failure chap anyway - and why is he reading my HD? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
DerbyBorn wrote:
Just getting around to changing plastic to brushed chrome for all the
sockets and switches in kitchen. There is a TV Aerial outlet for a small
TV. The signal is not great - Would I be better to use a satellite type
of socket rather than traditional Co- ax?

No. And consider that a Belling Lee type just pulls out easily. A screw in
connection could be a safety hazard.

pulling out has always been a good idea ......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 12 December 2016 14:20:11 UTC, Lobster wrote:
On 12 Dec 2016, tabbypurr:
On Monday, 12 December 2016 12:29:21 UTC, DerbyBorn wrote:

Just getting around to changing plastic to brushed chrome for all the
sockets and switches in kitchen.
There is a TV Aerial outlet for a small TV. The signal is not great -
Would I be better to use a satellite type of socket rather than
traditional Co- ax?

Maybe you mean F plug? If so, no, a wall socket wants to be
unpluggable.

Why so? Why not just 'unscrewable'?

If you have a cable TV connection, that will indeed use an F-plug/socket on
the wall, and that won't be unpluggable, so I fail to see the difference.

If it's a potential safety issue, then at least the OP's would have an
'unpluggable' plug at the TV end (unlike the case with a cable TV
connection).

You can do what you like. Personally I don't see any upside in replacing the connector with one that requires pliers then a minute of stiff turning just to unplug. Belling-Lees aren't ideal either, but they're a lot better suited to that location than F plugs. The signal quality wants addressing elsewhere, an F plug won't cure it.

Cue a long pointless discussion about total trivia.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If the signal is not great, I'd have not thought it was the socket unless
its shorted out or open circuit. Have you tested it or looked inside?
To be honest, I don't like screw in aerials myself, as its far too easy to
damage something when you trip up over the flying lead. Often the actual
flying lead is the weakest link in the chain. they often use rubbish cable
for cheapness.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
.222...
Just getting around to changing plastic to brushed chrome for all the
sockets and switches in kitchen.
There is a TV Aerial outlet for a small TV. The signal is not great -
Would
I be better to use a satellite type of socket rather than traditional Co-
ax?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It might also be a good idea to find out where the cable actually goes. if
its merely a splitter off the main aerial and that has a good signal then
more investigation is needed. It could be a separate aerial in not such a
good place so again, this might be an issue with water in the coax etc. Lots
of reasons for marginal signals really.
Brian

--
----- -

DerbyBorn wrote:
Just getting around to changing plastic to brushed chrome for all the
sockets and switches in kitchen. There is a TV Aerial outlet for a small
TV. The signal is not great - Would I be better to use a satellite type
of socket rather than traditional Co- ax?

No. And consider that a Belling Lee type just pulls out easily. A screw
in
connection could be a safety hazard.

pulling out has always been a good idea ......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
.222...
Just getting around to changing plastic to brushed chrome for all the
sockets and switches in kitchen.
There is a TV Aerial outlet for a small TV. The signal is not great -
Would
I be better to use a satellite type of socket rather than traditional Co-
ax?

The problem isnt the socket, it’s the antenna on the other end of the cable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"grjw" wrote in
:

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
.222...
Just getting around to changing plastic to brushed chrome for all the
sockets and switches in kitchen.
There is a TV Aerial outlet for a small TV. The signal is not great -
Would
I be better to use a satellite type of socket rather than traditional
Co- ax?

The problem isnt the socket, it’s the antenna on the other end of the
cable.

My problem is the coax in the house. Tripping is not a hazard as the tv is
on a worktop right up against the socket. Sometimes I need to wiggle the
plug to remove the tarnish!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in
news
It might also be a good idea to find out where the cable actually
goes. if its merely a splitter off the main aerial and that has a good
signal then more investigation is needed. It could be a separate
aerial in not such a good place so again, this might be an issue with
water in the coax etc. Lots of reasons for marginal signals really.
Brian

I agree Brian. Signal is not great due to the house being low down and
having a double hipped roof, but I have a vey tall mast but still not
really enough to see over the trees. I use Virgin Cable on Main TV so the
aerial now only serves the kitchen - via a splitter with satellite type
connectors.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2016 17:33, DerbyBorn wrote:
I agree Brian. Signal is not great due to the house being low down and
having a double hipped roof, but I have a vey tall mast but still not
really enough to see over the trees. I use Virgin Cable on Main TV so the
aerial now only serves the kitchen - via a splitter with satellite type
connectors.

The splinter will reduce the signal strength by a few db so if the
kitchen is the only place it serves you could dispense with the splinter.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike Clarke wrote:
On 12/12/2016 17:33, DerbyBorn wrote:
I agree Brian. Signal is not great due to the house being low down and
having a double hipped roof, but I have a vey tall mast but still not
really enough to see over the trees. I use Virgin Cable on Main TV so
the aerial now only serves the kitchen - via a splitter with satellite
type connectors.

The splinter will reduce the signal strength by a few db so if the
kitchen is the only place it serves you could dispense with the splinter.

If you need to split, use an amplified splitter.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 12/12/2016, Lobster supposed :
Why so? Why not just 'unscrewable'?

If you have a cable TV connection, that will indeed use an F-plug/socket on
the wall, and that won't be unpluggable, so I fail to see the difference.

You can get little adaptors for not much, which turn a screw F-plug
into a push fit F-plug. I use them on my caravan to more quickly
connect the dish to the Sat input socket.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2016 12:29, DerbyBorn wrote:
Just getting around to changing plastic to brushed chrome for all the
sockets and switches in kitchen.
There is a TV Aerial outlet for a small TV. The signal is not great - Would
I be better to use a satellite type of socket rather than traditional Co-
ax?

It makes very little difference, but beware of the chrome wallplates
that have a printed circuit board rather than a straight connection
because they can be very lossy. Also beware of plates that include
voltage isolation because they stop the sky eye working.

If the signal is marginal, amplify it.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 2,
DerbyBorn writes
"Brian Gaff" wrote in
news
It might also be a good idea to find out where the cable actually
goes. if its merely a splitter off the main aerial and that has a good
signal then more investigation is needed. It could be a separate
aerial in not such a good place so again, this might be an issue with
water in the coax etc. Lots of reasons for marginal signals really.
Brian

I agree Brian. Signal is not great due to the house being low down and
having a double hipped roof, but I have a vey tall mast but still not
really enough to see over the trees. I use Virgin Cable on Main TV so the
aerial now only serves the kitchen - via a splitter with satellite type
connectors.

Splitter as opposed to booster?
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote in
news
On 12/12/2016 12:29, DerbyBorn wrote:
Just getting around to changing plastic to brushed chrome for all the
sockets and switches in kitchen.
There is a TV Aerial outlet for a small TV. The signal is not great -
Would I be better to use a satellite type of socket rather than
traditional Co- ax?

It makes very little difference, but beware of the chrome wallplates
that have a printed circuit board rather than a straight connection
because they can be very lossy. Also beware of plates that include
voltage isolation because they stop the sky eye working.

If the signal is marginal, amplify it.

Bill

Thanks Bill. Chrome plate arrives today - unseen. Hope it will be okay.
Usually Freeeview is okay - except for a break up on some channels
occassionally. I certainly don't want it to be any worse.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Clarke wrote in
news
On 12/12/2016 17:33, DerbyBorn wrote:
I agree Brian. Signal is not great due to the house being low down
and having a double hipped roof, but I have a vey tall mast but still
not really enough to see over the trees. I use Virgin Cable on Main
TV so the aerial now only serves the kitchen - via a splitter with
satellite type connectors.

The splinter will reduce the signal strength by a few db so if the
kitchen is the only place it serves you could dispense with the
splinter.

It also serves the main TV - but that is usually viewing Cable TV. Would
not want to dispense with the Freeview opportunity in case of loss of
Cable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Dec 2016 12:29:18 +0000, DerbyBorn wrote:

Just getting around to changing plastic to brushed chrome for all the
sockets and switches in kitchen.
There is a TV Aerial outlet for a small TV. The signal is not great -
Would I be better to use a satellite type of socket rather than
traditional Co- ax?

I've used two F Type connectors on a wall socket; means that I can use
them for TV or satellite depending on where I connect the other end.

For those claiming that everything should be pull out, I have a TV with
built in satellite tuner, a Virgin Tivo, and two satellite STBs all of
which use the screw in F connector. I see no reason to insert extra
connections just to be able to pull them out. If this is such an issue why
do all satellite installations come with screw in connectors?

I do have a very misty recollection of someone (could be a certain Bill
Wright) saying that the F connectors gave a slightly better connection but
the standard push in ones were used on TVs because they were cheaper.

This would probably be about 15 years ago, I think. Discussing signal
boosters/splitters.

Unless the aerial is going to run across a high traffic walkway then there
is very little trip hazard. For our lounge TV the aerial runs up inside
the chimney and then out behind the TV which is mounted on a sodding great
wall bracket. Anyone who trips over that cable is trying too damned hard.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cue a long pointless discussion about total trivia.

It should be an ampersand between "Belling" and "Lee", not a hyphen.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Dec 2016 08:34:02 GMT, DerbyBorn
wrote:

Bill Wright wrote in
news
On 12/12/2016 12:29, DerbyBorn wrote:
Just getting around to changing plastic to brushed chrome for all the
sockets and switches in kitchen.
There is a TV Aerial outlet for a small TV. The signal is not great -
Would I be better to use a satellite type of socket rather than
traditional Co- ax?

It makes very little difference, but beware of the chrome wallplates
that have a printed circuit board rather than a straight connection
because they can be very lossy. Also beware of plates that include
voltage isolation because they stop the sky eye working.

If the signal is marginal, amplify it.

Bill

Thanks Bill. Chrome plate arrives today - unseen. Hope it will be okay.
Usually Freeeview is okay - except for a break up on some channels
occassionally. I certainly don't want it to be any worse.

Is the splitter accessible? If you were to bypass it by connecting the
kitchen cable direct to the aerial with an F-type barrel connector,
you would gain at least 3.5dB at the kitchen TV and I would expect all
your signal issues to disappear. You can always reinstate the splitter
if VM has problems.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/12/2016 08:34, DerbyBorn wrote:

Thanks Bill. Chrome plate arrives today - unseen. Hope it will be okay.
Usually Freeeview is okay - except for a break up on some channels
occassionally. I certainly don't want it to be any worse.

You really shouldn't be putting up with it as it is now.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/16 01:35, Graham. wrote:

Cue a long pointless discussion about total trivia.

It should be an ampersand between "Belling" and "Lee", not a hyphen.

Only if you want to be alone in a cast of billions

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belling-Lee_connector
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote in news2qbjs$ed6$1
@gioia.aioe.org:

On 13/12/2016 08:34, DerbyBorn wrote:

Thanks Bill. Chrome plate arrives today - unseen. Hope it will be okay.
Usually Freeeview is okay - except for a break up on some channels
occassionally. I certainly don't want it to be any worse.

You really shouldn't be putting up with it as it is now.

Bill

My location is a bit marginal for Waltham (DE23 1DB)